As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Netbook Gamer's Union] Join your local chapter today!

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Has anyone tried UT99 yet? Judging by the games listed so far I'm assuming it'll run fine, but I'm wondering how playable it is.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • totallytotally Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Silent Storm 2 and 3 play well at lower/medium graphics settings on my lowly Lenovo S-10 with 2 gigs of ram and Win XP, Jagged Alliance as well but that has already been mentioned.

totally on
    GT: totallyrobot GSID: totallytotally
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, I need to keep an eye here. Looks interesting :D

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm planning on getting a netbook and have an external CD/DVD drive for installing things (namely Baldur's Gate II and Civ III) but do not know of a reliable/trustworthy site for no cd cracks: is that something we can discuss here?

Darlan on
  • 0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Seeing as how those sites often are used to host pirated material or support it (with key generators and such), I would doubt it.

0blique on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Considering that Defense Grid is $2.49 for another 39 hours on Steam, it works well enough on a netbook to justify the cup of coffee price.

Mustachio Jones on
  • xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    All kinds of netbook goodness on sale on steam right now. World of Goo, Braid, Deus Ex, Civ 3, all sorts of adventure games, KotOR's on sale again, HoMM 5, the early-ish Prince of Persia games, a lot of other games already mentioned. I also like Crayon Physics and Aquaria, but only if you have a mouse.

GoG's got a sale too with other games- HoMM3, Fallout 1+2, Freespace. Duke Nukem MP is on sale and is a pretty fun side scroller that runs fine (except for widescreen).

Does anyone know if Rome: Total War will run? The requirements look fine, but the screenshots don't look like something I'd normally be able to run. For $2.50 it's at least worth a try if no one knows. What about Gothic 2?

edit-
    Darlan- this isn't the most space efficient way to go about it, but you can rip an iso image and keep it on your netbook, then mount it using something like this.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Deus ex runs very well but if anyone can find a widescreen patch they are a better man than I. I played the whole thing bordered at near max detail. Fantastic.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    major_tom wrote: »
    Deus ex runs very well but if anyone can find a widescreen patch they are a better man than I. I played the whole thing bordered at near max detail. Fantastic.

I look here first for widescreen fixes. http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Deus Ex - http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Deus_Ex

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bullio wrote: »
    major_tom wrote: »

I look here first for widescreen fixes. http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Deus Ex - http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Deus_Ex

Oh no. Now I will have to play through again. What a terrible predicament.
    thank you, thank you :D

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Considering that Defense Grid is $2.49 for another 39 hours on Steam, it works well enough on a netbook to justify the cup of coffee price.
    If you have a ION netbook then perhaps, but with a minimum requirement of a 1.8Ghz CPU I'm not quite sure. What I am sure of however, is that it most certainly isn't playable at all on a N280, 2 GB RAM, Intel GMA 950 netbook. It runs at about 4 fps (and down) on low details at 640x480.

Dírhael on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OK, I've been busy with typical family Christmas stuff, but I'm going to update the list in the next couple of days.

I should point out that ION equipped netbooks are much less common than their 3d-chip challenged brethren, so I'm not crazy about listing those games. Personally, I think if you're going to spend that much, you may as well buy a decent laptop, but that's my 2 cents.

I'm still having trouble getting Torchlight playable on my Eee PC (1005HA 1GB RAM). It may have something to do with power modes, but I've tried every in-game setting including the painful to look at 640x400 resolution.

I also tried Gratuitous Space Battles due to the basement price on Steam yesterday. It threw an error at startup about not being able to start the 3D engine.

El Guaco on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For shame, I searched this thread and nobody has mentioned Gog.com yet? It is especially important to note that they are having a huge holiday sale on most games.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    For shame, I searched this thread and nobody has mentioned Gog.com yet? It is especially important to note that they are having a huge holiday sale on most games.

If only it had been mentioned in the OP, under the second spoiler. Oh, if only...

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Archgarth wrote: »

If only it had been mentioned in the OP, under the second spoiler. Oh, if only...

Ha, thanks for the correction. Gog.com didn't come up in a search, and I didn't think of searching for the full name. But hey, there's a sale! :P

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited December 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »
    I'm still having trouble getting Torchlight playable on my Eee PC (1005HA 1GB RAM). It may have something to do with power modes, but I've tried every in-game setting including the painful to look at 640x400 resolution.

If you read their support forum, you'll see that you're not the only one in this situation. Everyone with performance issues, whether they're on a netbook or laptop or desktop, aren't seeing any difference in performance when they adjust settings like these. Setting all the details to low, the resolution, using the low-res texture mod, etc, no change in framerate. I think there's something screwy in the code, but they haven't acknowledged anything, and since the first patch came out they've really cut back on the developer communication so I don't know if they're looking at it.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »
    OK, I've been busy with typical family Christmas stuff, but I'm going to update the list in the next couple of days.

I should point out that ION equipped netbooks are much less common than their 3d-chip challenged brethren, so I'm not crazy about listing those games. Personally, I think if you're going to spend that much, you may as well buy a decent laptop, but that's my 2 cents.

I also tried Gratuitous Space Battles due to the basement price on Steam yesterday. It threw an error at startup about not being able to start the 3D engine.
    I also have a 1005, only with 2GB RAM (running Win7 Pro) and the game isn't anywhere close to being playable no matter how low I drop the settings.

Dírhael on
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sweet. I saw this thread, and then went directly to Steam and got Audiosurf for £1.50. Awesome.

Legba on
    edited December 2009
    Civ III, listed in the OP, will not run at 1024x600. It runs at 1024x768, and you need to scroll.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm away from my computer for the holidays, and so I loaded up my Eee with Duke Nukem 3D. It's exactly as awesome as it was in 1996.

If you use EDuke32, it'll run flawlessly with all your widescreen resmolutions and what have you.

Daedalus on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wonder if it's possible to run GOG games on Linux. Hmm...

edit: Yes, it is. Specially for games that use dosbox, you just need to use wine for the installer itself but then you're free to use dosbox for the game itself. Sweet. I guess I'll be playing Fallout and Duke Nukem 3D on my EeePC. I might even try Rise of the Triad...

Impersonator on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey, a question: What would you fine folks suggest as a good gamepad for a netbook? Something nice and compact, as opposed to a big bulky thing that wouldn't fit well with the tiny awesome device.

yalborap on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just use the X360 gamepad.

Impersonator on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the sega saturn pc gamepad that you can find on ebay.

also, Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just updated the OP with a link to this article.

I haven't read it thoroughly but it looks like a good first place to look for a list of games that are netbook compatible.

El Guaco on
  • greebzillagreebzilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    argh. civ4 should run, but it wants a minimum of 1024 x 768.
    my netbook (the Asus 1005HA) is only 1024x600 so it pukes at the onset.

greebzilla on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anybody with one of these should download Ur-Quan Masters. It's free and you'd be silly not to.

Honestly you should do it even if you have a high-end rig.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    greebzilla wrote: »

You need to set it to windowed mode then just maximize it. It'll distort the image, but it's still playable.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So that list of games has made me go (!) in my head.

1. One hour train comute each way to work
    2. Complete Baldur's Gate (I+II) collection on CD
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

given I don't have a USB CD drive how do I get them on my netbook? Is the obvious idea of installing to a SD card going to work or are there going to be issues about having the CD in the drive to play?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Warzone 2100 is a pretty rad game that's open source now and ought to run on netbooks. It can't hurt to try at any rate, it's not a very demanding game.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So that list of games has made me go (!) in my head.

1. One hour train comute each way to work
    2. Complete Baldur's Gate (I+II) collection on CD
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

given I don't have a USB CD drive how do I get them on my netbook? Is the obvious idea of installing to a SD card going to work or are there going to be issues about having the CD in the drive to play?

You'll probably run into cd check errors unless you do some shady business.

The solution I used for most of my games had to do with PowerISO and a virtual cd drive.

Mustachio Jones on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuck yeah! I bought a netbook this morning (a Toshiba mini with an N280 Atom) and can finally consider looking at PC games again. I haven't had a Windows machine to call my own in about 4 years, so I can have something to play my old copy of Grim Fandango again!

If I have a wired 360 controller, will I be able to use that with no worries? Alternatively I might still have a PS2 to USB converter.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have an old USB>Gamecube adapter that I've been able to consistently use on any operating system. The worst case scenario is that I have to map the buttons, but that's not a huge deal -- there's remapping software that's widely available nowadays.

For the OP, perhaps a good addition would be to put a viable source for the older games right next to them? I mean, I've got Planescape:Torment on CD, but that's not gonna do me a lot of good for a Netbook. I've also got The Longest Journey on CD, but that's available on Steam so that's a good source (Incidentally I would be surprised if The Longest Journey didn't run, given the laughably low requirements it has).

Might save people from hunting through a particular store, at least.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    greebzilla wrote: »

I've got a 1005HA; you can set it to 1024x768. Fn+F4 will change the resolution. You'll have to scroll up and down to see the full screen, but it works.

Legba on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh god. 24 hours into my netbook purchase, I'm quickly remembering why I pretty much abandoned PC gaming years ago. I installed Steam and have been dicking around with demos, and I know that my machine isn't a powerhouse but little things like DirectX problems and resolution settings are building up all over again. I tried the demo for Time Gentlemen, Please! which looked like it should run with no problems, but it wouldn't even launch due to some kind of Direct3D problem. I'm new to Steam, so I'll have to figure out exactly where my problem lies, but I'm weak so this is why I went to consoles ages ago. :P

Machinarium runs great since it's Flash, but I can't seem to access the menu at the bottom of the screen. My resolution is 1024 x 600, is there a way to force it into a smaller window or out of fullscreen?

EDIT: Huh, the non-Steam Ben There, Dan That works fine on my machine.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    If I have a wired 360 controller, will I be able to use that with no worries?
    Yes, works like a charm. As an aside, you can use stuff like Joy2Key (free, clumsy) or Xpadder (cheap, lovely) to use it even with games that don't support gamepads.

[edit] You shouldn't really be having DirectX problems at all, low resolution and CPU speed don't cause those. Have you fully updated your system?

Glal on
    edited January 2010
    Small KotOR update. I ran into some problems when I hit the undercity on the first planet. I needed to turn the grass off, and maybe tweak some other settings, but I'm pretty sure it was just turning the grass off.

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=441902&forum=80
    http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=434717&forum=80

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I went to gog and found out that not only they have all Tex Murphy games there they are 50% off until tomorrow! You can get all 5 games for 18 bucks! I´ll just have to see how they will run since I can´t get Pandora Directive to run with sound since I had a Pentium 3.

I highly recommend these games, I still think that Pandora Directive was if not the best adventure game I ever played the best experience I had with a game. Oh the joy of being 15 and exploring Area 51 for the first time and almost shitting my pants more than once, its the only game I ever had to turn off for being so scared...

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I run Armagetron Advanced on the netbook. Actually, that's the only game on their, but dang is it ever good. Supports native res too.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    EV Nova! Wooooo!

Runs at 1024x600!

Let the time-wastage begin.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg