As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X 3, in which with drive long, hard ships into tight, quivering gates

• FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I realized that I started as a Terran defender and got given that little scout/cruiser kind of ship. I sold my old ship and started using this, but I probably just severely weakened myself, right? Should I start a new game or just try to save enough for a good M5-ish ship?

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    no point ever buying an M5

Terran ships use those electro magnetic cannon things

go to a military station and quickly check how much they sell for ;)

I need me a new ship

my good character has a good thing going, but my biggest ship is a cargo ship (no problem, awesome, actually) but my biggest combat ship is a missile cruiser, and while technically they are the most powerful ship, and while I have built a 50 million circuit complex to build it missiles, it isn't really something to cruise in

I need me a good M7

or, maybe an M2, but fuck buying one, so I gotta let my circuit complex get me some missiles, so I can get my cruiser out to go enslave some bitches

The Black Hunter on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Faffel wrote: »
    I realized that I started as a Terran defender and got given that little scout/cruiser kind of ship. I sold my old ship and started using this, but I probably just severely weakened myself, right? Should I start a new game or just try to save enough for a good M5-ish ship?

Uh, as a Terran you start out in an M4 and get given an M5. God knows why you'd want ANOTHER M5. Trade up to an M3, then an M6.

Synthetic Orange on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    3 transports and I'm still making a buttload more from selling captured ships, oh well.

up to 3.5mill now and I've just done the story mission where you rescue the dudes from the military sector and bring them back to heretic's end, do you get any ships above M3 level from mission rewards in the main story?

L|ama on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Money making goes up exponentially

enemies spawn in ratio with your own dank ride

though, my greatest moment was knocking down some uppity yaki Destroyer with my M7

Bitch didn't stand a chance, though it was amazing seeing, instead of a horde of insects, one gigantic destroyer pop from dat quiverin blue bitch

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2009
    what kinda ship do you need to build factories

L|ama on
    edited December 2009
    Let's see, you get a MT and a corvette towards the end. But by that time my early investments had let me buy a battleship already.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited December 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    what kinda ship do you need to build factories

a 20-25 mil cargo ship, titan sized shit

if you arent into hijacking and that sort of high profile war shit and stealing one, you can usually hire one in the main sectors of each race.

if you want to make a serious complex, you gotta get your own

The Black Hunter on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This thread right here is why I bought Terran Conflict.

You all are fuckers for making me spend money on games.

Buttcleft on
    edited December 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Get plasma burst generators and ruin shit

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2009

i want to fly around and do some pewpewing fo sho'

Since flying in this is supposed to be easier than Reunion.

and I've long given up trying to be a not-dead pilot in Reunion

Buttcleft on
    edited December 2009

maybe you was just butts

but yerr

this game, you only die when you are a stanky pilot and jump into a pool far outside of your depth

but it is a slow progression

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2009
    how do you get into split space

the game pointed me into the xenon area and I died about 5km from the gate

L|ama on
    edited December 2009
    how do you get into split space

the game pointed me into the xenon area and I died about 5km from the gate

look for a map on the net, as for going through Xenon Sector 472, go fast

there are 1-6 regions for each race,

the more regions, the smaller they are, split has 4, argon has 3, boron has 4, and teladi have 6, terran has 1

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2009

maybe you was just butts

but yerr

this game, you only die when you are a stanky pilot and jump into a pool far outside of your depth

but it is a slow progression

Well I piloted with the keyboard.

I didnt have a joystick, I was able to take down the odd pirate convoy, mostly because i had the cargo shield mod that let you hotwire additional shields from your cargo hold into your capacity, at the cost of recharge.

Buttcleft on
    edited December 2009
    I got a joystick today, and haven't had a good round of combat with it yet

targeting is harder, and so is control, I am still learning

as for pirate convoys, it is all about whether or not they have PBG's

them flames is death

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2009
    I have a joystick and haven't bothered using it with this game, really doesn't seem like it would be better. Joysticks are good for when you need fine control for aiming (autoaim) and avoiding the ground (duh).

