As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Saturn's [Chat]agon

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SHAVE IT

Elendil on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    My mom wants to go to the salon with me and get me highlights

How light should I go? Last time I had chestnut and caramel, but they weren't too prominent so my hair was still generally dark. Should I be a little more adventurous this time?
    Don't you have black hair?

Black hair is hot, highlights are for dorks.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    That's why I put that in, you only get to strike back if you're an omniscient God. Yay! Also I'm pretty sure you used "insipid" wrongly, unless it means anything other than dull or lacking in interest - perhaps lacking in content. I'm good at that, saying things that ultimately mean nothing, it's kind of how I intend things to be written most of the time.

And you don't let them hurt you by running away. I know that practically this would never work but I firmly believe that you can't just half-arsed about a position. Here I'm just expressing the belief that hurting others is wrong, no matter what's happening, causing pain is morally wrong. Adding exceptions and such just ruins the thought.

You know what pisses me off? People who pretend to be all "no killing is wrong, and everyone has to be treated equally!" and then goes on to justifying why terrorism (or whatever) has to be destroyed and how the war on [whatever] is completely okay. Either you say "okay so killing is alright, as long as you don't kill normal people who don't want to kill you" or you stick to "killing is wrong, always".
    You're employing an extremely black and white argument here, I find it impossible to argue with you as you refuse to come down from your purely theoretical point to the everyday world of people trying to hurt you or your loved ones.

I am not saying the War on Terror is a-ok, but I am saying that if I would notice the bloke next to me trying to blow up an airplane I would try to stop him by force. That attempt does not justify nuking Yemen, though. There are shades of gray.

Yeah, it is a highly theoretical viewpoint of how I wish the world would function. I'm entirely aware that it could never actually work (although, as elm I think it was pointed out, magical personal energy shields would create peace).

Also the plane thing is difficult for me (as in I'd find it difficult to actually cope with the situation) cause I can't run away and people other than myself are involved. I'd probably end up trying to tackle the dude as well but eh, what can you do?

Daxon on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

How light should I go? Last time I had chestnut and caramel, but they weren't too prominent so my hair was still generally dark. Should I be a little more adventurous this time?

Would they be super obvious? Because that kinda looks silly.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    But Posh, I don't always have a cop at my side, prepared to defend me.

Cops don't just protect when they're there.

They protect just from their potential presence.

Plus odd things protect us. I believe that the rarity of firearms in the UK prevents criminals from using them as much as they could. I would say most Brits have never seen a gun in real life, except for airport police. Guns are just, weird in all the countries I've lived in. That's a great thing, I think.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

it's a dark brown, actually. Not quite dark enough as asian hair.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I guess you're right Posh - but I at least don't think that they're the majority.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's why I put that in, you only get to strike back if you're an omniscient God. Yay! Also I'm pretty sure you used "insipid" wrongly, unless it means anything other than dull or lacking in interest - perhaps lacking in content. I'm good at that, saying things that ultimately mean nothing, it's kind of how I intend things to be written most of the time.

And you don't let them hurt you by running away. I know that practically this would never work but I firmly believe that you can't just half-arsed about a position. Here I'm just expressing the belief that hurting others is wrong, no matter what's happening, causing pain is morally wrong. Adding exceptions and such just ruins the thought.

You know what pisses me off? People who pretend to be all "no killing is wrong, and everyone has to be treated equally!" and then goes on to justifying why terrorism (or whatever) has to be destroyed and how the war on [whatever] is completely okay. Either you say "okay so killing is alright, as long as you don't kill normal people who don't want to kill you" or you stick to "killing is wrong, always".
    You're employing an extremely black and white argument here, I find it impossible to argue with you as you refuse to come down from your purely theoretical point to the everyday world of people trying to hurt you or your loved ones.

I am not saying the War on Terror is a-ok, but I am saying that if I would notice the bloke next to me trying to blow up an airplane I would try to stop him by force. That attempt does not justify nuking Yemen, though. There are shades of gray.

