As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy XIII, out 12/17 in Japan

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm still waiting for impressions of the over world in this game first, cuz you're essentially starting off in "Midgar" in the beginning of the game, so I can forgive the linearity there. But I agree with the complaints of linearity in Final Fantasy games. When I think Final Fantasy, I think of giant world maps where I can take my characters to explore every nooks and crannies of the game world. When I first played FFX, and finally got to look at the world map, I was quite disappointed.

I've never understood this sentiment, as even the first 9 FF games with overworld maps didn't tend to have much of anything *in* them, other than the next place you were supposed to go. Maybe one or two "secret" areas that you didn't just go to in the natural course of playing the game. It's not like say...Dragon Quest 8, which actually did have a huge overworld worth exploring with nooks and crannies that had hidden monsters and treasure and whatnot.

And even then, DQ8's overworld isn't any different than FF12's.

Vincent Grayson on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm still waiting for impressions of the over world in this game first, cuz you're essentially starting off in "Midgar" in the beginning of the game, so I can forgive the linearity there. But I agree with the complaints of linearity in Final Fantasy games. When I think Final Fantasy, I think of giant world maps where I can take my characters to explore every nooks and crannies of the game world. When I first played FFX, and finally got to look at the world map, I was quite disappointed.

I've never understood this sentiment, as even the first 9 FF games with overworld maps didn't tend to have much of anything *in* them, other than the next place you were supposed to go. Maybe one or two "secret" areas that you didn't just go to in the natural course of playing the game. It's not like say...Dragon Quest 8, which actually did have a huge overworld worth exploring with nooks and crannies that had hidden monsters and treasure and whatnot.

And even then, DQ8's overworld isn't any different than FF12's.

DQ8 can suck my tit. Yeah, I said it. I'm a blasphemer. The random battle every two fucking steps while traveling on foot was beyond annoying and ruined exploration for me. The story was also terrible, but that's another topic altogether.

Anyway, if FFXIII really is fairly linear with no large world map, I don't think I care too much. Most JRPGs don't really have that much to do in the world map, even if they provide one. You can find a few treasure chests, maybe fight a secret boss in a secret dungeon, but it's generally nothing too extraordinary or that memorable. I mostly play them to get to the next story segment. A big map is icing on the cake, of course, but it's not my personal priority for JRPGs.

There are a few I can name with amazing side content that really pulled me in, however. I'm just saying, in general that doesn't seem to happen that often. More than not it's just really shitty padding, and painful if you're a completionist. Fuck you, Star Ocean Last Hope.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So far, all I've heard, is that it's like FFX and X-2 made some sort of baby. Just being a fan of the combat/character development of those games, that kind of sells me on it.

I just hope it doesn't turn into Eternal Sonata, where every time one of those Precious Moments dolls started to talk about being unfairly taxed, I wanted to skip every cutscene and further loathe that game.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I personally wouldn't mind a very linear game, but from what I've seen of videos of people playing the Japanese version it really FEELS like you're on a straight line, and it looks like some sort of deity came down and made sure the only path available to you lead you straight to where you're supposed to go and everything else is blocked off. I mean I don't mind a linear game, but when everything really feels like one road through town things gets a bit weird and it takes you out of the experience. I'm hoping that's only what I've seen, and some of the game at least looks and feels like there's more to it, even if there technically isn't.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited December 2009
    I personally wouldn't mind a very linear game, but from what I've seen of videos of people playing the Japanese version it really FEELS like you're on a straight line, and it looks like some sort of deity came down and made sure the only path available to you lead you straight to where you're supposed to go and everything else is blocked off. I mean I don't mind a linear game, but when everything really feels like one road through town things gets a bit weird and it takes you out of the experience. I'm hoping that's only what I've seen, and some of the game at least looks and feels like there's more to it, even if there technically isn't.

See, now that's something I can complain about. Simply being linear and lacking lots of side-content or a giant world map, though, I don't really care about.

I just hope most of these people are still early on in the game. FFXIII could be a 50-60 hour JRPG, right? Maybe it does blossom as it goes along? Even if it doesn't, it's not as if I could stop myself from getting the game. It's Final Fantasy for crying out loud. I have to have it regardless of disappointment!

Dashui on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kami wrote: »
    I think FFXII is well above-and-beyond any other installment in the series, 6 included. I can absolutely see how it's a dealbreaker for some, but the way I see it, Gambits were such a success that Bioware took notice.

For me, that's a huge pat on the back for the series.

Putting it that way, I suppose I approached FF12 the wrong way. You can play it like a Bioware game! Just set your dudes to do what you want them to do. Either way, I still preferred turning them completely off and micromanaging the whole affair.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh hey, I just had one of those moments where you finally found out the name of an artist who performs a song that you've heard on the radio and liked for a while, but you never knew who did it.

