As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Replacements for soda?

Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm currently thinking of giving up pop again since last time that went swimmingly and I lost a fair few pounds. The problem is, I really am quite fond of my Mountain Dew these days. So I want to find something to substitute that is also tasty.

Two Questions:

- What beverages are tasty and relatively healthy (and preferably not expensive)? Something canned or bottled that is cheap enough to drink daily?

- [strike]Is there a such thing as a cheap (canned or bottled) coffee drink? I currently can't make coffee at my place because we're fighting a pretty bad roach infestation that will do nasty things to a coffee maker. Doesn't have to be some fancy creamy mocha shit. Just, straight coffee in a can.[/strike] Greenleaf introduced me to the French Press; solved!

Feel free to answer just one or the other (if at all). :)

Frosty the Snow Plow on

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm told green tea is a good soda replacement, I actually use a breakfast tea. Canned coffee ... not so much info on that.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh god, quit being so damn lazy. Just fill a pitcher of water/coffee/juice/something not so shit for you and put it in your fridge and have a couple of bottles around so you can take that shit with you whenever you want.

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm sorry? I don't mind bottling it myself. For coffee, I would, but I can't make coffee at my place for reasons I stated already.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, stop being so damn lazy

Wait, is this what we're doing now? Oh no, I just re-read this forum title. help and advice . Don't do one if you can't do the other.

In Japan they have canned coffee that is the bomb. It is also quite bad for you if I remember correctly. I'd look at tea as previously mentioned (not ice tea. Loads of sugar in that)

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I drink Sam's club clear american flavored waters

basically it's flavored water

68 cents a liter

Raneados on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's not an ideal fix, but you really do get used to the taste of diet soda quickly. I hated it at first, but now it tastes the same are regular to me. I actually can't stand regular soda in large amounts anymore because it tastes too sweet, actually.

Just know that if you suddenly jump to large amounts of diet soda, your probably going to have cramps and shit for a day or two.

Kamar on
  • Options
    GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Try a french press. Easy to clean and easy to use.
    That's how I make my coffee, and it's delicious.

Pop some coffee in the press. Add hot water, stir. Wait 5 minutes. Plunge it. Pour that shit out into a container. Rinse out the press. Voila.

Roach infestation sounds messed up, though. So... that sucks. But really, it is hard to kick the soda habit. I used to be addicted to that stuff myself. Like uh, I would get those 24 packs of Pibb or Dr Pepper and just go through them marathon style.
    But just think about how awful that shit is for you.

As far as cheap convenience goes, nothing beats soda pop. But there's hardly anything worse for you, either.
    And if you're looking for a cheap juice or something to fill a bottle with, check the back. Make sure it's not packed full of sugars and shit. Most of that stuff will give you the Wilpert Brimley's* if you drink too much of it.

*diabetus

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Greenleaf wrote: »
    Try a french press. Easy to clean and easy to use.
    That's how I make my coffee, and it's delicious.

Pop some coffee in the press. Add hot water, stir. Wait 5 minutes. Plunge it. Pour that shit out into a container. Rinse out the press. Voila.

Roach infestation sounds messed up, though. So... that sucks.

Just wiki'd the French Press (yes, never heard of it! D:). That would definitely be okay for the roach problem. It's coffee makers with insides they can hide in that are a problem.

Seriously, thank you. I've missed coffee.
    Raneados wrote: »
    I drink Sam's club clear american flavored waters

basically it's flavored water

68 cents a liter

Christ wow. Ok, I'll pick some up when I go out today and give it a taste.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Over the last few months I weaned myself off Coke onto Minute Maid Light Lemonade (widely available), and then eventually onto just water. If you like lemonade at all (or maybe more accurately, lemonade-ish drinks), that may be one way to go.

I'd tried doing this before by switching to Coke Zero/Coke Cherry Zero, but while they taste 'alright', they didn't pass the 'I could drink this every day and not wish I was drinking the REAL version instead' test like the lemonade did. You might want to try out a lot of things just to find what you can stick with, rather than trying to settle on one from the start, then get sick of it and revert back to Mountain Dew.

