As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Farscape]Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My package with the whole series is supposed to arrive Friday. In the meantime thanks to Netflix Instant I've gotten my wife addicted to the series. We're nearly finished with Season 1... just finished A Human Reaction. She had this shocked look through the entire episode.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Haha, if she's shocked now....

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, that's the episode where the character development really kicks in.

Man, Farscape is such an awesome show. Easily tied with BSG on my List of Good Shit.

Random fact most people don't know: Crais? He does Pilot's voice.

Echo on
  • silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Am I really the only person to draw similarities between the Delvians of Farscape and the Na'vi of Avatar?

silverbuddy on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Am I really the only person to draw similarities between the Delvians of Farscape and the Na'vi of Avatar?

Congratulations on your realization that they are both blue.
    Beyond that, I'm not seeing a huge amount of similarities between the two.

see317 on
    edited January 2010
    Well the Na'vi seemed plant derived like the Delvians.
    Carbon fiber bones where the Delvians had catiliginous fibers, and the markings on their face are similar to adaptations that were described as to be evolutionary steps the Delvians undertook to become bipedal humanoid lifeforms.

Also their ability to link with other plant life and the lifeforms of Pandora would be an adaptation which would seem to be an ability that something that may have been evolved from the same class of fauna might have. Aka the braid organ would be a type of root that can interface with other organisms on the Pandora.

Just something I noticed when I saw the movie, probably just looking to much into it

silverbuddy on
    edited January 2010
    Carbon fiber bones where the Delvians had catiliginous fibers, and the markings on their face are similar to adaptations that were described as to be evolutionary steps the Delvians undertook to become bipedal humanoid lifeforms.

Also their ability to link with other plant life and the lifeforms of Pandora would be an adaptation which would seem to be an ability that something that may have been evolved from the same class of fauna might have. Aka the braid organ would be a type of root that can interface with other organisms on the Pandora.

Just something I noticed when I saw the movie, probably just looking to much into it

I just realized what a dick I sounded like. Sorry about that. I'd blame it on lack of sleep or something else, but no excuses. I was just a dick.

I don't really see much resemblance between the two beyond a base physical appearence, and most of that just due to coloration.
    Just judging by tech level, the Delvians where a star faring, high tech people, whereas the Navi seem likely to be stuck in a perpetual stoneage by their connection with their Gaian planet. I mean, they're not likely to develop much in the way of high technology when A) any mining they do literally injures or kills their god and B) said god is more then willing to provide you with anything they need to live as it is. Not much incentive there to develop, though with the human's intervention I imagine it's possible that Eywah (?) may make a new race of space cabable dragons or something.

see317 on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The Na'vi had bones as well as fibers, didn't they? The fibers were just covered the bones, giving them a natural kevlar.

EDIT: Plus Delvians literally had magic powers.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah I wasn't thinking in terms of culture, just the two species seem to be similar, not just in the very slight outward similarity, but in the similarities in their bone structure and even to a degree their moral similarities.

And the guy in the beginning said they had actual carbon fiber bones. Speaking of Bones, Zan's reaction to a scarcely touched all fauna producing planet, as depicted in Bone to be wild was pretty Na'vi - like.

silverbuddy on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Speaking of Zahn,
    :winky:
    No, really,

MichaelLC on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chiana 4 Life.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited January 2010
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Speaking of Zahn,
    No, really,

Yeah, just make sure you keep her well fed. You wouldn't like her when she's hungry.

Also, to Undead Scottsman: yes.

see317 on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Random fact most people don't know: Crais? He does Pilot's voice.

This always blows my mind. It was like finding out that Luke Skywallker voices the Joker from the animated series.

Tertiee on
  • PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Huh, i had always watched bits of that show when it first aired over here in France, so it was rather confusing to follow, because i missed a lot...

But, congrats! You nuts have convinced me to engage in a massive marathon. I've just acquired the whole thing, and the pilot is already better than what i remenbered.

Onwards!

PaperPritt on
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hate you people. There goes another 60 bucks plus shipping and handling. It came in the mail this morning.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Only 60? You didn't grap Peace Keeper Wars? o_0

My package came yesterday instead of Friday! So now we've been able to race through the rest of Season 1 and begin Season 2. Honestly, Farscape gets so good once Scorpius comes in that the entire Season 1 all I could think was, "I WANT SCORPIUS! I WANT SCORPIUS!"

Also Claudia Black is so smokin hot I can't believe I forgot. Also I can't believe the sexual tension between Aeryn and Crichton. I'd forgotten all about it since for some reason I can only remember
    After they became active lovers, and then I remember Aeryn having to form a new relationship with Crichton 2, and then it's all fine and dandy until the end.

Note that I never saw the Peace Keeper Wars even though I know what happens, so it will be nice to finally have a resolution to everything.

