As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Archer: BACK!!!!

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
You've probably seen the trailer like a million times, but here it is again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoA22I-ApFE

Premiers tonight, with back to back episodes, so there's something to watch even if you did watch the 'sneak peek'. Hooray! I'm glad to see Not Adult Swim/Fox getting in on the animation game, even though this is totally in the Adult Swim style (the good one).

FX has been kicking some serious comedy ass, lately.

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is somehow related to Frisky Dingo, correct? Is it related by story, too?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm super excited... I'm sure I'll fall asleep before it comes on... stupid lack of sleep...

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I loved the sneak peek however many months ago that was, definitely tuning in tonight.

thanks for the thread elki

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Who's the voice?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    EmigerEmiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    H. Jon Benjamin as Sterling Archer (Coach McGuirk on Home Movies, The Master from Venture Bros.)

It's made by Adam Reed who was one half of the 7030 team that did Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with Frisky Dingo storywise. Very similar comedy though.

Emiger on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010

Frisky Dingo and Sealab 2010. Same creator, but I don't think there are any plot connections.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The particular series of Tubes known as "You" Tubes do not make it into my workplace. Can someone load this onto a dumptruck for me or otherwise give me the gist of it? This guy is a master of the longbow or something?

Yar on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Elki wrote: »

Frisky Dingo and Sealab 2010. Same creator, but I don't think there are any plot connections.

I would love to see some referencing to Frisky Dingo in the show. Maybe just having a cameo by Bilbo T. Baggins.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember seeing that trailer and thinking "I might watch that."

I don't think that after seeing the trailer for "medical drama no. 17B," so they're making progress in my tiny, irrelevant demographic.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Emiger wrote: »
    H. Jon Benjamin as Sterling Archer (Coach McGuirk on Home Movies, The Master from Venture Bros.)

It's made by Adam Reed who was one half of the 7030 team that did Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with Frisky Dingo storywise. Very similar comedy though.

DAHHH Beat'd

So does this have that smidgen more of animation because it's not on Adult Swim? I'm just imagining that no other network would be caught dead airing the sort of shit they pull at [AS].

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yar wrote: »
    The particular series of Tubes known as "You" Tubes do not make it into my workplace. Can someone load this onto a dumptruck for me or otherwise give me the gist of it? This guy is a master of the longbow or something?

It's romance sci-fi horror series by Joss Whedon featuring Jason Mewes and Miley Cyrus. Oh and Jason Mewes has a bow that shoots dildos.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    It's romance sci-fi horror series by Joss Whedon featuring Jason Mewes and Miley Cyrus. Oh and Jason Mewes has a bow that shoots dildos.
    That tired old trope? I should have guessed.

Yar on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yar wrote: »

It's about a secret agent who hits on fat women with a gun in his underwear.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A show with H. Jon Benjamin as the star.

Colour me interested.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll generally check out any show with previews that crack me up. Bonus points for helping keep quality animation alive.

MKR on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really hope this is big. If the pilot and Frisky Dingo are anyway to judge the quality of this show it should be damn good.

I'm almost surprised its not airing on Stir-Friday... but that would be its death sentence.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    I'll generally check out any show with previews that crack me up. Bonus points for helping keep quality animation alive.

I dunno it kinda looks like a really sophisticated and drawn version of South Park.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, the animation isn't fantastic but the scripts and acting should be.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

I dunno it kinda looks like a really sophisticated and drawn version of South Park.

When I say "animation," I mean the work as a whole. As long as it's good, I don't care if they made it in flash.

MKR on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    I got this shit set on my DVR, I loved Frisky Dingo. I was thinking about making a thread for this...it would have been way more awesome than this one.

Also, it's only one of the creators of Frisky Dingo/Sealab 2021, Adam Reed. There was some kind of split Adam Reed and Matt Thompson prior to making The Xtacles, with Reed leaving 70/30 Productions. After that show wasn't picked up by Adult Swim, 70/30 was shut down and the bulk of the team joined Adam Reed on Archer. Reed was the one responsible for "70% of the writing and 30% of the production"...and it really shows in the difference between Archer and The Xtacles.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A show with H. Jon Benjamin as the star.

Colour me interested.
    Exactly. H. Jon Benjamin is a pretty funny dude.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    hmmm, maybe they're working together again. not sure.

http://www.babarshouse.com/ArcherChat_1_12_10_.htm

whoops, they are.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I got this shit set on my DVR, I loved Frisky Dingo. I was thinking about making a thread for this...it would have been way more awesome than this one.

Probably.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Elki's threads always draw zombies.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    great now i can't watch this without seeing/hearing "drunk soccer coach" instead of "secret agent"

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You could always think of Dr. Orpheus's boss instead. Fuck, it might even be more entertaining that way. Some omnipotent master shape shifter running around as a secret agent.

---

I'm in the same boat as Dyna. Adored Frisky Dingo and Sealab, looking forward to this.

Quid on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Frisky Dingo was great and Jon Benjamin is awesome in everything. I'm in.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I know this series isn't connected to Frisky Dingo, but I would love to see Mr. Ford make an appearance in this series.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    I know this series isn't connected to Frisky Dingo, but I would love to see Mr. Ford make an appearance in this series.
    ha, they talked about that in the chat log that I posted.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'd mostly love for Adam Reed to do some voice work in the series- his voices for Xander and Killface are part of what made that show so hilarious.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "We're making Awesome-X dolls and they're gonna kick so much ass, you'll probably go blind."

Love the line. :)

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I'd mostly love for Adam Reed to do some voice work in the series- his voices for Xander and Killface are part of what made that show so hilarious.

Yeah, I was just a little disappointed that wasn't the voice. Benjamin's great too though, so no major loss.

Also, Sterling's mom is a dead ringer for Killface's campaign manager.

Quid on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nappuccino wrote: »

In that chat he says,
    AdamReedFCP: I am voicing a character; he's an openly-gay ISIS agent named Ray Gillette.

edit: Hah, and Thompson links to this. I love Benjamin's standup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSfV_NHxCN0

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's a pretty great spot for him actually.

Quid on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think I like it.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bwahahaha!

No, Cyril! When they're dead, they're just hookers!

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The rug died so young. :(

MKR on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This is great.

Elki on