As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - ME2 spoilers will be enforced!

Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho HoDisconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
Mass Effect to be released on January 26 in North America. [strike]No specific confirmation, but there is reason to believe the 360 and PC version will hit the shelves at the same time.[/strike] (If one or the other is delayed for some reason, don't blame the editor.) 29th of January in Europe.

Here's the old OP.
Going to reserve this space for ME2 info. Relevant ME1 info added as needed.

New Mass Effect 2 website.
Age verification required.

Two years have passed since the events of the first Mass Effect game. Galactic Apocalypse has been thwarted, but now, a new threat has emerged…

Human colonies have begun to disappear and it is up to Shepard to find out what is causing the disappearances and assemble a team to put a stop to it.

Mass Effect 2 will feature new worlds and locations, new weapons, new skills, and new characters to continue the story of Alliance Systems Navy Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre. The shadowy organisation Cerberus will play a more significant role in the sequel as Shepard is compelled to join forces with them to make the mission a success.

Old friends and faces from the first Mass Effect will be able to return, depending upon choices made in the original, and there are many new ones that will either join with Shepard or attempt to hinder the mission.

Along with a larger selection of weapons compared to the first game, a new class will be introduced. Shepard and company will now be able to wield rocket launchers and other high-damage, high-satisfaction weapons. Ejectable heat sinks have been added to allow players to continue firing during hectic combat without being required to wait for the weapon to cool down normally.

So far, two new alien races have been introduced. The drell and the vorcha. Not much is known about the drell outside of recruitable character Thane, but there has been information released about the vorcha. Other races are planned as more details come to light.

And now a few frequently asked questions explained:

How will I be able to import my Shepard?

Exact details about how this will work have not been released. However, due to experience with how it works in Mass Effect, it is expected that the game will search for data files from the first game to load a list of Shepards that have completed the game. This data is not the same as the possibly many save files you may already have, so unless you are certain about which ones are gamestate saves and which ones are not, the best advice is to keep everything around until more specific information is available.

Will Character So-and-So return?/Will my love interest return?

Any characters that survived to the end of the first game will make an appearance in Mass Effect 2. This includes whomever you may have chosen as your love interest. So far, only Tali has been confirmed as a party member, but it has not been confirmed that any other ME1 character will be actual team members. Shepard must recruit the ‘best of the best’ to fill out the team and original members may not meet necessary criteria. Or, it may just be they might not wish to join depending upon who is already on the team. Exactly how many you may recruit from and the maximum potential teammates has not yet been confirmed. [strike]Though twelve is a number that has been mentioned.[/strike] (BioWare as apparently removed any reference to the number twelve in relation to recruitable characters.) Definitely more options than before.

Are elevators still a problem?

The developers have confirmed that they have been working to improve loading times. This includes the ‘hidden’ loading that would happen on elevators. It’s been said that while elevators still exist within the in-game ME universe, they are not expected to be as bad as they were originally.

I don’t like some choices I made in the first game. Can I make alterations to Shepard in the sequel?

To coin a phrase: sort of. No exact details have been released about making changes to imported Shepard characters, but BioWare is aware of such requests and have made comments to the effect that they are working on it. Christina Norman, a lead BioWare developer, stated that it will be possible to switch combat classes upon import.
We have five other great classes in Mass Effect to choose from, and we let you choose your class on import [...]

Whether or not this means a physical appearance change is possible is unknown at this time.

Will there be new combat classes in the game?

No. There will be new skills introduced (such as a new biotic talent: Pull), but the combat classes will remain the same. Adept, Engineer, Soldier and the combination classes Sentinel, Infiltrator, and Vanguard will return.

They’ve said that if Shepard dies, he dies ‘for real’. What does that mean for Mass Effect 3?

It means that the Shepard that dies, is dead. BioWare has stated all along that Mass Effect is the story of Shepard's exploits. Therefore, Shepard must return for Mass Effect 3, even as a ‘canon’ character. The choices you’ll make in ME2 could lead to the death of that Shepard. If you don’t want Shepard to die, make multiple saves or simply start ME2 over again and make different choices.