The artist? Leona Lewis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zlt57Q7ZVU

I'm suddenly more excited about having her in FFXIII.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2009
    Enjoying having a vagina, UnbreakableVow? ;)

Alright, the song you linked isn't that bad, but the one for FFXIII? Urgh.

Of course we've had like a ten page discussion on that song before.

Dashui on
    edited December 2009
    It's been bugging the fuck out of me because whenever I hear that song at work, they never say who it is, ever. Ever.

I still haven't heard the XIII one...I heard the one that someone initially linked that wasn't actually the XIII song.

UnbreakableVow on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    She did that song? Shit, I like that song.
    /starts looking up more Leona Lewis

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited December 2009
    She did that song? Shit, I like that song.
    /starts looking up more Leona Lewis

Not like it matters that she "did" that song. She didn't write it. Jonathan Rotem and Andrea Martin wrote it, and they wrote precisely 0 of her other stuff. Her albums are a veritable army of different writers. She only helped on two songs on her first album. As a side conversation, it's "artists" like her that make me despise the music industry as a whole.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Guess who else doesn't write his own songs?

Elton John.

There goes that stupid argument. Sometimes talented singers can't write, and sometimes talented writers can't sing. Collaborations.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2009

Elton John.

There goes that stupid argument. Sometimes talented singers can't write, and sometimes talented writers can't sing. Collaborations.

I don't think you can compare that. From what I know Elton John writes his own music for the most part, and he gets someone else to do lyrics. So he does write the "songs," and he can play instruments, obviously. And even so there's a pretty big fucking difference between that sort of collaboration and the shit that's going on with Lewis. I mean seriously go look up the songwriting credits. It's fucking insane and disgusting. It's not collaborating anymore when 4-5 different people write each song, and each song is another 4-5 different people. That's just a clusterfuck orgy of writers, and it's a wonder they can keep any sort of semblance of coherency on her albums. And then on her debut CD her fucking name isn't even listed anywhere on those credits for all but TWO songs. She's not an artist. She's nothing but an overproduced "product" and a piece of shit showpiece for a shitty music industry and I absolutely abhor the fact that FF has included tripe like that.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Elton John.

Vow, maybe you should go look at the credits of classic Elton tunes, because he has writer's credit on...well, all of them.

On topic: I thought Jeremy Parish wrote a pretty good analysis on how he feels the removal of MP and other aspects of "dumbing down" the system has led to better and more exciting battles.

metaghost on
    edited December 2009
    She does do the vocals, you know.

By all means, she is an artist.

And yes, as it "officially" goes, Elton John wrote his music and Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics. But guess what happened when they split? Both his music and the lyrics went to absolute shit when he had to write for himself.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    She does do the vocals, you know.

By all means, she is an artist.

And yes, as it "officially" goes, Elton John wrote his music and Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics. But guess what happened when they split? Both his music and the lyrics went to absolute shit when he had to write for himself.

*Cough* I want love *Cough*

ANTVGM64 on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My musical taste is superior to everyone else musical taste, amiright?
    (And I will try to justify and prove it any way I can.)

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    My musical taste is superior to everyone else musical taste, amiright?
    (And I will try to justify and prove it any way I can.)

Yeah, we're absolutely done with this tangent. Discuss the song for all I care, but discussion about the recording industry can go to D&D.

A duck! on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh thank god.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009
    I guess since we're on the subject of the music, but more to the FFXIII point: Has anyone heard the original theme song in the Japanese version yet? I'm still wondering if it's something relegated to the end or if it's played before that point at some time. Also, are there themes that are reminiscent of it throughout the game that anyone's heard? I mean does it integrate like Melodies of Life and Eyes on Me did?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited December 2009
    I can't recall the tune of the theme song, but it has definitely played at least once already. I'm not sure if it's integrated into the songs, but the main combat theme has shown up in bits and pieces in other, more subdued tracks.

I obviously can't rate the score at 15 hours in, but so far it's mostly good...but not very memorable. I'd say it's like FFX, in that there's one or two tracks that've just kinda sucked, but it's been mostly good with only a few really awesome songs so far.

I know there's some amazing combat tracks later in the game though.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited December 2009
    Man, you know what I would love? More information on this weapon/accessory upgrading.

I mean, I figured out how to do it, but I feel like there must be certain items that are meant to be used for upgrading certain weapons or accessories. And of course I can buy some upgrade items as well, but I haven't a clue which ones I should buy for what.

Vincent Grayson on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I do not get the linearity complaints. The only FF that wasn't linear as all hell (barring 2 and 3 because I haven't played them), was 6, and even then it didn't stop being linear until you got the airship. Which is basically the same for the others; get airship, go exploring but until then enjoy your rails. I am not expecting ff13 to be any different.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited December 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    I do not get the linearity complaints. The only FF that wasn't linear as all hell (barring 2 and 3 because I haven't played them), was 6, and even then it didn't stop being linear until you got the airship. Which is basically the same for the others; get airship, go exploring but until then enjoy your rails. I am not expecting ff13 to be any different.

