As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Bible

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Always ask for directions when lost. Wandering the city lost because of some stupid pride issue is just dumb. We're not a bunch of assholes here and we do give tourists directions without screwing with them. Calling it the T when you're a tourist isn't a big deal, we're not going to start over analyzing why you know the name but not where a station is. You can call it the subway and we'll still know what your talking about and it won't make any difference in the reaction you get. I get asked for directions almost daily and offer help to tourists who are clearly lost and I'm not the only one doing this here.

VisionOfClarity on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OneJD wrote: »
    Wrong. Under no circumstances should you be playing your PSP in public anyway.

Do you mean in Boston, or anywhere? Because it's not illegal here, or people don't steal them. Frankly, I'm not sure why you said you shouldn't be playing it in public.

Djiem on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Djiem wrote: »
    OneJD wrote: »
    Wrong. Under no circumstances should you be playing your PSP in public anyway.

Do you mean in Boston, or anywhere? Because it's not illegal here, or people don't steal them. Frankly, I'm not sure why you said you shouldn't be playing it in public.

It's because everyones a thief! You should be always watching your back and always have your taser and pepper spray with in arms length.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Because if you get spotted playing it in public, word will spread among the cool people that you're a nerd and they won't let into their trendy bars and Tom Cruise won't talk to you and you might as well be wearing a goddamn Pokemon shirt!

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Guys, I locked the bar crawl thread for a reason, don't carry it over into this thread too or I'm going to have to start tossing out infractions.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DwayneDaysDwayneDays __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    why was it locked? just wondering

DwayneDays on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    DwayneDays.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DwayneDays wrote: »
    First off is fenway open at all in march for tours or anything etc?

Also what bars should I visit if im looking to finally get into a full sweet caroline chant?

Come back during the regular season and go to a game. Or see a Neil Diamond concert in the city.

Im sure if I stay early enough in the ams I can get into a drunken sweet caroline sing along at some point! Is Sam Adams cheap there? Because here in PA im paying 4-5 bucks a draft 2-3 bucks a bottle

Most beers in Boston are going to be around $5 a draft give or take $0.50.

But if you come over to the Pour House they have 20 oz drafts for $5.50.

Also, FWIW I find Fire and ice to be very enjoyable. I'm not going in there expecting 5 star gourmet food, I know exactly what I'm getting - all I can eat, grilled food of my choosing for $17.

This area of Boston isn't the ghetto. The whole area is well lit, populated, and safe. There aren't any more drunks or druggies on Boylston St than there are on most college campuses in America. People don't hate tourists here, and most will help if you ask for directions. Some of the shit circulating on here is pretty ridiculous.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Im actually more excited to finally visit fenway then go to the convention CANNOT WAIT!

EDIT: Just scoped it tours are 12 bucks and run on the hour every hour from 9-3, <3

Dwayne, get with me at some point in the immediate future this is #1 on my list (#2 is the con)

I've wanted to see Fenway since I was 12 years old and have yet to get the chance.

It really is special walking out there and seeing the green

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • RobinHood3000RobinHood3000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For any Miyazaki fans, a couple doors down from the aforementioned Garage is a Japanese import store - goes down a flight of stairs, lots of imported Miyazaki and other Japanese film merchandise. I bought my girlfriend a Catbus hoodie there, the guy who runs it really knows his stuff.

RobinHood3000 on
  • inecatherinecather Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Some of the shit circulating on here is pretty ridiculous.

/agree

You will all enjoy your time in Boston!! It's a city - so don't be dumb - and you'll be fine.

inecather on
    edited January 2010
    First off is fenway open at all in march for tours or anything etc?

Also what bars should I visit if im looking to finally get into a full sweet caroline chant?

Come back during the regular season and go to a game. Or see a Neil Diamond concert in the city.

Im sure if I stay early enough in the ams I can get into a drunken sweet caroline sing along at some point! Is Sam Adams cheap there? Because here in PA im paying 4-5 bucks a draft 2-3 bucks a bottle

Most beers in Boston are going to be around $5 a draft give or take $0.50.