Yeah, it is a highly theoretical viewpoint of how I wish the world would function. I'm entirely aware that it could never actually work (although, as elm I think it was pointed out, magical personal energy shields would create peace).

Also the plane thing is difficult for me (as in I'd find it difficult to actually cope with the situation) cause I can't run away and people other than myself are involved. I'd probably end up trying to tackle the dude as well but eh, what can you do?

The thing is, other people are always involved.

If I walk away from some shithead, or even worse let him hurt me to hold on to moral perfection, then he's more likely and more able to hurt someone else.

If we stand up to violent people then we protect others who can't.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I dated a girl once whose hair looked black but was dark brown up close. Looked cool with the light falling on it.

Dude, don't do it!

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    I guess you're right Posh - but I at least don't think that they're the majority.

Perhaps I've lived in some unusually rough places.

God, kicking-out time on a Saturday night in Swansea was fucking murder.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I dated a girl once whose hair looked black but was dark brown up close. Looked cool with the light falling on it.

Dude, don't do it!

D: but is boring!

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Things I learnt today in WHSmith:

Printer paper is always much more expensive than I think it is;
    Folders are always more expensive than I think they should be;
    It is impossible to get a normal, spiral bound, narrow-ruled pad without spending a fortune on something much fancier than I need.

Blergh.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    poshniallo wrote: »

Plus odd things protect us. I believe that the rarity of firearms in the UK prevents criminals from using them as much as they could. I would say most Brits have never seen a gun in real life, except for airport police. Guns are just, weird in all the countries I've lived in. That's a great thing, I think.

Oh man the guns that airport security look (two handed ones) are fucking sweet. Guns look so cool, too bad I hate people having them :(

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Why does Pandora keep thinking I like Johnny Cash

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »

It is impossible to get a normal, spiral bound, narrow-ruled pad without spending a fortune on something much fancier than I need.

Blergh.

If everything is much more expensive than you expected, doesn't that mean you're old?

Did the prices seem more reasonable in old money? Did they refuse to accept thrupenny bits?

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

OK phew glad we're not driving this to absurd heights

Yeah, I'm very non-violent really. I know some judo stuff and know how to punch people in painful ways, but my natural reaction would be to put em in a headlock/sit on them and wait for a cop to put the bloke behind bars.

I kinda dread the first time someone gets lynched on a plane, it's bound to happen with awareness rising of "brown people being shifty in planes".

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'll reserve the ethical right to always be one step up in violence from someone who is trying to assault me. Though I may not have that legal right as it is.

There is no way I will accept being assaulted by anyone if I can help it. If they come after me unarmed I hope that I would use whatever object I can find to subdue them and make it through the ordeal without injury to myself.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You don't? Feh.

Dark brown hair wasn't boring to me. :(

Aldo on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll reserve the ethical right to always be one step up in violence from someone who is trying to assault me. Though I may not have that legal right as it is.

There is no way I will accept being assaulted by anyone if I can help it. If they come after me unarmed I hope that I would use whatever object I can find to subdue them and make it through the ordeal without injury to myself.

Why is your impulse to subdue them rather than run away? It avoids the obvious risk of escalation and physical harm to yourself which, regardless of whether or not you "win", still hurts.

I'd run away. I'd hate to have a tooth punched out or something horrid like that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    why does Pandora keep giving me terrible music

I like good music

Elendil on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Pandora always plays country music for me even though I always thumbs down country songs.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Blergh.

If everything is much more expensive than you expected, doesn't that mean you're old?

Did the prices seem more reasonable in old money? Did they refuse to accept your thrupenny bits?

I think it's 'cos for most of my Uni career I got free stationary due to being part of the student Union and going to the trade show where you walk away with a car boot's worth of free stuff.

I just resent paying that much for basic stationary and being unable to find what I really want in a store that used to be so good for the basics and is now kinda useless as they go for "fashion stationary" (whatever the hell that is).