I just did a silly convoy mission where the last ship that was left was down to ~20% health and got down to 0m/s when docking, so I hopped out to repair him and whoops that's a hostile act, pew pew explody astronaut me.

L|ama on
    edited December 2009
    I have a joystick and haven't bothered using it with this game, really doesn't seem like it would be better. Joysticks are good for when you need fine control for aiming (autoaim) and avoiding the ground (duh).

I just did a silly convoy mission where the last ship that was left was down to ~20% health and got down to 0m/s when docking, so I hopped out to repair him and whoops that's a hostile act, pew pew explody astronaut me.

" Hey you have a hole in your ship, you are venting precious air and fuel..let me patch that up for you "

" PIRATE SCUM *pewpew* "

Buttcleft on
    edited December 2009

I gotta agree

for sturmovik, you NEED a joystick, for this, I slammed into the doors of a hanger 3 times while trying to aim in

this game requires less teeny tiny manoeuvring, but much better fully body manoeuvring, strafing, yaw, pitch an droll all at the same time in full measure

The Black Hunter on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I bought Darkstar One on the steam sale. It's fun.

Weaver on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    I bought Darkstar One on the steam sale. It's fun.

This man knows what's up.

I need to play it more, but man, Dawn of War II taking up too much time.

MechMantis on
    edited December 2009
    Terran Conflict has a tutorial?

That makes it a thousand times better than Reunion already. Which basically through you in the deep end of the pool and yelled at you for drowning, then shot you in the face.

Buttcleft on
    edited December 2009
    Petitioning to rename the ship Darkspawn One

Weaver on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I could never figure out how to make this game fun.

How ever much I tried, I could never really make money and I got blown up all the time.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
    edited December 2009
    I'm kind of at a loss. I'm sitting on 2mil, my Nova Vanguard is pimped out and demolishes anything it touches so long as I'm not fighting lots of missile dudes. What now? I tried trading but after 12 hours of frustration I just rolled back to an old save - had no luck and was just gonna be playing catch up. What is a smart next move from this point?

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    Get an M6

maybe look in to how to hijack and such

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2009
    Get an M6

maybe look in to how to hijack and such

Are there any better ways to earn money at my point, or are factories and automated traders a ways off still?

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    For two mil he shoul easily be able to set up several sector traders

Synthetic Orange on
    edited December 2009
    True dat

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2009
    X3 is the Avatar of space sims

Weaver on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    how open ended is this game?

is it like mount and blade where it throws you into the game with no idea on what to do next?

or like elder scrolls with a story to follow but you can ignore it if you want?

Shabooty on
    edited December 2009
    before i get to into TC, are there any plugins or mods I should get that are of the "get this to make the game functionally better " varity.

Buttcleft on
    edited December 2009
    Shabooty wrote: »

is it like mount and blade where it throws you into the game with no idea on what to do next?

Much more like Mount and Blade

it is nothing at all like Elder Scrolls really, bar the freedom of course

The Black Hunter on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Shabooty wrote: »

You start sitting idly in the infinite blackness of space.

You'll end sitting idly in the infinite blackness of space.

I don't know how much more open ended you can get.

Metalbourne on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would play this much more if I could alt tab and still have the game running in the background

Ledneh on
    edited December 2009
    Play it windowed and you'll do that just fine.

Synthetic Orange on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Last I remember playing (probably four, five months ago) the game would automatically pause while it doesn't have the focus, even while windowed

Switch to browser and blam I'm not making funny money from my space weed no mo :(

if this has changed then got damn time to open steam

Ledneh on
    edited December 2009
    There is a control in the options

run while background or something

The Black Hunter on
    edited December 2009
    so I flew alllll the way from omicron lyrae to the place way out west where you can buy jumpdrives to get one then went back and did some more missions, then I bought 5 traders and sent them over there to get some themselves and turned SETA on for a couple of minutes while marines trained and oops they all died. Might try buying them closer to the jumpdrive place next time.

L|ama on
    edited December 2009
    training marines effectively takes so long that you are better off just continuing play

The Black Hunter on