As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So no flying cars in 2010, but...

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's got to be better than working behind the snack counter. I've read some horror stories about simply sliding from one end to the other on the permanent butter-and-grease lining on the floor lest you fall and get yourself covered in shit.

My first job was the snack counter at a movie theater. Honestly, the floor wasn't that bad. But the hot dogs, my god. You probably already realize this, but you should never, EVER eat a hot dog from a movie theater.

They sat on this weird heating tray all day where they are constantly rotated, and if nobody bought them, that's okay. Because management would tell the workers to simply put them in plastic bags, and refrigerate them overnight so they could be used in the morning. This would continue until the hot dogs were either bought, or mangled beyond recognition. I always tried to throw them away when no one was looking...

They also told us to clean that heating tray thing (which was absolutely disgusting and covered in some sort of black sludge) with lemon lime soda.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    It's got to be better than working behind the snack counter. I've read some horror stories about simply sliding from one end to the other on the permanent butter-and-grease lining on the floor lest you fall and get yourself covered in shit.

My first job was the snack counter at a movie theater. Honestly, the floor wasn't that bad. But the hot dogs, my god. You probably already realize this, but you should never, EVER eat a hot dog from a movie theater.

They sat on this weird heating tray all day where they are constantly rotated, and if nobody bought them, that's okay. Because management would tell the workers to simply put them in plastic bags, and refrigerate them overnight so they could be used in the morning. This would continue until the hot dogs were either bought, or mangled beyond recognition. I always tried to throw them away when no one was looking...

They also told us to clean that heating tray thing (which was absolutely disgusting and covered in some sort of black sludge) with lemon lime soda.

When I worked concession we threw those bitches out every night...or we could eat them but nobody did that.
    One disgusting thing we did do is not throw the first batch of popcorn out.
    I still wonder if anybody became sick from the kettle cleaner.
    Oh and the mold in the carbonated water lines that feed into the soda dispensers. That was nasty.

Rinder on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh god, the kettle cleaner shit is intense

I would get the most terrible headaches when I had to use it for cleaning those machines.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I am posting this from the sky, you guys

Which airline?

'murricun

cost me twelve bucks but totally worth it

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    omg guys I am sooo high right now

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    omg guys I am sooo high right now

this is beautiful

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A friend of mine who used to work in a cinema used to say the worst thing about working there was the combined smell of popcorn and coke remnants after a few hours of sitting in a plastic bag. Likened it to rotting hell

Quirk on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fireflower wrote: »
    Drew-B wrote: »
    If you want to talk about soul sucking, I've got work stories that involve cleaning up menstrual blood...
    I'm not squicked out by menstrual blood. The issue is whether you as a person are fulfilled in your job. Stock options or minimum wage, antiseptic or messy, glamorous or modest, the only issue is your potential and whether it's being realized. And it's hard for me to imagine the potential of a human being topping out at tearing tickets in half.

My first 'job' when I was 11 or so years old I had to help my mom with her janitorial work, since it was a contract work and she gets paid a set amount no matter how long it took her.

Well, I was in charge of cleaning the bath rooms. And holy shit did women menstruate a lot.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My favorite part about "the future" right now is that Blu-ray has made all stores liquidate their DVD collections, resulting in a high availability of cheap, non-pirated movies. I wonder how many of these I'm going to just end up throwing in the trash someday...

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    The Geek wrote: »
    But man, if we just legalize pot we won't need to, like, spend nearly as much on corrections, dude, thats how we'll fix the budget.

...God damn it.

The reason marijuana will never be legalized:

Aww dude, voting was yesterday? Dang, bro.

never underestimate the power of determined stoners

these are the sorts of folks that organize burningman

if it means that pot won't be criminalized, I can guarantee you'd see a line of bob marley shirts waiting to get into every polling place in the country

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I still find it funny when there's a huge line of people in line waiting to buy tickets, while 8 e-ticket terminals are right there with no one using them.

I dont get this. I mean, people, it take like 20 seconds to get your tickets using these machines. Why the fuck you're waiting in line?

