As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: contains unmarked spoilers

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not quite finished with the Witcher, but everybody here who has played it has said it's better than Deus Ex in terms of hiding the consequences of your actions until the endgame. I haven't noticed anything yet. It seems like it wouldn't be that hard to make a dozen endings for a game and just have the choices you make along the way funnel you towards one ending in particular. It would require a tight design and plotting but that's what we pay those guys for, right? Instead games with multiple endings seem to either anger you by withholding the best ending thanks to actions you undertook in the first 5 minutes of gameplay or provide all the ending options at... the end.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Regarding the Witcher, it doesn't really hide them until the endgame, but it does not implement the consequences of your choices until w1ell after you've made them. Kind of a nice sidestep away from the "try this option->cool, okay now reload save->try another option" weakness that many RPGs have.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is Smuggler's Jackhammer that one shotgun he tries to sell to you (when you return to Hell's Kitchen from Hong Kong)?

Cause at the time I had so few credits by then (I was short by 1000, even after I raided all the ATMs in the area).

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    shifter sounds retarded

Finding an aug in a vending machine sounds goofy, but on the whole it's an improvement in about every single way.

august on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Regarding the Witcher, it doesn't really hide them until the endgame, but it does not implement the consequences of your choices until w1ell after you've made them. Kind of a nice sidestep away from the "try this option->cool, okay now reload save->try another option" weakness that many RPGs have.

Crap like that is one of the main reason I stopped playing Dragon Age. Instead of making the relationship elements interesting and requiring you to figure things out based on how a given character interacts with you, they just slapped a meter on and ruined the whole process. Does this item make them happy? No. Reload. How about this one? Nope. Reload. Repeat until they're super happy friendly. Pick the wrong conversation choices? Reload. The "choice" mechanic is horribly transparent and immersion-breaking.

But the story choices in Deus Ex never really mattered to me that much anyway. You can make subtle changes, but the overall story is the same every time; whether or not you save Paul, you get to the end the same way. The choices which involve the gameplay and matter a lot more to me anyway; instead of choices which will end up mysteriously screwing you over 10 hours from now at the end, you get choices which cater to how you want to have fun. I can't even think of a recent game which the developers created multiple paths to an objective so much so that you can play the game two or three times and not even realize a particular option is there. Hell, it was only on my last playthrough of Deus Ex that I realized there was a secret floor panel in the computer room at UNATCO.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The story choices in DX are far, far less consequential than its gameplay choices. Not to say I don't appreciate them - it is cool that some of the things you do have effects later on - but DX's real strengths lie elsewhere.

No matter what you do, you're going from A to B to C. But inside A, B, etc. is where you have options, and typically a lot of options. Realistically there might only be two or three actual points of entry to a building, but within those are quite a few significant variances outside the usual 'go in shooting/go in quietly' deal.

I submit that any game that lets me destroy locked doors and containers with weapons and explosives is Doing It Right.*

*Do note this does not preclude the game from sucking from other factors, merely that it's got a leg up from the get-go.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why would you reload so often if you don't find it fun?

I never bothered reloading my choices with people.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hell, it was only on my last playthrough of Deus Ex that I realized there was a secret floor panel in the computer room at UNATCO.

Sonovabitch!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    is that in the Alex room?

Fuga on
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Axen wrote: »
    Hell, it was only on my last playthrough of Deus Ex that I realized there was a secret floor panel in the computer room at UNATCO.

Sonovabitch!

Ahhh damnit. Now I've got to re-install!

:mrgreen:

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Replayed up to where my save game got deleted yesterday, just arrived in Hong Kong.

Love the note in Gunther's email to explain the aug canister in the drinks machine.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Steel-Lion wrote: »

Sonovabitch!

Why the hell was it uninstalled

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Sonovabitch!

Yeah, no joke. It's pretty small compared to most games nowadays so I just leave it on my computers. The system requirements are so low now that I can play for an hour or two on my laptop if I don't have anything else to do while traveling. I know I'm gonna end up playing it again, so why bother taking it off?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Sonovabitch!

Yeah, no joke. It's pretty small compared to most games nowadays so I just leave it on my computers. The system requirements are so low now that I can play for an hour or two on my laptop if I don't have anything else to do while traveling. I know I'm gonna end up playing it again, so why bother taking it off?

Never had it on my new PC of yet. I know I know, it's on here now.

I'll see you all in three weeks....or something

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Damn I love Hong Kong, just spent a couple of hours exploring the canals and sidestreets.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, I don't actually NEED the Dragon's Tooth. I have the Blackjack for stealth knockouts and the GEP gun for busting doors. It takes out a load of inventory space. It causes noisy yelling upon death and on Realistic I really shouldn't be getting in too close anyway. And yet I can't bring myself to drop it.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I got a prototype nano sword off an MiB that I shock prodded in the Unatco MJ12 facility.

