As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo3/Wars/Reach - REACH BETA = May 3rd; NEW REACH MULTI VID IN OP

EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MANRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhQ9KkoQ3I
HOLY SHIT

Penny Arcade Forums Halo
established November 9th, 2004

odstbar_2.jpg
Halo 3: ODST is Bungie's newly released first-person shooter.You are the Rookie, an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper deployed to New Mombasa in Africa at the same time the Master Chief is fighting there in Halo 2. The Prophet of Regret's ship enters slipspace as your pod falls to earth, and the ensuing blast throws the city into disarray and separates you from the other four members of your squad. You wake up at night in the city, and are tasked with finding clues in the open world to the whereabouts of the rest of the squad, and relive their experiences through playable flashbacks.

Halo 3: ODST comes with two discs. One contains the ODST campaign, and a Horde-esque co-operative multiplayer mode for four people called Firefight. As time progresses, gameplay modifiers are added such as the enemies throwing more grenades or your HUD vanishing. If the team wipes, it's game over.
The second disc (known as Halo 3:Mythic) contains the standard Halo 3 multiplayer that we know and love, as well as all previous free and paid DLC maps. Also included are three new maps, Citadel, Longshore and Heretic. This disc is fully compatible with anyone playing vanilla Halo 3 multiplayer and has all the features you'd expect except for the Halo 3 campaign.

Still confused? Charts usually solve that problem - at least, for me.
justbuyodst-formal.png

halo3bar_2.jpg
OUT NOW
Halo 3 is a first-person shooter, the third in the trilogy after Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2. You are the Master Chief, an artifically-augmented seven-foot supersoldier known as a Spartan to the United Nations Space Command Marine Corps and the Demon to the Covenant, a collected alien force made up of several different races. The Covenant believe that their purpose is to usher in Judgement Day, based on the teachings of the Prophets, of which only one remains. To do this, they must light the Halos, structures in space. Their real purpose, however, is to extinguish all sentient life in the universe, as they are a last resort weapon created by an ancient race, to eliminate any food source for the all-consuming hyperintelligent parasite known as the Flood.
halowarsbar_2.jpg
OUT NOW
Halo Wars is a real-time strategy game developed by Ensemble, the company behind Age of Empires. It takes place before the events of Halo: Combat Evolved, and tells the story of the previous Arbiter of the Covenant and the battle for control of the planet Harvest. The Covenant have uncovered a Forerunner artifact that leads to a site now occupied by humans. After travelling from planet to planet, a plot is uncovered that could threaten the survival of humanity.
halo2bar_2.jpg
OUT NOW
Halo 2 was the game that started this thread/clan, which was named after the "I Love Bees" ARG. The first Halo for Xbox LIVE, it set the standard for matchmaking style games, and that still holds up and beats out games to this day. It also featured clan lists and clan matchmaking playlists, which unfortunately died out to people gaming the system. While fun, the game was riddled with exploits and people getting outside of the maps. The game was later ported to Windows Vista, and a few people on PA play this game once in a while, so if you'd like to get some achievements, just ask in the thread.

haloreachbar.jpg
AVAILABLE FALL 2010
Halo: Reach is a first-person shooter. Little is known at this time, other than it takes place immediately before the events of Halo: Combat Evolved, and will tell the story of the attack on the human-occupied and defensive cornerstone planet Reach by the Covenant.

If you want to view the newest trailer, hop on over here and check out all the media. No, the trailer didn't reveal much.

A multiplayer beta of Halo: Reach will be included with Halo: ODST. And how will you play the beta? It it show up on the bottom of the main menu like so:
reachbetamenu.jpg

"I'm not here for that campaign nonsense! I'm here to play online with cool dudes," I hear you cry, in that unlovely way of yours. Well, you're in luck! TBK, The Bees' Knees, have been around since 2004 and take their name from the Halo 2 ARG, 'I Love Bees'. No matter what gametype you like playing, you'll find someone who shares your interests here to team up with. Unless you play Lone Wolves, in which case you'll have trouble teaming up.
downloadbar.jpg

You don't need the paid maps to play with us, and if you don't have them already, I'd suggest not buying them, as they all come packaged for free with Halo 3: ODST, as described in the post above. However, there's no reason not to grab the free maps, and if you want to grab the paid ones, these images will come in quite handy.
heroic_download.png coldstorage_download.png
legendary_download.png mythic_download.png

And the map pack DLC for Halo Wars has some people eager to play it if you choose to buy it.
halowarsmappack.jpg

Since all of Halo 2's content is on the original Xbox Live, we cannot provide easy links to grab the DLC. However, all of it's DLC is free, and all of it's DLC is required to play any of it's playlists.

gamertagbar.jpg

Now you have the arenas, you need gladiators to fill them with. Fortuitous, then, that I happen to have my class register right here.
North America

FyreWulff+Rex.ashx Thrillhizzle.ashx muffinman1318.ashx Mr+McShootguns.ashx
SJCHS+Ghost.ashx OmnomnomPancake.ashx Degami.ashxYardGnome737.ashx
MrBeeb.ashx Kor+of+Memory.ashx Lookfreegrenade.ashx RatSult2.ashx
BamSaidTheLaday.ashxA+Mad+Tea+Party.ashx DogEight.ashxEvil+Badman+MD.ashx
cap+crunchberry.ashxTheHarlequinade.ashxvolatilesky.ashxT4CT.ashx
Local+H+Jay.ashxj0shg0tr0.ashxAngel177.ashx

Great Britain & Europe

Colonel+Leitner.ashx Major+Leitner.ashx Willeth.ashx MLG+Norseman.ashx

If you want your gamertag added up there, PM FyreWulff with your gamertag. Please also state which country you live in so I can sort you properly.

This list collates people who want to play Halo, and you can become one of them very easily. Post in the thread, say hi, add a few of us as friends and play some games with us. As long as you're not the typical shit-flinging retard that Xbox Live seems to cultivate, you're welcome to do so and to call yourself a Bee. If someone is acting like a shit-flinging retard, contact FyreWulff or Evil Badman.

FyreWulff wrote: »
I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
EvilBadman on

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    OLD_95349623.jpg

reserved

FyreWulff on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    first real post is the best

also if anyone wants help in Halo 3's original campaign they should say something because I'm two breaths away from trading the original game in now.

T4CT on
    edited January 2010
    Also by the way, I'm going to write up an email to urk and officially apply to be a Bungie Favorites group. Just a heads up.

FyreWulff on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't want motion controls in a FPS, but using natal to track my head movements would be super rad.. allow me to look around without moving the controller? Yes please.

Yeah, but if you turned your head to look to your right, you'd no longer be looking at the TV.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My 360 is still out on loan. As well as my Halo's. I should go get those because I have the itch.
    Kor wrote: »
    I wouldn't want motion controls in a FPS, but using natal to track my head movements would be super rad.. allow me to look around without moving the controller? Yes please.

Yeah, but if you turned your head to look to your right, you'd no longer be looking at the TV.

That is just so silly. I don't know about the rest of the world but I like to keep my vision centered on my screen and use my peripherals for detecting enemies and motion and then adjusting the center of screen to engage. I can see myself having to move my head like a mouse with little desk space to turn around using head motion controls.

DekuStick on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Only if the system adjusts your view at a 1:1 ratio. Most head tracking software has calibration tools to scale your real world movements.. you configure the dead zone, and so on. The end result is relatively small motions give you large motions on screen.

Maybe it's not as big a deal in Halo, but in more realistic games like ARMA or something, being able to look somewhere that your gun isn't pointed can be valuable.

It seems like a good way to get people warmed up on natal, without completely changing how games are controlled. Not that Reach will have it.. but I bet the xbox will get a FPS with it at some point.

xzzy on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So that just worries me about outside influences.

Try playing New Super Mario Wii and scratch your nose. Then watch as you accidentally jump into that pit of doom.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • AMadTeaPartyAMadTeaParty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DekuStick wrote: »
    My 360 is still out on loan. As well as my Halo's. I should go get those because I have the itch.

That is just so silly. I don't know about the rest of the world but I like to keep my vision centered on my screen and use my peripherals for detecting enemies and motion and then adjusting the center of screen to engage. I can see myself having to move my head like a mouse with little desk space to turn around using head motion controls.

The annoying thing about any motion control is the fact that you can't be lazy. You don't really get to choose the position you sit or lay in. It is just way more of a pain in the ass than it needs to be. I would prefer laying down any day.

AMadTeaParty on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I finally got a perfection medal tonight, I'm pretty pleased. I've recently been doing a hell of a lot better than I usually do so I'm pretty excited about playing. If anyone wants to play sometime just hit me up and let me know you're from PA, my gamertag is Darmak X99.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So Halo Wars is pretty fun when you have a three man team and are properly working together.

Leitner on
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also by the way, I'm going to write up an email to urk and officially apply to be a Bungie Favorites group. Just a heads up.

What exactly does this mean for us?

Do we get medals if we get accepted?

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Any word on the Reach beta, or are we waiting for GI?

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    El Extremo wrote: »

It means we'd have stuff from our File Share on Bungie Favorites instead of terribad spartans behind explosions

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
    edited January 2010
    hoodie13 wrote: »

Only quote is from Urk who said it will be "pound for pound the biggest demo ever"

FyreWulff on
    edited January 2010
    I'm thinking of jumping to Team Mythic later to try and get some of those achievements as well as play actual games, anyone interested in joining me?

T4CT on
  • ಠ_ರೃಠ_ರೃ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I will

ಠ_ರೃ on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would love to do some Team Mythic and/or Firefight later tonight.

DarkPrimus on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can I get my GT in the OP? Pleeease? :P

Snowblindvictim on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hoodie13 wrote: »

Only quote is from Urk who said it will be "pound for pound the biggest demo ever"

It's been inferred that it's around May because of the Child's Play auction terms.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited January 2010
    hooray mythic shenanigens later.

Who wants to help me decide what to buy with a 50 dollar best buy gift card

T4CT on
    edited January 2010

It means we'd have stuff from our File Share on Bungie Favorites instead of terribad spartans behind explosions

Oh. That'd be really cool.

My spartan with gun wings is so much much better than any of the other ones I have seen.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    hooray mythic shenanigens later.

Who wants to help me decide what to buy with a 50 dollar best buy gift card

Mass Effect 2, or hold onto it for about 9 months for Reach.

Or give it to me so I can afford FF13 easier.

Mx. Quill on
    edited January 2010
    It'd be elites in front of explosions

holding spikers

FyreWulff on
    edited January 2010

holding spikers

Those spikers got mad deep clips, yo.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Those are the best explosions

I already have ME2 pre-ordered

I'm thinking a new headset

or Halo Wars finally

T4CT on
    edited January 2010

holding spikers

a haiku for spikers:

new brute weapon
    shoots nails of pain and suff'rin
    cannot be spawned with

FyreWulff on
    edited January 2010
    I have several pictures I would like to have on Bungie Favorites.

DarkPrimus on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

holding spikers

a haiku for spikers:

bad bad bad bad bad
    bad bad bad bad bad bad bad
    only dual wield them

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spiker's melee damage is slightly higher than other weapons. Shoot 3-4 times, then melee, it will beat out an assault rifle at melee range (pretty much use it like you would use a single plasma rifle). You can get a decent amount of kills if you use one in mauler like situations.

... but yeah without a melee finish, even if you dual wield you will lose to pretty much everything else in the game.

Ratsult2 on
    edited January 2010
    2009 stats came out

Xbox 360 Top Live Titles (based on UU’s)

1 Halo 3
    2 Call of Duty 4
    3 Modern Warfare 2
    4 Call of Duty: WaW
    5 Gears of War 2
    6 GTA IV
    7 Left 4 Dead
    8 Halo 3: ODST
    9 FABLE II Episode 1 (of 5)
    10 バイオハザード5」デモ (BioHazard 5 - Resident Evil 5)
    11 Halo Wars - Demo
    12 RESIDENT EVIL 5
    13 Fallout 3
    14 UFC 2009 Undisputed Demo
    15 Left 4 Dead 2 - Demo
    16 Gears of War
    17 1 vs 100
    18 Guitar Hero World Tour
    19 Guitar Hero III
    20 FIFA 09

Top Games For Windows LIVE (based on UU’s)

1 GTA IV
    2 Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
    3 Fallout 3
    4 Shadowrun
    5 Street Fighter IV
    6 Halo 2 (PC)
    7 Batman: Arkham Asylum
    8 Resident Evil 5
    9 Gears of War (Windows)
    10 Red Faction Guerrilla
    11 Battlestations: Pacific
    12 Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
    13 DiRT 2
    14 Section 8
    15 Quantum of Solace PC
    16 FlatOut UC (PC)
    17 Fuel
    18 Viva Piñata
    19 SWTCW: Republic Heroes
    20 Juiced 2: HIN

FyreWulff on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So.... anyone wanna do some Halo Wars/Firefight/Campaigning later on today (any games)?

I just submitted my homework for the week and I have to work at 11pm tonight but I'm free till then.

Otherwise, I'll just paint my Space Marines

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I'll be on Firefight or something later tonight. Last night with internet in this apartment (moving), so I don't know if Cox Cable will actually be able to hook it properly with their first try tommorow.

Also remember that Firefight has it's own Game On thread now (the purpose being that when it's bumped, it's obvious someone wants to play Firefight)

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=109563

FyreWulff on
    edited January 2010
    oh hay it turns out Thrill needs some help with Mythic achieves. I'll be on in about 15-20 minutes, so people show up and we'll go into Team Mythic/Action Sack. You need to actually be playing though, or else you'll get smacked by Bungie.

FyreWulff on
    edited January 2010
    I'll be there shortly Fyre, this show needs to finish.

T4CT on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    So Halo Wars is pretty fun when you have a three man team and are properly working together.

I agree with this. I do recall the hilarity that came with playing as Regret on release with one of my buddies playing as Forge and just funneling cash my way while I glassed everything. Fun stuff.

Mechanical on
    edited January 2010
    I still need a Mythic achievement as well so let's ASSEMBLE.

DarkPrimus on
    edited January 2010
    GET ON

FyreWulff on
  • AMadTeaPartyAMadTeaParty Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorry that we didn't accept the invites. I decided to quit for awhile because the lack of blinking is making my eyes hurt. Kor just didn't want to play anymore. We might be back later.

AMadTeaParty on
    edited January 2010
    That was the shortest assembling ever.

DarkPrimus on
    edited January 2010
    TBK Achievement runs = attention span is endangered species

Let's try it again tommorow night with less fuckmuppetry

FyreWulff on
This discussion has been closed.