As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy XIII, out 12/17 in Japan

• CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kami wrote: »
    Wait, there HAS to be towns. I mean, these people have to live somewhere, right?

...Right?!

I did a real basic search on 2ch to see if this was really true or not. There is at least one town, but you can't do any shopping there.

I'll play a bit more tonight, but once again, I doubt I'll have much new to report.

CygnusZ on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hear throw is insane in FF6, though.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hillean wrote: »
    From everything I've read so far, this is the Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest of the next-gen series.

Then you've been reading the accounts of liars.

The game is gorgeous and challenging, but never too much so. It sure as shit is no Mystic Quest. There are many elements which are different and in a world of morons, might be "dumbing down". In reality, there's so much going on in combat that I can't see how anyone would call the game easy or suggest that it holds your hand.

If anything, the elements which have been reduced to being more "pure", like stats (which are straight up HP, Attack Power, Magic Power) do the game, and players a great favor. All those other random stats in a game (as most JRPGs are) with no roleplaying that uses any information aside from "How hard can you hit" and "How hard can they hit you" are just filler.

I haven't been able to use the weapon upgrade system yet, but it sounds pretty cool. There's some awesome little things the game doesn't tell you about, which I think someone else mentioned, where equipping certain combinations of items reveals added abilities.

Vincent Grayson on
  • ExcalipoorExcalipoor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How's the bestiary in this guy? Did they put as much love into it as they did into 12's? I loved the bonus lore you got after you smacked a certain number of mobs.

Between here and the GAF thread, I'm starting to get the impression that summons are by no means required for any fight, if you're playing correctly. Yay!

Excalipoor on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    From the article not-linked earlier, the first six hours of the game in map form:
    56088468xfinalfantasyxi.jpg
    :?

I had such high hopes, too. I mean, I knew this wasn't going to be another FFXII, much to my chagrin, but...

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    From the article not-linked earlier, the first six hours of the game in map form:

I had such high hopes, too. I mean, I knew this wasn't going to be another FFXII, much to my chagrin, but...

Fuuuck... if thats the case these places better be riddled with puzzles.

Topia on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So we're figuring this is going to be more or less another FFX as far as linearity is concerned?

I mean, to be honest the plot might dictate linearity to some degree. That is still a little disappointing.

Granted, this is still looking like a purchase to me, unless we learn anything else horrible.

Winky on
    edited December 2009
    I can't help but laugh seeing that map posted, because I just finished the very end of that map, and it really doesn't feel like I'm just walking in a straight line at all. You're running through new areas, jumping around, climbing up and down stuff, finding small side-paths with treasure.

It's fun. Don't let some dumb map make you think the game isn't totally fucking awesome, because it is.

Vincent Grayson on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's too bad this game doesn't have an Asian-English version like Demon's Souls and Hakuna Matata did. I'd import this game so damn fast. Three months is much too long a wait!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

So...it looks like every other Final Fantasy game? They have all been very linear.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DigitalMadnessDigitalMadness Registered User new member
    edited December 2009

So...it looks like every other Final Fantasy game? They have all been very linear.

I haven't played very many Final Fantasy games, but I remember 7 and 8 being a little bit less linear than 10. Still, I would kind of like to see an FF game made in the style of Fallout 3 or Oblivion, with a more open ended environment.

DigitalMadness on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you want a non-linear SE series there's SaGa. The FF series has always been tightly focused around a strict narrative. SaGa is its opposite in the corporation. Or The Last Remnant, which is a spiritual successor to the SaGa series - but only if you play the PC remake and not the horrible 360 beta version. They rebalanced the game entirely from the ground up and made several underlying mechanics/system/character changes.

Of course, Crystal Bearers is the awesome exception.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited December 2009

Nuh-uh. Not to this degree. Except maybe X. I acknowledge XII was an anomaly in how open the areas were, but even so. FF games are made up of periods of linear corridors interspersed with run-around-town or explore-the-area-and-proceed-when-you're-ready sections. This looks to be all the former, if we're going purely on that map and what's been said, and very very little of the latter.

I'm not necessarily saying XIII doesn't have other charms, either; it may well be great fun. But this still looks even more linear than we're used to.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man I don't get why people bitch about the FF games being linear

Especially FF X. Okay, so you were only going on one path the entire time, yeah, okay

Except for the fact that every place you went to was fucking amazing as hell to go to and totally goddamn unique

I mean seriously, FF XII was like "ooh, go exploring! Too bad there's like, five environments, and you'll see them all repeated over and over and over again throughout the entire fucking game! Awesome!

Edit: FUCK YES I AM UNJAILED

Rent on
    edited December 2009
    I'm about 12 hours in.

The game is as linear as it looks. I'm not sure exactly what they were thinking by literally making the dungeons into straight lines. I hope that Square-Enix takes a page out of the Valve playbook for their next game and hires some architects to design the game world.

The other thing that really gets to me is how lifeless the world feels. Yes, setting is important, but it's also the people that inhabit a world that it come to life. FFXIII feels like a dungeon crawler. I also thought that FFXII was weak in this area as well, but FFXIII is much worse.

CygnusZ on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Games that are too obviously linear mess with immersion IMO

FFs are typically more linear than most western RPGs but not to this degree.

I'll probably wait for reviews of the full game to come out, but I'm not encouraged right now.

On the plus side, I am encouraged by what I've seen from FFXIV. Who knows when it'll be out though.

Yougottawanna on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I for one don't mind the linearity. I find it annoying to run around without a clue where to go.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited December 2009
    Honestly I'm the other way; games that are like "WE GOTTA SAVE THE WORLD GO GO GO GO GO...but, er, let's tool around in these cities and towns for like a good 3 weeks first" are really immersion-breaking

Also, people are gloom-and-dooming this game already? Really? What was the last objectively bad main-series FF released? V? III? II? Probably not V, so either II or III

So, we've had a run of at least nine fucking games that were at least "pretty good" in quality, from a total average of public opinion perspective

Rent on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Meh. I think that whole linearity argument is stupid anyway. So, that isn't really a certain with me. I'd rather have smaller spaces with more in them, than larger spaces of nothing.

And...goodness do I hate the word immersion and its overuse this generation.

Dragkonias on
    edited December 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Meh. I think that whole linearity argument is stupid anyway. So, that isn't really a certain with me. I'd rather have smaller spaces with more in them, than larger spaces of nothing.

That's a pretty false dichotomy you got there.

Even besides which, size of area =/= linearity.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009

And...goodness do I hate the word immersion and its overuse this generation.

I immersed your Mom

With my dick

Rent on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    I immersed your Mom

With my dick

You know, you just got out of jail. Like an hour ago.

A duck! on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Not really, I'm just going off how you guys use it. If you're going by plot progression, all FFs are pretty linear. Just because you can go to a side town that has no bearing on anything whatsoever before you get back to business doesn't really change that(and I doubt you guys weren't talking about areas because you're complaining about a map...which is a area).

Also about the immersion thing. I just think people use it whenever they're talking about a game mechanic they don't like. Suddenly, it's breaking immersion or what the hell ever, to the point that it doesn't really mean anything. Kind of like the internet use of emo.

Dragkonias on
    edited December 2009
    So for the people playing, I have a question. What the hell does leveling up individual roles do?

As far as I can tell, it didn't unlock new abilities, and I don't *think* it made me any stronger.

Almost 10 hours in now, and yeah, it's linear as fuck...but I don't care as it's fun to play and it fits the story. The story really would not at all lend itself to stopping anywhere to dick around. It's kinda refreshing to just be going from combat to running through dungeon to upgrading to more fighting to cutscene.

I'll be interested to see if it does actually open up later on.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited December 2009
    How far along in the story would you say you are?

Dragkonias on
    edited December 2009

Not really, I'm just going off how you guys use it. If you're going by plot progression, all FFs are pretty linear. Just because you can go to a side town that has no bearing on anything whatsoever before you get back to business doesn't really change that(and I doubt you guys weren't talking about areas because you're complaining about a map...which is a area).

Also about the immersion thing. I just think people use it whenever they're talking about a game mechanic they don't like. Suddenly, it's breaking immersion or what the hell ever, to the point that it doesn't really mean anything. Kind of like the internet use of emo.

Honestly, if you were fine with the dungeon design in FFX, I don't see FFXIII being that much of a problem. The game being linear isn't the problem with me, the problem is that I'm literally running in a straight line from one end of the game to the other (once again, not unlike FFX). Well, the other big thing is that the world is devoid of life except for my party. That's really the much bigger let-down for me.

There's still plenty good about the game. Maybe some people like running in a straight line for 50 hours.

CygnusZ on
    edited December 2009
    Well. I can understand the thing about it probably being lifeless(that whole not being many towns thing does sound kind of weird...I'm hoping it is just because you guys aren't that far into the game). Even FFX which was very straightforward in its task had to stop through a number of populated places.

Dragkonias on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, my copy is currently at the Fed-Ex facility in Alaska :(

bloodyroarxx on
    edited December 2009

I don't care about how linear the plot is; a completely linear but spectacularly told main story is part and parcel of a modern FF, part of what makes it special, even. It's really just that running in a straight line, as Cygnus put it, is boring. Combat and levelling aside, you may as well be playing a rail shooter. Spicing the area design up with a variety of both constrained and open areas with several things to do is part of what has made FF games not-boring to play despite the railroady nature of the experience.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009

I don't care about how linear the plot is; a completely linear but spectacularly told main story is part and parcel of a modern FF, part of what makes it special, even. It's really just that running in a straight line, as Cygnus put it, is boring. Combat and levelling aside, you may as well be playing a rail shooter. Spicing the area design up with a variety of both constrained and open areas with several things to do is part of what has made FF games not-boring to play despite the railroady nature of the experience.

Well, I fail to see how the shape of an area determines its content, is what I'm saying.

Dragkonias on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Also, people are gloom-and-dooming this game already? Really? What was the last objectively bad main-series FF released? V? III? II? Probably not V, so either II or III

IMO, XII horrid combat is a total deal breaker for rpgs for me.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    Yeah. XII was pretty...not good. it still has its fans though.

Dragkonias on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    XIII sounds like it stream-lined the gameplay quite a bit. It's an RPG, so it's only fair that we judge it not only for it's game portion but also for the storyline. And since I know almost nothing about it and can't see it for myself...Just going to have to wait, I guess.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think FFXII is well above-and-beyond any other installment in the series, 6 included. I can absolutely see how it's a dealbreaker for some, but the way I see it, Gambits were such a success that Bioware took notice.

For me, that's a huge pat on the back for the series.

Kami on
    edited December 2009
    XIII sounds like it stream-lined the gameplay quite a bit. It's an RPG, so it's only fair that we judge it not only for it's game portion but also for the storyline. And since I know almost nothing about it and can't see it for myself...Just going to have to wait, I guess.

Both of the main writers for XIII worked on X, that's all I needed to know.

Dragkonias on
    edited December 2009
    Kami wrote: »
    I think FFXII is well above-and-beyond any other installment in the series, 6 included. I can absolutely see how it's a dealbreaker for some, but the way I see it, Gambits were such a success that Bioware took notice.

Yeah, I loved XII, despite all its flaws. I'm a gigantic, massive fan of Matsuno & co., though.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009
    How far along in the story would you say you are?

Not very. Aside from the big events in the beginning, the last several hours have been dungeons and flashback sequences filling in details of what happened in the lead up to the game's introduction. I can tell there's a ton of stuff in the encyclopedia, but I just don't know enough Japanese to make much sense of it.

I guess a good way to put it is that the bulk of the cutscenes so far have been conversations, rather than events.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited December 2009
    So for the people playing, I have a question. What the hell does leveling up individual roles do?

As far as I can tell, it didn't unlock new abilities, and I don't *think* it made me any stronger.

Almost 10 hours in now, and yeah, it's linear as fuck...but I don't care as it's fun to play and it fits the story. The story really would not at all lend itself to stopping anywhere to dick around. It's kinda refreshing to just be going from combat to running through dungeon to upgrading to more fighting to cutscene.

I'll be interested to see if it does actually open up later on.

As far as I can tell, leveling them up does nothing,. When the Crystarium levels up again, you'll need to go through the level up nodes to reach the next "platform" of nodes.

CygnusZ on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I thought the battle system in FFXII was one of my favorite parts about that game. It had flaws, sure, but I just had a lot of fun with it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm still waiting for impressions of the over world in this game first, cuz you're essentially starting off in "Midgar" in the beginning of the game, so I can forgive the linearity there. But I agree with the complaints of linearity in Final Fantasy games. When I think Final Fantasy, I think of giant world maps where I can take my characters to explore every nooks and crannies of the game world. When I first played FFX, and finally got to look at the world map, I was quite disappointed.

RoriProfessor on
This discussion has been closed.