As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Asperger's Kids' Club [Trading Card Games]

Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchscritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Social Entropy++
You know like for instance

POKEMON!
Pokemon_Battle_by_mbcoolness.jpg

Everyone likes Pokemon! Except for soulless sons of bitches that don't.

If you want to head down the bottomless pit of madness that is competitive Pokemon, then here are some links to get you started. If you're willing to sacrifice playing against people that aren't assholes in exchange for not sinking hours upon hours into breeding and training, then try out Shoddy Battle.

But that's not the only game we can talk about! There is also

Yu-Gi-Oh!
Joey_Team_Yugioh_by_Jilbao85.jpg

Unlike Pokemon, Yugioh is a much more mature and complex game, whic--

OjamaGreenDP2-EN-C.jpg

YVD Is a program that'll let you play online. If you don't know the rules, here's the rulebook. This is a good site for looking up cards and official rulings. Unless you're a little bitch, you play Advanced Format, which means that you play with the ban list enforced, which can be found here, as well as when you first open up YVD.

Feel free to also talk about any other hobby that's symptomatic of Asperger's Syndrome.

Speed Racer on

• Phil316Phil316 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ojama green looks like slimers gay cousin

Phil316 on
    americanfootballsigdi0.jpg
    tf2_sig.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No one plays Yu-Gi-Oh

Bloods End on
  • IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    More like You Gay Oh

Seriously though Yu-Gi-Oh is terrible

Pokemon kicks all sorts of ass, and is the main reason why I am sad I don't have a Gameboy

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I never really liked any of those games

I guess I'm just older than you in manchild years

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yu-Gi-Oh is a terribly unbalanced card game. I've played a ton of card games at a competitive level, Magic, Pokemon, Duel Masters, and Yu-Gi-Oh, just to name the ones I've put most of my effort/cash into, and Yu-Gi-Oh was by far the least balanced.

Duel Masters is a great game, no lie. Easily my favorite card game. I made it all the way to Nationals one year, too. I wish Wizards of the Coast wouldn't have discontinued it.

jgeis on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pod racing. Why do I still like pod racing?

Oh yeah, because of this.

racer_790screen003.jpg

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited January 2010
    Pod Racer was the best racing sim ever.

jgeis on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jgeis wrote: »

absolutely

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    thorgot wrote: »

absolutely

fuck yeah

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yu-Gi-Oh is a terribly unbalanced card game. I've played a ton of card games at a competitive level, Magic, Pokemon, Duel Masters, and Yu-Gi-Oh, just to name the ones I've put most of my effort/cash into, and Yu-Gi-Oh was by far the least balanced.

Duel Masters is a great game, no lie. Easily my favorite card game. I made it all the way to Nationals one year, too. I wish Wizards of the Coast wouldn't have discontinued it.

Explain how it is unbalanced.

Speed Racer on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't help but imagine how incredible a new Pod Racing game could be. Oh man. It would be beautiful.

I never did play the one for PS2. I think I'm going to have to hit up Amazon right now.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't help but imagine how incredible a new Pod Racing game could be. Oh man. It would be beautiful.

I never did play the one for PS2. I think I'm going to have to hit up Amazon right now.

I played it a year or two ago and it was missing a certain something. It's a little short, but it's serviceable.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ebe endicott 4 life

Food on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Was Pod Racer the one where the fastest pod was the one with 4 engines belonging to a joke character in the Phantom Menace?

Nerdgasmic on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

It's the foil stamps. Makes the cards heavier on one end.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm wasn't there a new yugioh game out for the psp? Anybody played it? Worth a purchase?

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

because the vast majority of cards are designed around going YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP THAT KILLS EVERYTHING YOU HAVE AND MAKES ME WIN

oh yeah, infinite combos

PiptheFair on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Marth wrote: »
    thorgot wrote: »

absolutely

fuck yeah

never had it but my cousin did

n64 version is superior version

VALVEjunkie on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    there are people over the age of 13 who play yugioh?

jesus christ

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Speed, you still play Pokemon, right?

We should battle later.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Games A Responsible Adult Should Have Made Sure We Never Started Playing When We Were 8

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    edited January 2010

Never have I seen a game where one type of deck can single-handedly control the competitive environment. From Yata-Lock to DAD to Gladiators to even earlier stuff like Jinzo-lock, there's always a deck which controls the metagame and is the "best deck". Sure, there are other decks which can be competitive, I had a lot of success with a Plant deck, but usually there is one deck to beat. In most other games there are a multitude of decks which have nearly equal power. Not saying that there haven't been unbalanced environments in games like Magic and Duel Masters (Affinity and Bombazar decks, respectively, for example), but on the whole they are naturally more balanced. Yu-Gi-Oh fixes a lot of it's problems with card banning, something other games have avoided in their standard play environments.

jgeis on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

because the vast majority of cards are designed around going YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP THAT KILLS EVERYTHING YOU HAVE AND MAKES ME WIN

oh yeah, infinite combos
    That's not really true.

And infinite combos are either

A. Impractically difficult to set up
    B. Banned shortly after they're discovered.

Speed Racer on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    Hmm wasn't there a new yugioh game out for the psp? Anybody played it? Worth a purchase?

YGO Tag Force 4, right? The first one of the series based on the current 5D's storyline. I'd like to know myself how it's like, seeing as I haven't played any of the TF games. A reminder BTW that the next World Championship game for the DS comes out in February.

Owenashi on
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

jesus christ

there are always people over the age of ____ who _____

usually because they don't like ____ for the same reasons you did when you were 13

(sometimes it turns out ____ is actually a good game when you get past all the surface shit, but i dunno if that's the case here)

redhead on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    POGS

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

edited January 2010
    redhead wrote: »

jesus christ

there are always people over the age of ____ who _____

usually because they don't like ____ for the same reasons you did when you were 13

(sometimes it turns out ____ is actually a good game when you get past all the surface shit, but i dunno if that's the case here)

with yugioh it is not

m:tg is a pretty solid game, but god going to a tournament is an abuse on all the senses

PiptheFair on
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Never have I seen a game where one type of deck can single-handedly control the competitive environment. From Yata-Lock to DAD to Gladiators to even earlier stuff like Jinzo-lock, there's always a deck which controls the metagame and is the "best deck". Sure, there are other decks which can be competitive, I had a lot of success with a Plant deck, but usually there is one deck to beat. In most other games there are a multitude of decks which have nearly equal power. Not saying that there haven't been unbalanced environments in games like Magic and Duel Masters (Affinity and Bombazar decks, respectively, for example), but on the whole they are naturally more balanced. Yu-Gi-Oh fixes a lot of it's problems with card banning, something other games have avoided in their standard play environments.

Oh, so it's completely fine then, considering how other TCG's do the same thing?

Dee Kae on
    edited January 2010
    I hear M:tG is a good game again now
    An old friend came over the other day and borrowed a load of my stuff from like 10 years ago and is using it to win PTQs or whatever

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had so many pogs.

I have no idea how you even played it. I remember a flipper. I think you just .. hit pogs with the flipper and if they landed upside down you got to keep them? Is that right?

Also: CROSSFIRE! You'll get caught up in the ... CROSSFIRE!

VanityPants on
    Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    edited January 2010

Since I haven't played in the last three years I can't talk about the metagame, so I'll have to take your word on that.

Also, I dunno about other card games, but Magic only doesn't have to maintain a banlist because every few months they ban everything. In Legacy play or whatever they call it where all sets are legal, they have a very extensive banlist.

Speed Racer on
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had so many pogs.

I have no idea how you even played it. I remember a flipper. I think you just .. hit pogs with the flipper and if they landed upside down you got to keep them? Is that right?

Also: CROSSFIRE! You'll get caught up in the ... CROSSFIRE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kiss-chasey in the school playground.

That shit is fine when your age is in the single digits, but if you're still there 15 years later trying to catch and kiss the girls, you got problems son.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited January 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    An old friend came over the other day and borrowed a load of my stuff from like 10 years ago and is using it to win PTQs or whatever

ever since time spiral and 10th, magic has been getting constantly better and more awesome

also they tend to do a pretty good job at balance, although faeries did dominate for a little while

PiptheFair on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ugh, the gay agenda.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    yu gi oh is really fun when you don't play with dumb faggots

sorry you all hate fun

it's actually pretty balanced. there is ALWAYS a way to disrupt a combo. there are hardly any instant wins, and what little there are, you have to build an entire deck around and even then it is pretty easy to disrupt

the game is nothing at all like the show

Kusuguttai on
    edited January 2010

Since I haven't played in the last three years I can't talk about the metagame, so I'll have to take your word on that.

Also, I dunno about other card games, but Magic only doesn't have to maintain a banlist because every few months they ban everything. In Legacy play or whatever they call it where all sets are legal, they have a very extensive banlist.

type 2 has has the 4 most recent sets at any given time(generally) they have actually been changing up the way sets work recently

and banlists most definitely exist for type 2

PiptheFair on
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    edited January 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Lord Dave wrote: »

ever since time spiral and 10th, magic has been getting constantly better and more awesome

also they tend to do a pretty good job at balance, although faeries did dominate for a little while

I bought a pack of Time Spiral after having been out of the game for almost a decade, got a foil Whatever Lotus, said "fuck yeah", and quit again.
    But I get the itch all the time.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i played yugioh in grade school and watched the show religiously

no one really understood how the pokemon tcg worked

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg