As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game-On] WARMACHINE and HORDES Mk II - First VASSAL tournament soon fellow STALKERs!

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow, that is rough on Hordes...no Fury next turn, save for cutting one's self...

Neurotika on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Pretty cool little solo. Cannot wait to fight against it.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm really liking the art on the Warwitch Siren's card, which said card also tells me is by Dave Rapoza. Does anyone know offhand if he's done anything for PP before, and if so, what?

Nechriah on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dave Rapoza does a lot of work for Dragon Magazine, but nothing he's done has shown up in a Privateer Press book before, as far as I can tell with a quick google. Odds are good that his art will show up in the Forces books if he did that piece, though.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If that's the case, I will like the new art very much.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    After learning of the recently-released MkII, I may be getting a Cygnar army. I've looked at the models via the Warstore, and the following tickle my fancy:

Units: Storm Blades, -Storm Guard, Storm Lances
    Solos: Stormsmiths, Major Laddermore
    Warjacks: Stormclad, Centurioin, Sentinel, Lancer

Stormy. Since I have little idea what any of these things do (let alone if they synergize well) could I get a quick primer on them?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ianator wrote: »
    After learning of the recently-released MkII, I may be getting a Cygnar army. I've looked at the models via the Warstore, and the following tickle my fancy:

Units: Storm Blades, -Storm Guard, Storm Lances
    Solos: Stormsmiths, Major Laddermore
    Warjacks: Stormclad, Centurioin, Sentinel, Lancer

Stormy. Since I have little idea what any of these things do (let alone if they synergize well) could I get a quick primer on them?

Looks like you'll be liking the Stormblade related tiers!

The units you listed are pretty cool. The Stormblades have a strong melee attack and a good ranged attack (With a little help from casters to get better range), the Lances are very efficient troop lawnmowers and are very fast, and Stormguard are an infantry unit with polearms that zap models standing next to whatever they hit.

Stormsmiths zap things from afar, and disrupt warjacks, which is really useful! Major Laddermore adds onto the abilities of the Storm Lances and is a pretty cool dragoon solo on her own

The Stormclad is a really solid warjack, even without its synergy with Stormblades (Which give it a free focus if they're nearby). The Centurion is your go-to defensive heavy with a cool ability to prevent models from charging it. The two lights are must-haves with the Sentinel being a body guard and the Lancer extending the range of your spells exponentially.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You can't mention stormy stuff without bringing up the Thunderhead!

thunderhead.png

Guy tears up infantry like nothing else, and with the support of +STR/damage buffs, he can tear into 'jacks fairly effectively as well.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll oblige. You need some ranged support on top of that. Most bang for your buck: Black 13th Strike Force. Later on, you should invest in a unit of Gun Mages plus the unit attachment. They ignore stealth with the UA, and can marshal a jack to allow it to make use of their special shot options.

Besides that?

Storm Blades: Small unit. Cheap ish. Hard hitting as hell. Don't make them your first-strike force. Make them a second wave unit.

Stormguard: 2" melee reach. +2 def if charged or slammed. Less hard hitting, more of them. They don't block LOS to your army. You can have lightning bounce to the nearest model besides your own after hitting someone.

Storm Lances: They're all right. Fast. Hard hitting on the charge. They cause electro leaps too but there's the issue of the shots just bouncing to another guy in your unit if they're closer to that target. Kinda expensive though.

Solos: Stormsmiths? Very useful. Go with them. Laddermore? Forget it. She doesn't do anything a single Storm Lance can't do. 5 points for that? Meeehh. She was better in Mk I. Get the Journeyman Warcaster instead. He gives you Arcane Shield. :)

Stormclad: Best jack we have for melee, though very pricey.
    Centurion: Nice but awfully slow. Stick with Ironclads if you want beatstickery on the cheap.
    Sentinel: Useful only for Shield Guard. STrafe is surprisingly hard to make good use of most of the time.
    Lancer: Yes. Oh god yes.

Consider Chargers too. 3 focus gives them 2 atk/dmg roll-boosted pow 12 attacks. Best given to Journeymen and certain warcasters with plenty of focus to spare.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the quick responses, D00Ds. Yeah, I definitely didn't pick a lot in the way of shooting; somehow the look of thick armor and big shields appeal to me. So it's looking like S.Blades, S.Guard, 13th, Gun Mages, Smith(s), Stormclad, Charger, Lancer and Ironclad. Now, which Warcaster will bring it all together? Stryker?

(Actually, I haven't even looked at the rules yet, so I should probably do that first, then get a few games in via Vassal.)

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ianator wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick responses, D00Ds. Yeah, I definitely didn't pick a lot in the way of shooting; somehow the look of thick armor and big shields appeal to me. So it's looking like S.Blades, S.Guard, 13th, Gun Mages, Smith(s), Stormclad, Charger, Lancer and Ironclad. Now, which Warcaster will bring it all together? Stryker?

Yeeeeees. Join the dark side, Ianator.

admanb on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait, he's planning on doing a Stormy-list...

...and Nemo isn't first consideration? D:

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Wait, he's planning on doing a Stormy-list...

...and Nemo isn't first consideration? D:

Well, there are two types of Stormy lists: Stormknights and Storm Mad Science. 'blades/'guard/'lances/'clad fit in the Stormknights category with Stryker, whereas Thunderhead/Stormsmiths/new tower thingy are in the Mad Science category with eNemo. There's overlap, but the list he described is more knight-y.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Knight-y is definitely what I like. Also, anyone know where I can pick up some quick-start rules?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    pStryker has three of Cygnar's best buff spells. He blows otherwise.
    eStryker is an awesome guy who beats face in and makes his army hit harder and stuff.

pNemo is a generalist caster with chain lightning(!) and such.
    eNemo is more jack oriented, sucks against infantry heavy lists.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, my stuff is ordered. 2 battle boxes incoming and plenty of paints!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I will not have shit-talking about the delicious vanilla that is Stryker1! I may have to give you a good old fashioned country ass whooping on Vassal with Stryker. :P

pStyker is simple and effective. I highly recommend him, but if you want a Rolling Thunder list like that, take Stryker. He supports melee troops better in his epic form, and he has access to the faggotry that is Rebuke.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    New tradition: it's not a PA Warmachine & Hordes thread until we have the discussion about whether non-epic Stryker does or does not suck.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nechriah wrote: »
    New tradition: it's not a PA Warmachine & Hordes thread until we have the discussion about whether non-epic Stryker does or does not suck.

I reject this tradition on the grounds that there is no dispute.

For example:

Commander Coleman Stryker
    -Charger
    -Lancer
    -Lancer
    -Defender
    -Squire
    Black 13th Strike Force
    Precursor Knights x10
    -Officer and Standard Bearer
    Storm Lances x3
    Captain Arlan Strangewayes
    Journeyman Warcaster
    Stormsmith Stormcaller x3
    This is a thing of beauty. So much control, durability and hitting power! This list dominates whatever field it touches.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Two lancers? WHY?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Multiple dimensions of attack. This list is going to be abusing Earthquake, and don't give me shit about Earthquake not being good, because it is and you know it.

Also, a second Lancer gives you a throwaway to fry a heavy's cortex with the shield (Or, alternately, not a throwaway on feat turn).

Admit it. The list is solid as a fucking rock and you love it. <3

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Two safe vectors of attack on Earthquake, one of which can be sacrificed to blow out a 'jack's cortex?

(edit: goddamn I'm good)

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Two safe vectors of attack on Earthquake, one of which can be sacrificed to blow out a 'jack's cortex?

(edit: goddamn I'm good)

Kiss me, adman :winky:

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I want to see how it plays.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Feel free to give it a whirl and let the thread know.

In fact, I propose an extensive PA test of Stryker to prove this argument one way or the other. We can record our games and do battle reports, even test against each other with strong matchups.

Who is in?

General Nemo on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would love to try!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ArananAranan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would love to watch. I just have to figure out how to get vassal working. :)

Aranan on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Let one of us know when you're on sometime and we'll help you get set up.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    But you have to promise you'll be wearing pants.

*shudders* such awful memories.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Will see if I can get a game in with you guys tomorrow. Yay Internet!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dude, at any given time there is like a 99% chance my pants are not on.

And yay, Ianator! We will do the throwing down!

General Nemo on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd just like to pipe up (and blue dot the thread) that I hate Hunters. How come none of you have mentioned them yet? Nasty, nasty customers with Snipe and whatnot.

Although my opinion might be swayed by the fact that I play dorfs.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Man I play Khador. We laugh at armor piercing below 8.

But shit yeah Hunters are mean mo'fuckers.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    For some reason Cygnar players have an irrational dislike of them. Maybe because they're six points for AP Pow-6 that dies relatively easily and folds in melee?

I see people taking Defenders half the time. Really, it's dice -4 compared to dice -5 against Khador armor. Against shield-toting heavies the Defender is actually more effective now that PEMDAS applies to shield bonuses. Both are about equal against MOW Shocktroopers at Dice -6.

I may have to start marshalling two of them with Gun Mages, however. And see how that fares.

EDIT: Oooh. I like this list.

Army: Anti Khador lulz
    Type: Skirmish (1 caster, 35pts)
    Commander Adept Nemo (*6pts)
    * Lancer (6pts)
    * Ironclad (7pts)
    Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
    * Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
    * * Hunter (6pts)
    * * Hunter (6pts)
    Precursor Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so, thats one thing on vassal I haven't quite got the hang of what does dice -6 or what ever mean, isn't it easeir to say you need X to hit or X to wound ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Draeven wrote: »
    so, thats one thing on vassal I haven't quite got the hang of what does dice -6 or what ever mean, isn't it easeir to say you need X to hit or X to wound ?

Generally it's for damage. It's a shorthand way of saying "After we calculate your Power+Strength+Damage Roll against my armor(and whatever other bonuses I've got) I'll take damage equal to your roll, minus 6".

see317 on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dunno, it Mk1, I *hated* my friend's hunter/journeyman warcaster combo. That stupid thing was sitting in cover, arcane shielded, and sniping, every goddamn round. One shot blew off my Driller's arm. I did manage to get to him with Gorten, however, and show it just how you swing a hammer.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's why I want to Marshal two Hunters with Gun Mages. Against Jacks, RAT 7 is all you need. Considering that I can Snipe for 18" of ranged dickery, I can save the Marshal boost for the damage roll beacuse I'll probably be aiming half the time. :)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Man, fuck Hunters. All makin' my MoW cry

General Nemo on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What to buy..... I really want the RoS book and the Mk II book.
    My lack of army commitment self control is so bad, 1 vassal game under my belt and I own way too much stuff.

I have: 3 hordes books, prime remix book, magnus khador LoE Skorne battle boxes, 4 boxes of units (venerators, prae., Idrian Skirmishers(w/ua), Cygnar Trenchers ) tons of Warcasters/locks (E. Magnus, Vlad alt pose, Thagrosh, saeryn, Rhyas, Makeda, Hexeris, Xerxis, E. Morghoul, Goreshade) Some warjacks/beasts/solos(Renegade, Mule, Orin Midwinter, Cannoneer, Bronzeback, Extoller Soulward x2, Totem Hunter, Ferox x1, Agonizer)

What I don't have: Self control, many models assembled, anything painted.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png