I've tried a lot of sodas where I have a bottle of it and think it's great so I get a case, and then struggle to finish that case off as the novelty wears off- so I go right back to Coke at the end, rather than picking up a new case of the new soda. That's not even considering whether the new stuff is healthier or not (for example, I love the occasional bottle of Stewart's Orange n' Cream soda, but finishing off a case of 4 is hard work because it gets old fast). The trick is finding something you can go the distance with, rather than something you can only enjoy in small doses.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really like lemon water.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Step 1:

Buy case of water from your favorite club-type store where it's super cheap.

Step 2:

Purchase little packets of Crystal light or Koolaid.

Step 3:

Yummy~

I've been trying to cut back on my soda intake as well. The Crystal Light leaves a bit of an aftertaste since it's made with the fake sugars, but it's not bad. Currently my IV hookup is the Fruit Punch. It's pretty good, at 10 calories a bottle.

I also tried the Koolaid packets, which are a little higher on the calorie scale (100 calories a bottle) but they're good for every once in a while.

I'll buy a box of Koolaid packets to a couple of Crystal Light, and swap every once in a while when I get irritated with the fake sugar aftertaste. :)

Aurin on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just wiki'd the French Press (yes, never heard of it! D:). That would definitely be okay for the roach problem. It's coffee makers with insides they can hide in that are a problem.

Just a note about a french press - you can't use pre-ground coffee in it. Well you can, but may get a bunch of grounds in your cup. You want to buy whole beans and grind them at home (best), or get your beans ground for a press where you buy them from.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Giving up Soda is hard. To that end, I sometimes relapse into buying some Cherry Coke or a Dr Pepper, but most of the time, you can get by with a few drinks:

1) Buy a water filter thingy (like Brita) and store the water in the fridge. Never buy Bottled Water. If you want to use the crystal light stuff, buy yourself a nice container (like that Eco-canteen from the "As seen on TV" commercial).
    2) Buy some Orange Juice, Apple Juice, and Chocolate Milk. Very basic, and if you keep all three on hand, you don't worry about getting sick of just having orange juice or chocolate milk etc
    3) Buy Seltzer water. At Tom Thumb, or perhaps Walmart, you can buy the off brand Seltzer Water for something like 1 buck for a six pack. Tastes just the same as perrier, and if you get some flavor extracts, you can pour it in and make Perrier flavors yourself (lemon, lime, rasberry, etc). My personal preference, though.
    4) Tea is always a good choice. You might need to experiment with some of the store bought brands to find one you like though.

Tejs on
  • Options
    MrRezisterMrRezister Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The flavored waters are good and cheap, if you don't mind the fake sweetener aftertaste. Coffee drinks have their own disadvantages. If health is your primary concern you might just stick with straight water, or juice concentrates. I've recently dropped all calorie-heavy drinks and it takes a while but you can get used to just plain water.

MrRezister on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Try Hansen's Natural Sodas. Theres a few different flavors, though the only one I like is Cherry Vanilla Creme.

From their website:
    Cherry Vanilla Creme Natural Cane Soda

Hansen's Cherry Vanilla Creme Natural Cane Soda is made from Madagascan vanilla and delicious Washington cherries. Our sodas are 100% natural and do not contain any preservatives, caffeine, sodium, high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors or colors.

Contains:
    Pure triple filtered carbonated water, cane sugar, citric acid, natural flavors with extracts of madagascan vanilla and Washington cherry

Nutritional Facts:
    Serving Size 1 can Amount Per Serving:Calories 160, Total Fat 0g 0%, Sodium 0mg 0%, Total Carb 43g 14%, Sugars 43g, Protein 0g 0%

Yea, so its still soda, but its a little better for you than other Sodas. Might be a good stepping stone down?

