Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Game of the Year 2009 [Let's Vote]

11011121315

Posts

  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ketar wrote: »
    We're going to find out what was most popular, here. Not most popular with the public at large - we can just look at the year's total NPD numbers to do that. So why would we want to base it on those numbers? Aren't we just trying to determine what was most liked by our fellow posters, not what sold best?
    But why limit judgment of what is "best" to this forum? Who are we to dictate that?

    What makes this forum's opinion better than my own, if not for the fact that it includes more people and is more likely to get at the heart of the matter? And if so, doesn't a larger number of people make it more accurate?

    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Retro Game Challenge is a damn good game(s). I popped it in played it for an hour yesterday just to remind myself, and there's just nothing else like it. Other than the sequel, of course. But I don't like to reopen that wound.

    I get the warm and fuzzies just thinking about RGC. <3 Oddly, I'm nostalgic for a game that is itself supposed to inspire nostalgia for other games. I might start another runthrough today just for fun. It was a January release, wasn't it? I'm not surprised if a lot of other people forgot about it, especially since it was a pretty low-profile release.

    I was also really surprised that Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes ended up being one of my favorite DS games (and overall games) this year, especially since it just came out mid-December and snuck out of nowhere. I like it better than Puzzle Quest, honestly.

    I still haven't bought it.

    I'm a bad person. :(

    Retro Game Challenge or Clash of Heroes? In either case, I'd rectify the situation. :P Those and DQV were my favorite DS games of '09.

    I wanted to like Henry Hatsworth, and the game was beautiful up until the last world but then the balancing just fell apart and it became a frustrating mess. Pity, as it was delectable up until then.

    Yea, I meant Retro Game Challenge. Sadly Henry Hatsworth was pure joy until is crushed my soul in the last area. :x

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, really. I bought it up because I thought it was stupid to argue about anyway.

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the ideal definition of "game of the decade" would be the game that, in a perfect world where you can interview everyone, the greatest number of people would call it the game of the decade.

    This right here.

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • KetarKetar Duke of Weaseltown Like an agile peacock!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ketar wrote: »
    We're going to find out what was most popular, here. Not most popular with the public at large - we can just look at the year's total NPD numbers to do that. So why would we want to base it on those numbers? Aren't we just trying to determine what was most liked by our fellow posters, not what sold best?
    But why limit judgment of what is "best" to this forum? Who are we to dictate that?

    What makes this forum's opinion better than my own, if not for the fact that it includes more people and is more likely to get at the heart of the matter? And if so, doesn't a larger number of people make it more accurate?

    You might actually be thicker than a brick. Kudos.

  • ZegunaZeguna Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Battlefield 1943 was probably my favorite game this year.

  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Who gives a fuck what sold best for GOTY purposes. We care about what people liked. People here (and the couple of other places that this poll includes as well). If you give a shit at all about the poll results it's because you have some perspective of what the aggregate of what this forum thinks about games, whether you think that the aggregate of a certain bunch of gaming enthusiasts here have good tastes or don't. I like seeing the results from this place because I like to see what this small corner of the gaming hobbyist "community" thinks are great games. I'm interested in what people that follow games closely are interested in. Not what sells and not what the mainstream cares about and not what critics deem the game(s) of the year. And this poll is always fun and interesting to partake in and view the results of, especially since MCC does such a great job of it and always provides some cool insight on other tidbits like the cult classic of the year or whatever.

  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Who gives a fuck what sold best for GOTY purposes. We care about what people liked. People here (and the couple of other places that this poll includes as well). If you give a shit at all about the poll results it's because you have some perspective of what the aggregate of what this forum thinks about games, whether you think that the aggregate of a certain bunch of gaming enthusiasts here have good tastes or don't. I like seeing the results from this place because I like to see what this small corner of the gaming hobbyist "community" thinks are great games. I'm interested in what people that follow games closely are interested in. Not what sells and not what the mainstream cares about and not what critics deem the game(s) of the year. And this poll is always fun and interesting to partake in and view the results of, especially since MCC does such a great job of it and always provides some cool insight on other tidbits like the cult classic of the year or whatever.

    Try not to hold back Slash. :P

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In honor of slash, if we're going to discuss Game of the Decade as "game that was most talked about," I nominate Duke Nukem Forever.

    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I second that nomination.

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2010
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stigma wrote: »
    Here here!

    I think it's "Hear hear" actually.

    But that's just my opinion.

    FFXIV/Sargatanas/Wintry Ptarmigan
    3DS: 3351-5352-0314
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    In honor of slash, if we're going to discuss Game of the Decade as "game that was most talked about," I nominate Duke Nukem Forever.

    Sweet, a game that didn't even come out could win this thing!

  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Connor wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Connor wrote: »
    Right, so it becomes even harder to say what is "Best" or not when there are people who vote purely on gut-feeling or the amount of satisfaction they got out of a game. You admit to voting for a game that is of a lower quality than other games. Measuring "Best"ness by sales numbers is a hell of a lot better than using people's stomachs.

    "Best" is, and should be, a purely subjective standard. Using sales numbers to determine that is laughable.

    "Most popular" is purely a reflection of sales numbers.

    "Most influential" or "Most important" is where we get into a gray area, and where sales numbers are one factor.

    You say its "laughable" as if using sales numbers to bestow "Best"ness is a shocking idea. Where is it written that "Best" is purely subjective?

    I'm not saying it's a shocking idea, I'm saying it's a stupid idea. Unless you think that Farmville is without question the best game of 2009.

    I also can't think of any possible way of determining a "best" game that isn't purely subjective. Based on your personal enjoyment? Purely subjective. Based on your personal enjoyment mixed with how you feel the game impacted the industry or society? Purely subjective. Based on perceived quality or production values? Purely subjective. Based on Metacritic scores? Purely subjective.

  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ketar wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    We're going to find out what was most popular, here. Not most popular with the public at large - we can just look at the year's total NPD numbers to do that. So why would we want to base it on those numbers? Aren't we just trying to determine what was most liked by our fellow posters, not what sold best?
    But why limit judgment of what is "best" to this forum? Who are we to dictate that?

    What makes this forum's opinion better than my own, if not for the fact that it includes more people and is more likely to get at the heart of the matter? And if so, doesn't a larger number of people make it more accurate?

    You might actually be thicker than a brick. Kudos.

    This isn't really necessary, is it? I haven't insulted you. Why would you say this rather than responding with a meaningful answer?

    It just makes me think that perhaps you don't have a good one, and I'm sure you wouldn't want people to think that.

    If you place ultimate importance on the opinion of the individual then there is no reason for a poll, and if you place importance on the opinion of many then you are making an admission that the more who participate, the more accurate the opinion. I mean who would really care about a forum poll with 5 participants?

    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • AthenorAthenor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just FYI...

    More than just this community votes in mcc's awesome poll.

    fCew0YJ.jpg
    Steam & NNID - Athenor // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I see your point, Sporky. Basically it comes down to where you draw the line. You could draw it at yourself and be content that the only games you have thus far experienced are among the best, or you could draw the line at the market at large via sales which might exclude games that the market never even knew about to begin with. Personally, I love MCC's poll because it draws the line at a community of gamers who follow news and games regularly and discuss them at length, a group with diverse tastes. Taking this group and polling them allows me to obtain a view of people who are interested and knowledgeable and vested in the hobby, and lists out a far wider range of games than I could ever myself have time to play. At least I can see what this one group which I think has more authority than the mainstream market, but more diversity and aggregate experience with more games than one person (myself), and provides a picture of what all games really are out there and what is generally agreed upon as being good.

    Course I don't take it as gospel, and I don't always agree with the exact placement of all games, but the general resulting list is always very good IMO, and it makes me think about some of the games I missed (which I try to go back and play when I have a chance).



    In conclusion, MCC is the bestest and has my thanks for these things as always.

  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    Just FYI...

    More than just this community votes in mcc's awesome poll.

    True, but even so, PA community accounts for about 90% of the poll. Last year 806 PA'ers voted, and all three of the other 'communities' accounted for only an additional 85 votes. And many of the other communities consist of former (or concurrent) PA community members.

  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    WoW could very well win game of the decade, as much as I wouldn't want it to. They have improved the formula for years but its still blood sweat and tears when it comes to grinding. I know what I'm saying is probably stupid but the whole game feels like it just capitalizes on people who have disorders with collecting items, being in power, or people who are so invested that they can't stop now. Sounds like most games, but WoW does it in a way that almost feels evil. But again this is the crazy old man talking.

    If WoW got game of the decade it should also get a reward for the most fights verbally recorded from a game.

  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would entirely agree with Slash in that I prefer the opinions of true gamers over the slobbering masses who buy Wii Fit because it looks cool. (No offense, Wii fans.)

    However, I'm still going to hold my position that sales can and do determine "best" over the long haul, even if that does offend your viewpoint on what constitutes "best". The most precious thing that everyone has is their money and their time (some say they're the same thing!) and if people are willing to pay money to spend time playing a game, then that speaks more to me about that game than glowing recommendations from Joe Game-Connoisseur. You are free to use whatever other metrics you wish to decide what's the "best" game of the decade, but there's something to be said for the "wisdom of the crowd".

    My previous job was working in market research writing software that collected what people really thought about products. I learned a few things pertinent to this discussion. One was that money is the supreme metric for deciding what people really like or dislike. Second, there is a lot of wisdom in crowd opinions. Given enough people, they'll pick the "best" choice available. Entire books and studies have been done on this principle. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds) So I'm not pulling the WoW & Beatles examples out of my ass to prove my pet theory, this shit is real and big decisions are made every year on what companies will sell as products because of the wisdom of the crowd. Which is why game innovation suffers but that's another discussion for another day.

    I'm going to seemingly contradict myself and say that game sales for GOTY are a poor metric. There is too much slick marketing these days that sells mediocre games. I don't think you can truly crown a game king until it's stood the test of time. It has to sell well past it's first year, and people still have to hold it in high regard despite newer technology and advances in gaming. Some of the games nominated here haven't been out more than a month or two. Really? I think gamer sites and magazines do their readers a disservice by awarding games that haven't been proven over the long term, but I guess that's how they sell magazines/ad space/whatever.




  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think WoWs metric is slightly different in that they're talking about how many people still play it month in, month out rather than one time purchases. If you took the top tracks by air time on the radio etc, then you might have a fairer comparison.

  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm personally interested in seeing the results because I usually just focus on a few games I'm really sure I'm gonna like. Seeing what other people like helps me discover great games I might have otherwise missed. Hell, half the reason I read this forum is to find out what is good and what should be avoided.

    Edit: I always hate being the last poster in a thread. It makes me feel like I'm responsible for killing the conversation or something.




  • echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sadly, Blazblue and Prototype were the best games I've played that came out in 2009 >.>

    steam_sig.png
  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2010
    '09 overall seems like a pretty weak year.

    I ended up picking Borderlands and secretly loving the expanded Monster Hunter. That's surprising to me. Borderlands is good, but GOTY good? I guess when you stack it up against the competition.

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    McAllen wrote: »
    WoW could very well win game of the decade, as much as I wouldn't want it to. They have improved the formula for years but its still blood sweat and tears when it comes to grinding. I know what I'm saying is probably stupid but the whole game feels like it just capitalizes on people who have disorders with collecting items, being in power, or people who are so invested that they can't stop now. Sounds like most games, but WoW does it in a way that almost feels evil. But again this is the crazy old man talking.

    If WoW got game of the decade it should also get a reward for the most fights verbally recorded from a game.

    Practically every human has a disorder with collecting items and being in power, it's sort of what our whole society is built on. That's not much different from saying that FPSes capitalize on people with murderous impulses. MMOs derive their fun from the sense of progress and accomplishment, along with the immersion of a complete world and social element of guilds/grouping. Video game snobs like to act like that's worse than blowing stuff up or driving fast cars or whatever but I hardly see the difference. WoW is extremely casual, there's almost no real consecutive time commitment unless you choose to be obsessed with the super hardcore stuff.

  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    2009 was pretty great for me game wise although some of the games I played were from 2008. This was also a pretty great year for ps3 exclusives, though fairly weak for the xbox. (I really enjoyed Killzone2, Infamous, Uncharted 2, PJ Shooter, Shatter and last but certainly not least Demon's Souls on the ps3 and the only two xbox exclusives* that I bought were Trials HD and Shadow Complex)


    *I bought L4D2 on the PC

    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

    Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really feel like 2009 was the PS3's year and this year is going to be very, very good to the Xbox 360.