Even when you get the airship, it's still linear. There's only one place to go to advance the story.

It's only really non-linear in WoR, given how much optional content there is.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited December 2009

From what I'm understanding, though, in 13 you really don't even get a chance to interact with any NPCs or explore a town or something. I realize the whole series has been linear, but this apparently pushes it much further than it has been before. And from what I've seen not only is it linear in dungeon design, but it FEELS extremely linear to the point where it seems like it'll really take me out of the experience. Again, though, I've only seen a bit of streaming from the Japanese version, and maybe it does change later.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited December 2009

From what I'm understanding, though, in 13 you really don't even get a chance to interact with any NPCs or explore a town or something. I realize the whole series has been linear, but this apparently pushes it much further than it has been before. And from what I've seen not only is it linear in dungeon design, but it FEELS extremely linear to the point where it seems like it'll really take me out of the experience. Again, though, I've only seen a bit of streaming from the Japanese version, and maybe it does change later.

I think some people are getting confused here, yeah. There's a difference between linear plot and linear gameplay, and maybe "linear" isn't even the right word for it.

Mandated, might be more the word. You are mandated to go down the single, tightly constrained path in the area that eventually leads to the next cutscene. In previous FFs there were sections like this, but there were also plenty of sections where you go around talking to people or solving puzzles or exploring areas and moving on when you were ready. Think of the first village after Tidus wakes up and meets Wakka. Linear in plot, yes. Linear in that you can only move forwards along a single path, no. You can go talk to different people, go into different huts, and so on. And then when you're done you go talk to the right people and move the plot along.

If you look on the map, there's barely any side-passages to go down, or anything. It's a straight run from boss to boss, cutscene to cutscene.

To be clear, it seems like there are more open, town-like areas this in the game - just very very very few of them, and none in the first six hours of the game, it seems.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009

I think some people are getting confused here, yeah. There's a difference between linear plot and linear gameplay, and maybe "linear" isn't even the right word for it.

Mandated, might be more the word. You are mandated to go down the single, tightly constrained path in the area that eventually leads to the next cutscene. In previous FFs there were sections like this, but there were also plenty of sections where you go around talking to people or solving puzzles or exploring areas and moving on when you were ready. Think of the first village after Tidus wakes up and meets Wakka. Linear in plot, yes. Linear in that you can only move forwards along a single path, no. You can go talk to different people, go into different huts, and so on. And then when you're done you go talk to the right people and move the plot along.

If you look on the map, there's barely any side-passages to go down, or anything. It's a straight run from boss to boss, cutscene to cutscene.

To be clear, it seems like there are more open, town-like areas this in the game - just very very very few of them, and none in the first six hours of the game, it seems.

I get why people are bitching...but the problem is that people are asking for something "just because" when it doesn't serve the story of the game.

There is no stopping, shopping around, talking to some dudes and doing a few sidequests because none of that fits with the story that is being told. You and every other character are on the run from the beginning of the game on (at least to the point I'm at). A story event early on makes it so that you won't be interacting with people because for lack of a better comparison, you're walking around with a scarlet letter on your chest.

I think the bulk of the problem with FFXIII isn't anything that is actually wrong with the game so much as it is that people want something else, and FFXIII isn't that game. My understanding is that FFVersus XIII will be more along that route, with towns and shopping and a world to explore.

This isn't like that though, nor should it be.

It's a fantastic game with solid gameplay, amazing graphics and sound, and a great set of characters who interact far more than in any previous FF title. The story itself is pretty cool, although nothing too unusual for an FF title. Almost every complaint I've heard about the game so far (which is largely from people not playing it) seems to be based around what they want the game to be, rather than taking issue with the game that is there.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I do feel like I'm coming across as overly negative. The linearity comes as a bit of a surprise to me, but I'm sure it's a totally enjoyable experience in other ways. I'm just not sure how well I'm going to be able to get over that one issue.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009
    It's just posts like this one on neogaf that get me worried:
    ...I mean even FFX had towns and other stuff to do along the way. I think people think we are exaggerating when we say that it has been mostly run down path, fight, watch cutscene for the majority of the game. But that is exactly what it has been, without exception.

Maybe I should make it clear why I am so disappointed. I always enjoy exploring the worlds in RPGs. The towns, NPCs, quests and other details are all important for me to be immersed in the world. The world in FFXIII just feels dead and disconnected to me. It is just a bunch of linear dungeons held together by cutscenes. It feels more like a goddamn Bouncer sequel than a FF game to me :(:(:(

That's not someone just hearing about the game and being disappointed, this is someone who's playing it right now and says that.