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I also like flavored sparkling water. I like plain too, but the raspberry is just delicious to me. 'Round here the're $0.50/liter. I just get the store brand seltzer water, but that's newly available. Before that I'd get Mendota Springs sparkling water. That's also not widely available. After that I'll go for H20. I find most brands are way too flavored for me.

The brands I mentioned don't take artificially sweet, and I don' think they contain artificial sweetener.

Cauld on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When you kick the roach problem buy an ice tea maker that takes loose tea and experiment.

Current favorite is mixing blueberry loose tea , chocolate loose tea and two packets of store bought regular size tea bags. Lightly caffinatted and tasty.

useless4 on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've never been a big soda drinker but would usually get some root beer. I was pleasantly surprised to find that A&W Diet Root Beer tastes like a delicious root beer, and the typical aspartame aftertaste isn't present at all. I still don't like other diet sodas but thoroughly enjoy diet root beer (not Barq's, which is root beer in name only).

it's 0 cal which is lower than a lot of alternatives. Unsweetened tea or coffee is 0 cal, of course. My wife sweetens her coffee with splenda. Remember, losing weight is about calories, not about a specific liquid.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Water. Flavor is for suckers. If you can wean yourself off of soda with another drink you can wean yourself off of soda with water. Water has a flavor just like everything else has a flavor and it might be bland but it's just as different from soda as coffee is. If you really want to you can buy sparkling water or a water fizzer thingy to get the carbonation back. That might help if you like carbonation.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love Mountain Dew, but for times where I feel I've been drinking too much of it I leave these options open:

Buy only a set amount of soda per week. Decrease this amount every week, and once it's gone, it's gone. You'll either learn to let your soda last or you'll drink it up the first few days and be left with water or juice.

Always have some form of filtered water available, as well as milk, and one type of juice (orange for me). I drink water with all my meals and I'll drink orange juice if I need something with a citrus taste to it.

As far as carrying stuff around... it's either bottled water or Powerade for me.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I use a little bit of lime juice in water, personally. It's enough for some flavor.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you're mostly just concerned with weight loss, you could just switch to diet or other, less-bad soda.

I did that a few months ago, and it's worked out pretty well. I seem to be drinking less, too.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love "sync" flavored Vitamin Water but it's too delicious to be good for you

right?

Sam on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As someone said earlier, but not in enough detail, there's a specific grind setting for French Presses. You'll need to buy whole bean and then grind it there (some places have machines with different settings) or have the employees do it for you. Normal coffee grind is too fine will go right through the press and into your coffee.

Esh on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I love "sync" flavored Vitamin Water but it's too delicious to be good for you

right?

doesn't that come in every new Ford?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I suggest Israeli "mud" coffee. It'll kill you, but it's quite good.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    look at the back of a vitamin water bottle. it has as many calories as a gatorade or a soda. i have one of these, and love it: http://www.sodastreamusa.com/

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    HoovesHooves Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd suggest naked juice or odwalla but they can get kind of expensive. they're wicked healthy and delicious though!

Hooves on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hooves wrote: »
    I'd suggest naked juice or odwalla but they can get kind of expensive. they're wicked healthy and delicious though!
    Ehhh, I don't know about "wicked healthy."

You'd probably be better off with low-sodium V8.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    I drink mineral water when I cut down on sodas. As long as it's carbonated it works just as good for me.

I also got a soda stream thingie for last Christmas, so I can just make a bottle of carbonated water in two minutes.

Echo on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if you're trying to lose weight don't drink juice, it has almost as much sugar as soda

and 'natural' sodas aren't any better for you than artificial ones. To be honest, diet mountain dew isn't that bad for a diet soda. Give it a whirl.

Have you tried tea? Twinnings is a good brand and I find it's a lovely drink to relax with. My favorite is english breakfast with a dash of milk and a little sugar. If you're getting a french press you can use it to make loose leaf tea as well, which is usually a bit fresher and nicer than bagged tea.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    virgilsammsvirgilsamms Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Just a note about a french press - you can't use pre-ground coffee in it. Well you can, but may get a bunch of grounds in your cup. You want to buy whole beans and grind them at home (best), or get your beans ground for a press where you buy them from.