    If you rearrange 'very, very good to the Xbox 360" it actually spells Mass Effect 2.

    my twitter | beats music
    I made a bad game! Download it scrubs.
    Keep it Up!: iOS Android
  • StigmaStigma Registered User
    edited January 2010
    My perspective is mostly from the 360. There were some nice PS3 games I haven't played... did get my hands on Infamous and loved it.

    At the very least, the few games I did enjoy, I enjoyed alot.

    GoW2 felt like an 09 title for me, I was late to that party because I hated the original.
    It's subtle but they really improved it.

    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    I really feel like 2009 was the PS3's year and this year is going to be very, very good to the Xbox 360.

    If you rearrange 'very, very good to the Xbox 360" it actually spells Mass Effect 2.

    And Halo Reach and Alan Wake (which, all things considered, the jury's still out on). With Heavy Rain and GoW III hitting in February & March, I wonder what Sony's gonna do for a fall/winter blockbuster. I hope they're not banking on ModNation Racers like they did with LBP.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    I wonder what Sony's gonna do for a fall/winter blockbuster.

    resistance 3?

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • EgosEgos God Hand Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    I really feel like 2009 was the PS3's year and this year is going to be very, very good to the Xbox 360.

    If you rearrange 'very, very good to the Xbox 360" it actually spells Mass Effect 2.

    This year, PS3 has the Last Guardian...though.

    well...maybe it has it.

    XBL: Invisible Man PSN: Indrik
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    I wonder what Sony's gonna do for a fall/winter blockbuster.

    resistance 3?

    I'd be surprised if Resistance 3 wasn't released this year. It seems to be insomniacs thing this generation - alternate Resistance and Ratchet and Clank every year.
    Egos wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    I really feel like 2009 was the PS3's year and this year is going to be very, very good to the Xbox 360.

    If you rearrange 'very, very good to the Xbox 360" it actually spells Mass Effect 2.

    This year, PS3 has the Last Guardian...though.

    well...maybe it has it.

    God of War 3, Heavy Rain, GT5... Ps3 certainly won't be a slouch this year.

  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    I really feel like 2009 was the PS3's year and this year is going to be very, very good to the Xbox 360.

    If you rearrange 'very, very good to the Xbox 360" it actually spells Mass Effect 2.

    This year, PS3 has the Last Guardian...though.

    well...maybe it has it.

    PS3 has some darned good things this year. As he said, hopefully Last Guardian. There's also Heavy Rain, God of War 3, MAG, White Knight Chronicles, Gran Turismo 5, Modnation Racers, Resistance 3, Final Fantasy XIV, and if there is a god, Starhawk. All of which may or may not be great... and may or may not sell a shit ton.

    I also look forward to some sort of announcement on Twisted Metal PS3 this year.

    theincidentsig.jpg
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And the Wii is going to have Zelda, SMG2, and possibly Metroid this year.

    I think we all win, really. But especially me, because a Zelda release has basically become a religious experience.

    rvcontre78 wrote:
    This game is all about the racism. I hate to think about all the backlash that will be involved but the truth must be told. The truth about a man who kills people by dropping them from his crane. Political correctness be damned. Damned to the max.
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I didn't play many new games last year. I picked 7 total, and a few of them I didn't even buy, but just played elsewhere.

    Here's to growing old! I wonder where the PC games end up this time.

  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Woot, Batman is #1!!! And Ghostbusters is #31?

    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Graviija wrote: »
    And the Wii is going to have Zelda, SMG2, and possibly Metroid this year.

    I think we all win, really. But especially me, because a Zelda release has basically become a religious experience.

    Uh, your sure Zelda's making it this year? Perhaps you can share the source which you base this assumption on, because that would be pretty sweet.

  • BehemothBehemoth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Demon's Souls at 13 : (

    Ah well, at least it got plenty of #1 votes. Guess it's this year's cult game of the year.

    Kinda funny how Uncharted got more than 100 #1 votes but still didn't crack the top 5. I guess if you played, you loved it, but not many people played it.

    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's a pretty solid top ten though overall.

  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    List seems pretty solid. Brutal Legend ranked way higher than I expected, which is great. Plus, the goddamn Batman.

    Zeno Clash at 43 disappoints me, though. And Riddick at 65. And Bionic Commando at 90? At least I feel better being one of the 23 people to express something approximating appreciation for that game than I did being one of the 5 people that liked Dark Sector last year. It's... it's like I almost have a crew.

Sign In or Register to comment.