As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Week o Games, 1/24: No More Heroes 2, Tatsunoko v Capcom, Mass Effect 2, MAG

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology

Another week, another 7 days of new game releases!

Welcome to the 99 edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 1/24/10 - 1/30/10 !

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

NDS

181143brp.jpg

Legend of Kay *** may be getting release date shoved back

Number Battle
Horrible Histories: Ruthless Romans
Imagine: Party Planner
Playmobil Knights

PC

647568b.jpg

Mass Effect 2

Horrible Histories: Ruthless Romans

Hotel Giant 2

Legend of Vraz

PS3

270388b.jpg

MAG

PSP

190004b.jpg

Shadow of Destiny

Wii

230675b.jpg

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

230640b.jpg

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

bittos+ (wiiware)

Xbox360

200645b.jpg

Mass Effect 2

This is a great week!

The Wii is getting two awesome games this week:
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, the sequel to the popular, stylized, crazy action original by awesome/insane game designer Suda51. This one looks to improve on the original game in just about every conceivable way, so if you enjoyed NMH, get this game.

Wii is also getting Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, the latest in Capcom's "versus" series type of games. Take a bunch of your favorite street fighters, throw in some Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, Mega Man legends, Onimusha, viewtiful joe, Lost planet, Dead rising, Mega man X, and okami from capcom... and mix it with crazy shit from Tatsunoko, one of Japan's biggest anime companies. The game just looks awesome. And it's going to support online multiplayer! Woo!

Next up this great week is the Xbox 360 and PC game, Mass Effect 2. Sequel to the extremely popular 2007 game, this sequel will also improve on the original in almost every respect. BioWare tried to address a lot of complaints about the first one with this. There will be improved animation, graphics, and presentation, tons of more variety of weapons, and a bunch more awesome shit. You should be able to load your Mass Effect 1 save file to "continue" your previous character. This is going to be a great game.

Next up is MAG for PS3. This has been described as a massive online multiplayer shooter/action game developed by Zipper ( the SOCOM guys), and the big selling point is the up to 256 players online matches, divided into 8 squads. It sounds fun and I think there was a Beta to test it a while back but I haven't read much else about it.

What else this week. Well, the NDS gets a version of Legend of Kay, which I believe is a port of the fairly well-received action/platforming game from the PS2. Might be worth a look for platforming fans with DS's.

Coincidentally, the PSP is also get a PS2 port, as Shadow of Destiny comes out for it this week. A direct port of the PS2 game, this is a pretty well received adventure / puzzle game. Supposed to have a great plot, so adventure game fans should check it out!

I think that's it!

What's everyone getting?

slash000 on

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mass Effect 2 right away, and No More Heroes 2 very shortly after.

Renzo on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    oh my god mass effect 2.

"Qty Product Description

1 Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition-Xbox 360

augh two more days

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm gonna be broke. I already have my Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe version bought and preloaded. I'll probably snag Tatsunoko vs Capcom from Fry's on Tuesday morning (only $43). And I'll be grabbing No More Heroes 2 as well as soon as I find out who has it on sale.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If I still had a PSP, I'd be all over Shadow of Destiny. Loved that game on PS2.

Mass Effect 2 this week! Grabbing that on Friday.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I pre-ordered the Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition from GameStop, but I chose the free shipping option. So I'll probably have to wait a few more days after the actual release date to get it. :(

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Man... yikes... I don't know what I'm going to do...

I need to get No More Heroes 2 and I really, really need to get Tatsunoko v Capcom ... and Mass Effect 2... and I still need to get a few other games that I missed this past couple of weeks/fall like Silent Hill...

I'm going to have to shave that down I can really only afford 2 maybe 3 this week..

slash000 on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I will be picking up MAG and Mass Effect 2 more than likely. Good week.

corin7 on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I already have Tatsunoko vs Capcom half paid off at Gamestop...so that's what I'm getting this week. Woo! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    whoa. Desperate Struggle comes out this week?
    AND Tatsunoko?

I havent even bought Darksiders or Bayonetta yet!

Mass Effect 2 can wait.

This year is seriously gonna be the 1993 of video game releases for this generation. (If that makes any sense to anyone else)

delphinus on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This week is easy. Rent NMH2, beat it in three days, buy it in a few months when it is under $20.

Buy TvC, maybe a stick.

Ignore the crap out of the rest of the games that only silly geese would buy.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I bought NMH when it was $20. I figure I owe Grasshopper Manufacture some money.

And if you don't buy or at least play Mass Effect 2, you sir are the silly goose.

Renzo on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had no idea NMH2 was out so soon. I will get it eventually, but for now its just ME2. I can't even use a mouse because I broke two fingers on my right hand, but I don't care. I'd play ME2 with a bloody stump if I had to.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Renzo wrote: »
    I bought NMH when it was $20. I figure I owe Grasshopper Manufacture some money.

And if you don't buy or at least play Mass Effect 2, you sir are the silly goose.

No thanks, I was already fooled once by Jade Empire in Spaaaace. They aren't getting me a second time!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It...

It doesn't play anything like Jade Empire

Also it's good

Unlike Jade Empire

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mass Effect 2 here. Been my most anticipated game for years now.

My friend is always picking up TvC but I already played the import a while ago. Either way, it should be fun to play around with the new characters and online.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mass Effect 2 and Cap vs Tats on Tuesday, and NMH2 shortly after.

Expensive damn week.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Mass Effect 2 and Cap vs Tats on Tuesday, and NMH2 shortly after.

Expensive damn week.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. That's three awesome games that I need to get. Maybe I'll put ME2 off for a bit. I've really been just extremely anticipating NMH2 for a long long time. And Tat v Cap I figure will be one of those games I play on and off in bits for the next several months, like I do with most fighting games.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also I forgot to mention but it's basically time to retire the PS2 section of the OP. Last week was the Silent Hill port. But from here on out the PS2 weekly release list is going to be zilch for a long long time. Long time. And for the most part there's nothing on the board for the system except a few typical yearly sports releases, and inevitably the occasional PSP port (these usually pop up at the last minute).

To say that the weekly games releases for the PS2 are going to be sparse for the year is an understatement. It's basically going to be rehashes of sports games, licensed stuff, and PSP ports, and even then, the pickings are less than slim. With an extreme few exceptions. But even with everything tallied up it's still going to be like... a single game every month or every few months.

I'll post the PS2 releases when they come out, but as for having a PS2 "section" there's really no point, because almost every week I would only be posting "nothing" in the drop down spoiler list.

The PS2's life cycle may not be officially shut down, but practically speaking it might as well be.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    But but, Sakura Taisen V! and, and....

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What the hell, Konami?

I did not expect a Shadow of Destiny port to the PSP. It's a great adventure game but it didn't sell too well.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Haha, I'm going to Ethiopia so I don't have to buy ME2.

So long suckers.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ME2 and NMH2 for sure, the question for me is when.

Could probably save a few bucks if I do some Steam backlog clearing first!

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just recently beat Muramasa: the demon blade with the girls story on hard mode, now im going through with the guy's story. After that I've got my sights on wiping out silent hill off the backlog, ever since GiantBomb nominated it Best Game Ending for 2009. My way of proper backlog management, preventing it from over-overflowing, is to have a really good reasons to buy a game. I need a REALLY good reason, aside from money, to get a game during launch.

I have very little reason to pick up Mass Effect 2 right away, other than it being awesome. Bioware games have a history of aging very well due to their quality and polish (despite whether or not you hated Jade Empire).

My reasons for picking up Tatsu vs. Cap, is to stay with the curve of people learning the game.
    Reasons for picking up NMH2 is a bit more naive but whatever. Suda kept saying how disappointed he was about NMH's original release and said this would be his last game on wii (or something to that effect).
    So I'm picking it up to show my support of how much I enjoy a talented developer making quality games on the wii.

Is that Naive of me?

delphinus on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    delphinus wrote: »
    I just recently beat Muramasa: the demon blade with the girls story on hard mode, now im going through with the guy's story. After that I've got my sights on wiping out silent hill off the backlog, ever since GiantBomb nominated it Best Game Ending for 2009.