What if I never played the first Mass Effect. Is there a KOTOR II-style introduction to the events of the first game?

Nobody outside BioWare/EA knows for sure how a ‘tabula rasa’ Mass Effect 2 will begin. Through interviews and message board posts, it is theorised that a combination of canon defaults and user choices will set the stage. But this has yet to be confirmed.

What if I played the first Mass Effect way too many times and I have a level 60 Shepard? Will any of that effort pay off in Mass Effect 2? I don’t want my Shepard to be ‘reset’.

Yes, but that depends. Exactly how an imported Shepard will be plugged into the game is not yet known, but we do know that because of the new skills and how they’ve made some modifications to the combat engine, old skills and skill levels may not work as they did before.

For example, if you had Throw as a skill and maxed it out at 12 points, you will receive some kind of in-game bonus to represent your previous knowledge. But you will not start at level 12 for the skill. The skill reset is to accommodate the new engine, but they will not ignore the effort you’ve put into your character up until now.

One time, I chose to perform action Y instead of action X. Will ME2 recognise this? I’ve played multiple times, how will I know which save to choose?

Yes it will. But the extent of what decisions Shepard made and how they will affect events in ME2 is not yet fully known. BioWare has stated that all choices made are tracked and kept in the numerous end-of-game save lists.

Currently, the ability to start a new game with an ‘old’ Shepard simply lists the first name, the date completed, and the level reached by the character. There is no information on what, if any, differences will appear when selecting a Shepard to import.

The first official FAQ list. (So far, the only official FAQ list...)

A new list FAQs on the BioWare forums:

Casey Hudson blogged some shit. More direct answers so some FAQs.

Preston Watamaniuk, ME Lead Designer, has this to say on New Game+. (Scroll Down).

Casey Hudson apparently changes his mind about New Game+.
If players start a New Game + after beating the game they will be able to re-use the same character import file they did for their first playthrough. Yes New Game + is making a return to Mass Effect 2!

Courtesy of TychoCelchuuu.

Facebook Page number 1

Facebook Page number 2

Facebook Page number 3

There are also rules to this thread. Please observe them as they will be enforced.
Whilst a Mass Effect thread exists, the probability of a comparison between Ashley Williams to Nazis or Hitler or other fascists approaches 1.
Invariably, discussions must refer to krogans and their reproductive configurations lest anybody forgets.
Repeating a meme as proof of negative criticism is always an option. Especially when necessary to win.
Insisting that the quality of a character is directly related to the familiarity of the voice artist.
The less a character is appreciated by an individual, the more insistent the argument that the character is universally bad for all.
Demanding that a favourite character or character-type will trigger potential seduction scenarios.
The sooner a player discovers a favourite combat class, the louder the insistence of its superiority.
Belief that any event which provides a choice, provides no actionable choices at all.

Useful checklist of ME1 locations and mission requirements.

Having problems with the Pinnacle Station DLC on the 360? Here is the thread at the Official Forums talking about it.

Problems with Therum in the first Mass Effect? Solution in the spoiler.
Hey! Therum is missing textures!

A PC game with bugs? That's unpossible!

Sadly, many have had issues with the PC version of the game. Obviously, make sure you have the latest drivers available. And while we're happy to help in this thread, contacting 'official' support personnel may have better results.

Here is a link to a list of issues the Steam version may have in general.

But this seems to work best for the Therum issue:
The solution is usually quite simple - without doing anything else after landing on Therum - save your game, exit, go to the Steam\steamapps\common\mass effect\Binaries folder, and run the MassEffectConfig.exe

(if you are running Vista you will first have to right click on this file, and have it run in XP compatibility mode)

Once you run the config file, click on the Repair option, and then click on "Delete Local Shader Cache Files".

Restart the last saved game on Therum, and it should work.

Don't try to manually delete the shader cache files - you shouldn't have to if you use the config tool.
If you find you'd rather delete the files manually, you might have to do it more than once before success.

