As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Following the Last Lion: MA Senate Elections

• Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hjparcins wrote: »
    ITT: Someone says something that isn't completely liberal. 20 guys froth at the mouth and call him an idiot rather than offering civil discussion.

Sigh. I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the persecution complex given as it is a staple, but it doesn't make it less annoying.

If someone is saying stupid bullshit, then they shouldn't expect to be coddled over it. In the words of the Governator: stop whining.

This isn't just about conservative versus liberal, either. There are quite a few more conservative posters in this thread who aren't getting dogpiled over everything they say.

Savant on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ITT: Someone says something that isn't completely liberal. 20 guys froth at the mouth and call him an idiot rather than offering civil discussion.

He never engaged with the assertion that people support progressive legislation when they are polled on its specific provisions. This was a substantive point. He ignored it and then bitched that people were calling the seat formerly occupied by Ted Kennedy "Ted Kennedy's seat." Then he disappeared.

So. Uh. The problem here is not a lack of civility.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

:?

You realize we have quite a few conservatives here, that have been around for quite a while, and get along just great, right? You know why? Because they debate from logical and non-disingenuous positions.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

You realize we have quite a few conservatives here, that have been around for quite a while, and get along just great, right? You know why? Because they debate from logical and non-disingenuous positions.
    See also: positions based on feasible realities.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Personally I just back out of a thread when its gets a little too lefty for me. I just choose my battles. Also, I reached an age where I don't really care if someone has a different opinion then me, I don't make it my personal mission to convert everyone to my world view. meh

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You know what? Five bucks says, unless a bigger candidate comes out of the 2010 elections, that Brown becomes one of top three republican presidential nominees.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You know what? Five bucks says, unless a bigger candidate comes out of the 2010 elections, that Brown becomes the republican presidential nominee.

VP pick seems a lot more likely to me. I don't see him surviving the GOP primary given the current state of the party, though things can change.

Savant on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Greg USN wrote: »

Personally I just back out of a thread when its gets a little too lefty for me. I just choose my battles. Also, I reached an age where I don't really care if someone has a different opinion then me, I don't make it my personal mission to convert everyone to my world view. meh
    This is entirely too reasonable, Greg. I demand you crazy it up a little. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Savant wrote: »
    You know what? Five bucks says, unless a bigger candidate comes out of the 2010 elections, that Brown becomes the republican presidential nominee.

VP pick seems a lot more likely to me. I don't see him surviving the GOP primary given the current state of the party, though things can change.

Yeah, I forgot this was the republican party we were talking about. I do think he'll be one of the two or three guys in the race for the nomination though.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You know what? Five bucks says, unless a bigger candidate comes out of the 2010 elections, that Brown becomes one of top three republican presidential nominees.

Eh, two years on the national stage seems way to early for me. Look at the crap Obama caught after four years as a senator. Not that hypocrisy has ever stopped the GOP before.

VP nod seems a lot more likely to me.

Is Brown taking over the remainder of Kennedy's term, or will he be in for the next six years?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

This is entirely too reasonable, Greg. I demand you crazy it up a little. :P

Ok ummm....
    SARAH PALIN 2012!!! She's a renegade maverick that fix the mess we are in!
    am I serious?
    no, I'm not
    unless I am
    i'm not

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Eh, two years on the national stage seems way to early for me. Look at the crap Obama caught after four years as a senator. Not that hypocrisy has ever stopped the GOP before.

Is Brown taking over the remainder of Kennedy's term, or will he be in for the next six years?

He's up in 2012 I'm pretty sure. So he'll probably be eager to get the hell out. A Presidential election electorate in Massachusetts is not good for a Republican.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok ummm....
    am I serious?
    no, I'm not
    unless I am
    i'm not

Was forgetting the verb intentional to mimic her, or a happy accident?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    2 lazy2 lazy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

I guarantee the GOP won't give two shits about the fact that Scott Brown was only senator for 2 years.

