As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Full Video of Horrible Ice Driving

Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so there's a video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npTRXr4Sgxg

That's a drastically shortened version of the full video. I remember seeing this video, but it had several minutes before this one starts. Unfortunately, I can't find it. Facts I know about this video: it was in Seattle after a massive snow storm on December 18, 2008. Anyone know where I can find the full video? Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, apparently it might be from Portland, Oregon. So... not sure.

Premier kakos on

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I know it was in the terrible driving thread in D&D, I can't locate it though.

dispatch.o on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dunadan019 on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is snow really rare out there or something? Because that is some hilariously awful driving.

PolloDiablo on
  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember that vid. IIRC, the ground under the snow was mostly ice, and those streets are actually inclines. It's just hard to get a feel for the slant from the camera angle. (actually, near the end of the vid, the camera is at ground level, and you can really see the hills)

That, and who would be so dumb as to try driving after seeing so many other crashes?! That's "stay at home" time.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    embrik wrote: »
    I remember that vid. IIRC, the ground under the snow was mostly ice, and those streets are actually inclines. It's just hard to get a feel for the slant from the camera angle. (actually, near the end of the vid, the camera is at ground level, and you can really see the hills)

That, and who would be so dumb as to try driving after seeing so many other crashes?! That's "stay at home" time.

This and unexperienced drivers.

And you can't always stay home. Edmonton is that white (not as icey) about a month ago and will be until March.

Gilbert0 on
  • ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    What do you do if you are on a steep incline and the entire road under you is ice?

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    has nobody set this to wacky sax yet?

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    What do you do if you are on a steep incline and the entire road under you is ice?
    Pray, and aim for a curb if there aren't any cars parked along the side of the road.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited December 2009
    When I was in San Francisco, I wondered how people would get around those steep roads during winter.

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pray, and aim for a curb if there aren't any cars parked along the side of the road.

Basically,

Though for me (Edmonton with minor exception) is VERY flat.

Gilbert0 on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    has nobody set this to wacky sax yet?

http://bennyhillifier.com/?id=EaksWCnHaDM

but sadly speeding up is broken for the moment. :(

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When I was in San Francisco, I wondered how people would get around those steep roads during winter.

Thankfully we rarely ever see snow on the ground here and never any significant amount. I'd stay the hell away from the street if we ever saw weather like in that video.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Video's in Seattle, or at least, not in portland.

The problem with that video is that the idiot keeps hitting the gas. I mean, obviously conditions are terrible, cars just don't move that way on less than two inches of ice, but driver #1 is an idiot for not just letting friction bring him to a stop.

The pedestrians sort of weird me out, too. I mean, how many cars do you have to see spin out before you realize that the sidewalk is probably not that safe a place to be anymore?

And yeah, conditions like that are that rare in the northwest.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Uh, what makes you think it's not in Portland? King 5 regularly reports on events elsewhere around the NW.

Doc on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

If you have no grip, you're a passenger.

If you have any grip at all, use engine braking to manage your speed and keep rolling until you get to somewhere you can safely stop. If that isn't an option (i.e. you can't manage your speed or there isn't anywhere safe to point the car), yeah, aim for the kerb or a solid object before your speed gets too high.

japan on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh yeah, that video's definetly from Portland. I remember seeing it replayed several times on the news. :)

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just gotta keep those tires spinning.

Stay in 1st gear and have halfway decent tires you should be fine. That is some horrifically bad winter driving though, my God.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
    edited December 2009
    japan wrote: »

If you have any grip at all, use engine braking to manage your speed and keep rolling until you get to somewhere you can safely stop. If that isn't an option (i.e. you can't manage your speed or there isn't anywhere safe to point the car), yeah, aim for the kerb or a solid object before your speed gets too high.

If you're going down a steep icy incline and your car is plunging toward a precipice, and you jump out of the vehicle will you hit the ground and continue sliding off anyway or come to a stop?

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well, king 5 is out of seattle, and I assumed they weren't just playing two minutes of portland drivers being terrible for the chuckles

maybe they were, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited December 2009

If you're going down a steep icy incline and your car is plunging toward a precipice, and you jump out of the vehicle will you hit the ground and continue sliding off anyway or come to a stop?

this depends on a lot of different things

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MPRmOUxRMY

Generally you will maintain the inertia of the car even after exiting, so it's 99% of the time better to just stay in the car as it's a giant metal cage around you.

FyreWulff on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why the hell did they bail out?

PolloDiablo on