Though a patch is mentioned as coming soon, we don't know when yet. This may address the issue once and for all.

Santa Claustrophobia on

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't care if the ME1 Soldier is Hitler, Soldier is the best class in the game and could kick any four-balled krogan in his four balls even if there's enemies everywhere in the quads tower of hanoi inside a big stupid jellyfish. Hell, at least it's better than Carth Alenko, whose voice actor played Carth in KOTOR as well as Carth in Mass Effect since they are the same character. Kaidan is pretty worthless in all forms and nobody should ever use him, but even on Virmire there was no reason to leave either of them behind. So contrived, Bioware. Tali is pretty hot though. I would like to have sex with her.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • MeetVinceTheScoutMeetVinceTheScout Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    I don't care if the ME1 Soldier is Hitler, Soldier is the best class in the game and could kick any four-balled krogan in his four balls even if there's enemies everywhere in the quads tower of hanoi inside a big stupid jellyfish. Hell, at least it's better than Carth Alenko, whose voice actor played Carth in KOTOR as well as Carth in Mass Effect since they are the same character. Kaidan is pretty worthless in all forms and nobody should ever use him, but even on Virmire there was no reason to leave either of them behind. So contrived, Bioware. Tali is pretty hot though. I would like to have sex with her.

put this in the OP

MeetVinceTheScout on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tali is pretty hot though. I would like to have sex with her.

Uh... well. How can you tell? I wanted to know, but she never took off her damn helmet.

Delta Assault on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there really no specific confirmation as to the PC release date?

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    edited January 2010
    PC is the 26th.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tali is pretty hot though. I would like to have sex with her.

Uh... well. How can you tell? I wanted to know, but she never took off her damn helmet.

He doesn't care, he's just in it for the poop-hips.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Then what's up with the second sentence in the op

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's a copy-paste, not a typo in the constitution.

Dunxco on
    edited January 2010
    They have said many many times that it will come on on both 360 and PC on the 26th, and the game's gold now so

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I played ME Galaxy (very meh) and I'm reading Ascension. It's also very meh so far.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2010
    I wish Galaxy was ME DLC instead of Pinnacle.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wish Galaxy was ME DLC instead of Pinnacle.

Is there a battle arena in Galaxy? Because it wouldn't be a BioWare RPG if there wasn't the potential for a battle arena.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    But Sentinels are so cool, Tal.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I bought ME1 on Steam and need some help to make it not run like ass. I'm able to run Dragon Age at good speed by reducing the resolution, but ME still is a bit laggy when I do the same thing as long as turn down all the graphical options. Anything else I can try?

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Eeeeeeh, isn't the thread a few dozen posts premature?

Not that I care tho.

BlackDove on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Quarian females have ovipositors sheathed in all their mucus membranes.

That's why they wear the environmental suits even when they're in the Flotilla.

Seriously on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Count to four! One, Two, Three, Four! Ah ha ha!
    Quads

Robman on
    edited January 2010
    They're also on a constant antihistamine drip

if they ever sneeze their suits suffers multiple containment breaches.

Seriously on
    edited January 2010
    Seriously wrote: »

The quarians have an efficient design where they eat, poop, give birth and breath through a single orafice. The suits are designed to disguise this fact.

Robman on
  • SagaxusSagaxus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »

The quarians have an efficient design where they eat, poop, give birth and breath through a single orafice. The suits are designed to disguise this fact.

The quarians are a big hit with the Japanese and Germans.

A hurr hurr hurr.

Sagaxus on
    a4i9N.png
    edited January 2010
    Sagaxus wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »

The quarians are a big hit with the Japanese and Germans.

A hurr hurr hurr.

Confirmed, Tali and Ashley have a romance if they're both alive on your ship

Robman on
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hope they found some way to make the council act like dicks to you in ME2 even though you saved the universe, so I can be a dick back to them (again)

Just Like That on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They’ve said that if Shepard dies, he dies ‘for real’. What does that mean for Mass Effect 3?

