As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You think this letter on my head stands for [Awesome Moments]?! NSF56K

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That's why AIM always fails. Book smart, not street smart.

AIM is really the Goofus to Hydra's Gallant nowadays.

Whatever happened with MODOK taking over AIM, and making all the members where clothes that made them look sort of like mini-MODOKs? The only reference I saw to it following MODOK's 11 was in Ryan Dunlavey's Reign Delay book.

Munch on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    That's why AIM always fails. Book smart, not street smart.

AIM is really the Goofus to Hydra's Gallant nowadays.

Whatever happened with MODOK taking over AIM, and making all the members where clothes that made them look sort of like mini-MODOKs? The only reference I saw to it following MODOK's 11 was in Ryan Dunlavey's Reign Delay book.

Modok mentions that he's still running AIM in Fall of the Hulks:Alpha. Whether Parker/Loeb do anything else with it, who knows.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Parker, yes.

Loeb will kill off MODOK, with Red Hulk going "Made Of Doodie Or Kooties!"

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010
    Superman Birthright, best Superman story outside of Secret Identity? Probably. You've got nothin', Johns, nothin'!

sba.jpg
    sbb.jpg

sbc.jpg

sbd.jpg

sbe.jpg

sbf.jpg

sbg.jpg

sbh.jpg

TexiKen on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Birthright had the coolest looking Superman I've ever seen (not counting the visored Eradicator Superman from the Death arc). I really wish Leinil would do another Superman book - is he a Marvel exclusive now when gets stuff done?

Hensler on
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Birthright had the coolest looking Superman I've ever seen (not counting the visored Eradicator Superman from the Death arc). I really wish Leinil would do another Superman book - is he a Marvel exclusive now when gets stuff done?

He's Marvel exclusive, yeah. He would be a great choice for Action Comics should he jump over to DC again. He drew probably the best version of Jonathan and Martha I've seen. And Martha being all into UFOs since Clark came to them, that was a great touch.

TexiKen on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yu also drew Silent Dragon, which was really great. Basically, a Yakuza dude becomes a double agent after being ressurected as cyborg. All kinds of crazy shit goes down, it is fantastic. I wish I owned it, instead of borrowed it from the library. Quite a few awesome moments in there.

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2010
    Whoa, I forgot about Silent Dragon. That was a cool book. So was the WW2 mini series that Yu worked on with Scott Lobdell. It was ridiculous.

Hensler on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I own 0 Superman stuff (unless you count appearances in Batman), and have had no interest in changing that... but Birthright just went on my wishlist because of those scans.

Tomanta on
    edited January 2010
    It is the best. Waid writes a good humble Superman, a great Lois, a strong Kent family, the only thing he didn't get a chance to write was Krypto. His Lex also works as being someone who isn't a mustache twirling villain like he is now.

TexiKen on
  • Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, I need to read Birthright again.

Junior Yank on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I own 0 Superman stuff (unless you count appearances in Batman), and have had no interest in changing that... but Birthright just went on my wishlist because of those scans.

Go buy All Star Superman and Red Son now.

KVW on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Is Red Son the one where he landed in Stalin's Russia instead?

Echo on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    yes it is

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    It is the best. Waid writes a good humble Superman

Waid writes a good everything.

Hensler on
    edited January 2010
    His current ASM is doodie, although it could be just because of the general direction since OMD (although people are going Lady Gaga over the recent Rhino issue).

I never understood why Waid was blacklisted from writing an ongoing Superman title. Stoopid.

Hensler if you liked Waid's Cap run check out his Ka-Zar run from right after Onslaught, it's really fun too.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2010

Hensler if you liked Waid's Cap run check out his Ka-Zar run from right after Onslaught, it's really fun too.

I've got it and I love it.

Hensler on
    edited January 2010
    And also, Amazing Spider-Man would be great if Waid was the only one writing it and Marvel fired their editorial department.

Hensler on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    His current ASM is doodie, although it could be just because of the general direction since OMD (although people are going Lady Gaga over the recent Rhino issue).

What's so great about it? I haven't picked up ASM in a while, but if it's good I'll start again.

Mr Pink on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Grab the last 3 issues with Sandman and Rhino.

