Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The search for tactical games: Aliens not necessary.

2456712

Posts

  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kings bounty is an absolutely great game. Kings bounty... the "ancient" one was what really got those games going in the first place (along with Warlords II). The "new" variant is greatly improved. Considering the price its well worth its money. A redone classic.

    Besides: a "campain" in AoW:SM is a series of 2-3 secenarios after wich you can choose another series. So it has great replayability value, even just looking at campaigns. I never really cared for campaings to be honest. I always generate scenarios and play either vs AI or friend. There are also a few really nice maps for multiplayer but of course after you know your way around its not the same anymore. The map generator is really godsent. Also it offfers underground terrain and a completely magic "shadow realm" complete with races, not unlike MOM - if you like, its selcetable. So a single map can actually be TREE maps in one.

    From a objective point of view the "new" kings bounty is surely the most optical impressive of the breed and AOW:SM is surely the most in-depth fanasy strategy game.


    army rooster AoW2: http://aow2.heavengames.com/gameinfo/races/
    (and thats for AoW2 only, for SM add Nomads, Syrons and Shadow Demons, totaling in 15 factions)
    army rooster KB: http://www.kings-bounty.com/eng/races.php

  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Litany wrote: »
    I'll echo Jagged Alliance 2. Such a great game. It's up on Steam for your convenience. Hiring Wolf is the best choice you can make.

    Wolf is okay, but Buns is funner because "Every day, in every way, she gets better and better."

    Also, Fox.

    Need something to do, Woody!

    camo_sig2.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Need something to do, Woody!
    My skin is punctured and leaking!

    I like the guy with the car, too.

    elvenshae2_zps569236d5.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The FATE of the Rebellion PBP
    FotR on Obsidian Portal
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would almost say that AoW:SM is damn near perfect. Though it really isn't a straight up tactical strategy game, but it is really, really good. If you can find it.

    As to Silent Storm and the robot suits there is a mod that removes them, along with the other silly things.

    I really liked the expansion for Silent Storm, forget its name, mainly because you get money and use that to buy equipment/personnel and I've always enjoyed that aspect of these types of games.

    OH! Protip for Silent Storm, TURN OFF VOICE ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS! Your ears will bleed if you do not.

  • Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    OH! Protip for Silent Storm, TURN OFF VOICE ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS! Your ears will bleed if you do not.

    Do not listen to this man.

  • Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Woah. Age of Wonders is not what I'm looking for. No guns! No soldiers! All knights and magic and tolkienesque stuff.

    On the other hand, it looks totally sweet. Depth, addictiveness, brain tickling, and customization. I'm such a whore for customization.

    You guys are gonna kill my free time :(
    Spoiler:

  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    OH! Protip for Silent Storm, TURN OFF VOICE ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS! Your ears will bleed if you do not.

    Do not listen to this man.

    Are you kidding? The voices were terrible. Even by Eastern European Dev House standards. Ugh!

  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    guar wrote: »
    I have not played any of these games, so I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but it's been called a tactics game and I love it so <3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tCvvXQPJpk

    I'm with you. I consider games like Myth: TFL, MYth II: Soulblighter, Ground Control and Dawn of War II to be more tactical games than strategy games.

    Plus, Myth: TFL and Myth II still hold up so well. They are just so much fun. Great stories, easter eggs, all kinds of different game play approaches. And the mods, man the mod scene for Myth II is astounding.

  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    OH! Protip for Silent Storm, TURN OFF VOICE ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS! Your ears will bleed if you do not.

    Do not listen to this man.

    Are you kidding? The voices were terrible. Even by Eastern European Dev House standards. Ugh!

    ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!

    Wait...
    Spoiler:

    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User
    edited January 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    OH! Protip for Silent Storm, TURN OFF VOICE ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS! Your ears will bleed if you do not.

    Do not listen to this man.

    Are you kidding? The voices were terrible. Even by Eastern European Dev House standards. Ugh!

    ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!

    Wait...
    Spoiler:

    Hmm. Can you name your soldiers?