You can buy pre-ground, you just have to check the pack to see if it is plunger, filter, or espresso ground (not 100% sure if it is marked as such in the US). Plunger is the grind you want, stay away from filter as it's the finest and, as noted, will escape into your coffee when plunging. Of course, grinding your own as you need it will give you the best coffee so you may want to do this anyway.

virgilsamms on
  • Options
    WaxfordWaxford Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haha, I like this thread.

Orange Juice is delicious, can be high in sugar though. Just be careful what you get, some things that "seem" better than coke can be even worse (like frutopia).

If taste isn't a big deal, and you're just looking to get healthier, switching all that mountain dew over to water would actually do a lot of good for your body. Kick up your metabolism, flush out toxins regularily, etc. One of the most under-rated healthy things you can do is drink a bunch of water first thing once you get up (cause everything in your body's been just sitting there for hours all night). Before you put toast/eggs/cereal or whatever else in your system, have plenty of water to clear the way.

Here's to smooth transitions, whatever your transition may be!

Waxford on
    True friends stab you in the front - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Waxford wrote: »

One of the most under-rated healthy things you can do is drink a bunch of water first thing once you get up (cause everything in your body's been just sitting there for hours all night). Before you put toast/eggs/cereal or whatever else in your system, have plenty of water to clear the way.

Here's to smooth transitions, whatever your transition may be!

you know, you don't die when you're asleep, and just because you haven't taken a leak for 8 hours doesn't mean you're going to be poisoned or otherwise ill-affected.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can't imagine ginger ale being as bad as mountain dew. Granted, I can't imagine rat poison being as bad, either, but that's beside the point.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    I can't imagine ginger ale being as bad as mountain dew. Granted, I can't imagine rat poison being as bad, either, but that's beside the point.
    Unless you're buying, like, hippy, organic ginger ale, they're both basically the same: mostly HFCS, with some artificial flavors and colors, along with some caffeine in Mountain Dew's case.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if you're trying to lose weight don't drink juice, it has almost as much sugar as soda

and 'natural' sodas aren't any better for you than artificial ones. To be honest, diet mountain dew isn't that bad for a diet soda. Give it a whirl.

Have you tried tea? Twinnings is a good brand and I find it's a lovely drink to relax with. My favorite is english breakfast with a dash of milk and a little sugar. If you're getting a french press you can use it to make loose leaf tea as well, which is usually a bit fresher and nicer than bagged tea.

+1 for tea. I switched from an 8-can-a-day soda habit to tea a few years back. I strongly suggest loose tea, it's much easier to tailor the strength to your taste preferences and it's loads cheaper than bagged tea. You can buy loose tea cheap from a bunch of places online, I use specialteas.com. They come in quarter-pound self-sealing bags. I use one of those french presses that is also a mug, it's quite handy.

My personal favorite is Earl Grey. Tea, Earl Grey, hot.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Unless you're buying, like, hippy, organic ginger ale, they're both basically the same: mostly HFCS, with some artificial flavors and colors, along with some caffeine in Mountain Dew's case.

Ginger ale may be equivalent to other sodas, but you never hear about Coca Cola mouth, do you? Mountain Dew is probably the most unhealthy soda out there.

I've heard the higher end root beers aren't bad, but again, soda range.

Of course, I also recommended mud coffee, and that's just pouring Turkish grounds into a cup and adding hot water (and a good bit of sugar to taste). I'm not kidding. Your heart will fly out of your chest and kick your ass.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In Japan they have canned coffee that is the bomb. It is also quite bad for you if I remember correctly. I'd look at tea as previously mentioned (not ice tea. Loads of sugar in that)

Iced tea has as much sugar in it as coffee-- as much as you add yourself.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »

Iced tea has as much sugar in it as coffee-- as much as you add yourself.

Unless you buy it premade, which, if we're talking about canned or bottled beverages is entirely likely.

lesson being: read the label.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png