You know what's weird about Chiana? The actress that plays her is more attractive to me as Chiana. That and I realized all of her mannerisms are modeled after predators, though it never occurred to me before.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When I first watched the entire Farscape series--only in 2008--I was kinda creepily obsessed with Claudia Black for like six months afterward.

Now me, I would have loved to see more of Aeryn-as-Chiana.

Shadowen on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »
    When I first watched the entire Farscape series--only in 2008--I was kinda creepily obsessed with Claudia Black for like six months afterward.

I watched a few episodes with one of my coworkers and he immediately started googling Gigi Edgley and watching as many videos of her that he could find.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
    edited January 2010

I just watched Unrealized Realities yesterday. Aeryn as Chiana never fails to look creepy to me, along with the rest of the cast swapping.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Some more trivia I thought was interesting when I first learned about it - Ben Browder's wife had several roles in the show.
    raxil.jpg
    401615139_0b8eca356a.jpg?v=0g
    220px-Rona.jpg
    minister_akhna.jpg

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited January 2010
    Your middle two pictures just say "hosted by tripod"

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Really? :(

Strange, they're working for me.

Dashui on
    edited January 2010
    Dashui wrote: »

Yes, really.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2010

Yes, really.

Okay, I swapped them out.

Dashui on
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Tripod, along with many other sites, don't allow images to be hotlinked without their expressed permission. So, if you have the image cached on your hard-drive from viewing the site directly it may still show up correctly to you when you view the hotlink but show up incorrectly for others.

So, not really all that strange. ;-)

edit: Also, some sites may take their hatred of hotlinking to the extreme and replace the image with something decidedly obscene which will get you in hot water with the mods. In fact, I'd be surprised if hotlinking wasn't discouraged in the forum rules.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I just started watching this - I'm about 4 episodes in...

...its hard going guys. I see glimmers of hope in the character development - but I'm more interested in overarching storylines that I am episodic dramas. Should I stick it out? I want the answer to be yes.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    YES YES YES. Stick it out, trust me, the overarching story lines are coming. The first half or so of the first season is a lot of establishing stuff in a more episodic manner, but once you get deep enough in, there's some good overarching plot to be had.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah, Farscape, how I missed thee. When I saw it had been added to Netflix for streaming, it only served as a reminder that I needed to own the series on disc. So I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it had been recently re-released, and grabbed it when it was on sale. So much of the visual work still holds up (especially Pilot), which I am very happy to see. I had also forgotten how long it took to introduce Scorpius, but yeah, he is definitely among my all time favorite villains, ever.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    One of the things that I didn't notice for a long time, but really appreciate now, is that Farscape was always episodic to a degree. A lot of serial shows, like Lost or Heroes, eventually have episodes that are just hour long status updates, with nothing really being introduced or resolved. But pretty much every Farscape episode has a proper beginning, middle, and end. Even within the multipart episodes each one has their own individual conflicts and resolutions.

Cantide on
    edited January 2010
    YES YES YES. Stick it out, trust me, the overarching story lines are coming. The first half or so of the first season is a lot of establishing stuff in a more episodic manner, but once you get deep enough in, there's some good overarching plot to be had.

Awesome.
    I'll stick it out then.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    I say that episode 15 is the turning point from some meh episodes to pure awesome.

Echo on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I say that episode 15 is the turning point from some meh episodes to pure awesome.

That's when they all really start to come into their own. Crichton does well in A Bug's Life, Rygel shows more depth in Durka Returns, and later when he returns again.

Saw more development and growth in Rygel and Pilot than when my wife watches Desperate Housewives.

MichaelLC on
    edited January 2010

That does feel like a long time away....

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Fallingman wrote: »

That does feel like a long time away....

If you want to save some time, here are the episodes I recommend before ep 15:

1 - Pilot (duh)
    4 - Throne for a Loss
    5 - PK Tech Girl
    6 - Thank God it's Friday Again
    9 - DNA Mad Scientist
    10-12
    15 and on.

Echo on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

That's when they all really start to come into their own. Crichton does well in A Bug's Life, Rygel shows more depth in Durka Returns, and later when he returns again.

Saw more development and growth in Rygel and Pilot than when my wife watches Desperate Housewives].

Thats because you can see more Growth and Development in when watching fungus grow, then in Desperate Housewives

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Saw more development and growth in Rygel and Pilot than when my wife watches Desperate Housewives.

What do you expect? More plastic and silicone in the Desperate Housewives main characters.

Shadowen on
    edited January 2010

What do you expect? More plastic and silicone in the Desperate Housewives main characters.

:lol:

I'd say the development arc holds true with a lot of shows these days. I was all, "Go, Rygel!" when he purposely
    lost the game of Kcrackic to the pirates.

MichaelLC on
    edited January 2010
    I have to say - I respect the use of puppets.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I have to say - I respect the use of puppets.

I applaud the fact that they used villains from the Dark crystal.

DanHibiki on
    edited January 2010
    The use of puppets and awesome makeup are a much more superior method than the use of slightly less than human foreheads.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png