As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game-On] WARMACHINE and HORDES Mk II - First VASSAL tournament soon fellow STALKERs!

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, what's a good way to use Trenchers? Granted I'm new to the game. But I think you could get some mileage out of them by using 2 small units with rifle grenades + Officer +grenadiers and somebody with snipe. Using pNemo though (as I am atm) I can't think of a reason to use them.

SJ on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Smoke screen and pHaley using Temporal Barrier every turn.
    There was a guy on the PP forums a few years back who argued that if he was having fun doing this, then his opponent should be having fun too

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well that obviously. Anything other than the painfully obvious though? :P

SJ on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They're a smokescreen and a speed bump/tar pit. They're great when supported by Stryker1 or Hailey, since they can take out light troops with their rifles and are decent in melee.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait am I crazy? There is an alt pose Vlad isn't there? I don't see any record of him anywhere but I am sure it's not E.Vlad, and I don't think he looks like the picture I am finding at all.

Edit: nevermind this one is what I have I think.
    33040.png

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I believe that's the Hurricane Katrina alt-pose one, where proceeds went to charity.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes, that is the alt sculpt. It's the one I have as well.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How is the Khador battle box assembly wise? Is it as easy as the Magnus one or is it make me wanna poke my eyes out with a file difficult like the Skorne box. I just got the Khador set at christmas and didn't open it up.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    How is the Khador battle box assembly wise? Is it as easy as the Magnus one or is it make me wanna poke my eyes out with a file difficult like the Skorne box. I just got the Khador set at christmas and didn't open it up.

Super easy.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I like super easy! Maybe I will get on that in the next week or so then. I plan to do my Khador in a Gunmetal, grey, black, with maroon accent scheme. I worry it might looks sort of Nazi germany tho.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just watch out for the khador gap, on all the warjacks, im going to assume this will get fixed with the new plastics. Also, i've never seen an vlad mini that I actualy liked the looks of.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I am a fan of epic Vlad's model, though I would happily green stuff new shoulder pads and a cloak for him.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man oh man oh man.

I want to get Vassal up and running and learn this game.

Jester313 on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    After 5:15 EST I should be free, unless I manage to get a diplomacy game going with my buds I might be able to play a vassal game.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stats for Avalancher, Cinerators, and Vigilant are up on the main page. Menoth forums are crying their asses out.

Cinerators are reachless, PS 12 weaponmasters that set enemies within an inch of what they hit (Kill?) on fire. They get +2 spd if hurt. Arm 17.

Vigilant is an ARM 21 light jack with Girded. AOE armies will now cry foul now as Menite players will begin to stack these Jack son top of Choir and Vassals.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They're crying because they think they're bad?

SJ on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yup. I don't see anything wrong with those two models.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, wtf... they look pretty good to me. Especially the cinterators.

SJ on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Khobai will complain about anything

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is that one of the posters on the PP forum?

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's your basic forum logic. On paper the Cinerators look unimpressive compared to Bastions: SPD6 after being shot = SPD4 with reach, ARM17 is inferior to ARM16 with damage spreading, and the exploding fire is situational. However, that kind of simplification collapses with the myriad variety of casters, support units, and tier lists that will benefit each unit differently.

admanb on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    cinerators also have 8 boxes and are 5 for L+2 or 8 for L+4

who the hell thinks those are bad?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ValhallaValhalla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Anybody mind posting the stats on the Avalancher? My computer seems to be hating on me right now. It must be because Im new :?

Valhalla on
    wtf.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's an ARM 21, RAT 5 jack with a RNG 15, AOE 3, pow 14 gun. That's really it.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Valhalla wrote: »
    Anybody mind posting the stats on the Avalancher? My computer seems to be hating on me right now. It must be because Im new :?

SPD4 RAT5 ARM19+2 (shield). Gun is RNG 15 POW 14 AOE3.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Poop.

admanb on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    It's an ARM 21, RAT 5 jack with a RNG 15, AOE 3, pow 14 gun. That's really it.

that's really damn good

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That sound you hear?

Madhammer wanking over it.

As hard as he can.

EDIT: Huh, I didn't think about the Combo with Thor. Pronto it to get the free movement out of it, and you can keep the aiming bonus as well.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I do find it funny that it's basically a Devastator, but better.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wow thats an evil, evil combination with Durgen's feat.

Valhalla on
    wtf.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I'm new to Warmachine. My brother, two of our friends, and I have all decided we are rather tired of 40k and so we've been playing Mangled Metal games to get ourselves used to the rules. I have taken a liking to the Khador play stlye, look, and fluff. Right now I'm getting a plastic 'jack set, and the Khador cards tommorow or sunday. I have the rules, and the pre-realese PDF cards. (though these are missing at least the Decimator heavy jack)

To the questions. I've seen people mention that Khador is an infantry army when you play top-tier. Is this because they just don't have any focus monkey warcasters? (like the harbringer... goddamn that bitch lol) Or is the Winter guard that good?

Also, MoW's look good on paper, which (shocktroopers or demos) are more widely used and liked?