I have very little reason to pick up Mass Effect 2 right away, other than it being awesome. Bioware games have a history of aging very well due to their quality and polish (despite whether or not you hated Jade Empire).

My reasons for picking up Tatsu vs. Cap, is to stay with the curve of people learning the game.
    Reasons for picking up NMH2 is a bit more naive but whatever. Suda kept saying how disappointed he was about NMH's original release and said this would be his last game on wii (or something to that effect).
    So I'm picking it up to show my support of how much I enjoy a talented developer making quality games on the wii.

Is that Naive of me?

Not really...solid reasoning.

Though if fighting games have taught me anything as far as online goes.

While a decent amount of people will improve over time...most will not.

I can still hop on Blazblue after a few months hiatus and kick quite a lot of ass. Though, I am quite capable at the game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, you'll get some small percent of people getting better at fighting games over time, but definitely it seems the majority of people pick their favorite strategies and never really stray from them.

The great thing that SFIV had was the Championship mode, which pretty much set people into specific tiers of skill. That way once you got good enough to constnatly kick everyone's ass in one tier, you would move up to the next tier and fight a whole new set of people with more sophisticated skill and keep on improving. It was a pretty good system.

slash000 on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's very easy to be cynical and see that if say, a few thousand people bought Suda51's game, he'd still be upset. You're just a drop in the bucket.

But either way, I'm not sure.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    By the way, we typically mention good sales in here, right?

Right now at bestbuy.com, if you buy two 360 games that are on Platinum Hits, you get a third free. Free shipping on all three.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What is Horrible Histories? And why is it on the DS?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They turned the Horrible Histories book into a DS game?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I have no idea what the hell Horrible Histories is.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's a series of History Books for kids that focus on the gore and violence of past civilizations. I loved them.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah great books for kids. Also made them into a pretty decent kids TV show.

ME2, so much want, can't afford the time right now, maybe in a coupla months. Want to play through the first again beforehand too. But man, some of the reviews have been unbelievably positive, so resolve may crumble.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

ME2, so much want, can't afford the time right now, maybe in a coupla months. Want to play through the first again beforehand too. But man, some of the reviews have been unbelievably positive, so resolve may crumble.

JOIN US!

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A Playmobil video game? Where the fuck was that shit when I was ten? Goddammit I'm getting too old!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, consider me hoodwinked, The boxart for Legend of Kay is making me a very curious buyer.

Unfortunately, there isnt a lick of information about the game or a preview at gametrailers.

I swear doesnt anybody advertise video games any more?

Can you imagine how many sales NMH 1 would get if you just mentioned the first words the hero says in the game is "FUCK HEADS!!"?

delphinus on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

JOIN US!

Once my friends list is full of people all merrily Effecting Masses I'll stop delaying the inevitable.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh wow

I didn't even notice that they changed the terrible ME2 box art

Huzzah!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They both suck, but the new one is worse. I can hear it through my monitor.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    delphinus wrote: »
    Also, consider me hoodwinked, The boxart for Legend of Kay is making me a very curious buyer.

Unfortunately, there isnt a lick of information about the game or a preview at gametrailers.

I swear doesnt anybody advertise video games any more?

I can't find any info on the DS version. It seems to be somewhat of a port, I think, of the old PS2 original. The original ps2 game was pretty well received. Nevertheless, it's always odd to me when a game is released without so much as a peep from the publisher. No ads, okay, but nothing else either. There's no official screenshots, no press release, no trailer, no gameplay footage, not even on youtube. Even the legend of kay website doesn't mention it at all besides the original ps2 game...

Maybe this game is getting shoved back. Gamestop lists it as this week, but Amazon lists it as February.

Oh wow

I didn't even notice that they changed the terrible ME2 box art

Huzzah!

I know. I remember when they changed it. And thinking, "OK, if you're going to change terrible fucking box art, please try and change it something that isn't also terrible fucking box art."

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah...that's one of the reasons I got the CE edition.

I mean...what is Miranda even shooting at...and why is she so happy? And why is Shepard neck at such a weird angle?

Dragkonias on