They'll just say "After Obama we saw experience doesn't matter too much"

And yea, Senator Brown is pretty much the best candidate for Republican President, if someone better comes a long then at least he would make a pretty good VP.

This assumes the vetting process for him goes smoothly and brings up no major problems.

Also his daughters are pretty hot, and one is available (the hottest one).

2 lazy on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2010
    2 lazy wrote: »

I guarantee the GOP won't give two shits about the fact that Scott Brown was only senator for 2 years.

They'll just say "After Obama we saw experience doesn't matter too much"

And yea, Senator Brown is pretty much the best candidate for Republican President, if someone better comes a long then at least he would make a pretty good VP.

This assumes the vetting process for him goes smoothly and brings up no major problems.

Also his daughters are pretty hot, and one is available (the hottest one).

He would have to do the Romney-"Well I was pro-choice but I've checked the polling and now apparently I'm pro-life." thing.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Obama actually had only served 2 years as a US Senator when he announced his candidacy for president. He too wasn't even remotely qualified, but maybe those <2 extra years he was campaigning while serving as Senator made all the difference?

Also Brown has posed nude, so that should get a ton of female voters.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Obama actually had only served 2 years as a US Senator when he announced his candidacy for president. He too wasn't even remotely qualified, but maybe those <2 extra years he was campaigning while serving as Senator made all the difference?

Also Brown has posed nude, so that should get a ton of female voters.

Not only does posing nude get you votes, it helps your image.

In a lot of places, a Leader baring his chest is like a symbol of power (if you're not a fat fuck). Putin use to do this all the fucking time doing all sorts of manly shit like blacksmithing and hunting tigers and riding horses.

Even Obama has done it.

2 lazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Of course by that standard Lincoln was also not even remotely qualified. Oddly, campaigns tend to give the votes the chance to make that judgment.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2010
    Of course by that standard Lincoln was also not even remotely qualified. Oddly, campaigns tend to give the votes the chance to make that judgment.

Lincoln never posed nude? Or he didn't look good when he did? I don't understand. I'll bet he was ripped.

Tiger Burning on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Lincoln? Come on man, at least stay in the 20th century.

Every president since Teddy Roosevelt has been more qualified than Obama. Probably most before, too - I don't know much about the pre 1900s, though.

The fact is qualifications and experience seem to have been thrown out in the last election, so I don't think a lack of either of those things would stop Brown from running.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok ummm....
    am I serious?
    no, I'm not
    unless I am
    i'm not

oops!
    I'm not going to edit it, its better that way.

For the record I don't really fall into either camp.
    I'm more of a libertarian but even there I'm not a true one.
    For one I think the government needs to stay out of our personal lives, including reproductive rights and gay marriage. that being said, I think there are dangers to funding abortions, my mom used to work with a girl that used them as birth control (for real she had like 4).
    however I am also for strong border security (maybe because I live 6 miles from it) and deporting the fuck out of people. I'd also love to see unions being removed from the public sector, This has played a fairly major role in California's fiscal problems. Not all mind you but it's significant.

WRT the election, while I am pleased brown won its simply because I don't want any one party to have total control, that goes for the right wing as well. However this fear is most likely unjustified because the dems didn't really do anything with it. I'd love a viable third party so politics can stop being so fucking black and white.

Also, Id like term limits for federal offices. I fully understand the argument for the current system but I would like to see senators vote their conscious rather then vote what will keep them in office. Case in point, if the left really did what they thought was right then there would be HCR, probably single payer, already.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Every president since Teddy Roosevelt has been more qualified than Obama. Probably most before, too - I don't know much about the pre 1900s, though.

The fact is qualifications and experience seem to have been thrown out in the last election, so I don't think a lack of either of those things would stop Brown from running.

I don't think they were thrown out, so much as a choice between experience coupled with a poor candidate and inexperience coupled with a decent candidate.

I mean, sure McCain was experienced as all get out, but he still blew pretty damn hard. It's not like there were two equally nice candidates and the American people got a boner for inexperience.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok ummm....
    am I serious?
    no, I'm not
    unless I am
    i'm not

oops!
    I'm not going to edit it, its better that way.

For the record I don't really fall into either camp.
    I'm more of a libertarian but even there I'm not a true one.
    For one I think the government needs to stay out of our personal lives, including reproductive rights and gay marriage. that being said, I think there are dangers to funding abortions, my mom used to work with a girl that used them as birth control (for real she had like 4).
    however I am also for strong border security (maybe because I live 6 miles from it) and deporting the fuck out of people. I'd also love to see unions being removed from the public sector, This has played a fairly major role in California's fiscal problems. Not all mind you but it's significant.

WRT the election, while I am pleased brown won its simply because I don't want any one party to have total control, that goes for the right wing as well. However this fear is most likely unjustified because the dems didn't really do anything with it. I'd love a viable third party so politics can stop being so fucking black and white.

Also, Id like term limits for federal offices. I fully understand the argument for the current system but I would like to see senators vote their conscious rather then vote what will keep them in office. Case in point, if the left really did what they thought was right then there would be HCR, probably single payer, already.

We agree.

2 lazy on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Marry me, you sexy beast.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I don't think they were thrown out, so much as a choice between experience coupled with a poor candidate and inexperience coupled with a decent candidate.

I mean, sure McCain was experienced as all get out, but he still blew pretty damn hard. It's not like there were two equally nice candidates and the American people got a boner for inexperience.

Does nobody even remember Hillary Clinton?

2 lazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

No, no. They were thrown out. Otherwise we would have our first female president rather than our first black president right now, because Hillary Clinton was far, far more qualified than Obama.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hillary Clinton is still probably one of the most qualified candidates for President in the Democratic party

I mean, after Obama is done who the fuck is left?

2 lazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It really is true though. When the talk is 'we have to pass this by 2010 because some of the senators are up for re-election' there is a problem. Who cares if you loose your seat, if you really believe that you did a service to your country then hold your head high. doing whats right is something that's lost in this country, especially WRT people in power.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hillary Clinton is still probably one of the most qualified candidates for President in the Democratic party

She's going to be way too old.

Also you can't possibly look forward 7 years and even begin to know (or guess) what the status of the democratic party is going to be.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

No, no. They were thrown out. Otherwise we would have our first female president rather than our first black president right now, because Hillary Clinton was far, far more qualified than Obama.

You shouldn't confuse "time in national office" with being qualified. Most of Obama's life was preparation for the presidency, and he used the campaign to show that he was qualified. If being in office means being qualified, then I guess Strom Thurmond would have been great.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'd be happy if the Dems dropped Obama and picked up Hillary next election.

Unfortunately the history of incumbent advantage means they'll never do that, despite the fact that I feel it would be the best decision.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Which is scary, considering how poorly she ran her campaign. But then, we're kinda seeing with Obama that running a good campaign doesn't translate to governing well.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It really is true though. When the talk is 'we have to pass this by 2010 because some of the senators are up for re-election' there is a problem. Who cares if you loose your seat, if you really believe that you did a service to your country then hold your head high. doing whats right is something that's lost in this country, especially WRT people in power.

I completely agree.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Which is scary, considering how poorly she ran her campaign. But then, we're kinda seeing with Obama that running a good campaign doesn't translate to governing well.

Has everybody here pretty much come to agree that Obama is shit

2 lazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Your moniker is accurate.

Tiger Burning on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Whatever his motivations are, so far he has shown extremely poor leadership.
    It's only been a year, but... signs are not good.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I haven't completely given up on him, but I am very unhappy with his performance this first year.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So what would you guys grade him?

D-?

F?

2 lazy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So what would you guys grade him?

D-?

F?

C-

But everyone expected at least a solid B+

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Part of the problem with selecting an unqualified, inexperienced candidate, I suppose.

Hillary Clinton 2012! I could at least partially stand her being in office.

hjparcins on