I'd personally like to run either a balanced list between 'jacks and infantry, or a more 'jack heavy force. I've spent a lot of time looking at the casters, and Zerkova looks like the best for a 'jack force to my noob eyes. She has more focus than just about any of the other khador casters. At the same time, Karchev is tempting simply because I tend to be stupidly aggressive with my casters, and he seems like a good canidate for that.

What would really be awesome is if someone could show me what the typical Khador list looks like, and maybe give me some pointers to build my own. Thanks a ton.

Valhalla on
    wtf.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT read the official Privateer Press boards if you want any sort of advice about this game. Come here, for God's sake, and myself or another experienced player with a relatively unbiased opinion will give you what you need to know.

Khador is a very internally balanced army. They have a lot of options at any given time, and I find that they work best with a careful balance of warjacks and infantry.

The Man O War unit you pick is really up to your particular mood. If you want a nigh unbreakable line of metal, take Shocktroopers. If you want to ream some troops or warjacks, take Demolition Corps.

Take Karchev. He's far less difficult to play effectively, since his style is fairly straightforward. You will be frustrated by Zerkova's style in the beginning, since she requires a good knowledge of the game to operate efficiently.

Start at 25 pts. to get a feel for Karchev, and build on that when you figure out what the list is lacking.

For example:
    Karchev the Terrible
    -Juggernaut
    -Marauder
    -Berserker
    Man-O-War Demolition Corps. x3
    Widowmakers
    25/25

From here, you might want a core unit like Winter Guard who have access to things that make the unit more self sufficient (The logic here being that Karchev cannot support troops, so it is best to take troops that support themselves), or Iron Fang Pikemen who are great holding a line.

A 35 pt. list I would make might be:

Karchev
    -Juggernaut
    -Marauder
    -Berserker
    Man-O-War Demolition Corps. x5
    Greylord Ternion
    Widowmakers
    Battle Mechaniks x6
    35/35

Here you have the option to conceal Karchev when you're on the defense by using Blizzard on your Demolition Corps, as well as plenty of options for dealing with troop spam.

After that, you get Uhlans. A minimum unit of Uhlans will solve most any problem you can't solve with the rest of your army. With Karchev, everything is fodder to protect his battlegroup, so keep that in mind as well when making a list for him.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'll re-iterate it here. Stay away from the PP forums if you want sane, good advice. It's for your own good. ;)

That said, while Khador does have good troops, they have very good, very durable Warjacks in Mk II and most casters have means to support them now. Juggernauts are 7 points. 7 points!

Zerkova is all right. She's actually an anti-magic caster. Watcher is nice- it doesn't expire if you don't make an attack with it.

Personally, I think the best Jack casters in Khador are currentky Karchev and Butcher, either form. Epic Irusk comes in close. There's a good chance the new caster, Strakhov, may be very good too.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Valhalla wrote: »
    So I'm new to Warmachine. My brother, two of our friends, and I have all decided we are rather tired of 40k and so we've been playing Mangled Metal games to get ourselves used to the rules. I have taken a liking to the Khador play stlye, look, and fluff. Right now I'm getting a plastic 'jack set, and the Khador cards tommorow or sunday. I have the rules, and the pre-realese PDF cards. (though these are missing at least the Decimator heavy jack)

To the questions. I've seen people mention that Khador is an infantry army when you play top-tier. Is this because they just don't have any focus monkey warcasters? (like the harbringer... goddamn that bitch lol) Or is the Winter guard that good?

It's a complex thing. Being an effective 'jack caster is less about raw focus and more about focus efficiency and focus support. Most casters are at most two focus away from each other, with Harby being the disturbing exception. From the perspective of Cygnar, we have one highly effective 'jack caster -- eNemo, but his focus stat is only seven and he relies on a pile of upkeep spells, so what's up with that? Part of it is his feat, which allows one turn of explosive focus, but that's just one turn. A bigger part of it is the amount of focus support that Cygnar can muster: Stormblades with a Stormclad give a bonus focus, Arlan Strangeways gives a bonus focus, and the Squire gives a bonus focus.

Menoth can run 'jack heavy with low focus casters too, Vassals give a bonus attack (equivalent of one focus), Wracks give bonus focus, the Reclaimer can give bonus focus, and Hierophants reduce spell cost. That's a lot of focus support.

However, the other method is focus efficiency, and that's where a couple of Khador casters shine. Focus efficiency comes from spells that give a calculable bonus greater than the focus they cost, and the bonus scales with the number of affected 'jacks. Full Throttle, for example, costs the Butcher three focus, but gives a bonus of anywhere from 1-5 focus for each 'jack affected. The more 'jacks you have, the more you're getting out of your three focus. Karchev's Unearthly Rage can be even better.
    Also, MoW's look good on paper, which (shocktroopers or demos) are more widely used and liked?

Shocktroopers, I believe. ARM21 with eight boxes is hard to beat.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, I got the last post in, but I think it was a unique contribution so pbbbbbbt.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    adman you're a poopyface.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Am I on the PP forums?

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Who isn't? I don't have the balls to go to the degree my friend does there, though. It's glorious.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok I grabbed my MK II book and a Khador deck on my way home from work :)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So...is this game played primarily with figures or cards...or both?

Jester313 on