As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is my cat going to die?

ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just stumbled across my cat drinking from my toilet bowl.

This is odd. But odder still because we have a 10000 flushes thing in there, making the water blue and such.

Is my cat going to die from drinking this special blue water?

ANTVGM64 on

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You should've ended the last sentence with a question mark.

As for your actual problem, what does the back of the cleaner's box say?

The answer, anyways, should be no.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Probably not. It might barf or have blue poop/urine. I've found that (in general) most plants and substances that are poisonous to cats are also smells/flavors that cats don't like.

Keep an eye on the dude just in case, but it shouldn't be a problem. And keep your lid down; it's more attractive that way anyway.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would call your vet, its something they should be able to answer over the phone unless they are money grubbing nickle and diming dicks

Buttcleft on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I would call your vet, its something they should be able to answer over the phone unless they are money grubbing nickle and diming dicks
    Beat me to it. Most vets will take 2 seconds to answer simple questions like this, and they won't even ask your name or if your pet is a patient there. If your own vet won't answer the question, keep calling ones around your city until one of them does.

Spacemilk on
  • CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Start closing the lid.

http://www.2000flushesbrand.com/faqs/#a60

If my children or pets come in contact with toilet bowl water that has 2000 Flushes Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner in it, is it safe?

Bowl water treated with 2000 Flushes Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner is not harmful to children or pets. However, it is not recommended that pets drink from the toilet.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Shark_MegaByteShark_MegaByte Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The roaming looking for other water sources can be a sign the cat isn't happy with standing water.

I've caught my cat trying to slurp water left in the sink and the shower D:

She also has had a lot of problems with urinary tract infections, and is on distilled water. At first I thought she just didn't like the taste, but she never really drank very much from her bowl. About a month ago I bought her a pet fountain with a pump and filter that circulates her water. She's drinking (still distilled) like a fish now, and hasn't gone to the sink or shower. And this seems to be helping with the UTIs, too - no problems so far.

Shark_MegaByte on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It would be much easier for us to advise you if we knew what your cat looks like.

Thanatos on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    It would be much easier for us to advise you if we knew what your cat looks like.

It's the one with the blue moustache

Metalbourne on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Your cat will be fine so long as you don't let him do it again. Close the lid, keep his water bowl refreshed. If he keeps trying to get into the toilet, try putting a couple ice cubes in his water bowl, he might be going for the colder water in the toilet.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As tempting as the "blue koolaid" is, unless your toilet is a cultist, id say the cat will be fine.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Your cat will be fine so long as you don't let him do it again. Close the lid, keep his water bowl refreshed. If he keeps trying to get into the toilet, try putting a couple ice cubes in his water bowl, he might be going for the colder water in the toilet.

For whatever reason, cats really seem to like toilet and bath tub water. I've put out fresh water for my cat before, in a newly cleaned dish no less, only to find him licking up leftover water off of the floor of my shower a few minutes later.

Like others have said, keep the lid down. Or stop using the 1000 flushes if he really has the jones for toilet water.

Raekreu on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cat will be fine. Pictures or leave. Them's the rules.

Inquisitor77 on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lounging-Shadow-104085437

Also, my cats have a habit of shitting in my tub, or alternatively, my bed when I'm sleeping in it.

they also refuse to come in through the front door, only the front window.

ANTVGM64 on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

flushes.jpg

This is relevant because Ray, a cat, did not die after putting 2000 flushes in his toilet.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2010
    I think the main concern was actually the cat taking 1-3 flushes back out of the toilet.

Unknown User on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cats are pretty retarded though when it comes to their aquatic intake.

I've seen them drink from cans full of rusty nails and cans that had at least some terpentine based paint in 'em.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    On the topic of your cats shitting in unwanted places. How often do you clean their litter? What kind of litter do you use?

I used to have the same sort of problems so I started cleaning their litter more often and switched to a better (more expensive) brand of cat litter. No problems anymore.

Sipex on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Why is your bed outside? If you're going to confuse them like that you deserve what you get.

Seriously though, regardless of whether or not they're indoor cats, you should have a litterbox. Sometimes it's cold or windy or rainy or they just don't feel like being outside. If you don't provide them with a litterbox at least for inclement weather, they're going to do this sort of thing.

If you lived in a house without a toilet, I'm pretty sure you'd come up with something so you didn't have to run the gas station every time you had to poo.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn