As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Router daisychain issue

Peter BeckPeter Beck Registered User regular
So I just dropped a few bucks for a DLink DIR-615 Wireless N so me and my roommate could get some proper use out of our iPods and cut down on ethernet cords in use, setup went well, but since my roommate's PC is in the other side of apt we had a setup of Modem>Router>Router>PC with ethernet cord running through a pre-drilled hole between the walls. When I connected the old router to the new one my roommate's pc is now not getting internet access.

Local Area Connection says "connected, firewalled" and the ip address indicates it's connected to the wired router.

Checked the UI for the DIR-615, it shows it's connected to the DI-604 in the list of connected devices.

Thought it might require the software install on his pc as well, but it fails around when it tries to detect the DIR-615.

Any suggestions?

Peter Beck on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Is the second router plugged into first via it's "Internet" port?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Is the second router plugged into first via it's "Internet" port?
    If you are then you are behind double NAT, which leads to all kinds minor trouble, but shouldn't keep you off the internet. If both routers use the same DHCP range that might be why internet doesn't work.

The best solution would be to turn off DHCP in the second router (the one not connected to the modem) and connect router 1 in one of the switch ports, and not the internet uplink port.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, that's why I was asking.

Software install shouldn't be needed in either case, though.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Peter BeckPeter Beck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Modem goes to the DIR-615's WAN, then Ethernet 1 goes to the DI-604's WAN and it's Ethernet 1 goes to his pc.

Seems we found the issue after some digging, which ends up silly, both routers have the same default ips causing a conflict, didn't occur to me at the time that both being DLinks would cause an issue.

we've gotten it working now by tossing the DI-604 and replacing it with a Linksys which was originally in the place of the DIR-615, so it's presenting a different IP. Yeah, I know, we could just change the DI-604's ip via the UI, but we're going to replace the second router with a longer ethernet cbl at a later time anyway, so may as well take the easy route.

Fun stuff playing around with having a solid wifi signal around the place, at least until you find that the DS doesn't support WPA security. Not that I'd make use of it for anything other than sending dicks through pictochat if I switched to WPE...

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the advise, everyone!

Peter Beck on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Both routers having the same default IP is quite common and is not because both were DLink.
    It's (almost) always 192.168.0.1 Or 192.168.1.1.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif