As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Birth control options

2»

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I see you mentioned the shot as something you wouldn't do, but let me give you my experience anyway since I don't feel like going to sleep yet.

I was on this while I was with my first husband about 10-11 years ago (good God). The convenience factor simply cannot be beat - it's minimally invasive (1 needle every 3 months), extremely convenient in that until it's time to re-up 4 times a year you never need to think about it, and it's super effective, so if you're both tested and monogamous you have something like .01% chance of actually getting pregnant without using another method. If you can pick a number between one and ten thousand and have a random number generator bring up that number, then you may be too lucky for this. It basically eliminates your period, so none of that nonsense either. There's nothing to feel because there's nothing there. I never would have remembered to take a pill every day or even every week.. I hardly remember to take the pill I need to stay alive, so for me that was a big plus.

During my year and a half on the shot, I only saw one of the scary side effects for certain that they mention, with another possible but unconfirmed. First, I gained weight. Boy howdy did I gain weight, and it was next to impossible to lose. My doctor actually said to me a year later that Depo weight is harder to lose than normal weight gain. I don't know if that's true, but my doctor said it and I did have a terrible time getting it off.

Second, it may have interfered with my mood. It's difficult for me to tell this because I wasn't in counseling at the time, I was in the process of moving far away from everything I knew, and I had some bad emotional problems to begin with, but looking back I don't remember ever being quite so unreasonable and difficult and just upset all the time as I was during that period of time.

As far as your reaction, no matter what you take, everyone is different and so is every medication. Even if you've taken many different types of medication in the past, unless one of them bears close resemblance to whatever you choose, there's no way to know how you'll react. You also can't reliably look at family. Most of my family has done fine on various forms of birth control, but all of it makes my sister quite ill. Common side effects are common because a statistically significant percentage of the population displays them, which means you'll probably be fine but it wouldn't be unheard of for you to see one or two. As far as possible side effects go, they are required to mention absolutely anything they see during trial, so unless you have related pre-existing conditions you should be fine.

Gyno exams aren't bad. I don't enjoy them, and they're certainly not comfortable, but they really aren't something to be too nervous about. Also, they're usually over pretty quickly. My doctor insists that I have a pap smear done once a year, and my sister actually ended up having something caught early enough to treat it, so I'm not inclined to argue the point.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    One other thing about drug interactions. Some antibodies make some pills less effective so always read your labels.

VisionOfClarity on
  • pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My ex was on the Pill for just over 3 years, sadly one of it's irregular side effects is that it can really lower your sex drive. I always found that quite ironic.

There are variations of the pill you can get that don't produce these results though, so i'd look into it.

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    :shock:
    Spacemilk- Oh shi-- I basically already have the sex drive of a 14 year old male. I...really don't think my boyfriend could handle it any more than it is.
    That totally depends on your definition of "handle". :winky:

That said, there were lazy weekend days where my boyfriend had to be like "AGAIN?! Dear lord... give me a minute."

Also, gyno exams: Personally I have to have a female doctor, for me it makes everything sooo much more comfortable. My doctor is great about making sure I am comfortable; she warns me before she does anything (this is very nice so you don't suddenly have a O_o :shock: D: moment). Don't be afraid to ask her (or him, as your preference goes) to wait a second or to warn you in advance. In my experience, the worst part is the anticipation. Basically the doctor smears jelly over everything, then sticks a... thing... inside of you to pry you open a bit (as needed - also this thing tends to feel cold so you might have a brief :shock: moment) then very quickly inserts the swabby thingy and takes a sample. You might feel a brief pinch or poke. After that, my doctor generally feels around to get an idea of the health of that area (she told me I had a very nice pelvis, teehee!). It's pretty important to have had at least one gyno exam by the age of 18-21 (opinions vary). After that, depending on your sexual history, you can go every 1-2 years. I go once a year because my insurance covers it all and, honestly, it's not that bad of an experience for me that it can't be handled that often.

I second what VisionOfClarity said about drug interactions... for example, taking St. John's Wort supplements will pretty much cause the Pill to be worthless. (I have never taken this supplement, myself, but just FYI!)

One thing you should be aware of is that BC can cause yeast infections. Not fun. Levora gave me one every single month, Yaz gave me one just at first, Nuva has not given me any problems at all.

One last tip: I know money-saving is likely to be an issue, because the pill (and other options) can be very expensive. But in my personal, somewhat limited experience, brand versions have worked SO MUCH better than the generics. YMMV.

Spacemilk on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, the only time I've ever been on medication (besides the occasional advil, which doesn't even count) was pain meds for when I had my wisdom teeth taken out, and some anti-biotic thing when I had tonsillitis, so hopefully I won't have to worry about BC becoming null when I start taking it.
    I'm pretty sure we're going to still be using condoms though, so either way we're set. :P

AlyceInWonderland on
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gyno exams are fine. I think the only awkward thing that has happened to me is when
    The doctor had to put her fingers inside to feel the organs and all that. I almost moaned D:

Outside of that, as long as your doctor is friendly and doesn't rush you, you should have an enjoyable experience. My first doctor (who, uh, caused the reaction I had) took time to listen to me. My doctor now actually meets with me before the exam, does the exam and then has a follow up meeting with me after the exam if I have any questions. It's awesome!

The only birth control I've tried is Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, which works well for me. Though some months I had some pretty bad cramps, I might have to switch to something else. However, my skin looks fantastic for the most part. I haven't had any mood swings or weight gain from the pill. Too many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are to blame for that one.

Mim on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Regarding drug interactions and the pill:

Most antibiotics pretty much cancel out the effects of the pill, as I understand it from my girl. So, just be aware that if you are on one you should be especially careful until it's clear of your system.

That being said, my girl enjoys being on the pill. The regularity of her "princess week" is a benefit that can't be beat (no including sex without making babies). She did, however, have some issues with finding the right hormone dose. It took a few trips to the doctors to get it right. One brand had her doubled over with cramps, another did some nasty things to her skin, the third was juuuuuust right.

Just talk to the doc and see how things go. And yes, she got her BC from planned parenthood as well. A months supply for something like 10 bucks. It's an affordable option if healthcare isn't something you've got.

DrZiplock on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, the only time I've ever been on medication (besides the occasional advil, which doesn't even count) was pain meds for when I had my wisdom teeth taken out, and some anti-biotic thing when I had tonsillitis, so hopefully I won't have to worry about BC becoming null when I start taking it.
    I'm pretty sure we're going to still be using condoms though, so either way we're set. :P

just remember that when on the pill it stops working when you take antibiotics and then takes a week to get working again.

just in case.

BobCesca on
  • Kevin R BrownKevin R Brown __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Friendly reminder:

Birth control isn't a females-only neighborhood. :) If your boyfriend is cool with it, he could just get a vasectomy.

The procedure isn't necessarily permanent (he can get it reversed if he wishes), and - in contrast with the hormonal options you have - there are no significant side effects like mood swings, weight gain, etc. One small surgical procedure and you're done.

Just throwing another option on the table to be weighed.

Kevin R Brown on
    ' As always when their class interests are at stake, the capitalists can dispense with noble sentiments like the right to free speech or the struggle against tyranny.'
    edited January 2010
    Hahaha, I don't think Spawnbroker would be too keen on getting a vasectomy :P but thanks!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What are you talking about, bring on the knife! My little swimmers have had it coming ever since I turned 13, time to die fuckers!!!

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What are you talking about, bring on the knife! My little swimmers have had it coming ever since I turned 13, time to die fuckers!!!

It feels like someone pulling teeth in your balls, but it's not so bad. Recovery time for regular lifting activity was about 4 days for me.

dispatch.o on
  • britinichubritinichu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've had pretty reasonable experiences with BC.

I took Yaz for about two years and it worked very well for me. WHEN I REMEMBERED TO TAKE IT.

I was on the depo shot for just over one year and I gained quite a bit of weight - I think it was mostly bad timing, in that this was the last year of college, and so my activity level was nil, all focused on books and computers. After getting the shot, I had one day of being very sore, one day of being very moody, and then maybe half a week of being incredibly horny. All in all, I would go back to the shot, but I'd be more careful about my weight this time around.

I took Ortho-Tri Cyclen for about two years. I didn't notice any obvious side effects, but I tended to get leg cramps very easily while I was taking these pills. It was one of those potential side effects that could be a bad sign MAYBE but also maybe not related at all. I was told not to worry too much. Fine, but I wouldn't go back to these again, if I go back on BC.

britinichu on
    "Your telephone line has sprung up leaks from all the lies I've told."
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The two types of BC that I have any experience with, you've already ruled out, but for the record...

Depo - convenient, but the side effects are killer. Would not recommend.
    Mirena IUD - super convenient, no side effects after the first couple weeks. Would totally recommend.

A friend of mine has been using Nuvaring for a couple years now and really likes it. Another friend just started using it, and she likes it so far, but said it was kind of expensive (with insurance ~$40/month).
    dispatch.o wrote: »

It feels like someone pulling teeth in your balls, but it's not so bad. Recovery time for regular lifting activity was about 4 days for me.

Could one of you two smack some sense into my husband? :P

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
    edited January 2010
    shugarae wrote: »
    The two types of BC that I have any experience with, you've already ruled out, but for the record...

Depo - convenient, but the side effects are killer. Would not recommend.
    Mirena IUD - super convenient, no side effects after the first couple weeks. Would totally recommend.

A friend of mine has been using Nuvaring for a couple years now and really likes it. Another friend just started using it, and she likes it so far, but said it was kind of expensive (with insurance ~$40/month).

Could one of you two smack some sense into my husband? :P

There has to be absolute certainty you don't want kids if you get a bilateral vasectomy. They don't crimp or clamp the vas def's they remove around a 1/2 inch section. Getting it reversed is costly and nearly never works completely.

That being said, I do not want children, ever. I am sure of this, and I don't like condoms or placing the entire burden of birth control on fucking with my girlfriends hormones or getting an implant.

There is an IUD in development for men, as well as birth control pills.

edit: It does grant peace of mind though, it's something I will never have to concern myself with again, and it was well worth it for me.

dispatch.o on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know if it is too late, but I will add in my 2 cents.

1) Tell your doctor you are nervous (is it your first pelvic exam?) They will take extra time to tell you exactly what they are doing and try to get you more comfortable. Also, all the PPs I have ever been to have the nice speculum warmers so you don't need to worry about them being cold (that is the worst part otherwise).

2)My experiences with BC:

Loooove nuvaring.

I had decent luck with BC pills before that but I had to change formulations about once a year because they stopped lightening my periods and decreasing cramps. Nuvaring I took for 3 years before I moved and couldn't get it for a reasonable price :x After that I tried two or three different kinds of pills but they all messed with my blood pressure so I had to go to non-hormonal BC.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    There has to be absolute certainty you don't want kids if you get a bilateral vasectomy. They don't crimp or clamp the vas def's they remove around a 1/2 inch section. Getting it reversed is costly and nearly never works completely.

Make a deposit at the bank before the snip snip and you're good to go.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

They never did anything to you!(yet)

Me and Kirbith use the pill.

It's been going for about 4 years no problems. She takes it at 7:55 EVERYDAY.

She is so good at that.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alyce, Planned Parenthood is where I go as well and they are good people.

Now obviously we live in different states so they will have varying costs as such, but some states are having Pills for very inexpensive right now, if that's an option you'd want to consider. I think for here right now it is $12 for a pack of pills, which is about half the normal cost.

I use them as opposed to any other method because I dunno, I guess actually physically taking the pill at the exact same time every day makes me feel awesome. Oh and I just set an alarm on my phone once and set it to go off every day so great reminder so I always take it at the same time.

I've been on I think about 4 different pills, depending on what they are carrying, and I almost always have a little weight gain (boo), about 5 lbs for me anytime I am on the pill. Also my breasts definitely did get a bit larger, they bumped me up from being about halfway between A and B to being a nice full B cup. Other than that, I got some nice side effects of the pills making my period very regular and them making any cramping or nausea go away.

Now I'm not saying that Pills are the right method for you but I hope that my experiences can help you a little.

Oh and with Planned Parenthood you will have annual gyno exams, I just had mine yesterday in fact. They will seem sooo scary at first but you'll feel so awesome after you're done and don't have to do it again for another year haha.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
    edited January 2010
    Welp, everything went fine. It was kind of awkward, and physically uncomfortable, but other than that, it wasn't a big deal. I ultimately decided on the Nuva Ring, so we'll see how this goes.

Thanks everyone! you've all been such a big help.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No problem. Enjoy the sex.

DrZiplock on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »

:winky:

On a more serious note, let me know how you like the Nuva Ring, or if you have any questions. I will say that after an entire first month-and-a-half of no breakthrough bleeding, I've been putting up with that crap for the last week. :( Otherwise it's been great. If you feel uncomfortable during sex with it in, don't be afraid to take it out for a bit, just make sure you put it back in once you're done.

Best of luck! :)

Spacemilk on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The female orgasm is not a myth.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is an IUD in development for men.

Buh, what does IUD stand for again?

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
    edited January 2010

The female orgasm is not a myth.

You would know!

Oh shi--I mean...wait. Whut?

AlyceInWonderland on
    edited January 2010
    matisyahu wrote: »

Im well aware, but it's the easiest way to explain what it is. I guess I should have said implanted birth control solution for men?

dispatch.o on
  • Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    matisyahu wrote: »

Inside Ur Dick.

i got nothing.

Nick Soapdish on
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ITT: Foreplay

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I know the pills mess with my wifes cycle. She had to quit taking them recently because they gave her a blood clot in her eye...which was rather scary. Apparantly if she takes them again she could die, as they can thicken blood.

mellestad on