Around here its a dollar extra per ticket to use the ticket terminals versus standing in line. I'll only go online if Im buying ahead of time for a big ticket movie.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fireflower wrote: »
    If you want to talk about soul sucking, I've got work stories that involve cleaning up menstrual blood...
    I'm not squicked out by menstrual blood. The issue is whether you as a person are fulfilled in your job. Stock options or minimum wage, antiseptic or messy, glamorous or modest, the only issue is your potential and whether it's being realized. And it's hard for me to imagine the potential of a human being topping out at tearing tickets in half.

Well, I was in charge of cleaning the bath rooms. And holy shit did women menstruate a lot.

Hell yes man they straight up menstruate all the time

Drew-B on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I still find it funny when there's a huge line of people in line waiting to buy tickets, while 8 e-ticket terminals are right there with no one using them.

I dont get this. I mean, people, it take like 20 seconds to get your tickets using these machines. Why the fuck you're waiting in line?

Around here its a dollar extra per ticket to use the ticket terminals versus standing in line. I'll only go online if Im buying ahead of time for a big ticket movie.

That is some bullshit. If anything they should be charging less because they don't have to hire some under appreciative kid to do the job.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    speaking of futuretech, I got to see the new 787 do its second flight ever today when I picked up Callius to bring him to the airport

that is a seriously huge fucking plane

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

it occurs to me that that black sludge may well have been semi-burnt residue from the lemon lime soda, mixed with the grease of the hot dogs.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    I honestly just realized for the first time that these forums are completely ad-free.

There used to be ads a few years ago. I forget when they arrived and disappeared, though.

used to have google ads. people were clicking on them so frequently that google accused the site of running bots. instead of arguing, PA just said whatever and stopped running any ads at all

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, it just occurred to me after I mindlessly refreshed a thread five or six times in row while totally spacing out.

I just got dollar signs in my eyes at the thought of people coming to the site I work for and mindlessly refreshing pages all day long.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i also worked at a movie theater

our managers would count the hot dogs and if any were missing you would get in trouble

inventory control baby

also we used to clean the grills with degreaser and i am sure that gave the meat a special flavor

in conclusion for the love of god don't eat those hot dogs

Quoth on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2009
    Ein wrote: »
    I got a droid [phone] the other day, the motorola one.

Turns out these things (android phones in general) are able to listen to you speak, transcribe what you just spoke into text, then translate that text into another language, and then synthesize that translation into voice. I can ask a question, and a second later have the phone ask it in Spanish, French, German, whatever.

That is fucking awesome.

C-3po just went obsolete to a tiny little cellphone

it's like M-TD!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Em_Teedee

oh thank god I'm not the only one to think of this

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    it occurs to me that that black sludge may well have been semi-burnt residue from the lemon lime soda, mixed with the grease of the hot dogs.

This is a good theory! That is very likely what happened! Either way, it resulted in a truly horrific material being produced that was smeared all over those dogs all goddamn day.

Quoth, aw man, you couldn't even get rid of the nasty dogs? I was lucky in that our managers didn't really care about inventory on them, only on the popcorn bags and such.

Whenever somebody asked for a hot dog, I would wince a bit, and suggest something else. God, seeing somebody chomp down on one of those puppies is stomach-churning

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    zoom. zip. smash.zoom. zip. smash. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Caulk Bite wrote: »

This is a good theory! That is very likely what happened! Either way, it resulted in a truly horrific material being produced that was smeared all over those dogs all goddamn day.

Quoth, aw man, you couldn't even get rid of the nasty dogs? I was lucky in that our managers didn't really care about inventory on them, only on the popcorn bags and such.

Whenever somebody asked for a hot dog, I would wince a bit, and suggest something else. God, seeing somebody chomp down on one of those puppies is stomach-churning

That is truly foul. When I worked at a movie theater, we only had soda and popcorn. And it was still disgusting. I can't imagine adding anything vaguely resembling meat into that mix.

Actually, that's not right. We had nachos with chili-cheese and that was completely gross and sometimes the bag would leak and there would be chili crust all over the dispenser and that was....ew. That is a job I do not miss.

zoom. zip. smash. on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    what a bunch of fucking pussies bitching about movie theater food

you act like you wouldn't eat a two day old burrito from the gas station that you found on your car floorboard

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    zoom. zip. smash.zoom. zip. smash. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dude, that burrito would absolutely be less gross than most movie theater food.

zoom. zip. smash. on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    popcorn was without a doubt the safest option

it was pretty much made every five minutes, contrary to people's bizarre belief that only the current batch is "fresh"

Quoth on
  • Options
    cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm hoping nachos is another safe way of going about movie theater food.

I get them every time.

With cheese.

On the side.

And sneak in like a liter-a-cola. (for two people)

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    that video from way back towards the beginning of the thread, with the comedian bitching about idiots taking our level of technology for granted, is pretty much spot-on.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cowmeet wrote: »
    I'm hoping nachos is another safe way of going about movie theater food.

I get them every time.

With cheese.

On the side.

The only thing older than the hot dogs is that "cheese" dip.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm apparently quite smart to just stick with candy and soda

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    to be fair, the cheese comes in sealed bags so there's not a lot that can be done to contaminate it

at least that's how it was at my theater

and again, usually the nacho turnover was high enough that they had to be packed fresh on a regular basis, which for us involved putting on gloves and stuffing handfuls of nachos into those little plastic containers

Quoth on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    to be fair, the cheese comes in sealed bags so there's not a lot that can be done to contaminate it

Actually I'm pretty sure that there's not much that can be done to contaminate it because life is unable to sustain itself on the dip.

It never gets mold or bacteria in it because they can't survive that preservative wasteland..

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The nachos at the AMC's I go to are packaged Tostito's and packaged cheese.
    Also the hot dogs are Oscar Meyer and at least look like they're turned over regularly

The Arclight though man,
    They have gourmet shit
    Smoked sausages with watermelon BBQ sauce
    That stuff is delicious

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    yeah i worked at a regal

totally different approach it would seem

Quoth on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm excited for the prospect of private corporations handling the routine resupply and transport missions to the ISS for NASA so that NASA can do the cool stuff.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I said it before but its not the future until we get the dick sucking machine from THX 1138

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm excited for the prospect of private corporations handling the routine resupply and transport missions to the ISS for NASA so that NASA can do the cool stuff.

Like how Oscar Meyer and Tostitos provide the food at the movie theater so they can focus on showing movies

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also speaking of movie theaters I went into a bathroom at one with automatic flush, automatic soap dispenser, automatic faucet, and automatic hand towel dispenser.

I felt like I was in star trek, it was so cool

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I usually dont buy any food or drink in the cinema any more.

Becuase that shit is expensive

101 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Also speaking of movie theaters I went into a bathroom at one with automatic flush, automatic soap dispenser, automatic faucet, and automatic hand towel dispenser.

All the one's here are like that
    And thank goodness I get so grossed out in filthy bathrooms
    Also I only buy popcorn and that's because my wife likes it
    It's not really a big deal to bring in our own candy and drinks
    In the past though I've brought in; pretzels, submarine sandwiches, milkshakes, tacos and hamburgers

BusterK on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BusterK wrote: »

Like how Oscar Meyer and Tostitos provide the food at the movie theater so they can focus on showing movies

i don't understand :<

i just read about this in the new popular science

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BusterK wrote: »
    FirmSkater wrote: »

All the one's here are like that
    And thank goodness I get so grossed out in filthy bathrooms
    Also I only buy popcorn and that's because my wife likes it
    It's not really a big deal to bring in our own candy and drinks
    In the past though I've brought in; pretzels, submarine sandwiches, milkshakes, tacos and hamburgers

My friends and I had just ate at the outback steakhouse right next to a Lowe's Theater, and ordered a full helping of buffalo wings for the movies.

We walked in, sat down, and as soon as the styrafoam seal was broken, the movie theater smelled like a goddamned kitchen. EVERYONE could smell that shit.

But it was good.

And about technology in bathrooms, UNH has flushless urinals, i'm not talkin about motion sensor ones, they use lighter than piss liquid to push the piss down into the drain, reusing the liquid over and over with no problems.Also we have these hand dryers that dry your hands instantly.

As in there are two openings, you stick your hands down in deep, wait 3 seconds, and pull them out, dry as a packaged napkin.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png