As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] Man Will Not Die

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    oh neat

the blasphemy laws come into effect here as of today

anything blasphemous can now lead to a €25,000 fine

Citizen's arrest the prime minister for wearing cloth woven of different fabrics. He blasphemes against God and Mosaic law!

moniker on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    so hard with my girls not around me

it's definitely not a Nashville party

I'm at the house, all alone. My roommates are spending the holidays with their bfs.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Blasphemy laws?

What the fuck? Where do you live? 1630s Massachusetts?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/01/irish-atheists-challenge-blasphemy-law

From the little bit of info they give there it seems like they're just extending what the 1936 constitution already did for Christianity. Doesn't seem much different than American laws regarding hate speech.

Passerbye on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd post the cover of Marduk's Fuck Me Jesus if it wouldn't get me infracted. Rumour has it the t-shirts of it are going up in price atm.

Someone should publish something about being sexually attracted to Jesus Christ so that it has to be argued in court whether or not it is blasphemous to want to have sex with a religious figure.

japan on
    edited January 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Blasphemy laws?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/01/irish-atheists-challenge-blasphemy-law

From the little bit of info they give there it seems like they're just extending what the 1936 constitution already did for Christianity. Doesn't seem much different than American laws regarding hate speech.

Doesn't hate speech have to be directed at people though?

japan on
    edited January 2010
    japan wrote: »
    I'd post the cover of Marduk's Fuck Me Jesus if it wouldn't get me infracted. Rumour has it the t-shirts of it are going up in price atm.

Someone should publish something about being sexually attracted to Jesus Christ so that it has to be argued in court whether or not it is blasphemous to want to have sex with a religious figure.

Now I want to post that scene from The Exorcist, except I also don't want to get banned.

moniker on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    are there any good/cheap puzzle game packs on steam? that seems worth it.

edit - oh hell yest he doom pack is on sale. that's something I've been hoping for.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God seems to get butthurt easily

he should work on that

Elendil on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sweet, waking up to Mass Effect being $5 is not bad.

Incenjucar on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Blasphemy laws?

Doesn't hate speech have to be directed at people though?

A religious group is still seen as 'people'.

Seems like the Irish should reword the law, though. If what they've got quoted there is accurate to what the law actually says. As it's worded now it's just going to cause problems.

Passerbye on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Elki, do you dance professionally?

Nerdgasmic on
  • StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In what is likely to be the all time highlight of my crappy call centre job, I was dealing with the card belonging to a Mr. K. Kong today.

Starcross on
    edited January 2010
    moniker wrote: »

Now I want to post that scene from The Exorcist, except I also don't want to get banned.

I still haven't seen that movie.

Passerbye on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I just realized you can't access PATV from the main page yet.

That seems like a rather large blunder.

JustinSane07 on
    edited January 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

he should work on that

He smites his therapists.

Incenjucar on
    edited January 2010

he should work on that

Lack of self esteem, obviously. Just look at all the melodramatic attention seeking and insistence that everybody love him.

"Love me or you're getting the locusts again."

It's like a two year old holding their breath because they aren't getting their way.

japan on
    edited January 2010
    shit all the sam and max games too today. don't know if that's something I'd like but it's a good price.

Variable on
    edited January 2010

You can access it from the main comic page. Bottom right corner.

Passerbye on
    edited January 2010

I still haven't seen that movie.

I'd go all D: except that there are still some classics that I've yet to see. To Netflix!

Have you watched Wait Until Dark? Because if not you should pop it into the DVD player and curl up with Dyrwen.

moniker on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, wtf? I just went to do a search and it appears bing.com has a background photo selector, which in this case happens to be the Moeraki Boulders, which is about 3km from where I spent a lot of my childhood in New Zealand. Freaky coincidence, unless Bing has somehow got the inside track about my life

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited January 2010

Seems like the Irish should reword the law, though. If what they've got quoted there is accurate to what the law actually says. As it's worded now it's just going to cause problems.

It seems like it should be possible to criticise an organisation without necessarily criticising its individual members, though.

I wouldn't have thought that, for example, "the catholic church" was necessarily the same thing as "all catholics".

japan on
    edited January 2010
    Abrahamic religion does tend to depict and lead to a lot of really childish behavior.

See: The Middle East, The South, etc.

Buddhism strikes me as slightly more adult, but also suffers from the issue of being all about being in denial.