Can do 150 base damage but the nano field around the blade is unstable, so you have to wait until it is at its stongest to do the most damage.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Arrrgh can't get this running on my laptop. Normal D3D renderer crashes with a "critical error bit: DD_OK", OpenGL renderer crashes even faster, D3D10 doesn't even start up.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I got a prototype nano sword off an MiB that I shock prodded in the Unatco MJ12 facility.

Can do 150 base damage but the nano field around the blade is unstable, so you have to wait until it is at its stongest to do the most damage.

I didn't really want that sword so I gave it to Miguel just in case. That's right, you can give some NPCs weapons. Well, Miguel and Gilbert Renton at least.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well it was an upgrade from the crowbar at least.

Also I forgot to go back and tell Miguel that the coast was clear, he's probably still there waiting for me ;_;

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

I didn't really want that sword so I gave it to Miguel just in case. That's right, you can give some NPCs weapons. Well, Miguel and Gilbert Renton at least.

FUCK, I totally forgot about Miguel, left him down in the Unatco base after saying something along the lines of, "Wait here, I'll be right back".

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    "...Hello? JC? ...Anybody? ...I'm so cold..."

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got an older disk installation of DX running fine in Win7 with the hi res texture thing.

Should I jeopardize it by installing other mods? Or it would be better to do a second install and use it as a guinea pig for the DX10 renderer and Shifter?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    does anything change if you save him? like meeting him later and he gives you free stuff?

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I got an older disk installation of DX running fine in Win7 with the hi res texture thing.

Should I jeopardize it by installing other mods? Or it would be better to do a second install and use it as a guinea pig for the DX10 renderer and Shifter?

You should be fine. Renderers can be changed at any time with either DXFix or ingame and shifter is incredibly stable.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fuga wrote: »
    does anything change if you save him? like meeting him later and he gives you free stuff?

You apparently get skill points for saving him but I don't think that's happened to me. I just don't like leaving the poor bastard down there. I mean when the non-dead MJ12 guys wake up they're gonna be PISSED.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fuga wrote: »

You apparently get skill points for saving him but I don't think that's happened to me. I just don't like leaving the poor bastard down there. I mean when the non-dead MJ12 guys wake up they're gonna be PISSED.

Also those greasels I let loose were hungry...D:

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Where exactly is the cabinet with the nanoswords in Versalife? I'm in the labs and can't find it.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I started a new run-through of DE2 just for funsies

They didn't mind me hacking the ATM at the WTO air terminal, but I got caught hacking the snack machine and that was fucking it

"Open fire, men! She has our candy bars!"

"But sir, maybe we should just ignore it, considering the higher-ups want her for high-risk espionage..."

"You have your orders, soldier! Jail is too good for scum like her!"

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh hey, so check the entrance to the hidden sewer base when you go to Hell's Kitchen for the very last time, and look for the assault shotgun under the rubble. Only it's not a shotgun at all, it's an ILAW, a portable version of the MJ12 Commando rockets. Weaker than the GEP, but takes up half the space, fires faster, and the ammo is common enough since it's dropped by commandos.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh hey, so check the entrance to the hidden sewer base when you go to Hell's Kitchen for the very last time, and look for the assault shotgun under the rubble. Only it's not a shotgun at all, it's an ILAW, a portable version of the MJ12 Commando rockets. Weaker than the GEP, but takes up half the space, fires faster, and the ammo is common enough since it's dropped by commandos.

WHAAAAAT!

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

WHAAAAAT!

Shifter I assume?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    agoaj wrote: »

WHAAAAAT!

Shifter I assume?

Oh yeah, I probably shoulda said that. Course there's pretty much no reason NOT to use Shifter that I can see.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jesus fuck, I forgot DE2 makes you load everything every five seconds.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

This really made me realize that the biggest problem in DE2 is that it breaks your immersion constantly

It's like somebody smacking the book you're trying to read out of your hands every 3 minutes

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah pretty much.

At least DE3 won't have that.

august on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That is something I really enjoy about playing Deus Ex on a recent computer: Instantaneous load times. I remember the first time I played the game I had to sit through minute long loads each time I went to a new area.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Checking out that non lethal walkthrough up on Youtube. Damn...

I feel like I play Deus Ex wrong, I always take my time checking out every little nook and cranny, it takes me hours to finish a scenario. :(

Impersonator on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This really made me realize that the biggest problem in DE2 is that it breaks your immersion constantly

It's like somebody smacking the book you're trying to read out of your hands every 3 minutes

This analogy is so perfect.

Say what you want about the rest of the game, I personally thought it was alright as long as I pretended it wasn't a Deus Ex sequel, but the loading in that game was crazy. Especially compared to other games of its type that came out around the same time.

edit- Hell, even compared to games that came out before it!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Checking out that non lethal walkthrough up on Youtube. Damn...

I feel like I play Deus Ex wrong, I always take my time checking out every little nook and cranny, it takes me hours to finish a scenario. :(

Actually you're playing it 100% right.

Dhalphir on
This discussion has been closed.