As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Decade is over! How was it

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    I don't give a shit about the Gregorian calendar

I'm using my calendar

the only one that matters

The French Revolution calendar was better.

10 months was cool I will grant

but 36 day months with 10-day weeks is unwieldy.

Did they take the remainder of the days as, like, free days at the end of the year? I don't really remember.

Yeah, 5 day (6 on leap years) national holiday at the Summer Solstice because it rounds things out.

moniker on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    We will start over, because that is a lot of letters

alternatively, you could return to lead your followers to the promised land

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    2001 started the new millenium

but, the fact is, when people talk about "the nineties" etc., they are referring to 1990-1999. doesn't matter if that's not technically how the decades divide, it's simply for conversations.

the nineties obviously means years that are 9x.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    We will start over, because that is a lot of letters

alternatively, you could return to lead your followers to the promised land

The End of the World is always a classic. And what better time to return and lead your followers.

Drake on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm starting a new calendar that begins today

today is the start of Year A

next year is Year B

the year after is Year C and so on and so forth until we reach Z, and then we will start at Year AA, and then AB, etc. etc.

there will be no decades or centuries, only Alphabets

today is Year A, Alphabet A
    In the Year of Our Lord, Microsoft Excel Rows.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    I'm starting a new calendar that begins today

today is the start of Year A

next year is Year B

the year after is Year C and so on and so forth until we reach Z, and then we will start at Year AA, and then AB, etc. etc.

there will be no decades or centuries, only Alphabets

today is Year A, Alphabet A
    In the Year of Our Lord, Microsoft Excel Rows.

It looks like you are trying to develop a calendar.
    Clippy.png

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JJ wrote: »
    Zephyr wrote: »
    It's not technically over until 2011.

And it sucked so much cock.

This was the worst decade since the 40s.

count how many that is
    Yes, right, but by the Gregorian calender or some crap the decade doesn't end until the beginning of 2011. Doesn't really matter IMO.

Well technically there was no year 0, we started in the year of our lord 1, so if you regard decades literally, as groups of 10 years, then this decade doesn't technically end until 2011 Given the way we have taken to regarding decades, though, I'd say that being literal is unnecessary.

Alecthar on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The politicaly correct term for our way of numbering of the years is C.E. or the Common Era. Anything before 1 C.E. is B.C.E: Before Common Era.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know it's a bad decade when you find yourself pining for the '90s.

Me, personally? I'd put this down as a wash. Some good, some bad.... but alas the bad outweighs/outshines the good.

Curly_Brace on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    hey, the nineties kicked ass as a decade

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    hey, the nineties kicked ass as a decade

From a pop culture standpoint, I gotta disagree. Unless we're talking about irony.

It's the decade that brought us Urkle and Wilson/Phillips. There's two of your four horsemen right there.

Atomika on
    edited December 2009
    hey, family matters wasn't a bad show for being a sitcom. And the 90s also gave us the fresh prince, so it gets at least a push on the "black family comedy" index

also the music was great and it gave us some of the last great cartoons. And the internet

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If Robert Mugabe bites it in the new decade I'll consider it a success.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    also the music was great and it gave us some of the last great cartoons. And the internet

The cartoons I'll grant you, but I'm not sold on the music thing. It got better as it went on, but the early-mid nineties was a musical wasteland outside of Pearl Jam and Nirvana.

I can go the rest of my life without ever hearing Taylor Dane or C&C Music Factory ever again.

Atomika on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'll look at it from the 00 to 09 perspective.

Let's see... three and a half years in highschool, a year of tech school, a year of freeloading, not quite a year trying to live with my bro, three years in Texas, and most of a year here in Portland being unemployed. That's how my life has been.

Music wise, I think things went from being stagnant and shitty to increasingly becoming better.

Film wise, I went from paying attention to not paying attention at all. So I can't comment at all.

Politics wise, the bulk of things have been super shitty.

Technology wise, it just keeps getting better and better. Though, a lot of tech showing up is frivolous stupid shit like the Kindle.

Video games wise, it sorta started out weird but I think we're in an okay spot. Economy shit aside. It could be better still, but it's not BAD as in, "Fuck this hobby."

Henroid on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So this is how the decade ends
    In a tragic turn of events, Brittany Murphy has died at the age of 32. The actress went into cardiac arrest early Sunday morning in LA, and, despite being rushed to hospital, she was dead on arrival.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So this is how the decade ends
    In a tragic turn of events, Brittany Murphy has died at the age of 32. The actress went into cardiac arrest early Sunday morning in LA, and, despite being rushed to hospital, she was dead on arrival.

We've still got plenty of time left, someone else of more stature could be lost.

Henroid on
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I always thought hover-cars were a bad idea. What if it stops working mid-flight? There's no airbag good enough to reduce the impact of a 1000-ft fall.
    sad but true. i meant more along the lines of hoverboards! and hoverbikes! equally as dangerous, but damn it, it's hovering!

retrovm on
    edited December 2009
    Y'know what's really funny about the future and hover cars and all that shit?

Back to the Future Part 2 - The year is 2015. People have hover cars, movie theaters have 3D sharks jumping out at you. Fuck, the future looks AWESOME.

The reality?

We don't have books anymore. Even in Back to the Future they had books.

Henroid on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    The kindle and its counterparts are not killing the book, please calm down.

Nerdgasmic on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    But shit education is.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited December 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    The kindle and its counterparts are not killing the book, please calm down.

Man, way to kill the mood.

Henroid on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Mostly it is that there are easier ways of obtaining information besides reading books or periodicals.

I mean I love reading and a lot of us are really emotionally invested in it.

And also we are kind of a reading subset based on the fact that we have a relatively long-form text-based forum that we are all members of for some of our our social/ information association.

But really we need to wonder what fundamentally books offer that cannot be subsumed by more modern media.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The dumbest thing I read all year was that the Kindle was a fascist device designed to destroy books, just like Hitler burned them.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This decade is when Hollywood realized it could 're-imagine' any IP and expect us to pay up like a cash piñata.

Also, this decade made us realize that our long strides in technology will be hampered by the old regime trying to keep their outdated business practices relevant and hedging on safe bets.

Source: Fake Steve Jobs: A not-so-brief chat with Randall Stephenson of AT&T

Fubear on
    edited December 2009
    Fubear wrote: »
    This decade is when Hollywood realized it could 're-imagine' any IP and expect us to pay up like a cash piñata.

Also, this decade made us realize that our long strides in technology will be hampered by the old regime trying to keep their outdated business practices relevant and hedging on safe bets.

They were probably justified. AS shitty as GI Joe and Transformers II were they probably made a fuckton of money.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited December 2009
    The dumbest thing I read all year was that the Kindle was a fascist device designed to destroy books, just like Hitler burned them.

They must've forgotten that the contents of the books are preserved within the Kindle.

Henroid on
    edited December 2009
    Mostly it is that there are easier ways of obtaining information besides reading books or periodicals.

And also we are kind of a reading subset based on the fact that we have a relatively long-form text-based forum that we are all members of for some of our our social/ information association.

But really we need to wonder what fundamentally books offer that cannot be subsumed by more modern media.

I mean, for one thing, they don't offer direct corporate control over what we can and can't read on our new doohickeys.

Or the inherent irony of the Amazon Kindle 'accidentally' deleting George Orwell's 1984 from the Kindles of people who had paid for it.

Fubear on
    edited December 2009

They were probably justified. AS shitty as GI Joe and Transformers II were they probably made a fuckton of money.

Giving anyone from the Wayans family any role, in any movie, under any circumstances, does not come off as justifiable.

Fubear on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pretty good decade. Finished high school... Almost finished college... Got married. Made some money.

Also lost 3 jobs, but hey... Thems the breaks.

urahonky on
    edited December 2009
    Have any of these companies actually censored works available for these platforms?

And if Kindle-esque devices miraculously become more widespread than paper, writing utensils, and type, they would surely be almost entirely user operated and maintained.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited December 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    And if Kindle-esque devices miraculously become more widespread than paper, writing utensils, and type, they would surely be almost entirely user operated and maintained.

Every other medium where those bolded items are used would have to adapt at the same time. The thing is, I think the Kindle paves the way for it to happen finally. Imagine classrooms with laptops built into the desks simply for writing or doing math on. Desk jobs too.

Henroid on
    edited December 2009

There are a lot of them and they already exist?

I mean, as it stands only something approaching 20% of all newly published materials are available in an electronic format. And that's today going forward. Even assuming that we hit 100% of everything that gets published is also available on the web in some way or another in the next decade there's, I dunno, 600 years worth of mass produced literature out there and how much scribed work before that which is nowhere near getting formatted for the digital age. Theoretically that isn't a problem, but good luck getting census data for 1910 if you aren't by a Federal Depository Library.

moniker on
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

They must've forgotten that the contents of the books are preserved within the Kindle.

Man, they deleted peoples copies of 1984.

1984 man! What's next, there kindle copies of Farenheit 451?

It's Bookopalypse Now!

Drake on
    edited December 2009

I mean, for one thing, they don't offer direct corporate control over what we can and can't read on our new doohickeys.

Or the inherent irony of the Amazon Kindle 'accidentally' deleting George Orwell's 1984 from the Kindles of people who had paid for it.

That isn't what happened and you should know better.

moniker on
    edited December 2009
    What do you mean by adapt, Mr. Henroid?

Nerdgasmic on
    edited December 2009

At the risk of sounding combative, what did happen?

I would like to know better.

Fubear on
    edited December 2009
    If I'm remembering this right, whoever put out the Kindle edition of 1984 didn't have publishing rights for it.

Drake on
    edited December 2009

At the risk of sounding combative, what did happen?

I would like to know better.

Amazon was caught selling books that they didn't have the right to sell and the copyright holder was none too pleased.

moniker on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's not technically over until 2011.

what

since when was 1980 not part of the 80's

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg