As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EQ] Free EverQuest Classic Server - It's Good To Be Back

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I can't believe it, but I'm actually looking forward to the duldrums and tedious gameplay of EQ. There was always so much to explore and see... and being able to hail and talk to NPC's and trigger keywords instead of having your hand held through questing.

This is my calling.
    This is my destiny.

Edit: I'm REALLY hoping I've got titanium at home... because all I'm seeing online are $50-75 price ranges. Even Amazon

Used on Amazon from $22.05. Not like you need the CD key...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Actually I'm thinking I bought Secrets of Faydwer. From what I'm reading, that should work.

GPIA7R on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    for anyone that is playing, have any of you done the deathfist slashed belt turn in?

just wondering if i can invis myself then run in and turn in.

Feldorn on
  • OtistheGuardOtistheGuard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well from what I understand EQEmu servers have to manually add all quests, so they may or may not have added the quest. For instance, I tried doing the mail quests from Kaladim to Kelethin but he didn't respond to the last [words].

I'm thinking if I do any important quests for loot I'm going to document it with screen shots in case my items get eaten.

OtistheGuard on
    SC2: Cleomenes.943
    XBL: Aspis 9
    Lotro (Landroval): Cleomenes [Champion], Ilithano [Captain]
    edited January 2010
    i've seen enough people offering 3pp per belt that i am pretty confident that it is in. i just read conflicting accounts of being able to do the turn in while invis.

and correct me if i'm wrong, but as a DEF necro, the militia is glares threatningly to me, so that would be KOS correct?

Feldorn on
  • 3point143point14 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    rolled up a DE, it's been a long time, but I don't remember snakes and spiders chain aggro'ing in Nektulos woods. I'm also surprised that the default newbie bind point is out in the middle of Nektulos and not back by Neriak.

Regardless; brutal,merciless,and multiple deaths have been a nice reminder if days past. I may burn out quickly, but I'm hoping the pure nostalgia keeps me interested in this at least until LGuk. I miss Guk.... ever since instanced zones have become the norm, I've NEVER seen the same sense of community(or rivalry) that formed between groups in LGuk.

I'm not sure I want to join up with Exquisite, since I'm likely to dissappear without notice, but if anyone needs and enchanter, feel free to look for Maarkov and see if I'm online and/or high enough level.

3point14 on
    edited January 2010
    Not sure I'm getting this: Is EQEmu = Project1999? The instructions given at Project1999 point to EQEmulator website... just want to make sure that's not a separate server.

Says to put
    [LoginServer]
    Host=eqemulator.net:5998

... in the file, but does that go to Project1999's server?

GPIA7R on
    edited January 2010
    unless you intend to try and join an uber guild... or just play nonstop and do your own thing *cough*Wizat*cough* then there isn't really much point in not joining the guild.

not like there are mandatory raids or anything.

Feldorn on
    edited January 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Not sure I'm getting this: Is EQEmu = Project1999? The instructions given at Project1999 point to EQEmulator website... just want to make sure that's not a separate server.

Says to put
    [LoginServer]
    Host=eqemulator.net:5998

... in the file, but does that go to Project1999's server?

eqemu i think is the login server that all these emulated EQ servers use, project1999 is the group that is running the physical/virtual server.

you need to follow the eqemu setup to be able to authenticate with their servers.

Feldorn on
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Server down and we're knee deep in Orc Highway.

I foresee a login to a naked-ass Jeebo. D:

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • MyCoCoMyCoCo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Server just went down I think.

When I log back in tomorrow I will be greeted with a minigame of frogger as I try to get out from behind the Orc highway where our group just moved =/ friggin rogue.

Also I came across a massive (bigger than an ogre big) Kobold with a stupid name I have never seen of/heard before, any of you guys before Kunark recognise him?
    Joashdkajshdkgsagshdgjagsdguna.jpg

edit : For a Pally shield quest in the 40s apparently, devs are dicks, almost ran into that guy in a level 1-8 zone

MyCoCo on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dont recognize that Kobold but I didnt hang out much in Ogre/Troll land back in the day. Im slowly working my way up as I want to spend some time in Sol and Perma but man that will take a long while.

Jubal77 on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wish I could get this without having to buy the expansions =/

I miss my old EQ days. I had crap for gear (well, some good bits)

but I had every damn tradeskill maxed for my shawls.

unfortunately, they were wasted because I failed 8 times in a row on the 6th shawl and god damn mermaid hair was a pain in the ass to get.

Xaquin on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    man thats some shit I was close to 16. Hope we can still go to guk tonight.

Shogun on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feldorn wrote: »
    for anyone that is playing, have any of you done the deathfist slashed belt turn in?

just wondering if i can invis myself then run in and turn in.

It might work differently in this version, but originally you could, sort of. Initiating a trade would break invis/hide (but not sneak), but you could then re-invis (I was a bard so I could just leave the song running, or you could get another player to inivs you) and do the hand-in. Of course, it was possible you'd agro the quest giver if you are KOS. At some point that got nerfed, IIRC.

Anyway, it might be difficult to pull off since you can't sneak.

I'm pretty sure there is an easy way to get up to dubious, I know I did it on a DE character once, but that was a rogue.

juice for jesus on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Servers up and I'm going in as Sokhan

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • PyrocatPyrocat Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    MyCoCo wrote: »
    Also I came across a massive (bigger than an ogre big) Kobold with a stupid name I have never seen of/heard before, any of you guys before Kunark recognise him?
    Joashdkajshdkgsagshdgjagsdguna.jpg

edit : For a Pally shield quest in the 40s apparently, devs are dicks, almost ran into that guy in a level 1-8 zone

Lol, you think that's bad, when the server first started it had about 8 level 20ish human/elf/dwarf NPCs that were KOS to trolls and ogres wandering near the entrance of guk and within spitting distance of Grobb. Troll guards wouldn't help you out either. Apparently they are for some quest, but only one is supposed to be spawned at a time, not all 8. You got it easy :)

I rarely post on these forums, but I'm Pyrocat from the P1999 forums and SA. It's definitely worth giving this server a shot if you loved oldschool EQ. I always thought I was looking back at EQ with rose colored glasses, but I started playing this server again and it was just as addictive and wonderful as the first time I played. I was one of the first level 50s that didn't share accounts to do it and I'm still playing as much as I can, despite the lack of new content. Here's hoping Plane of Hate comes out soon :)

P.S. Troll shamans best shamans.

Pyrocat on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like the server, but my only complaint is mana regen. It really sucks.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    I like the server, but my only complaint is mana regen/health regen/xp gain. It really sucks.

I forgot why I stopped playing EQ when I hit (I think) 15. The game gets really painful.

For now I'm having fun, though my ranger actually disappeared. It's ok, he was only level 2, so I'll start him up again, but weird.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • B.D.V.B.D.V. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anyone know why my EQ will only play in window'd mode? It wont play full screen and I can't figure it out..

B.D.V. on
    steam_sig.png
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alright, I think I have settled on a character. Mestepula - Paladin - Freeport. I'm logging for the night though, fun to get to play for a while tonight. It feels good to actually get to take my time enjoying the game. I have only over played the trial before and I always rushed through the beginning and ended up stuck with some really tough mobs later on.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    B.D.V. wrote: »
    Anyone know why my EQ will only play in window'd mode? It wont play full screen and I can't figure it out..

Have you tried hitting alt+enter? It almost always goes into windowed mode whenever I start it up but I just hit alt+enter and it's just fine. It also goes to windowed mode if I alt+tab out of the game and I have to do the same.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited January 2010
    Bah... EQ has screwed up the gamma on my computer. =/

SkyCaptain on
    edited January 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    B.D.V. wrote: »

Have you tried hitting alt+enter? It almost always goes into windowed mode whenever I start it up but I just hit alt+enter and it's just fine. It also goes to windowed mode if I alt+tab out of the game and I have to do the same.

either ALt-Enter, or go into your .ini profile and change the "WINDOWED=YES" to "NO"

Or change it in your video options from in-game.

So last night, after I got on, I didn't see a server called "Project 1999", so I joined the biggest one, assuming it WAS Project 1999. Went through a couple minutes of the tutorial stage, looked around, realized how much I hate the controls (turning with the mouse is incredibly slow). Then I heard that Project 1999 server was down.

... So I waited and logged in later last night. Oh man, I had no idea how classic it was. I figured at least they would use the updated character models, hah! It's amazing how terrible the graphics are. Definetly a classic experience.

My problems lie in the UI now. I really need to sort it in a way that flows. Hitting Tab to cycle through NPC's is very hit or miss... and swimming is just a failed venture. If I step into a puddle, I drown... I can't swim up, no matter what I do. Sometimes I can't swim at all, I just stay there in place, not moving forward or backward.

Getting drunk is a ridiculous experience... I drank maybe two or three things, and was drunk for what had to be 20 minutes of disorienting movement. Extremely hard to play, and enjoy.

Going to have to dedicate some time to this and see if I can get back into a smoother feeling EQ. Have to get used to the controls and whatnot... it's just rough going at the start.

GPIA7R on
  • GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Press page up to look up when swimming - almost drowned cause of this

Also tab targetting is 'previous target' rather than closest, I think.

And yeah I don't know why they didnt give you the option to choose luclin models, man were they a lot better.

When do INT casters get meditate anyway? is it 4 or 5?

GhostManOnThird on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Updated the roster. It's getting really difficult to keep up at it with all the new players hopping on board!

INT casters get meditate at Level 4.

The Luclin models were, and still are, horse shit.

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2010
    It's not just the Luclin models either, the animations were dire. Luclin wolf attack is basically a dog pawing at your leg for food under the dinner table...in slow motion?

Original models > Luclin, Velious armours had really awesome textures as well.

MyCoCo on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh shit. A couple of questions since this is classic:

Does Feign Death Break charm?
    Are the original pets and fine steel delay in?
    Can you give other mobs bad 2 handed weapons to slow their attack?
    Is is the old monk avoidance? (I think that was changed in luclin)
    DO SNAKES STILL KICK?

I'm probably going to play this. I'm probably going to install this after work tonight if my RL friends aren't on DDO.

Edit: Oh shit, the forum even has rants about training and killstealing!

Edit2: I'm so fucking excited about this. EQ is one of the games where you get a sense of accomplishment. After spending so much time getting your teeth kicked in, when you finally get that thing it's a fantastic feeling.

The only other place I've had that feeling is in Civilization after being gangbanged by all the other civ's and finally pulling out of it to roll over all of them.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh shit. A couple of questions since this is classic:

Does Feign Death Break charm?
    Are the original pets and fine steel delay in?
    Can you give other mobs bad 2 handed weapons to slow their attack?
    Is is the old monk avoidance? (I think that was changed in luclin)
    DO SNAKES STILL KICK?

I'm probably going to play this. I'm probably going to install this after work tonight if my RL friends aren't on DDO.

Edit: Oh shit, the forum even has rants about training and killstealing!

Edit2: I'm so fucking excited about this. EQ is one of the games where you get a sense of accomplishment. After spending so much time getting your teeth kicked in, when you finally get that thing it's a fantastic feeling.

The only other place I've had that feeling is in Civilization after being gangbanged by all the other civ's and finally pulling out of it to roll over all of them.

1. Good question!
    2. I believe so.
    3. I don't think so.
    4. No idea.
    5. YES!

The Sneak! on
    edited January 2010
    Wait, snakes kick? Ahahahahahahahaha.

In other news, I hit level 7 with my pally tonight and my RL friend hit level 7 with his cleric. We have blown by my other RL friend who still has a level 3 wizard, lol. Oh well, he can't expect me to sit around when he's not on, can he? :D Also, I saw some massive trains tonight in Crushbone and was nearly killed by one of them. Luckily my group had two clerics, two warriors and a wizzy, plus myself, so we came out on top with no deaths (then).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sharks, fish, tadpoles, everything kicks in EQ.

juice for jesus on
    edited January 2010
    I'm plodding along with my cleric at level 5 still. It's difficult to solo, though I at least have plenty of bag space to store my loot. I'd really like to get a set of banded mail armor, but can't afford it yet.

SkyCaptain on
    edited January 2010
    You don't have to worry about soloing though, I'm sure clerics are still in demand for groups.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited January 2010
    Only if I can find groups in that level range. A group camping the orcs in EC wouldn't accept me because I was level 5 and not level 7.

SkyCaptain on
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm gonna try to get in on this action on Saturday. Hopefully I wont be too far behind everyone.

I wanna be a noam chanter, but the draw of a bearded dwarven lady is strong.

Quick questions that have probably already been answered,

1. Is it just base EQ (no expansions?)
    2. Do they plan on adding expansions?
    3. Can I relive the exploits of Fancy (the famous bard and champion of sand giants)?

Taterskin on
    edited January 2010
    Taterskin wrote: »
    3. Can I relive the exploits of Fancy (the famous bard and champion of sand giants)?

1. Just base EQ at the moment.
    2. Yes.
    3. I guess so...

SkyCaptain on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    though with the Xpacks they will only be going up to Velios the ice island, I belive.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited January 2010
    What stats are important for warriors?

Level 15 and just now I start wondering. Fairly sure stam is good but...should I be going for strength or agi or dex or...? Halp.

MyCoCo on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

2. Yes.
    3. I guess so...

He can't on #3. Training people intentionally on this server is a quick way to get perma banned.

Brian on
    edited January 2010
    Brian wrote: »

2. Yes.
    3. I guess so...

He can't on #3. Training people intentionally on this server is a quick way to get perma banned.

Which is an authentic way of reliving Fancy's exploits. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
This discussion has been closed.