I think I'm gonna have to just start bulk ordering from Viking, or something.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Why is your impulse to subdue them rather than run away? It avoids the obvious risk of escalation and physical harm to yourself which, regardless of whether or not you "win", still hurts.

I'd run away. I'd hate to have a tooth punched out or something horrid like that.

Yes perhaps I should've been clear on that. All of the above - given that I could not escape the situation. And those situations exists - because I've been in one.

Honk on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aw man, so what ended up happening to the kevin1gamer thread?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You don't? Feh.

Me + country = Bah

well was her hair straight, rather than an unkempt mass of curls

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Blergh.

Did the prices seem more reasonable in old money? Did they refuse to accept thrupenny bits?

Actually it is just that WHSmith are at least twice as expensive as anywhere else.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You don't? Feh.

Me + country = Bah

Mass of curls. Hated everyone with straight hair because when straight hair gets wet it doesn't explode.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

OK phew glad we're not driving this to absurd heights

Yeah, I'm very non-violent really. I know some judo stuff and know how to punch people in painful ways, but my natural reaction would be to put em in a headlock/sit on them and wait for a cop to put the bloke behind bars.

I kinda dread the first time someone gets lynched on a plane, it's bound to happen with awareness rising of "brown people being shifty in planes".

Also just because I find something morally reprehensible does not mean I wouldn't act that way.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qk_fAi5PuY

Note to self: Buy Later... compilation album at some point.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You don't? Feh.

Me + country = Bah

Mass of curls. Hated everyone with straight hair because when straight hair gets wet it doesn't explode.

God I envy peeps with curly hair, at least your hair is never a dead fish flop of boring and ugh.

Daxon on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010

No, I understand that, definitely (I've also lived in countries where guns were 'weird')

I just mean for me- not on a legislative, macro scale. For me, personally, a cop's not always there- and neither are the culturally protective elements he exudes and contributes to. Hence, I take certain steps to protect myself when the 'culture of safety' fails.

Organichu on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man living close to work is awesome. I'm here!

Man its awesome not having to go to work today!

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Man living close to work is awesome. I'm here!

Man its awesome not having to go to work today!

:[

I like working on Sunday

1.) It's usually relatively slow, especially when everyone's at church.
    2.) I get to come in an hour early to 'ready up' the store, and I always go get breakfast on the clock weeeeee!
    3.) I get off a different day during the week when shit's actually OPEN and I can run errands and go to museums and stuff like that which are closed on Sunday.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You don't? Feh.

Me + country = Bah

God I envy peeps with curly hair, at least your hair is never a dead fish flop of boring and ugh.
    Ugh no, I have curly hair and it is a crapshoot when taking care of it

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Guns are becoming more prevalent in the UK, particularly here (Birmingham), Manchester, and South London.

Still nowhere near the extent to which they're available in the US, and the lack of any legitimate trade in guns means that importing or selling them is extraordinarily difficult. As such, it usually isn't worth it for any criminal to actually go to the effort of obtaining one. Plus, crime involving guns is treated as A Big Deal by the Police, so there's a risk to the seller in selling them on, because chances are it'll get traced back to them sooner or later.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

No, I understand that, definitely (I've also lived in countries where guns were 'weird')

I just mean for me- not on a legislative, macro scale. For me, personally, a cop's not always there- and neither are the culturally protective elements he exudes and contributes to. Hence, I take certain steps to protect myself when the 'culture of safety' fails.

I trust on the goodness of people to not hurt me. It's statistically unlikely for me to get mugged, ever.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You don't? Feh.

Me + country = Bah

Ugh no, I have curly hair and it is a crapshoot when taking care of it

And I have to use SO MUCH MONEY on a constant supply of mousse

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have to work today. Thank goodness for proxies.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think straight haired people and curly haired people are always envious of each other. It's like one of those things.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I trust on the goodness of people to not hurt me. It's statistically unlikely for me to get mugged, ever.

Well, I was born kilometers from Gaza and I've been assaulted and mugged multiple times, so my trust in the goodness of people is suspect.

Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.