Personally, I know I'll still really like the game. Hell, I'll love the game. I did like the Bouncer, and I don't mind linearity sometimes. The thing that bothers me, though, is that it seems like this game really REALLY won't scratch that same itch that other FFs have, and it's an itch I was really REALLY hoping to get taken care of with this game, seeing as how the RPG field this gen has been dwindling.

As it stands, it seems like I'll enjoy the game more as a sort of Uncharted 2 like experience rather than a Final Fantasy one, which is cool, it'll just take a bit to get used to that fact, seeing as my hype was obviously for a new Final Fantasy.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
    edited December 2009
    This is a good point. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with being disappointed that a new FF game doesn't scratch the same itch every other FF game has been designed to scratch. It's kind of why you go to FF in the first place. Big story, big world, gorgeous visuals.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009
    This is a good point. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with being disappointed that a new FF game doesn't scratch the same itch every other FF game has been designed to scratch. It's kind of why you go to FF in the first place. Big story, big world, gorgeous visuals.

And FFXIII has all of those things. The world *is* big, the dungeons are expansive and feature plenty of treasure and combat. I think the map linearity is largely an issue of perception, because they really don't feel like one long straight line at all while playing the game.

Vincent Grayson on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    towns in jrpgs = that fucking place I gotta go to buy new shit why does it take so long to walk through.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

And FFXIII has all of those things. The world *is* big, the dungeons are expansive and feature plenty of treasure and combat. I think the map linearity is largely an issue of perception, because they really don't feel like one long straight line at all while playing the game.

That reminds me.
    Do chests have random items in them? Do I need to sit for hours resetting my game to get a Ribbon, or something similar, because chests only have a 10% chance of spawning, a 30% chance of having an item and not money, and a 1% chance of having the item people want instead of ANOTHER FUCKING KNOT OF RUST.

silence1186 on
    edited December 2009

That reminds me.
    Do chests have random items in them? Do I need to sit for hours resetting my game to get a Ribbon, or something similar, because chests only have a 10% chance of spawning, a 30% chance of having an item and not money, and a 1% chance of having the item people want instead of ANOTHER FUCKING KNOT OF RUST.

As best I can tell, no. Chests are what they were in all previous non-XII FF games. You get money, items, occasionally a good accessory or weapon, the usual.

You can bet that chests which are guarded will have something pretty sweet in them, but sometimes the fights to get them are fucking nuts.

The only thing I'm kinda iffy on in the game is the itemization. Once you open up upgrading, 9 times out of 10, a new weapon will be weaker than one you've upgraded a level or two, so you'll rarely want to switch to it. Lightning has been using the same weapon (2nd one I found) for the last 12 hours or so because switching to even the next most recent one is a *huge* drop in power.

I wager this will be less of an issue once things open up and I can farm for upgrading materials, but for now, there's just not enough stuff to do much more than upgrade what people currently have equipped.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Data Center Operations Systems Engineer Silicon Valley, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can't wait till FFXIII hits US in March!!

Dakinggamer87 on
    My Game Collection
    Dakinggamer's Paradise

PAX Prime 2015 - hotel room [] 4 day badge [√]
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is there any Zodiac Spear bullshit where opening a few generic-looking chests or engaging in normal RPG spelunking will cockblock an ultimate weapon or spell? That design decision in XII will always baffle me.

Nightslyr on
    edited December 2009
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Is there any Zodiac Spear bullshit where opening a few generic-looking chests or engaging in normal RPG spelunking will cockblock an ultimate weapon or spell? That design decision in XII will always baffle me.

I have no idea. I'm sure there'll be something that requires metagame knowledge to do...it's almost a tradition at this point (see also, Zodiac Spear, Excalibur 2, Golden Chocobos, etc)

Granted, the chocobos *could* be done without a guide, but it took so goddamn long that I can't believe anyone would have gone through with it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I have no idea. I'm sure there'll be something that requires metagame knowledge to do...it's almost a tradition at this point (see also, Zodiac Spear, Excalibur 2, Golden Chocobos, etc)

Granted, the chocobos *could* be done without a guide, but it took so goddamn long that I can't believe anyone would have gone through with it.

I don't mind the meta quests. I just feel that XII's approach was the wrong way to go. I understand a time sink quest like chocobo breeding, and a speed run quest like Excalibur 2. Even the lightning dodging and butterfly catching make sense to me. But avoiding four generic chests? I dunno... to me, it would've made more sense if it was an avoid ALL chests challenge.

Nightslyr on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    X has a lot of shit to find. We'll see about this one, but I think like a lot of normally content heavy franchises first dip into the HD pool this game is going to be a little light on shit to do.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Eh, it wasn't that bad. I did my first Gold Chocobo without any sort of guide. And not from Ruby Weapon either.

The Chocobo Sage gives you all the information you'll need to get a gold if you listen to everything he says.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

This discussion has been closed.