As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    3.png

bombardier on
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bombardier I think you're my favourite.

Edit- I like Beartotoro.

Nic on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tam I sent you a PM-critique!

NightDragon on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's almost like a bacon crit, people, I kid you not

Tam on
    edited January 2010
    Tam, I want to see an update on your take of beav's Cretan lady with her mule, that is if you're still working on it.

Nic on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    It's almost like a bacon crit, people, I kid you not

Man last time I gave you a crit on a landscape, you didn't post another landscape for almost a year!

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited January 2010
    That's because I'm about as energetic as molasses running uphill. It'll be another year before I post an update on the monastery

Nic, no I'm not doing anything more with that pic- might do something with it (much) later

also, the thread is marked NSFW, so

vys83k.jpg

also
    Sorry for the h-scroll!
    composite.jpg

HOLY FUCKING SHIT GODDAMN I DON'T EVEN

FUCK

Tam on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    reminds me of the character portraits from (every bioware game ever)

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited January 2010
    I like it, Tam.
    You make me want to use my tablet, but I'm in the middle of doing, like, a zillion figure sketches.
    Maybe tomorrow.
    That is, if I'm not doing, like, a zillion more figure sketches.

Nic on
  • J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Crit me yo! What should I do to do better?

0330_003.jpg

My blender sucks. Need new blender, can't make good smoothies without a good blender.

Gah, TOP, and Gah, Every time I post, I notice the mistakes after. I'm super self critical. Gah. Damn boob dissapears into armpit, damn other boob is to bubbleh. Doesn't match up with lighting. *bangs head on desk* fail fail fail. Meh, 2ish hour practish.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry for the h-scroll!

composite.jpg

Oh god. Oh god oh god.

Oh my god.

Oh god. Oh fuck.

Oh fuck.

Anyway, yeah, these are great.

desperaterobots on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    J-P: For starters, you seem to be having a problem drawing what you see. Maybe try just a head with your next study, and really work on building the shapes from the ground up. Sketch an eye on the side. Think in terms of shapes. This forms this shape, this forms that shape. The shape of any negative space, and the general shape of something in its entirety (say, the eye and the brow combined)

Edit: An example. Look at her left eye. See how the bottom lid slopes upward gently, and the widest part of the eye is right around the 1/3rd mark. In your drawing the eye is football shaped. The widest portion is in the middle, and the bottom lid is drawn with a downward curve rather than an upward slope.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wassermelone-san, I was wondering if you could elaborate on your process for those crazy alien portraits? You know, for old times sake?

Edit: Tam and ND, Would it be possible for me to see that bacon-esque critique? I'm pretty sure it would be useful to me as well.

F87 on
    edited January 2010
    F87 wrote: »
    Wassermelone-san, I was wondering if you could elaborate on your process for those crazy alien portraits? You know, for old times sake?

Edit: Tam and ND, Would it be possible for me to see that bacon-esque critique? I'm pretty sure it would be useful to me as well.

I wasn't going to post it, but I feel less bad about it now. :P
    This is a quick and godawful paintover (not like Bacon's!), so I'm not even going to post it in the Doodle thread...

Tam_Paintover.jpg

...but I tried to fix a few issues I saw in your piece. I think the super-vibrant sky was one of the things that was bothering me. The images on the right show the points of saturation, the middle is values, and the images on the left are the pieces with value and saturation combined. Yours on top, my edits on the bottom.

Check your values frequently by desaturating everything! You could really push that range, especially with the atmospheric perspective in the background.

Remember that the mountain ranges are still 3D objects - the parts of the mountains that come closer to us will be darker and less blue. Again, though, the farther away something is, the less of a value range it has.....but as the mountain ranges come closer, they should begin to develop some form, rather than remain flat cut-outs (I know this is a WIP, and maybe you were going to do that later, but I thought I'd mention it just in case).

I'm not sure what you're planning to do as far as focal point goes (I didn't pick one in my own edit), but the highest contrast should be around that area. I also like to have the most saturated colors around the focal point, as well. Generally, in the brightest areas, I place the most saturated colors, and in shadows I make the colors much more dull, and cool-hued.

Also, be careful not to add too much detail to the mountain in the far distance. Things that far away should have minimal and/or fuzzier detail...again, to bring out the focal point, which should be the more tightly-rendered part. Bringing out the focal point with color/detail/saturation could be very very very slight, too. I actually still need to learn to be more subtle. I keep thinking "I'll do it this time!" and then I just go crazy with vibrant colors everywhere, and stark contrast between the saturated and non-saturated areas. Blegh!

That's all I can really think to write right now. I know you know some/all of this already, and I don't mean any offense by mentioning it...but I think that sometimes it helps to repeat things again, so you may see them more clearly in your piece. :)

NightDragon on
    edited January 2010
    Now I'm inspired to do stuff like that... Thanks for posting it ND!

Nic on
    edited January 2010
    Sure thing! :)

NightDragon on
  • MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry for the h-scroll!

composite.jpg

I take it you have a desktop version of this laying around somewhere??

Please?

MufasaJoe on
    edited January 2010
    Alice Practice

alicepractice.jpg
    I'm unemployed, so I practice.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    J-P, my suggestion is to sloooooow doooooown. Pick a single simple subject like a portrait or portion of a face and try copying it exactly.

Scosglen on
    edited January 2010
    Yup. That's my advice.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited January 2010
    You guys can read me like a book. When I draw, I'm usually at full throttle. Gotta chill out *breaths*.

You told me before, but I've always been used to drawing uber fast. Its been my problem since day 1.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
    edited January 2010
    Is it weird that when I read J-P's responses as if they're being spoken by Blur from Transformers?

Nic on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah.

J-P, take the time to get it right. Speed will follow.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nic wrote: »
    Is it weird that when I read J-P's responses as if they're being spoken by Blur from Transformers?

as long as you read Earth Worm Adam's as Jazz, then you're allowed to say

cakemikz is Unicron

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So cakemikz is Orson Welles?

That...that makes sense

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Should I like not post for a while? I feel I'm flooding this place.

FYI Ladyhawke has a lazy eye.
    ladyhawke.jpg

I tried to slow myself down a bit. I'll continue to hit the breaks.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TheHighender.png
    Two artists duel with tablets and styluses. The victor gains his opponent's artistic abilities.

MKR on
    edited January 2010
    J-P wrote: »

[snip]

I'm pretty sure you're fine.

Looks like you're doing better. Try not to rely on blur so much, and keep practicing. Ask bacon what the difference between hard and soft shadows is.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited January 2010
    J-P wrote: »

[snip]

I'm pretty sure you're fine.

Looks like you're doing better. Try not to rely on blur so much, and keep practicing. Ask bacon what the difference between hard and soft shadows is.

I didn't even use the blur tool D:

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
    edited January 2010
    J-P:

You are rendering things that aren't there. At all. THe little dip above the upper lip has been over-emphasized in both of your last two pieces. I think you're getting lazy (i.e., impatient) and throwing down some stuff you think will be there, without actually looking at your reference. You're doing all of these way too quickly. You should be blocking in the large shapes first, making sure the large value shapes are accurate, and then go in and work smaller. You're not even getting the shapes down properly before going crazy into the rendering stage. If you blur your vision and look at your image and the reference, it becomes immediately obvious where you've deviated...not only in shapes of the values, but of the values themselves (her face and neck are not that light...her hair on the right is softer-looking, and has a smaller value range than what you've done....etc)

It's obvious you're impatient, because you're missing not only small details (the lighting on her lips, for example)...but you're missing huge, major value shapes (her hair on the right). You just looked at the reference and filled in some random strokes that are loosely based off of what you saw...but it's obvious you tried more on the face area and less on the hair. The face is slightly more "important", and more fun to draw, sure...but that doesn't mean you throw accuracy of the other parts out of the window...especially when you're dealing with something like this, where there are not that many parts to the picture. Everything is going to be more heavily scrutinized...(as opposed to a huge, full-blown illustration of knights in battle, for instance). You can place more detail in the face, you may use smaller brushes for the face....but the hair should still be accurate. You can use larger brushes and use less detail and still have the major value forms of the hair be accurate.

Try to take every step more slowly. Work first on getting the basic shapes down EXACTLY, before moving on to smaller shapes. Rendering is fun as hell (I am the Render Queen and it's detrimental to me sometimes, because I move into that faster than I should...when I should be spending more time conceptualizing and designing...and I may spend 12+ hours on a piece!)...but rendering means fuck-all if it's over major shapes and forms that are incorrect.

Pay close attention to your negative space. I'd actually suggest you work on duplicating images that have fewer values, just so you can learn how to slow down for the sake of accuracy, and to teach yourself some patience.

Something like this:
    bh_portrait04.jpg

...and then maybe move up to this:
    Arnold-Black-and-White-Closeup-1-1152x864.jpg

...and spend AT LEAST an hour or two on the first one, and AT LEAST two hours on the second one. I don't know how long it took you to do the ones you've already posted, but I guarantee you that you're going to have to concentrate harder, make a solid effort to draw what you see - even the "boring" parts - and spend at least double the time on them that you have been, if you want to see any improvement in accuracy.

[edit] and on the 2nd one, limit yourself to TWO VALUES ONLY at first. Make sure those are super-freaking-accurate before moving on to any more values. Honestly, you should probably limit yourself to three values on this one, just for practice. That doesn't mean use a full gradient between black and mid-gray, either...that means make the values hard-edged poster shapes.

NightDragon on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nobody is ever going to chide you for posting too much work. So don't worry about that. If anything you should be worried about shrinking away and sulking or giving up on the study like most people do when we tell them that they need to slow down and try harder.

Your goal is to make this compairosn as non-jarring as possible.
    jpgif.gif

I aligned them along the edge of the cheek and jaw.

There is no two ways about it if you want to do a study like this justice, yes you have to make it look exactly like your reference more or less, and yes it is just as much work as it sounds like. There is no trick or special technique. If something looks wrong then it is wrong and you need to figure out why. That process is one of the most valuable things that a study like this can teach you.

This gif should give you a good idea what parts are off if you want to keep hacking at this and make it better ( I think you should). It also demonstrates how the smallest of discrepancies can add up to a complete flop of a likeness when that sloppiness is taken throughout the whole image. The angle of the neck that we can barely see below the chin, for example, is completely flipped around. That is the sort of thing you need to be anal about. You also have some issues with making up edges that aren't there, and edges are extremely important and sort of hard to talk about without showing, so I think I will make a tiny paintover.

Addendum:

Okay. Here is a rough demonstration of what I mean by edges. Keep in mind that the values are not absolutely perfect and the underpainting is still incorrectly drawn so some spots may be misproportioned, but hopefully you get the picture.

edgesdemo.gif

There are several spots on the face where you've simplified down to a fairly hard edge, where one value quickly shifts into another. The reality is that she has a very soft and nuanced transition on her cheeks and the bridge of her nose, which is frequently the case when dealing with fleshy surfaces. How one value shifts into another is just as important as the values themselves. I've emphasized only the most grievous of edges that you overlooked, but every single value transition on the entire face needs this kind of careful attention paid to it.

Scosglen on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This one is for jpeg who constantly tells me to lay off texture and whatnot. Sooooo here it is.

alien.jpg

Obilex on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hahaha, I dig it obilex. it's good to see what your work looks like without those.

I like that you seem to have reversed the typical saturation in an environment showing distance like this (that is, usually saturation might go down with distance, you have the reverse here) and yet it still has that illusion of depth, good work

also, the colors remind me very much of monkey island.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
    edited January 2010
    jpeg wrote: »
    also, the colors remind me very much of monkey island.

They remind me of Spyro. :3

NightDragon on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Futore wrote: »
    Nic wrote: »

as long as you read Earth Worm Adam's as Jazz, then you're allowed to say

cakemikz is Unicron

This is the nicest thing anybody has ever said about me.

rts on
    edited January 2010
    2vaz4nt.jpg

Tam on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm going to be honest, Cake. I had no idea that Orson Welles voiced Unicron in the '86 Transformers movie.

I only meant to say that you are the largest transformer and the destroyer of worlds.

However, I think we can both agree that that is still pretty awesome.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    F87 wrote: »

Im probably going to be doing another set of 8 of these, so Ill try to save frequent progress shots and record my thought process on a couple of them.

Wassermelone on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They're so good Wassermelone, one of MY FAVOURITE THINGS.

desperaterobots on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wassermelone more like Wawesomelone.

CheerfulBear on
This discussion has been closed.