But if you come over to the Pour House they have 20 oz drafts for $5.50.

Also, FWIW I find Fire and ice to be very enjoyable. I'm not going in there expecting 5 star gourmet food, I know exactly what I'm getting - all I can eat, grilled food of my choosing for $17.

This area of Boston isn't the ghetto. The whole area is well lit, populated, and safe. There aren't any more drunks or druggies on Boylston St than there are on most college campuses in America. People don't hate tourists here, and most will help if you ask for directions. Some of the shit circulating on here is pretty ridiculous.

I'd love to do a 5 star place but most PAXers aren't foodies and are looking to conserve their funds- which makes total sense. If you're only getting one plate you're probably not going to enjoy Fire & ice after your first visit. If you eat more than one plate you're getting a pretty good deal and will love the place.

VisionOfClarity on
  • goldsaturngoldsaturn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I saw someone mention the North End, which is my favorite part of the city to eat in. I thought I'd share a couple tips.

First, to get there, get off the T at Haymarket(Green Line, some Green Line trains only go as far as Government Center. Get off at Gov. Center and transfer to a North Station or Lechmere train going the same direction.)
    The North End is the historically Italian part of Boston. I'm not a native of Boston, but when I've been in the North End, I've noticed that the restaurants on Hanover St., which is the main avenue through the North End, tend to be more expensive, with dinner meals costing $23-$28 per plate, while the streets that branch off of Hanover and those that run parallel to Hanover, because they are less accessable charge less, closer to $11-$15. I've found that getting to the North end and choosing a restaurant early 4-4:30 will prevent having to wait an hour to and hour and a half (usually outside since there's no space to stand around inside).
    I would recommend holding off on ordering dessert at the restaurant, and instead hit up Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry on Hanover street. Both offer a wide selection of Cannoli's and other sweets. Mike's is more famous and offer's a wider selection, but my girlfriend and I have pretty much decided that Modern Pastry produces a tastier cannoli.
    Restaurants we have eaten at and enjoyed:
    Artu
    Al Dente
    Saraceno

Honestly, everywhere always looks tasty, the trick is finding somewhere that is within budget, has something you like on the menu, and isn't currently covered up with people.

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention Quincy Market, which is sortof like an open air mall food court. For fast and inexpensive (for boston) meals it might not be bad. There are a lot of different types of food to choose from. Going here might be a good way to get away from PAX crowds, but still eat quickly. This is close to the Gov. Center and Haymarket stop.
    http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/

Oh, and Annas Taqueria is a local 'tex-mex' style chain with a similar format to chipotle or qdoba, but arguably tastier and more authentic. There are several around Boston that might be near somewhere you are going to be: http://www.annastaqueria.com/ Looks like the nearest one to Hynes is near Mass General Hospital (MGH)

Argh. Got off topic. Hope some of this helps.

goldsaturn on
    edited January 2010
    Don't go to Mike or Modern, go to Bova's. You can thank me later.

VisionOfClarity on
  • judzillahjudzillah Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    If anybody has some extra time while in Boston, I would suggest trying candlepin bowling. It's a uniquely New England game that you can't really find other places, and it's really fun and easy. Think regular bowling but with bocce balls and narrow skinny pins. Sacco's in Davis Square is accessible by T on the red line.

judzillah on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    inecather wrote: »
    It's a city - so don't be dumb - and you'll be fine.
    I'm not trying to pick on you, and there's nothing wrong with saying this . . .

but I don't know what this means. Or to put that another way, I worry that I lack a set of basic city-survival instincts and reactions that other, experienced big-city-dwellers feel are common sense. (OK in reality I don't think I do, but others might. Imagine an attendee coming from a small town where it's normal to leave your front door unlocked.)

It's nobody's responsibility to necessarily provide this extra help, but I think it'd be helpful to get a trimmed down, unobjectionable set of big-city safety guidelines that won't be insulting to attendees or to Boston residents and won't trigger a huge debate.

Keep in mind as well, after a while PAX tends to temporarily warp your perception of social norms. After three days, until you see "normal people" counterexamples and your mind readjusts EVERYONE is a gamer until proven otherwise.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • kevbayerkevbayer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lots (I mean, seriously - a metric frak ton) of good helpful info here. Any idea when it will be condensed and organized into a nice handy bible for us PAX/Boston noobs?

Also: how do locals pronounce "Boylston"? I'm guessing if I pronounce it "boilztun" I'd be wrong? :-)

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    My book reviews, twitter, FB.
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mspencer wrote: »

but I don't know what this means. Or to put that another way, I worry that I lack a set of basic city-survival instincts and reactions that other, experienced big-city-dwellers feel are common sense. (OK in reality I don't think I do, but others might. Imagine an attendee coming from a small town where it's normal to leave your front door unlocked.)

It's nobody's responsibility to necessarily provide this extra help, but I think it'd be helpful to get a trimmed down, unobjectionable set of big-city safety guidelines that won't be insulting to attendees or to Boston residents and won't trigger a huge debate.

Keep in mind as well, after a while PAX tends to temporarily warp your perception of social norms. After three days, until you see "normal people" counterexamples and your mind readjusts EVERYONE is a gamer until proven otherwise.

I mean, I don't think it's anything above and beyond common sense. Don't go places alone at night (or even in general, because it sucks to get lost by yourself) if you can avoid it, keep track of your valuables/electronics, don't get wasted by yourself in strange places.

People here are friendly enough. Few people are legitimately going out of their way to screw random strangers over, and there isn't any kind of overt tourist-hating that I'm aware of. Just act like a rational human being and you'll be fine.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mspencer wrote: »

I mean, I don't think it's anything above and beyond common sense. Don't go places alone at night (or even in general, because it sucks to get lost by yourself) if you can avoid it, keep track of your valuables/electronics, don't get wasted by yourself in strange places.

People here are friendly enough. Few people are legitimately going out of their way to screw random strangers over, and there isn't any kind of overt tourist-hating that I'm aware of. Just act like a rational human being and you'll be fine.

People make cities sound like this big, scary and alien experience, but it's really not. It's just a tad bigger and more confusing. "Don't be dumb and you'll be fine" is pretty much all the "survival" advice you'll need. What you should concentrate on is finding advice to more effectively enjoy your time over there, like, what restaurants to go to, what transportation method is the best, etc.

Djiem on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    First time posting here, forgive me if I'm repeating something...

I grew up North of Boston and went to College there. Now I live right outside it and have worked downtown and currently work in the Seaport area.

I would just like to warn people about the weather. Look it up and plan. Some times looking at the weather in NY or Jersey helps show you what will be hitting Boston later. (those clouds move right up the coast)

March is also funky. We may have some warmer temperatures or it might still be really cold. We have had snow in April. Bring an umbrella even if it says it will be sunny. Bring a jacket even if it says it's going to be 80F. Things like that.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    That has been said before, but warnings about the weather can never be repeated too much, especially towards our friends from more temperate climates.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• atf487atf487 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just a few misc thoughts:

-I'm a Massachusetts driver. If you're coming from New York/New Jersey, or Eastern PA, you'll probably be OK. But if you are from the south/midwest, watch out for these things:

1) Directionals (called blinkers here) are optional the majority of the time. Expect people to never use them
    2) No one actually goes the speed limit, ever (well, maybe if it's snowing). If you're traveling on the Mass Pike, 10mph over is very acceptable for the middle lane. Don't go in the left lane unless you want to go above that, you WILL be passed/tailgated by someone going 80+, I guarantee it.
    3) That being said, driving in Boston is more a question of navigation than anything else. I've driven in NYC, and while I'd say that's a much worse city to drive in, (it's more aggressive) it's really easy to find the streets you need to be on. If you're going to drive into Boston, have a few maps handy, DO NOT rely only on GPS. Also, have a few parking locations handy, in case you get lost trying to find the first one.
    4) NYC people: You can turn right on red here, and people will use it every chance that they get. Although if you're coming from NYC, I'd suggest taking the Bolt Bus/Megabus, as it's super cheap and will take you to South Station
    5) The construction stuff is a bit of a myth, but even without the detours, Boston is a messy labyrinth of streets.

Essentially, if you're driving, expect the other drivers to be totally inept or huge dicks. That way, you're prepared for whatever shit they might pull. I think in general that Bostonians are reserved and nice people, but those traits don't carry over to motor vehicle operation.

If you want to drive the majority of the way, but not in the city, you could drive into a commuter rail stop or a T stop. From personal experience, the Riverside stop on the Green Line has a lot of parking, but I'm actually not sure if you have to pay for it. Hynes is on the Green Line though, so it would be relatively convenient.

As for public transit, it's pretty solid for the size of the city, but it's still far from perfect. If you're out and about and the T stops running (12:30, IIRC), you better have money for a taxi.

T (Subway): Don't be worried about navigating it, it's color coded and SO SIMPLE. You could probably just stay on the Green Line if you didn't want to explore too much, but at the very least you should hit up Cambridge (Red Line). Others can provide much better food/tourist destinations than I can.

Bus: Honestly, I've never used the bus

Commuter Rail: The commuter rail is convenient if you are staying with friends that live a fair bit outside of Boston, but its last train leaves an hour earlier than the T, so I'd recommend it only if you plan to get to bed early/do stuff outside of Boston. It's also much more expensive, and the trains are a lot less frequent.

Walking: Boston isn't a massive city; if the weather is nice you could spend the day walking around. Oh, and count the number of Dunkin Donuts stores that you see. It's pretty remarkable.

What else? I'd say that if you like good music, indie rock juggernauts Spoon and Deerhunter will be playing on the 27th at the House of Blues. The location is right next to Fenway Park, a relatively short T ride away from PAX. Hopefully I'll be there. Also, Beach House is playing the next day at the Paradise.

atf487 on
    ATF360.png
  • LonoLono Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    More in the direction of PAX and what it entails, here's a PDF brochure for the Hynes Convention Center, with maps and such. It should give you a better feel for the setup and layout of the center, and what facilities it offers.

Lono on
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fantastic find, Lono. If anyone is familiar with the Hynes and could take a look at page 20 of this brochure, where there is a giant map of the complex, could someone tell me if the huge light purple area is indoors or outdoors? I was having a hard time telling whether that is just Hynes complex property or an actual building. If so, I am amazed at the massive size of this place...

Gundabad on
  • KHarvey16KHarvey16 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gundabad wrote: »
    Fantastic find, Lono. If anyone is familiar with the Hynes and could take a look at page 20 of this brochure, where there is a giant map of the complex, could someone tell me if the huge light purple area is indoors or outdoors? I was having a hard time telling whether that is just Hynes complex property or an actual building. If so, I am amazed at the massive size of this place...

The purple is the Prudential Mall, which is safely indoors :). Across the (also enclosed)footbridge over Huntington Ave you'll find another mall, Copley Place. That one is a little classier as it seems to cater to the business types staying in the hotel(s).

KHarvey16 on
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ok cool. I could swear this was asked once before but could not find the post, but is there a certain point when the entrances to these malls (and footbridges) close? Wouldn't kill me to walk 2 blocks outside late at night I know, but if I could cut through between the hotels at any time it'd be convenient.

Gundabad on
    edited January 2010
    KHarvey16 wrote: »

The purple is the Prudential Mall, which is safely indoors :). Across the (also enclosed)footbridge over Huntington Ave you'll find another mall, Copley Place. That one is a little classier as it seems to cater to the business types staying in the hotel(s).

Yeah everything on that map in color can be accessed without going outside, as can the Lord and Taylor department store and the Back Bay train Station (right border of the map on page 20 with a green and orange T symbol, indicating stops on the orange and green lines as well as Amtrak and commuter rail service) and the Prudential Green Line T stop (E branch).

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    edited January 2010
    Ok cool. I could swear this was asked once before but could not find the post, but is there a certain point when the entrances to these malls (and footbridges) close? Wouldn't kill me to walk 2 blocks outside late at night I know, but if I could cut through between the hotels at any time it'd be convenient.

Don't take this as a definite because I'm not 100%, but I believe the footbridge is open until around midnight. Restaurants in both Copley Place and The Pru are open until about 11:30 or midnight I believe and if I remember correctly you are free to walk through the mall. Even if this isn't the case though, the area is generally very well lit and heavily populated. There's plenty of traffic, both cars and feet.

KHarvey16 on
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The mall is not a 24 hour mall. I do not know the exact time the doors are locked (yes, locked) but it's a safe bet that you don't want to be outside the mall after 2am as the only way back in is through a hotel entrance. The stores close long before that, though.
    That is a general problem with Boston in that it's not a 24 hour city.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Details and opening hours for the Prudential Center here: http://www.prudentialcenter.com/

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    Details and opening hours for the Prudential Center here: http://www.prudentialcenter.com/

Keep in mind though that the restaurants do not operate on the same hours and so the mall itself is still accessible past those times, just not any stores. The only way to know for sure when they lock the doors might be to call them up and ask.

KHarvey16 on
    edited January 2010
    undead wrote: »

Yeah this should be noted. Bars close at 2, subway stops running between midnight and 1. After that the only places to get alcohol are illegal "tea rooms" and you don't know enough to find one

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    undead wrote: »

Yeah this should be noted. Bars close at 2, subway stops running between midnight and 1. After that the only places to get alcohol are illegal "tea rooms" and you don't know enough to find one

After spending some time in NYC recently I hate how Boston closes at 2.

Atlus Parker on
    edited January 2010
    Did some scouting earlier. Was out with friends and just so happened that it was convenient to head through the hotel, the Pru and then through Copley Place at 10 after midnight to catch an orange line train home from Back Bay. Obviously stores were closed but both malls were open and we had no problem staying inside the whole time.

KHarvey16 on
  • personalmonikerpersonalmoniker Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Your mileage may vary, as my experience is from a stint at Anime Boston a few years back, but I was able to transition from the Sheraton/Hynes area to the attached hotels on the far side of the street until 1 or 2 in the morning. (I'll be honest, my memory gets a bit fuzzy at that point. >.>) The hotels that feed into the Pru/Copley Place don't lock those doors until really, really late if at all, but the outside doors all button up around 1 if memory serves.

personalmoniker on
    Please don't duck my barriers, it makes me sad!
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hello out there in Intertubes land!

I've been waiting for something like this to come to New England, so if any of you have any questions about the area, don't be bashful. I've lived all my life in Massachusetts, know the area relatively well (if I don't know about it, I know someone who does), and almost forgot...I'm going to PAX!

FYI: for all of those who are semi-enthusiastic about PAX, or bringing along someone who wants to do more than just see PAX, there's the Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Arts, and I assure you that for those of you that are picky eaters...you will NOT go hungry.

Anything else you want to know, post in the thread and I'll get to you as soon as I humanly can.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I spent most of my life in Massachusetts too, but haven't lived there for the last 6 years and I know a LOT can change in that time. Glad to see a local stepping up to share advice with everyone!

atiari on
    edited February 2010
    6 years? Well, they've mostly finished the Big Dig for starters. You going to PAX East?

acumen101 on

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Where can I get some great Boston-Cream Pie?

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    edited February 2010
    The Omni Parker House, which is one of America's oldest hotels and located near the Boston Common, invented it so if you're craving authenticity, go there, but it can be a bit pricey...

acumen101 on

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Im looking for a good bay area cafe type place to get a coffee and bagel or some such thing.

ZeroHourHero on
This discussion has been closed.