It means that the Shepard that dies, is dead. BioWare has stated all along that Mass Effect is the story of Shepard's exploits. Therefore, Shepard must return for Mass Effect 3, even as a ‘canon’ character. The choices you’ll make in ME2 could lead to the death of that Shepard. If you don’t want Shepard to die, make multiple saves or simply start ME2 over again and make different choices.

I really have no idea what this is saying.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited January 2010
    if the council is a dick to me in ME2

man

someday i'll just go blind from soap poisoning and then they'll be sorry

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

put this in the OP

I laughed so hard as I read this, that tears were streaming down my face.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Eeeeeeh, isn't the thread a few dozen posts premature?

Not that I care tho.

I would say four.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Blame BioWare.

As stated, the ME storyline throughout the trilogy (at least the first three games anyway) is about, or will follow, the character of Shepard. However, it is possible for the player to commit to actions that could result in Shepard dying in ME2.

Since they plan to make a ME3, Shepard will be the lead character. But BioWare has stated it won't be the 'same Shepard' you might be used to throughout the first two games. That, short of replaying ME2 to get a proper, exportable result, starting ME3 would be essentially starting with a Shepard that BioWare will designate as being the 'canon' Shepard for that particular game.

Like I said, blame BioWare.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited January 2010

Any Shepard you story-kill (not just game-kill) in ME2 is unplayable in ME3.

Seriously on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If story-kill yourself, but your companions survive
    Why can't they just [strike]Drag your carcass back the priest to cast resurrection[/strike] Lazarus up your ass a second time?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Cryo84RCryo84R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    New game + IS back in the game, may want to amend that part of the OP.

Cryo84R on
    So, I see the caterpillar has emerged from his cocoon...as a shark...with a gun for a mouth.
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Exactly right.
    ME3 starts with the Lazarus project all over again.

BlackDove on
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I bet a hundred rupees that there will be a choice to kill Shepard or someone else, and the good choice will be Shepard. In which case, I might have to slightly deviate from my Paragon ways cause I like my Shepard.

Sacrificing yourself is like the new trend with morality in games now, what's up with that shit? Congratulations, you saved the world, now die, bitch. Or be a horrible person. Your choice. You don't want to be a horrible person, do you?

Just Like That on
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    If story-kill yourself, but your companions survive
    Why can't they just [strike]Drag your carcass back the priest to cast resurrection[/strike] Lazarus up your ass a second time?

Darth Vader forgot the caveat about disintegrations.

Seriously on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Blame BioWare.

As stated, the ME storyline throughout the trilogy (at least the first three games anyway) is about, or will follow, the character of Shepard. However, it is possible for the player to commit to actions that could result in Shepard dying in ME2.

Since they plan to make a ME3, Shepard will be the lead character. But BioWare has stated it won't be the 'same Shepard' you might be used to throughout the first two games. That, short of replaying ME2 to get a proper, exportable result, starting ME3 would be essentially starting with a Shepard that BioWare will designate as being the 'canon' Shepard for that particular game.

Like I said, blame BioWare.

*head explode*

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    its not that hard to understand.

Deaderinred on
    edited January 2010
    look it's very simple

if your ME2 Shepard dies, you cannot import him into ME3

if you want to play ME3, you have to make a brand new Shepard. You can't import the dead one.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    edited January 2010
    Cryo84R wrote: »
    New game + IS back in the game, may want to amend that part of the OP.

Good catch. Updated.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    look it's very simple

if your ME2 Shepard dies, you cannot import him into ME3

if you want to play ME3, you have to make a brand new Shepard. You can't import the dead one.

This. It really wasn't hard to figure out.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Cryo84RCryo84R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I said there were furries in the Talimance thread on the official forums and got death threat PMs.

Cryo84R on
    So, I see the caterpillar has emerged from his cocoon...as a shark...with a gun for a mouth.
  • phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If your ME2 Shepard dies, he will be imported and brought on missions by teammates in ME3 'a la' Weekend at Bernies with a constant use of Stasis, Lift and Throw.

phishstik on
This discussion has been closed.