Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Debate and Discourse: AWESOME POST in "Podly's Guillotine: a physicalist problem", by Alis

jothkijothki Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in [2008-2012] Awesome Posts?
jothki has reported a post.

Reason:
I keep imaging a horde of moaning zombies shambling towards a dualist philosopher, and him just standing there watching them and shaking his head sadly.

Nope, not going to work.
Forum: Debate and Discourse
Assigned Moderators: Elki, ElJeffe, Irond Will

Posted by: Alistair Hutton
Original Content:

Do like Qualia though. Don't know what it would be like to not have them. I feel bad for you guys that don't have them, and are zombies.

The true tragedy of the zombie is that a brain is not sufficient no matter how many they get.

jothki on

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aside from this probably being incomprehensible to most people, it's not particularly awesome.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades His love is a prize Rantin' and RavenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is this supposed to be a comparison of zombies to junkies

If so, it could have been done better than this

Still, it isn't face-rapingly bad

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I get by on the knowledge that I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time mucking about inside of my asshole anyway
  • KlundtasaurKlundtasaur Registered User
    edited January 2010
    "face-rapingly" is an adverb i'd like to see used more often.

Ilinana wrote: »
    I find it highly offensive that the topic of this thread is "Getting Offended: The New National Pastime."
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In most contexts, it's kind of forced.

I suppose that eye-rape is technically a part of face-rape, if you want to deal with images that make you want to claw your eyes out after looking at them.

Face-rape as a whole really isn't done, though, unless you're some sort of hideous alien monstrosity.

It's a philosophy thing. Dualism is the theory that consciousness somehow exists or works outside of the physical brain. Zombies are theoretical people who are physically indistinguishable from and act the same way as normal people, but don't actually experience qualia, and thus don't have real minds despite having physically functional brains.

• BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    You could even say face-rapingly forced.

"Despite all the bitching, if Diablo 3 sucks, I will eat my own cock. Counter-claim: If Diablo 3 does not suck, I will have a list of whiners who need to eat cocks." - Zen Vulgarity
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mine was better.

3rddocbottom.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades His love is a prize Rantin' and RavenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jothki wrote: »

I suppose that eye-rape is technically a part of face-rape, if you want to deal with images that make you want to claw your eyes out after looking at them.

Face-rape as a whole really isn't done, though, unless you're some sort of hideous alien monstrosity.

It's a philosophy thing. Dualism is the theory that consciousness somehow exists or works outside of the physical brain. Zombies are theoretical people who are physically indistinguishable from and act the same way as normal people, but don't actually experience qualia, and thus don't have real minds despite having physically functional brains.

You just made me like it even less

ElJeffe wrote: »
    I get by on the knowledge that I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time mucking about inside of my asshole anyway
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It was just a joke about zombie's eating brains.

Since in philosophy, zombies are like this thing that looks and acts like a person but has no thoughts inside.

But, I think that's kind of why they call them zombies, so it isn't really so much a joke.