  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    OH! Protip for Silent Storm, TURN OFF VOICE ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS! Your ears will bleed if you do not.

    Do not listen to this man.

    Are you kidding? The voices were terrible. Even by Eastern European Dev House standards. Ugh!

    ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!

    Wait...
    Spoiler:

    Hmm. Can you name your soldiers?

    You can name your "main" character, but you have a squad of five other characters you choose that you control completely.

    Read my LP for details on the game, or find some gameplay videos. The best part of the game is the fully-destructible environment and dynamic twist it puts on the tactics.

    Edit: fuck my LP pictures are dead.

    Edit again: there we go.

    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User
    edited January 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    OH! Protip for Silent Storm, TURN OFF VOICE ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS! Your ears will bleed if you do not.

    Do not listen to this man.

    Are you kidding? The voices were terrible. Even by Eastern European Dev House standards. Ugh!

    ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!

    Wait...
    Spoiler:

    Hmm. Can you name your soldiers?

    You can name your "main" character, but you have a squad of five other characters you choose that you control completely.

    Read my LP for details on the game, or find some gameplay videos. The best part of the game is the fully-destructible environment and dynamic twist it puts on the tactics.

    Oh well. My dreams of a make-believe "Inglorious Basterds: The game" are now gone. Still gonna get the game, though.

  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User
    edited January 2010
    It has a massive learning curve, but im really enjoying Rainbow 6 3: Gold. I spend most of my time in the mission planner and just observe/give radio commands while observing.

    tf2_sig.png
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It has a massive learning curve, but im really enjoying Rainbow 6 3: Gold. I spend most of my time in the mission planner and just observe/give radio commands while observing.

    This is acutally a really addicting way to play it. I mean I can solo almost every single mission, but it's much more fun to really plan out a careful sweep of the map and letting the AI do it.

  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    It has a massive learning curve, but im really enjoying Rainbow 6 3: Gold. I spend most of my time in the mission planner and just observe/give radio commands while observing.

    This is acutally a really addicting way to play it. I mean I can solo almost every single mission, but it's much more fun to really plan out a careful sweep of the map and letting the AI do it.

    Yeah, I mentioned doing the same with Rogue Spear earlier in the thread. The only downside to doing it in Rogue Spear was occasionally the AI would get stuck stacking up on a ladder or something similar. Does the AI display any of those problems in R6: 3 on the PC?

  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    It has a massive learning curve, but im really enjoying Rainbow 6 3: Gold. I spend most of my time in the mission planner and just observe/give radio commands while observing.

    This is acutally a really addicting way to play it. I mean I can solo almost every single mission, but it's much more fun to really plan out a careful sweep of the map and letting the AI do it.

    Yeah, I mentioned doing the same with Rogue Spear earlier in the thread. The only downside to doing it in Rogue Spear was occasionally the AI would get stuck stacking up on a ladder or something similar. Does the AI display any of those problems in R6: 3 on the PC?

    as long as you keep your teams spread out they do fine most of the time. Have teams run into each other and it's a total clusterfuck of shoving, dancing from side to side and pushing each other of ladders.

    tf2_sig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    OH! Protip for Silent Storm, TURN OFF VOICE ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS! Your ears will bleed if you do not.

    Do not listen to this man.

    Are you kidding? The voices were terrible. Even by Eastern European Dev House standards. Ugh!

    ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!

    Wait...
    Spoiler:

    Personally I'd recommend listening to your own MP3's whilst you're at it, since I wasn't too keen on the music either.

    Not to put you off, because the gameplay itself is solid, and you can also do stuff like this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_RSRLDCg4&


    That's just a minor example. A well laid trap will often take out a good chunk of a house.

  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Jagged Alliance 2 is the greatest turn based tactical game ever made. So go get that.

    This.

    Skip the 1st one. Its good, but the second 1 is better.
    You don't need any of the expansions.
    Download the 1.13 fan patch
    Hire Shadow


    I own 7 copies of Jagged Alliance 2. I do not regret buying it 7 times. I may goto GOG and buy an 8th. It's that fucking good.
    YESSSSS!

    I should go back and continue my shadow only run of JA2 sometime.

    8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User
    edited January 2010
    VeritasVR wrote: »

    This here. This is pretty fuckin' tasty.


    Also, purchased and started JA2! Fun times. This Bull guy has killed everyone I've met so far. Nice and dandy.

    Thing is, I don't know what the heck I'm supposed to do. I know I have to give a letter to some guy whose name I forget, but I have no idea how to actually do it. Any pointers?

  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Find Fatima in the first zone you started in. Show her the letter and she'll show you where resistance HQ is.

    8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Speaking of the music of Silent Storm, I can scarcely remember it since I usually replaced it with the music from one of the Medal of Honor games. Good stuff.

  • korodullinkorodullin What. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    Also, purchased and started JA2! Fun times. This Bull guy has killed everyone I've met so far. Nice and dandy.

    Thing is, I don't know what the heck I'm supposed to do. I know I have to give a letter to some guy whose name I forget, but I have no idea how to actually do it. Any pointers?

    Also, don't forget to create your own custom AIM mercenary. Try to aim (no pun intended) for Night Ops to be one of your two bonuses. Someone else will have to explain which stats are best to raise, since I actually kinda forgot.

    impale.png
    Steam
    3DS: 1822-0538-1100
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    Also, purchased and started JA2! Fun times. This Bull guy has killed everyone I've met so far. Nice and dandy.

    Thing is, I don't know what the heck I'm supposed to do. I know I have to give a letter to some guy whose name I forget, but I have no idea how to actually do it. Any pointers?

    Also, don't forget to create your own custom AIM mercenary. Try to aim (no pun intended) for Night Ops to be one of your two bonuses. Someone else will have to explain which stats are best to raise, since I actually kinda forgot.

    Night ops and Stealth are my favorites.

    For stats Wisdom is a must, I dont think anyone will argue with that. It helps speed up the rate you learn skills.

    I like to have high agility, dexterity and marksmanship starting out.

    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • korodullinkorodullin What. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah yeah, Wisdom.

    A good skill to lower for points is Explosives, since it can be raised incredibly easy as long as you're willing to save scum a bit for the dangerous early skill levels. In 1.13 I have a tendency to power Explosives up to 90 or so on everyone right at the start. Gets everyone a few free levels and a good 3-4 points of Wisdom off the bat. Cheesy, but useful.

    impale.png
    Steam
    3DS: 1822-0538-1100
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember playing the JA2 demo when it first came out, I loved it but never actually played the game. WTF is with it still being 20 bucks on Steam?

    My brother has been raving about UFO: Afterlight and says I should pick it up. I've never played any X-COM related games before but I know how highly regarded they are. Would Afterlight be a good purchase for $10? And speaking of X-COM, which games are noted as the best ones, and would they pass the test of time for a newcomer?

    steam_sig.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    Also, purchased and started JA2! Fun times. This Bull guy has killed everyone I've met so far. Nice and dandy.

    Thing is, I don't know what the heck I'm supposed to do. I know I have to give a letter to some guy whose name I forget, but I have no idea how to actually do it. Any pointers?

    Also, don't forget to create your own custom AIM mercenary. Try to aim (no pun intended) for Night Ops to be one of your two bonuses. Someone else will have to explain which stats are best to raise, since I actually kinda forgot.

    Night ops and Stealth are my favorites.

    For stats Wisdom is a must, I dont think anyone will argue with that. It helps speed up the rate you learn skills.

    Some people will argue with it, but that's only because it's a big wide Internet and by the law of large numbers, many of the people on it are dumb. Absolutely put in high wisdom.

    For the physical stats, I'd agree that dexterity is good -- it factors into how many action points it takes to fire a given weapon. Agility is also important because more agility = more action points.

    For skill-related points, I'm usually actually pretty weak-sauce at the start of the game. I have enough marksmanship to not look completely incompetent, but my medical, mechanical and explosive stats I start as low as possible without setting them to zero.
    korodullin wrote: »
    Also, the dream MMO I've always wanted to make is basically Jagged Alliance combat with EVE-style resource and territory control. I think it could work.

    Whenever a thread about tactical games/tactical RPGs comes up, I always come to the conclussion that you and I would be best friends IRL, Korodullin. I'm super-excited about The Old Republic because it has a cover system for the ranged classes, which I think will finally give me the sort of positional, tactical ranged combat I've been craving in a MMO. It will probably be the first one I re-subscribe to if it works.

    Then again, I suppose only 10% of the server population will ever roll a character that isn't a Jedi....

  • ZxerolZxerol The fullest, most luscious beard. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Speaking of Silent Storm (and a mention of Hammer and Sickle), there was actually a game based on the Russian vampire movie Night Watch from the same developer. I remember seeing its nondescript box at some retailer and commenting to my friend that the screenshots "looked kinda like Silent Storm." And then we read the description and, surprise, it was the Silent Storm engine.

    I'm actually curious to try it out now.

  • Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Ok, this game is kind of hard.

    I did everything, the AIM dude (and according to what you said, I only did the marksmanship thing right. Damn), recruited two soldiers and two medics, talked to the rebels and their insultingly bad english (ME TARZAN YOU JANE WE BE REBELS), and went to the next town for supplies!

    Except not.

    Forest road with about seven or eight enemies. Decided to branch in two teams, pincer them. Didn't work. Apparently, I have to be close enough to see the pimples on their faces to get a decent shot. Reminds me of X-com, with the difference that my units are not to be discarded by the minute. And I panic and shoot for about fifteen minutes. They are mostly dead, the rest run, and my medics, of all people, have holes all over their bodies. Seriously low on ammo and I don't know if they'll be bringing reinforcements.

    I guess what I'm saying is: Awesome game, but how do I make these chumps shoot better?

  • korodullinkorodullin What. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, that's a kind of a problem with JA2. Your starting weapons are terribad. Luckily most of the early enemies are just as bad. You just have to crouch a lot, always stay stealthed if you can, and get behind any cover you can find (even a tree stump is better cover than no cover) in order to get close to the enemies.

    impale.png
    Steam
    3DS: 1822-0538-1100
  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Don't you get better accuracy if you kneel or go prone? It's been a while so I'm not sure. Elevation may help too, so climbing onto a rooftop (if you can get to one) may be a good idea, too.

    Either way, get behind cover or go prone. Not getting riddled with bullets is also key, along with making that other dude die for his country.

  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, get a nice spot and just take fully aimed shots. Also go for the chest.

    8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User
    edited January 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a kind of a problem with JA2. Your starting weapons are terribad. Luckily most of the early enemies are just as bad. You just have to crouch a lot, always stay stealthed if you can, and get behind any cover you can find (even a tree stump is better cover than no cover) in order to get close to the enemies.

    Hm. Battles are going to be long and tense (and kinda boring) with all the slow, stealthy crawling. But! It seems like a great game, so it's worth a shot.

    Also! Can I heal units on the fly? I've tried to make the medics use the medpacks on themselves, but all they can say about it is "Huh?"

  • korodullinkorodullin What. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a kind of a problem with JA2. Your starting weapons are terribad. Luckily most of the early enemies are just as bad. You just have to crouch a lot, always stay stealthed if you can, and get behind any cover you can find (even a tree stump is better cover than no cover) in order to get close to the enemies.

    Hm. Battles are going to be long and tense (and kinda boring) with all the slow, stealthy crawling. But! It seems like a great game, so it's worth a shot.

    Also! Can I heal units on the fly? I've tried to make the medics use the medpacks on themselves, but all they can say about it is "Huh?"

    Medkits are used on the map screen for healing units after battles in compressed time. They're also used to bandage folks up on the tactical screen after a battle, I believe.

    I need to play JA2 again. Haven't played in six month or so, so I kind of forgot a lot of stuff that became second nature to me.

    impale.png
    Steam
    3DS: 1822-0538-1100
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You can bandage people with medkits, which stops the bleeding, you can't heal hitpoints during combat. For that you either need the mercs to rest, or the much faster/better option of setting a medic with a medpack to doctor and the other merc(s) to patient and it will heal them up.

    You can do all that on the map screen.

    You can also send them to the hospital once you take that back. And send them there by helicopter, once you take the airport and find a pilot.


    Fuck, I really want to play some JA2 now. I have the urge to set up elaborate raids with c4 and teargas grenade launchers and Scope and Lynx on rooftops and magic unlocking shit.

    8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User
    edited January 2010
    You can also send them to the hospital once you take that back. And send them there by helicopter, once you take the airport and find a pilot.

    Holy fuck, the plot is going to seriously thicken. I love when a game is so much more than meets the eye.

    And all thanks to the PA folks <3

  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is killing me. I really don't need to start a JA 2 playthrough right now, with Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Dawn of War II, Red Alert 3, The Crysis Pack, L4D and The Witcher sitting on my drive from the Steam Holiday sale.

    I don't even need to install. It's already sitting there. There's the icon. Hell, I can even see my manual from where I'm sitting. Fuck.

  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    You can also send them to the hospital once you take that back. And send them there by helicopter, once you take the airport and find a pilot.

    Holy fuck, the plot is going to seriously thicken. I love when a game is so much more than meets the eye.

    And all thanks to the PA folks <3

    Oh man, you have no idea. JA2 is packed to the brim with stuff. I don't want to give away too much, but as an example of the crazy shit you can do in the game:

    You can go online with your laptop in-game and order stuff from an online florist. I sent a flower arrangement to the evil queen you're sent to take down that consisted of a "sorry for your loss" memorial thing mourning her own death on the note, I think it was black roses. It showed a scene in her palace when she received them. She was not amused.

    It has a macguver inspired crafting system where you can cobble together stuff with household items, like some copper wire, chewing gum, a jar, a rubber band and some other items and make stuff like an Xray scope or something.

    JA2 is incredible.

    8t2qhu8l050f.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    You can also send them to the hospital once you take that back. And send them there by helicopter, once you take the airport and find a pilot.

    Holy fuck, the plot is going to seriously thicken. I love when a game is so much more than meets the eye.

    And all thanks to the PA folks <3

    Oh man, you have no idea. JA2 is packed to the brim with stuff. I don't want to give away too much, but as an example of the crazy shit you can do in the game:

    You can go online with your laptop in-game and order stuff from an online florist. I sent a flower arrangement to the evil queen you're sent to take down that consisted of a "sorry for your loss" memorial thing mourning her own death on the note, I think it was black roses. It showed a scene in her palace when she received them. She was not amused.

    It has a macguver inspired crafting system where you can cobble together stuff with household items, like some copper wire, chewing gum, a jar, a rubber band and some other items and make stuff like an Xray scope or something.

    JA2 is incredible.

    And then there's the absolutely massive amount of stuff that the 1.13 fanpatch adds. Good lord.

    impale.png
    Steam
    3DS: 1822-0538-1100
  • MagitekMagitek Registered User
    edited January 2010
    That reminds me, Shadow watch is a pretty good xcom style tbs.
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/shadowwatch/index.html
    Spoiler:
    Each character has special abilities, and a simple talent tree.
    Quite ahead of its time I believe. I played it a few months ago and it still looks and plays great.
    Surprisingly it came from Tom Clancy.

    Might be a bit hard to find though..

  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Magitek wrote: »
    That reminds me, Shadow watch is a pretty good xcom style tbs.
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/shadowwatch/index.html

    Each character has special abilities, and simple talent tree.
    Quite ahead of its time I believe. I played it a few months ago and it still looks and plays great.
    Surprisingly it came from Tom Clancy.

    Might be a bit hard to find though..

    I enjoyed it. It's very good at what it does. I think it got knocked unfairly because of a clunky interface, but it's not all that bad. It's got a lot of character and a charm of its own.

    And you can grab it new from Amazon sellers for less that ten bucks with shipping. It's worth it at that price, if you really like the genre.

Sign In or Register to comment.