KVW on
    edited January 2010
    Jim Lee X-Men art! Nazis! Ninjas! With Cheesecake AND Captain America (maybe even cheesecake Captain America if that floats your boat):

u268a.jpg

u268b.jpg

u268c.jpg

u268d.jpg

u268e.jpg

And to top it off, Psylocke and Black Widow in awesome 80's sexy, and Psylocke is even smoking!

u268f.jpg

And then Wolverine vs. Gambit, in the first of many "Bang. You dead." moments (Rick Leonardi art):

u273a.jpg

u273b.jpg

u273c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's not gambit. He didn't say mon amie once!

Kyougu on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

And then Wolverine vs. Gambit, in the first of many "Bang. You dead." moments (Rick Leonardi art):

I think that was, like, one of the first issues of X-Men I ever read. Ahhh, memories.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did that Lady Deathstrike robot just read Wolverine's thought bubble?

CyberJackal on
    edited January 2010
    I didn't realize Eric Canete did an Action Comics story from Joe Kelly's run, he's more dynamic with his art now though. Also, early 00's Luthor is hella better than the current version:

ac774b.jpg

ac774c.jpg

ac774d.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dayspring wrote: »

I think that was, like, one of the first issues of X-Men I ever read. Ahhh, memories.

Oh god, it was one of the last I read. And I don't mean "because it sucked blah blah blah." I loved the X-Men. I started reading around the Dark Phoenix Saga, picked up the spin-offs, even picked up Classic X-Men (back in the day before bound collections, that was the awesomest thing ever). But I started needing money for other things around the early-to-mid 90s, and comics were what had to go.

Basically, what I'm saying here, is your post makes me feel old.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Just after fighting their way through an army of zombies in a secret base in the middle of a radioactive desert Johnny Alpha and Judge Dredd contemplate the several hundred kay walk back home.
    1664c.jpg

Bogart on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, fucking Judge Dredd!

GAZE INTO THE FIST OF DREDD!!!

Solar on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That is pretty bitching. Love the absurdity of it.

DouglasDanger on
  • AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So how do you cheer up your mopey younger brother, who just happens to have control of dreams and just got out of 70 years of imprisonment and is now questioning what to do with his endless life?

Why, tell him a joke of course!
    FatPidgeons.jpg

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
    edited January 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Yeah, fucking Judge Dredd!

GAZE INTO THE FIST OF DREDD!!!

johnny alpha, bitch!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    It is the best. Waid writes a good humble Superman

Waid writes a good everything.

Agreed!

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Someone needs to post "Gaze into the fist of Dredd" now. :P

Echo on
    edited January 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Someone needs to post "Gaze into the fist of Dredd" now. :P

FNF-Fist03Big.jpg

Hensler on
    edited January 2010
    The whole conclusion to the Strontium Dog Rage storyline is an awesome moment. I might try and dig that out and scan it in because it's one of the most cold-blooded killings I've ever read a hero commit.

Bogart on
    edited January 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    The whole conclusion to the Strontium Dog Rage storyline is an awesome moment. I might try and dig that out and scan it in because it's one of the most cold-blooded killings I've ever read a hero commit.

hey man, wulf didn't deserve what he got

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Servo wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »

hey man, wulf didn't deserve what he got

Of course not, but you have to admit the way Alpha killed Bubba was cold. Shooting him in the head to graze him so that Bubba would wake up later, get treatment and think he'd had the luckiest escape of all time only for Alpha to call out his name while he's celebrating in the street outside the hospital, then answering the blubbering question "Why are you doing this to me?" with "Because I hate you". BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM and a hole the size of Texas in Bubba's chest.

Ice water was running in Johnny Alphas veins back vein.
    Note: I loved this ending. Alpha had some great tough guy moments. Throwing back a disarmed villain's guns so they could draw and telling them that "You're going to die, but you're going to die right".

Bogart on
    edited January 2010
    yeah the "because i hate you" line was...cold as ice

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Luthor finding out Clark Kent is Superman, and actually believing it this time (before IC ruined everything about Luthor):

s178a.jpg

s178b.jpg

s178c.jpg

s178d.jpg

s178e.jpg

And guess what, that was Loeb. Yeah, he was actually pretty good on Superman.

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    How was that retconned out?

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.