As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So with the repeatable shard quests in moria I am hitting a wall with the mythril slaves one... is there a trick to it like the training room one (kill all the orcs then gank the leader)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So with the repeatable shard quests in moria I am hitting a wall with the mythril slaves one... is there a trick to it like the training room one (kill all the orcs then gank the leader)
    I forgot what that one is about. Can you refresh my memory?

I found myself not bothering much with those quests, by the way. The titles for weapons are all but useless once you have a weapon that will last you longer than a stack of shadow potions.

Aldo on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They give relics now. Bronze for the garnet and sapphire, copper for the adamant. They're also an exceptionally convenient way to grind through rusted tools/Ktablet turn ins for relics. Start one up, kill until they hit level 2, leave the instance to go decon, pick up more, slot them, go back in, kill 'til they hit level 2, repeat ad nauseum.

Anyway, if I remember right, you can usually pull each goblin pack without aggroing any orcs standing nearby. May take a little trial and error to get it just right; the first pack on your left as you come down the stairs you can pull by targeting the furthest left goblin, if I remember right.

Preacher wrote: »
    I hate guard tanks as of late because they are all STT (Single Target Tank). Its fucking bothersome that turbine goes through the trouble of giving these guys aoe aggro abilities and yet 30 seconds into the encounter a simple damage/debuff spell like gust of wind (at best a crit of 620) can pull aggro on a secondary target.

Uh, that's a crap guard then. Only any multi-mob pull, you pop challenge to get them all beating on you long enough to proc some blocks and start spamming Litany of Defiance and bangin' on your shield. Plus you can trait so Harassing Blow is frontal AoE threat generator, and so that Whirling Retaliation (or whatever that skill is called) leeches threat from the rest of the party. And if you're still having troubles, if the fight's been going on long enough and you have them slotted, pop Challenge the Darkness to put you at the top of the threat list of everything in range, then toggle Guard's Threat stance to give you a more or less insurmountable threat lead on all of said mobs.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
    edited January 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    I forgot what that one is about. Can you refresh my memory?

I found myself not bothering much with those quests, by the way. The titles for weapons are all but useless once you have a weapon that will last you longer than a stack of shadow potions.

There is like goblins.. mining stuff you have to kill miners than a mining overlord?

Each pull gets you 3 mobs, one regular and two greens if I recall as they seem to be linked. Problem si the overlord is a sig and he comes with friends as well, not sure if there is a way to break him up or what.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I never got adds with the overlord, he was by himself down the hallway. Hardest one for me was the library of steel, and thats only because if you lack ranged in there, its a fucking bitch.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2010
    ah i never did that one on my warden because I couldn't get enough dps in or something.

Huh I didn't know about the relics, I got a truckload out of SH though, so I'm still not interested. :P

I guess I just hate going all the way to Dolven View.

Aldo on
    edited January 2010
    Re: Hunters pulling aggro

I feel like we've had this conversation here before, but the thing is, Hunters are supposed to be the kings of single target DPS, and they're not. RKs outclass them easily, and a well-played and geared Champ can too. So Hunters feel like, to justify their presence, they need to maximize DPS, and doing that requires staying in Strength Stance, which makes them the kings of single target Threat Generation, and still only a close 3rd in DPS.

Which brings us to Barad Guldur, where the devs in their infinite wisdom decided that ranged DPS needed to be thrown a bone (nevermind that RKs are better ranged DPS than Hunters), and forgot all about the disaster that was Watcher 1.0, and designed the raid so that on every boss, ranged DPS is far superior to melee. In fact, in two fights, you are effectively penalized for bringing melee DPS along. Good job there devs. Who would want to bring Champs and Burgs and possibly more than one Guard to a raid anyway?

Simon Moon on
    edited January 2010
    There has never been a dev that throws a bone to meele damage. Its retarded, over every mmo I've played meele dps is given the finger.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2010
    Wait so you can have an active instance, leave it and then come back again? (in regards to relic farming and buying leveling and deconstructing LIs)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited January 2010
    Wait so you can have an active instance, leave it and then come back again? (in regards to relic farming and buying leveling and deconstructing LIs)

Yep. You have to leave by going out the door (instead of canceling the instance quest), and it can be dicey to try to do this with the spider instance (since the dwarves will all get eaten while you're gone), and possibly the one with the fire grims (I'm not sure if they keep spawning or not if you leave, but I assume they do), but if you've got stacks of tools or tablets, it's the fastest/easiest way to burn through them.

Simon Moon on
    edited January 2010
    Sometimes I decon a l1 LI just because the stats on them are so shitty I wouldn't want to wish it upon anyone who might buy it from AH.

Also: best way to make some extra money: roll on all LIs from classes that aren't in your group and sell them on AH for 100-250s a piece. I tend to ID them first so I can offer them in my kin first, I think this makes it easier to sell on AH too.

Aldo on
    edited January 2010
    I break down Li's all the time. I've got 30+ gold money aint an issue.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2010
    Down to 15g because I had to buy a better bracelet and teal Tools of the Historian to be slightly more effective at everything I do.

Aldo on
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    So basically when you're using special bow attacks there are two kinds. There are those that use induction and those that use focus.

Gentleman + Scholar = You

Paradiso on
    edited January 2010
    Simon Moon wrote: »

Yep. You have to leave by going out the door (instead of canceling the instance quest), and it can be dicey to try to do this with the spider instance (since the dwarves will all get eaten while you're gone), and possibly the one with the fire grims (I'm not sure if they keep spawning or not if you leave, but I assume they do), but if you've got stacks of tools or tablets, it's the fastest/easiest way to burn through them.

So does the instance reset when you leave that way?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited January 2010

So does the instance reset when you leave that way?

Nope. Although, if you're gone too long, I think you eventually fail the quest. I don't know how long "too long" is, though.

Simon Moon on
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Critical strike or something similar, I remember because it was a confusing legacy. "Critical strike crit rating".

I think so, because I think one of the class deeds is to get a certain number of critical hits with Critical Strike. I think "Gank" would've been a better name...

For some reason, I find most LOTRO skill names less memorable (and their corresponding icons less distinctive) than those in WoW. I haven't played WoW in months, and I'm sure I could log onto a hunter, shaman, druid or paladin and not miss a beat (maybe a little on pally, since that class didn't click for me until shortly before LOTRO resumed its place as my main game). Of course, the few times this past year that I've stuck my foot back into the muddy pit known as Age of Conan (they've had some substantial server consolidation over there), I almost felt like I had to relearn everything, and it doesn't help that different ranks of the same combo require different attack sequences...

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
    edited January 2010
    Skill icons in LOTRO are pretty bad, they don't scale very well either, in WoW you could shrink down your UI considerably and the icons would still be clear, in LOTRO they just become a mess.

Aldo on
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I just renewed my sub for lotro. I have a level 60 Champ on Vilya with 4/6 radiance gear before I canceled my sub. Where should I start out now. I never really ground any rep with Loth before I quit. Should I be going back there before I start trying to get to mirkwood? I'm just kinda lost. I did the initial quest to do the Skirmishes, but I haven't actually done one yet. When I logged in I was at 21st hall and there was no one there. Just kinda surprised me.

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    So I just renewed my sub for lotro. I have a level 60 Champ on Vilya with 4/6 radiance gear before I canceled my sub. Where should I start out now. I never really ground any rep with Loth before I quit. Should I be going back there before I start trying to get to mirkwood? I'm just kinda lost. I did the initial quest to do the Skirmishes, but I haven't actually done one yet. When I logged in I was at 21st hall and there was no one there. Just kinda surprised me.

AIUI you're going to have to get through Lothlorien one way or another before getting to Mirkwood. The two ways to get into Lorien are to grind rep doing repeatable quests in the Dimril Dale, or if you get through a certain book in Volume II epic quests you can also get in.

This afternoon on Nimrodel 21st Hall was pretty quiet, but there were lots of people crawling around Mirkwood.

ydejin on
  • BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I think if I remember I did that book quest. Atleast i have enough rep where I won't get shot by their gaurds. What level of rep do I have to be with them before I can just go to mirkwood?

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    edited January 2010
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Yeah, I think if I remember I did that book quest. Atleast i have enough rep where I won't get shot by their gaurds. What level of rep do I have to be with them before I can just go to mirkwood?

I think you should be set. The main thing is not to get shot by the guards when trying to enter Lothlorien.

ydejin on
  • AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah one rank (acquaintance) to get to the docks near the vineyards to get to Mirkwood. 2 ranks (friend) to enter the big elf town CG in Lothlorien.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Glornt wrote: »
    Champ - Weaponsmith
    Guard - Metalsmith
    Warden - Tailor
    LM - Jeweller
    Cap - Farmer
    RK - Scholar
    Hunter - Woodworker
    Minnie - Cook
    Burg - (Explorer, not using his tailoring)

Captain got farming by default. It was either him or the Burglar, and I couldn't see a burglar doing all that sowing and reaping...

The wiki has a great page on hitting everything with 4 characters, btw.

Yeah, but with 7 crafter's guilds, that doesn't work so well anymore. At least, not if you're like me, and feel compelled to hit kindred in all 7...

Does that actually... get you anything? Or it just a epeen sorta thing?

KiTA on
    edited January 2010
    I never got adds with the overlord, he was by himself down the hallway. Hardest one for me was the library of steel, and thats only because if you lack ranged in there, its a fucking bitch.

So I dont know what the hell I did wrong the previous 2 times I utterly failed on that instance but did it last night and walked through it.

Oh well.

Thanks to Dordron (sp?) last night for assisting my Hunter with that woodworking quest for artisian (or was it master... I forget..)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited January 2010
    Glornt wrote: »
    Champ - Weaponsmith
    Guard - Metalsmith
    Warden - Tailor
    LM - Jeweller
    Cap - Farmer
    RK - Scholar
    Hunter - Woodworker
    Minnie - Cook
    Burg - (Explorer, not using his tailoring)

Captain got farming by default. It was either him or the Burglar, and I couldn't see a burglar doing all that sowing and reaping...

The wiki has a great page on hitting everything with 4 characters, btw.

Yeah, but with 7 crafter's guilds, that doesn't work so well anymore. At least, not if you're like me, and feel compelled to hit kindred in all 7...

Crafting guild gear is much, much better than non-guild gear. Kind of unfortunate for my poor Yeoman Warden since he's in the Cooking Guild, but also theoretically a Tailor. But since he's not in the Tailor Guild the stuff he can make isn't that great. Definitely not an e-peen thing.

ydejin on
    edited January 2010
    crafting guild also holds the 2nd Age crafted Legendary Items recipes...

Aldo on
    edited January 2010

I can craft any legendary item of my choosing. I can craft all the crafted relics. I can kit out alts, kin folk, or Barrovians who ask nicely in the best gear available. I can almost keep my alt army supplied with enough food and pots without having to brave the AH. And, in the event Turbine introduces new recipes that (finally) surpass the critted Loth armor and jewelry, I have the stuff stockpiled to crank out full sets as quickly as my cooldowns will let me.

It is totally an epeen sorta thing.

Simon Moon on
    edited January 2010

I can craft any legendary item of my choosing. I can craft all the crafted relics. I can kit out alts, kin folk, or Barrovians who ask nicely in the best gear available. I can almost keep my alt army supplied with enough food and pots without having to brave the AH. And, in the event Turbine introduces new recipes that (finally) surpass the critted Loth armor and jewelry, I have the stuff stockpiled to crank out full sets as quickly as my cooldowns will let me.

kitting out alts is what I do, although my main should have been an explorer so I could supply materials to all my alts.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Well, crap. Gotta re-evaluate my crafting setup then. ;)

KiTA on
    edited January 2010
    I can craft any legendary item of my choosing.
    From what I could tell via Googling crafting level 65 legendary items requires a drop only available from raiding. Is that correct?

ydejin on
    edited January 2010
    ydejin wrote: »
    From what I could tell via Googling crafting level 65 legendary items requires a drop only available from raiding. Is that correct?
    It drops in SG which is a 6man instance. Not really a raid, but it's not like they drop from trees like the lev60 variant.

Aldo on
    edited January 2010
    It drops in SG which is a 6man instance. Not really a raid, but it's not like they drop from trees like the lev60 variant.

Thanks Aldo.

ydejin on
    edited January 2010
    I can craft any legendary item of my choosing.

Crafting level 65 2nd ages requires a Symbol of Celebrimbor, which has a super low drop rate in Sammath Gul, the Mirkwood 6-man instance (one of my kinnies has run it about 30 times, and he's seen it drop twice), and I think is a guaranteed drop from the final boss in Dol Guldur, the 12-man.

You can craft level 65 3rd ages without it, but as most people wouldn't bother crafting a 3rd age, I suspect that's not what you meant.

Simon Moon on
    edited January 2010
    We've had 2 symbols drop in my kin so far. Both won by the same bloke. He's on my list of people I don't feel comfortable lending money to.

Aldo on
    edited January 2010
    Heh, yeah, I'm pretty sure the guy in my kin just sold his. He's one of those people who plays the AH a little too much, and ends up walking around with 400g.

Simon Moon on
    edited January 2010
    Heh, yeah, I'm pretty sure the guy in my kin just sold his. He's one of those people who plays the AH a little too much, and ends up walking around with 400g.
    What is he gonna do with 400g? All good items that could develop his characters are not tradeable.

OK, he could provide the whole kin with enough potions, scrolls and repair cost refundings all the time I guess.

Aldo on
    edited January 2010
    What is he gonna do with 400g? All good items that could develop his characters are not tradeable.

OK, he could provide the whole kin with enough potions, scrolls and repair cost refundings all the time I guess.

It's not like he wants the money per se. His natural inclination is just to do whatever makes him the most money. He's a tinker, and he was selling the crit Loth jewelry as fast as he could (both through guild recipes and branch turn-ins) for 5g a pop, back when the market was still high. He'd do turtle runs, get to 4 emblems, turn in for a level 59 Hunter 1st age, and sell it on the AH. When Mirkwood first came out, he made a couple crafted relics and threw them up on the AH just to see what they'd sell for. It's just what he does.

He admits that he has more cash than he'll ever use. But I think for him to stop making money would more or less necessitate he stop playing the game.

Simon Moon on
  • JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You can craft level 65 3rd ages without it, but as most people wouldn't bother crafting a 3rd age, I suspect that's not what you meant.

Crafting 65 3rd ages does make sense. I'm pretty sure you have higher chance for three staring legacies, as opposed to mostly two starting legacies on 65 3rd ages dropped from mobs. Thanks to three starting legacies, you have a better chance to get useful LI.
    However, to craft the 65 3rd ages, you need “legendary fragments” that you sometimes get from breaking 61+ LI's.

JohanFlick on
    edited January 2010
    Hmm. Hadn't noticed that dropped LIs only tend to have 2 starting legacies. I'll have to start paying attention to that.

Simon Moon on
This discussion has been closed.