Incenjucar on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

he should work on that

He went after Sodom first.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
    edited January 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Man, wtf? I just went to do a search and it appears bing.com has a background photo selector, which in this case happens to be the Moeraki Boulders, which is about 3km from where I spent a lot of my childhood in New Zealand. Freaky coincidence, unless Bing has somehow got the inside track about my life

Do an image search for 'future wife.' :winky:

moniker on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There isn't enough information going around about the laws for me to know exactly what they entail, but I dislike them no matter how restrictive/lax they are. Whoever wrote this makes a pretty valid point.
    But as of today in the Irish Republic–a nation known for its poets, authors, musicians and artists, a nation which has had tens of thousands of its citizens beset upon by pedophile priests who’ve now been ordered to pay $242 million in victims’ aid to the children they raped, and nuns who systematically abused children and have since offered to pay$193 million in restitution–blasphemy is punishable by a € 25,000 fine–about $40,000.

Really, the first people who should be fined for blasphemy are those who use the church as shield as they committed crimes against children and their flocks as whole. And fine those who covered up the abuse as well. I can think of no greater blasphemies. But alas, instead this law could and sadly will be used by anyone who is offend by the printing of “Godammit, Christ on cracker, Holy Buddha’s toenail, my sister-in-law is such a witch, and here’s drawing of her next to the Prophet” or any publication–and by extrapolation, broadcast– of jokes about whatever faith one chooses to laugh at.

I mean, the Church actively protects pedophiles and I'm supposed to not call them a shower of cunts?

Tav on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah sure if you turn off AdBlock Plus but I'm not about to do that.

JustinSane07 on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Elki, do you dance professionally?

No. I like it this way.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited January 2010

It seems like it should be possible to criticise an organisation without necessarily criticising its individual members, though.

I wouldn't have thought that, for example, "the catholic church" was necessarily the same thing as "all catholics".

I agree, but there's a difference between criticism (which is fine) and outright threats against or incitements to attack a particular religion. I think the law is referring to this latter issue.

Passerbye on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The main girl in Ferris Bueller's Day Off should have been in more movies. I've only seen her in that and Time Cop, and wow was she beautiful.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

Do an image search for 'future wife.' :winky:

I am sorely tempted

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    so hard with my girls not around me

it's definitely not a Nashville party

I'm at the house, all alone. My roommates are spending the holidays with their bfs.

Maybe a Jay-Z song will come on the radio and cheer you up.

Dynagrip on
    edited January 2010
    The main girl in Ferris Bueller's Day Off should have been in more movies. I've only seen her in that and Time Cop, and wow was she beautiful.

sloan peterson

I wonder what her real name was.

Variable on
    edited January 2010
    Threats against human beings are already covered, are they not?

Incenjucar on
    edited January 2010

Yeah sure if you turn off AdBlock Plus but I'm not about to do that.

It'd be nice if you could tune ad-block to just block out the annoying ones. I rather like the fact that advertising lets me enjoy 'free' content and all the pleasures and horrors of the internets...but some of those flash ads just make me want to just start slapping people on Madison Avenue.

moniker on
    edited January 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I don't know.

In America no one will arrest you for spreading the idea that all Catholic Priests are evil child rapists who should be murdered, even though there are some fringe Baptists who would love to be able to do this given half a chance. Maybe the Irish law is something about these kinds of statements which aren't against a specific, particular group, but rather a more general group?

Passerbye on
    edited January 2010
    Variable wrote: »

sloan peterson

Mia Sara

moniker on
    edited January 2010

I agree, but there's a difference between criticism (which is fine) and outright threats against or incitements to attack a particular religion. I think the law is referring to this latter issue.

I'm trying to find the text, but it seems to outlaw anything insulting or liable to cause outrage. In my experience it is often remarkably easy to insult or outrage religious people.

See Tav's "Fuck me Jesus" example.

japan on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Variable wrote: »

sloan peterson

Mia Sara.

And she's from Brooklyn.

That seems to be where all the celebs I want to bang grow up.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I don't know.

In America no one will arrest you for spreading the idea that all Catholic Priests are evil child rapists who should be murdered, even though there are some fringe Baptists who would love to be able to do this given half a chance. Maybe the Irish law is something about these kinds of statements which aren't against a specific, particular group, but rather a more general group?

Does the law cover, say, the Elk's Club?

Incenjucar on
    edited January 2010

I'm trying to find the text, but it seems to outlaw anything insulting or liable to cause outrage. In my experience it is often remarkably easy to insult or outrage religious people.

See Tav's "Fuck me Jesus" example.

I think it's about large scale 'angrytime' reactions from the community, but yeah, it should be reworded so that the intent is clearer and so easier to examine and, if need be, change again.

Passerbye on
This discussion has been closed.