As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game of the Decade] RESULTS IN OP

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i don't believe in opinions. i believe in theory, though, and in my current understanding of interactive narrative theory half life 2 did everything wrong

edit: note that there can be other theories

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes, it's very clear how enamored you are with theory.

august on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yay for bsjezz arguing the points I decided it would be too frustrating to argue myself.

Speed Racer on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »
    but everything revolves around him

the other characters talk at this vacant space

they stare at it, expecting a response. (which you do eventually, if only by being railroaded by the environment)

it was wholly uncanny and done out of some stubborn, misguided belief about 'immersion'. again, that silent protagonist could work well if the world was open enough to create your own scenarios, to role-play a bit, but everything else was so scripted that it makes no sense to use it at all. it was the wrong tool for the kind of experience they were going for and it ruined the game.

The protagonist being silent ruined the game? Huh?

And half-life has never been about creating your own story. There are sandbox games and then there are narrative driven games. Railroading is not always bad.

as i said, it's not his being silent and more his complete lack of characterization. he is nothing, he represents nothing, he has no values or ambition or perspective (other than the stricly literal one). he is floating eyes and it feels like that

and i know it's not about creating your own story - that's why the silent protagonist is the wrong choice (it's a set world, a narrative world, not a vastly open one). and yes, good storytelling is all about the railroading. there needs to be an author to set the context, to set the events, to set the conclusion and to try to pass on what it all means.

the author also needs to set the protagonist, who is the yardstick to which the external events are measured. he is the foil for the other characters, the centre-post for the story's great change, the first point of translation between the story's world and the audience.

but really half life 2 has no protagonist. and it suffers

edit: i've had this exact discussion at least twice before and i don't really care to have it again. all i wanted to talk about was the difference between story and plot, damnit

Not true, naturally all this is correct with movies or literature, you need that anchor, but being an interactive medium, not all this is required.

We have what we need from the protagonist. He is Gordon Freeman, a scientist, and person adapt at combat. He is connected to the various characters because of the previous game, and the exploits of the previous game frame him in this second one (messianic figure, savior, etc.) . You as the player are left to fill everything else out through the length of the game. It also helps that Gordon himself is a pawn both mechanically and narratively.

I have the partner book 'Raising the Bar' at home, and Gabe Newell actually goes into some length about this in there. May have to bring that into this when I get home, but this was the jist of his idea. They remove the layers of the protagonist so the player becomes it. They provide enough anchor so there can be narrative surrounding the protagonist, but leave the rest out for immersive value.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited January 2010
    Not true, naturally all this is correct with movies or literature, you need that anchor, but being an interactive medium, not all this is required.

you're using the term 'interactive' pretty loosely there. in an experience so scripted as that of half life 2's, it is indeed just as correct as it is with movies and literature

again, if we were talking some giant open world where your actions as a player had consequence over the experience that played out, i might agree

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited January 2010

you're using the term 'interactive' pretty loosely there. in an experience so scripted as that of half life 2's, it's just as correct as it is with movies and literature

again, if we were talking some giant open world where your actions as a player had consequence over the experience that played out, i might agree

There doesn't need to be an open game world, just the perception of one.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
    edited January 2010

you're using the term 'interactive' pretty loosely there. in an experience so scripted as that of half life 2's, it's just as correct as it is with movies and literature

you'd have to be half-blind and missing a 'W' key to ever get the idea half-life 2 has an open world

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yay for bsjezz arguing the points I decided it would be too frustrating to argue myself.

Hi5. Bsjezz, for the record I think the points you're dropping are correct.

Leitner on
    edited January 2010

you'd have to be half-blind and missing a 'W' key to ever get the idea half-life 2 has an open world

That's basic level stuff. The idea is that you and the story are all set within a wider world. When you first step out from the train, and then the train station at the beginning of the game, right up to the assault on the Citadel, everything there is to give the perception of being in a larger world. These individual areas are boxed and separated, but the idea is there. That's what all narrative FPS's attempt to do. Half-Life 2 is generally regarded as doing this successfully

Basic game design 101 ITT

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Lithium SpadeLithium Spade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In the end theory is just a posh way of saying opinion.

And in this case both theories have their merits.

However i've extensively read Raising The Bar, and whilst i remember the section you're talking about, I remember reading it and thinking that it didn't in any way help. No amount of explanation why i SHOULD feel attached could MAKE me feel that.

It's especially pronounced in Episode 2, there's a bit where that other scientist guy is shouting at you over the intercom that he needs to know if you're alive (it's near the end of the game) and of course, you don't respond. It feels very robotic and pointless.

Lithium Spade on
    LithiumSpade.png
    edited January 2010
    In the end theory is just a posh way of saying opinion.

And in this case both theories have their merits.

However i've extensively read Raising The Bar, and whilst i remember the section you're talking about, I remember reading it and thinking that it didn't in any way help. No amount of explanation why i SHOULD feel attached could MAKE me feel that.

It's especially pronounced in Episode 2, there's a bit where that other scientist guy is shouting at you over the intercom that he needs to know if you're alive (it's near the end of the game) and of course, you don't respond. It feels very robotic and pointless.

Well yeah, I think there are many instances where the developer team actively poke fun at Gordon's muteness. Alyx comments on it a few times, people say things like 'a man of few words eh?', and the scene you mentioned. It's just some meta-humor.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
    edited January 2010
    That's basic level stuff. The idea is that you and the story are all set within a wider world. When you first step out from the train, and then the train station at the beginning of the game, right up to the assault on the Citadel, everything there is to give the perception of being in a larger world. These individual areas are boxed and separated, but the idea is there. That's what all narrative FPS's attempt to do. Half-Life 2 is generally regarded as doing this successfully

we've come too far as gamers to not instantly need to understand not the limits of the world as a place, but the limits of our ability as gamers. as soon as i set foot in a game i will seek to know whether it's one where i am either the creator of the experience, the storyteller (see the sims, fallout 3) or one in which i'm going to be told a story (uncharted 2, half-life 2). no matter what valve wants to do with 'immersion' they've still created a game where they have to accept ultimate authorial control, and any player immersion is only ever going to be in the shadow of their own scripting

this is why i think newell's arguments are flawed - and why the game was so flat and uninteresting to me and a lot of other players. they put immersion before their responsibility as storytellers

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited January 2010

we've come too far as gamers to not instantly need to understand not the limits of the world as a place, but the limits of our ability as gamers. as soon as i set foot in a game i will seek to know whether it's one where i am either the creator of the experience, the storyteller (see the sims, fallout 3) or one in which i'm going to be told a story (uncharted 2, half-life 2). no matter what valve wants to do with 'immersion' they've still created a game where they have to accept ultimate authorial control, and any player immersion is only ever going to be in the shadow of their own scripting

this is why i think newell's arguments are flawed - and why the game was so flat and uninteresting to me and a lot of other players

Ok, but you have to look at it in the scope of a narrative game. No, Half-Life is not a sandbox game, but that is not a bad thing. Gabe Newell is speaking within the confines of a linear, narrative experience, this is presumed.

I can understand why people don't like Half-Life and might prefer something like Grand Theft Auto, they're obviously providing two different experiences. But don't knock Half-Life for the experience it is delivering just because it is different and is made with a different intention in mind.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
    edited January 2010
    Ok, but you have to look at it in the scope of a narrative game. No, Half-Life is not a sandbox game, but that is not a bad thing. Gabe Newell is speaking within the confines of a linear, narrative experience, this is presumed.

I can understand why people don't like Half-Life and might prefer something like Grand Theft Auto, they're obviously providing two different experiences. But don't knock Half-Life for the experience it is delivering just because it is different and is made with a different intention in mind.

no no no, don't misunderstand me, i love narrative games. uncharted: drakes fortune was my game of the decade, and that was scripted beyond compare. but the key difference is that it had a central character with emotions, a distinct voice, flaws; a central character who developed as the plot did. it was also very much immersive, as much as a narrative game can be, because the excellently presented traditional cinematic context gave the gameplay sections real weight and importance

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have very little success attaching myself to protagonists in video games. Most of them are such horrid caricatures of real human beings that I'd much more prefer that they just shut the fuck up. Gordon on the other hand is an MIT grad (I'm a science geek, graduated from a similar school in Massachusetts), generally a regular, uninteresting person, but when he gets the HEV suit, and progresses through the stories of Half Life 1 and 2, he becomes something interesting. Just because you never hear him talk doesn't mean he's not there. Use your imagination. I did.

I guess my argument boils down to how I was able to become engrossed in the story, because of minor similarities between myself and the protagonist's back story. If your life was dissimilar to mine (pretty likely), you probably wouldn't get as much out of it as I did.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited January 2010

this is why i think newell's arguments are flawed - and why the game was so flat and uninteresting to me and a lot of other players

I think the problem people have is that they feel that the intention hasn't translated into an idea that works for them. If i think of my favourite linear first and third person shooters, I always felt i was playing as someone within the narrative who actively changed things. Half Life 2 always felt like things simply happened to me and all i was doing was not dying. Like it could be any person, that this person has no motivation to do this as he has no connection to the characters.

If that was their intention, then maybe they were making a game that I could never like. Even in Zelda you get Yes/No choices from time to time.

Lithium Spade on
    LithiumSpade.png
    edited January 2010
    SlayerVin is right, he is an MIT scientist in the presence of a woman most of the game, he probably isn't going to speak a lot in fear of stuttering or something

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    and was definitely inspired and built upon generations of PC games
    If by that, you mean, Gears of War.

No, I don't, because that would be pretty fucking stupid.

I mean, the only thing you took from ME was the cover system? Which wasn't even very important to begin with?
    by a developer with a strong and bountiful history of PC gaming.

And by this, that it was released by a developer that released a PC classic in 1998 and another in 2000.

Well, there are a couple more than 2... And almost all of those games below were released at one time or another.
    biowaregames.jpg

They were also involved in IWD and PST.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was pretty disappointed that Warcraft 3 made it on that list.

In my opinion, the only reason it should make it on there is the custom maps like DotA (fuck, DotA is so popular it has its own game now). The gameplay of Warcraft 3 was boring as fuck. Woohoo, four races, perfectly balanced? Oh right, thats because every race is 95% the same.

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2010
    and was definitely inspired and built upon generations of PC games
    If by that, you mean, Gears of War.

No, I don't, because that would be pretty fucking stupid.
    by a developer with a strong and bountiful history of PC gaming.

And by this, that it was released by a developer that released a PC classic in 1998 and another in 2000.

Wow, you really suck at math:
    biowaregames.jpg

They were also involved in IWD and PST.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I realise that this doesn't disprove your point, but you really can't use MDK 1 or 2 (Not made by Bioware), or Star Wars The Old Republic (Not out when Mass Effect came out), or Sonic (Not PC), or Dragon Age (Also not out).

EDIT: Okay, you can have MDK 2. Not really a PC classic tho, i'd argue. I mean it was good, but not Neverwinter Nights good.

Lithium Spade on
    LithiumSpade.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wonder how different the list would look if we had to exclude games with cliffhanger endings and/or non-endings.

That aside, Half-Life 2's story has been built up so much that any possible explanation of who or what the G-Man is will undoubtedly be disappointing. I say this as someone who was for the most part impressed by Valve's scene direction and dialogue. I do think there's a lot to like about the characters and the action, and facial animation had come a long way at the time. But I'd put money down that the big reveal about the G-Man will either be lame, confusing, or nonexistent.

Unless he's killed by Adrian Shephard all of a sudden. I would fucking cheer.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Adrian Shepherd should totally re-appear in a badass way.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy Shiek, the only one of my votes that got into the top ten was Portal, and that one wasn't in my top 5. Incredible.

I didn't care for RE4, BTW.

RockinX on
    edited January 2010
    I love Portal and everything, but I think it's rated a little too highly.

After all, it's really just a short puzzle/adventure Half-Life addon. I wouldn't say it has much in the way of replayability. Though yes, it started the whole cake thing.

Stigma on
    edited January 2010
    Stolls wrote: »
    I wonder how different the list would look if we had to exclude games with cliffhanger endings and/or non-endings.

That aside, Half-Life 2's story has been built up so much that any possible explanation of who or what the G-Man is will undoubtedly be disappointing. I say this as someone who was for the most part impressed by Valve's scene direction and dialogue. I do think there's a lot to like about the characters and the action, and facial animation had come a long way at the time. But I'd put money down that the big reveal about the G-Man will either be lame, confusing, or nonexistent.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Gordon was G-Man. After all
    Vortigaunts can travel through time, why not Gordon?

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited January 2010
    SlayerVin wrote: »

Holy shit I think you're right!

Stigma on
    edited January 2010
    Portal has ruined the ability to use the word cake. We need to take it back, that was a perfectly good word.

That aside, it was a fun and very well designed puzzle game, but I beat it once and haven't been back since.

Stolls on
    edited January 2010
    Exactly, and I'm sure most people treat it the same way. While a totally pleasant experience and quite a nice thing to get for 'free' in a collection. I wouldn't put it in the top ten games of the decade when standing on it's own.
    The GTA series alone would push it down quite a bit in my opinion. Sadly I didn't vote so my opinion doesn't matter.

Stigma on
    edited January 2010
    Portal has ruined the ability to use the word cake. We need to take it back, that was a perfectly good word.

That's a lie.

RockinX on
    edited January 2010
    RockinX wrote: »

That's a lie.

What's a lie?

Stigma on
    edited January 2010
    Stigma wrote: »

That's a lie.

What's a lie?

I'll tell you what's not a lie.

Robot Hell.

Stolls on
    edited January 2010

I figure either it's that, or Gordon is G-Man's employer.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, there are a couple more than 2... And almost all of those games below were released at one time or another.
    biowaregames.jpg[IMG][/img]

MDK and Sonic are PC classics, eh?

And you realise that Mass Effect is about as much a "PC game" as Halo, Gears, or FF7. Those are all perfectly fine games, but people would laugh if you called them PC classics.
    They were also involved in IWD and PST.

They programmed the engine they ran on, yes.

What Bioware does have a long tradition of is porting consolized RPGs to the PC.
    Since you took my comments literally, I"ll plainly state what my original point was: NWN sucked balls and Kotor is mediocre

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Portal was a good chunk of fun and very innovative, but there's no way it belonged on a top 25 list let alone top 10.

Dhalphir on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

futurama_fry_looking_squint.jpg

How original, Valve.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Portal was a good chunk of fun and very innovative, but there's no way it belonged on a top 25 list let alone top 10.

Ah, geez. You may be torn apart for such a statement, maybe even banned.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
    edited January 2010

Yet, it made it to the top three!

RockinX on
    edited January 2010

That's a lie.

What's a lie?

The cake is a lie.

Stigma on
    edited January 2010

Ah, geez. You may be torn apart for such a statement, maybe even banned.

It always struck me as more of an extra-long tech demo, rather than just a short game. If it had been a mod for Half Life 2 it would have been amazing, but from a company its just very good.

I'm not disputing the quality of it, nor the entertainment value. I had a great time playing it.

But does it REALLY belong above Team Fortress 2? Or above Deus Ex, Counterstrike, or Halo?

Dhalphir on
    edited January 2010

I figure either it's that, or Gordon is G-Man's employer.

Personally, I think Barney is the G-Man. For one, they have the same voice actor. Two, that quote when he hands you the crowbar: "You left this back at Black Mesa!" No, you didn't. You left it in the Xen borderworld! So basically there's my conclusive argument :P

Lithium Spade on
    LithiumSpade.png