Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Team Nope-tress 2

1356763

Posts

  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    2 on 2 half court is more about skill than full court five on five

    Xbox Live: OGSirToons PSN: NoGreatName Bnet Tag: SirToons#1214 NNID: SirToons
    Steam ID: SirToons 3DS: 3024-5277-3254 Twitch: SirToons check.php?c=sirtoons
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Here's how it goes down

    Medic can't switch because Medic is literally your team's crutch. If your medic dies and the other team's doesn't? You will get pushed back. That's why the pocket soldier and the medic spend most of their time trying to take out the other team's pair while each team's scouts run flank maneuvers.

    The roamer is needed to stop the scouts from killing the medic or you lose your point. He can't switch off.

    Demo...it's hard to explain without playing, but he's crucial to point defense and offense and it gets quite hard to combat the other team's demo without one of your own.

    Scouts, you always want one because their speed allows them to go in for quick pinches at the medic when the roaming soldier isn't looking. This is especially easy with two scouts since you can perform switches easily while the other goes to grab a pack, but it's easily do-able with one if he's good at the class. That leaves the other scout open to switch classes, if need be, based on the current scenario.

    I would love to see larger comp-play create a bigger scene because honestly I think it'd be a lot more dynamic.

    This is pretty much all true, and the reason you don't see much deviation from this is because it is the most optimal for what competitive play is about. These also happen to be the classes with some of the highest skill ceilings and different techniques one can do.

    Spoiler:
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Whatever happened to SE++'s attempt to get mini scrims going for PA anyway.

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think I'll ever understand how melee weapons work.

  • redheadredhead Registered User
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Here's how it goes down

    Medic can't switch because Medic is literally your team's crutch. If your medic dies and the other team's doesn't? You will get pushed back. That's why the pocket soldier and the medic spend most of their time trying to take out the other team's pair while each team's scouts run flank maneuvers.

    The roamer is needed to stop the scouts from killing the medic or you lose your point. He can't switch off.

    Demo...it's hard to explain without playing, but he's crucial to point defense and offense and it gets quite hard to combat the other team's demo without one of your own.

    Scouts, you always want one because their speed allows them to go in for quick pinches at the medic when the roaming soldier isn't looking. This is especially easy with two scouts since you can perform switches easily while the other goes to grab a pack, but it's easily do-able with one if he's good at the class. That leaves the other scout open to switch classes, if need be, based on the current scenario.

    I would love to see larger comp-play create a bigger scene because honestly I think it'd be a lot more dynamic.

    e: On the subject of other classes in comp matches, you definitely see them played, either in pinch scenarios for defense or for full-on pushes from the offense. It's not uncommon for a spy to show up on the offense side to kill the defense's final point. In fact, a clan by the name of TuN who we used to scrim with rather frequently as practice had a scout that they ran as a scout, but the reason he was on the team was to switch to spy for quick-capping the final two points on any badlands scrim.

    you're right about medic, pocket solly and demo never switching, but everything else switches at least sometimes

    I'm my team's roaming soldier. I go sniper with some regularity (on some maps--freight, yukon, and especially follower--it can be better to have two scouts and one soldier than two soldiers and one scout). I go pyro for badlands mid sometimes, and heavy for viaduct if that's the strat we're running.

    our scouts switch to stuff constantly. usually sniper, but other stuff too. and it's not always true that you absolutely have to keep one scout. a lone scout can be so much less effective than two that it's sometimes not even worth keeping him on scout. so if one scout goes sniper, the other one might go spy and go for a lucky pick.

  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just got the Direct Hit tonight. 10 minutes later I'd popped up and airshot 3 people already. It's a pretty awesome weapon.

    That is all.

  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "How to use bonk halfway effectively: Exploit the fuck out of bugs having to do with the drink!"

    Thanks pro video!

    hobbessig.png
  • redheadredhead Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Morkath wrote: »
    "How to use bonk halfway effectively: Exploit the fuck out of bugs having to do with the drink!"

    Thanks pro video!

    well... yeah. that is how to use it effectively. it sounds like you're mad about that, but that doesn't really make any sense.

    if you don't want to use it effectively, don't do the stuff in that video. if you want to use it effectively but are mad that doing so involves bugs, blame valve, not jaeger. it doesn't really matter anyway because bonk isn't worth much to begin with most of the time.

  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    "How to use bonk halfway effectively: Exploit the fuck out of bugs having to do with the drink!"

    Thanks pro video!

    well... yeah. that is how to use it effectively. it sounds like you're mad about that, but that doesn't really make any sense.

    if you don't want to use it effectively, don't do the stuff in that video. if you want to use it effectively but are mad that doing so involves bugs, blame valve, not jaeger. it doesn't really matter anyway because bonk isn't worth much to begin with most of the time.

    Exploiting bugs to play is not pro, no more than the person using an aimbot is pro.

    hobbessig.png
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Exin wrote: »
    I just got the Direct Hit tonight. 10 minutes later I'd popped up and airshot 3 people already. It's a pretty awesome weapon.

    That is all.

    I can't even hit people with the regular rocket launcher.

    Therefore, the Direct Hit sucks.

  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Morkath wrote: »
    redhead wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    "How to use bonk halfway effectively: Exploit the fuck out of bugs having to do with the drink!"

    Thanks pro video!

    well... yeah. that is how to use it effectively. it sounds like you're mad about that, but that doesn't really make any sense.

    if you don't want to use it effectively, don't do the stuff in that video. if you want to use it effectively but are mad that doing so involves bugs, blame valve, not jaeger. it doesn't really matter anyway because bonk isn't worth much to begin with most of the time.

    Exploiting bugs to play is not pro, no more than the person using an aimbot is pro.

    Every game with a competitive field has exploited its bugs? Not that the one you cited is particularly large or gives much advantage.

    See: Rocket jumping in QuakeTF, worker-drilling in SC, crouch tabbing in CS, etc.

    Spoiler:
  • redheadredhead Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Morkath wrote: »
    redhead wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    "How to use bonk halfway effectively: Exploit the fuck out of bugs having to do with the drink!"

    Thanks pro video!

    well... yeah. that is how to use it effectively. it sounds like you're mad about that, but that doesn't really make any sense.

    if you don't want to use it effectively, don't do the stuff in that video. if you want to use it effectively but are mad that doing so involves bugs, blame valve, not jaeger. it doesn't really matter anyway because bonk isn't worth much to begin with most of the time.

    Exploiting bugs to play is not pro, no more than the person using an aimbot is pro.

    ok :)

  • DeMoNDeMoN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ...which video has the Bonk bugs?

    PSN: Toxic_Cizzle Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    Here's how it goes down

    Medic can't switch because Medic is literally your team's crutch. If your medic dies and the other team's doesn't? You will get pushed back. That's why the pocket soldier and the medic spend most of their time trying to take out the other team's pair while each team's scouts run flank maneuvers.

    The roamer is needed to stop the scouts from killing the medic or you lose your point. He can't switch off.

    Demo...it's hard to explain without playing, but he's crucial to point defense and offense and it gets quite hard to combat the other team's demo without one of your own.

    Scouts, you always want one because their speed allows them to go in for quick pinches at the medic when the roaming soldier isn't looking. This is especially easy with two scouts since you can perform switches easily while the other goes to grab a pack, but it's easily do-able with one if he's good at the class. That leaves the other scout open to switch classes, if need be, based on the current scenario.

    I would love to see larger comp-play create a bigger scene because honestly I think it'd be a lot more dynamic.

    e: On the subject of other classes in comp matches, you definitely see them played, either in pinch scenarios for defense or for full-on pushes from the offense. It's not uncommon for a spy to show up on the offense side to kill the defense's final point. In fact, a clan by the name of TuN who we used to scrim with rather frequently as practice had a scout that they ran as a scout, but the reason he was on the team was to switch to spy for quick-capping the final two points on any badlands scrim.

    you're right about medic, pocket solly and demo never switching, but everything else switches at least sometimes

    I'm my team's roaming soldier. I go sniper with some regularity (on some maps--freight, yukon, and especially follower--it can be better to have two scouts and one soldier than two soldiers and one scout). I go pyro for badlands mid sometimes, and heavy for viaduct if that's the strat we're running.

    our scouts switch to stuff constantly. usually sniper, but other stuff too. and it's not always true that you absolutely have to keep one scout. a lone scout can be so much less effective than two that it's sometimes not even worth keeping him on scout. so if one scout goes sniper, the other one might go spy and go for a lucky pick.

    I never ever found a situation while playing Roamer where, in any way, me switching would have less of a negative impact on our game's performance than if a scout switched. If your on the offensive push or coming out of a new gate and your team's medic has his kritz ready to fly and suddenly the pocket dies to a crit sticky, your medic not only no longer has the pocket soldier, he no longer has any soldier and the Demo simply cannot protect him the way the soldier can. Likewise, the demoman is not the kritz target you need when you're pushing offensively, but a good Roamer can easily fill the pocket role until the pocket respawns and gets back to the medic, enabling the push to continue (albeit on crutches). If your scout cannot function on his own while the other is temporarily switching to another class, than the scout needs to get better at the class. It is not hard to harass a medic as a lone scout, and that should be your primary job while you're watching your own team's flanks.

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
  • redheadredhead Registered User
    edited January 2010
    well, we don't usually run kritz when we drop a soldier, yeah

    but it's honestly not that uncommon a strategy and I'm surprised you've never seen it

    the benefit is basically that having two scouts on really scout-friendly maps can lead to so much scout rape that it makes up for the decreased firepower/medic safety

    or maybe we're just bad, i dunno

  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2010
    I assumed they fix the bonk! strafing thing when they fixed allowing people to go into first person. I don't know why they just don't get rid of the slowdown since losing the pistol is already a pretty major thing.

    Then again I'm not a proooofessional.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Morkath wrote: »
    redhead wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    "How to use bonk halfway effectively: Exploit the fuck out of bugs having to do with the drink!"

    Thanks pro video!

    well... yeah. that is how to use it effectively. it sounds like you're mad about that, but that doesn't really make any sense.

    if you don't want to use it effectively, don't do the stuff in that video. if you want to use it effectively but are mad that doing so involves bugs, blame valve, not jaeger. it doesn't really matter anyway because bonk isn't worth much to begin with most of the time.

    Exploiting bugs to play is not pro, no more than the person using an aimbot is pro.

    Every game with a competitive field has exploited its bugs? Not that the one you cited is particularly large or gives much advantage.

    See: Rocket jumping in QuakeTF, worker-drilling in SC, crouch tabbing in CS, etc.

    I'm not saying it does. But when you are trying to give tips to help people play better, you shouldn't be saying, "Exploit this!"
    The part where he was giving tips to use bonk is fine. The part where he was telling people how to fire the scattergun faster by going into first person w/bonk, and strafe to negate the speed loss on the cooldown is not.

    Demon;
    http://www.mikemarcin.com/gaming/team-fortress-2/tips-and-tricks-vol1

    hobbessig.png
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So your medic runs into the spawn to swap from kritz to uber when you decide you're moving your soldier out? Or do you wait until your medic dies for him to swap and then make that decision which means your team got pushed back a point?

    It's not that I haven't seen it it's just I rarely ever saw it in any div we played. Two soldiers with splash damaging weapons is far more useful, on offense or defense, than two hitscan scouts who happen to move fast and if the roaming soldier is any good won't be making it to the medic 90% of the time anyway.

    I mean maybe your team functions with it but I don't see why you'd do it. Unless your scouts can't operate more than one class in the competitive environment.

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    2 on 2 half court is more about skill than full court five on five

    No, no. No.

    I think 8 vs 8 with one person representing each class would probably be the best from a viewer's perspective.

  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User
    edited January 2010
    redraptor wrote: »
    2 on 2 half court is more about skill than full court five on five

    No, no. No.

    I think 8 vs 8 with one person representing each class would probably be the best from a viewer's perspective.

    you mean 9v9 and this has been done with highlander scrims and leagues

    but from my understanding the 6 extra players adds a exponential increase in the level of logistics that is staggeringly hard to keep up with

    edit: logistics in the sense of getting people into matches and stuff

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Highlander was fun. Wasn't SotQ getting back together?

  • BeezelBeezel War is hell! About to make it worse!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    menaced a pub as a natascha heavy. wasteland of broken Scotsmen and their teeny tiny cowering plates. by the end of the map I had 3 medics attached to me like remoras on a shark belly. Was it here that someone was saying that someone needs to get on making a picture of a heavy standing on top of a pile of demoman corpses, holding a bullet and saying "WHAT DID I TELL YOU!?"

    10NLNWQ.png
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    redraptor wrote: »
    2 on 2 half court is more about skill than full court five on five

    No, no. No.

    I think 8 vs 8 with one person representing each class would probably be the best from a viewer's perspective.

    you mean 9v9 and this has been done with highlander scrims and leagues

    but from my understanding the 6 extra players adds a exponential increase in the level of logistics that is staggeringly hard to keep up with

    edit: logistics in the sense of getting people into matches and stuff


    Err yea. Well I just meant as a viewer, you'd get to see the most variety, and seeing how the classes could interact is much more interesting since each addition adds exponentially more possibilities.

    I understand the logistical problems of course though. If only a game-finding thingy could be built into the client.

  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    8v8

    pyro isn't a real class

    Xbox Live: OGSirToons PSN: NoGreatName Bnet Tag: SirToons#1214 NNID: SirToons
    Steam ID: SirToons 3DS: 3024-5277-3254 Twitch: SirToons check.php?c=sirtoons
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Death Groupie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    8v8

    Scout isn't a real class

    Alternatively: Sniper, Spy, Engineer, Medic, Heavy, Demoman, Soldier.

    steam_sig.png
  • ArkanArkan Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Dispatch from the department of bad ideas

    If a pyro airblasts a Demoman mid-charge, they should flip 180 degrees, charge off in the opposite direction, and decapitate the first person they run into, friendly or no.

    Spoiler:

    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Seriously, why'd you summon me? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I second that bad idea.

  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2010
    8v8

    pyro isn't a real class
    As much as pyro sucks at least I can ever hit anything when I have 30 or more choke. Then again so can I as demoman.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Whatever happened to SE++'s attempt to get mini scrims going for PA anyway.
    They probably decided to talk about TF2 instead.

  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God, this retardedly low drop rate on items is stupid. At least for weapons. Even though you can get them with achievements, a lot of the achievements are stupidly hard to do.

  • ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User
    edited January 2010
    I'm installing tonight while I sleep, I haven't played since they added samiches, it looks like they have kept the game going well, I think I want to get way into this time

    camo_sig2.png
  • SladvanSladvan Registered User
    edited January 2010
    This thread really feels like a B, you know?

    ken2.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Death Groupie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That engy video is still fantastic.

    steam_sig.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    People on the other team need to play heavy more so I can headshot some more spun up heavies and feel like a real headshotting pro.

    wAgWt.jpg
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere MY FINEST CREATION oh nevermind it's deadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
  • FrostyFrosty Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Oh man, that music + star wipes. Great vid

    Mashalot wrote: »
    Steven Speilberg presents Camp Lazlo's Seahorse Adventure Sudoku
  • BethrynBethryn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He gets better FPS recording than I get playing. The Jazz makes up for it though.

    bethryn.png
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A well-hidden heavy ambushing you is the most 'oh shi-' thing in the game.

    Also, you know how Eric Zahn said I could occasionally play scout?

    dundundunnnn.jpg

    Killing the entire enemy team in one clip and capping the point errday.

    p8fnsZD.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Heavy should be able to disguise as sandvich. WHEN YOU TRY TO EAT IT MOTHER RUSSIA IS THERE

    ALSO how did that guy gallop on SO MANY BROKEN DREAMS

    obF2Wuw.png
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    God, this retardedly low drop rate on items is stupid. At least for weapons. Even though you can get them with achievements, a lot of the achievements are stupidly hard to do.

    They are?

    Perimare_zpsfcce2f1c.png
Sign In or Register to comment.