As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] Tatsunoko vs Capcom - Oh my gosh!

Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM
ULTIMATE ALL-STARS

tvcheader.jpg
(Minus that goofy Genie guy.)

Ever play Marvel vs Capcom? Do you enjoy somewhat obscure anime? Are you just a fighting game nut? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then Tatsunoko vs Capcom might just be the game for you!

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars is a crossover fighting game developed by Eighting (the guys who did the surprisingly good Naruto fighting game that came out just a few months ago) and published by Capcom for the Wii. TvC is the seventh game in the VS series, which includes the Marvel vs. Capcom and Capcom vs. SNK games. It was originally released exclusively in Japan as Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes in December 2008 but fan reception of the game convinced Capcom to localize an updated version for the US and Europe.

WHAT'S A TATSUNOKO?

Tatsunoko Production is a Japanese animation studio responsible for some of anime's most memorable classics. If you're Japanese. Most of Tatsunoko's properties really didn't fare all that well in the West, causing many to believe that the game would never make it across the ocean. The most notable franchise included in the game for Western fans is probably "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman," better known in the States as "G-Force" or "Battle of the Planets." Some of the more memorable Tatsunoko franchises such as "Speed Racer" and "Samurai Pizza Cats" were unfortunately excluded from the game due to licensing issues.

GAMEPLAY

Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars is the first 2.5D game in the VS series. Characters and backgrounds use 3D models, but are bound to a 2D plane (much like Street Fighter IV). Players face each other in teams of two in a one-on-one fight to deplete their opponent's health bars, much like the original Marvel vs Capcom. Tatsunoko vs Capcom features the same crazy battles of the Marvel VS titles but with major changes to the core mechanics. The game is built around a simplified three-button attack system (Weak, Medium, Strong) and a multifunctional "Partner" button that can be used to tag in a teammate or provide assistance in attacking.

Most of the gameplay related to the partner switching feature remains very similar to Marvel vs Capcom 2. You can call in assists, perform dual Hyper Combos, switch your inactive character in with a Hyper Combo, switch characters while blocking as a counter, and some characters can even force your opponent to switch characters with a "Snapback."

There are new techniques found in the game as well. Similar to BlazBlue, your characters can perform a "Mega Crash" to interrupt a opponents combo and get some room to breathe. Unlike BB, this move can be performed more than once per round, costing a part of your active character's life and two stocks of super meter. The "Baroque Cancel" is another new technique that cancels the current attack animation at the cost of your character's red (recoverable) life, allowing the player to extend combos and deal more damage relative to the amount of red life that is sacrificed. The technique ends when the character stops or performs a Hyper move. You can now also switch out your active character while in the middle on an aerial combo, giving you even more ways to dish out the damage.

It probably all sounds a bit confusing, doesn't it? Well, that's what videos are for!

VIDEOS

E3 2009 Trailer

Match Video 1

Match Video 2

CHARACTERS

TATSUNOKO:

Casshan (From Neo-Human Casshern)
Doronjo (From Yatterman)
Gold Lightan (From Golden Warrior Gold Lightan)
Ippatsuman (From Gyakuten! Ippatsuman)
Joe Asakura (From Science Ninja Team Gatchaman)
Ken Washio aka Ken the Eagle (From Science Ninja Team Gatchaman)
Jun the Swan (From Science Ninja Team Gatchaman)
Karas (From Karas)
Polimar (From Hurricane Polymar)
Tekkaman (From Tekkaman: The Space Knight)
Tekkaman Blade (From Tekkaman Blade)
Yatterman-1 (From Yatterman)
Yatterman-2 (From Yatterman)

Cut From the US Release:
Hakushon Daimo (From The Genie Family)

CAPCOM:

Alex (From Street Fighter III)
Batsu Ichimonji (From Rival Schools: United By Fate)
Chun-Li (From Street Fighter II)
Frank West (From Dead Rising)
Soki (From Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams)
MegaMan Volnutt (From Mega Man Legends)
Morrigan Aensland (From Darkstalkers)
PTX-40A (From Lost Planet: Extreme Condition)
Roll (From Mega Man)
Ryu (From Street Fighter)
Saki Omokane (From Quiz Nanairo Dreams)
Viewtiful Joe (From Viewtiful Joe)
Zero (From Mega Man X)

Non-Playable Boss Character:
Yami (From Okami)

REVIEWS

IGN - 9/10
Destructoid - 9/10
GamePro - 4/5
G4TV - 5/5
GameTrailers - 9/10
Joystiq
IGN's Video Review

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
Fig-D on

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FRIEND CODES

USA:
    Name: Fig-D
    Friend Code: 3996-7915-4823

Name: JAB
    Friend Code: 4683-9866-4805

Name: TelMarine
    Friend Code: 1548-6634-2199

Name: Linespider5
    Friend Code: ???

Name: Guek
    Friends Code: 2149-9561-0481

Name: Lupin
    Friend Code: 1677-5098-3818

Name: Blaze 0
    Friend Code: 0088-3747-9422

Name: Sake
    Friend Code: 3524-3557-0939

Name: 645
    Friend Code: 5242-3425-9366

Name: CyborgZeta
    Friend Code: 1076-2260-8266

Name: Blue*D
    Friend Code: 0560-8302-4240

Canada:
    Name: BTP
    Friend Code: 1935-2070-9123

Name: Talios
    Friend Code: 3180-7480-4283

Name: Delphinus
    Friend Code: 0217-2338-7142
    Location Vancouver, BC. Canada

Name: Kris
    Friend Code: 1333-9342-1567

Europe:
    Name: Snare
    Friend Code: 2064-0577-9336

GAME GUIDES

iplaywinner Guide for Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Event Hubs Guide for Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Keits' Updated TvC Video Tutorial

Fig-D on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    here are some more reviews:

joystiq
    destructoid (9/10)
    gamepro (4/5)

i'm so excited for this game...

Guek on
  • Greg343Greg343 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The three button fighting system really has me interested, it's a real departure from the usual 6 button Capcom norm.

Greg343 on
    edited January 2010
    Its probably worth mentioning that if you live by a Fry's Electronics (California and Texas, mostly) then you can pick the game up when they open tomorrow for $42.99. Not bad if you were on the edge and wanted to save a few bucks.

Fig-D on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    On Suggestions.

I think it would be nice if you tried to fit a character history somewhere...because I have no idea who the hell any of the Tatsu people are(sans Karas and Tekkaman)...

Dragkonias on
    edited January 2010
    I was going to, but then I realized that it was a) going to take up a lot of space, b) take a lot of time, and c) get largely ignored :( .

If enough people would like me to do a "Getting to Know Your Tatsunoko" section then I'll edit my first post after the OP to do so.

Fig-D on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well...I can always just Wiki...just thought it would be a nice touch.

You are right about space though.

Dragkonias on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm picking this up tonight or tomorrow. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited January 2010
    Well, I'm worried about a Tatsunoko section getting largely ignored because most of the series featured in TvC didn't come to America. Karas is recent, and both Gatchaman and Tekkaman came to the US is some form or another, but explaining that "Gyakuten! Ippatsuman" was the sixth part in the Time Bokan series (none of which made it outside of Japan) in the 1980s blah blah blah... I'm just afraid people's eyes are going to glaze over :lol: .

Fig-D on
  • MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know most of the Tatsunoko characters, but they're just filler for me anyway. As far as I'm concerned, this game will be Tekkaman Blade vs Capcom.

MelonTron on
    edited January 2010
    Two more videos just came out featuring primarily Frank West. Check them out here

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/frank-west-tatsunoko-vs/61203

and here

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/frank-west-tatsunoko-vs/61204

Fig-D on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okami? O_o

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited January 2010
    Just the last boss unfortunately. Yami uses some familiar moves to those who have beaten Okami though.

Fig-D on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tekkaman looks like a cheap bastard. I love it.

Algertman on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    XiaNaphryz on
    edited January 2010
    I really hope they can work something out to allow DLC characters, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone who was looking to get a little background info on the characters (as well as peruse some movelists) can head over to the...

Event Hubs Guide for Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

At the bottom of each character guide you'll find a bit about the character's story and the anime they come from.

They'll be adding the characters new to the US version of TvC as soon as they can get in some quality time with them.

EDIT: In fact I should just add this to the OP.

Fig-D on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll be getting this game this week. Look forward to playing and discussing this game!

slash000 on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't wait to pick this up! Hopefully I'll have my friend code in about 12 hours from now. :mrgreen:

If you need another review to add to the OP: G4TV: 5/5

And I'll be adding this thread to the NWC thread momentarily. (Wow, I haven't done anything with that thread in a while!)

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yay. I am excited.

blaze_zero on
    edited January 2010
    It seems like I'm editing this OP every 20 minutes. Additional reviews, a link to the Event Hubs guide, gameplay clarification, and additional information about unlocking characters and colors have all been added.

For anyone picking up the game tomorrow (or in the future) just post your friend code in this thread and I'll throw it up into the OP under the appropriate section.

Fig-D on
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sooo want to buy this...must fine deal somewhere...

SkyGheNe on
    edited January 2010
    Another deal:

Toys R Us is offering $15 off any Wii game of $39.99 or more with the purchase of Tatsunoko vs Capcom. I don't know if they'll be carrying No More Heroes 2, but if they do it sounds like a pretty good deal. Or if not you can pick up New Super Mario Bros Wii for $35.

Fry's and TRU are the only places I've seen advertising deals on TvC.

Fig-D on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The quickest way to unlock everyone.

1. Set the game on easy, turn up your handicap, and play arcade.
    2. Bring someone with a good fireball special. Ryu, Frank, or especially Yatterman-1.
    3. When beating the final boss, make sure a new character gets the killing blow each time.

Frank: Beat the game three times with three Capcom characters.
    Zero: Beat the game six times with six Capcom characters.
    Tekkaman Blade: Beat the game three times with three Tatsunoko characters.
    Joe: Beat the game six times with six Tatsunoko characters.

To get Yatterman-2, beat the game with all four hidden characters. So when you unlock frank and Tekkaman Blade use them in your unlocking of Zero and Joe to speed things up.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you're in Austin, I'd be up for playing. I dont do online.

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited January 2010
    @ XoB. I did forget to mention the killing blow bit in my unlock section, so I just replaced it with yours and gave you credit.

Fig-D on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Went ahead and grabbed this from amazon, since they give you a ten dollar gift card for preordering it. I plan to use that towards No More Heroes 2. And with Silent Hill and FFCC on the way from Goozex, this is lookin' to be a damn good week for my Wii.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cannot wait for this. Luckily I blanked it until I saw it on my local game website (otherwise the wait would've killed me) Got a stick for it months ago, has been sitting in it's box waiting. Time to dust off the wii, check the stick and pray the online is lag-free.

Anyone got any experience with the online yet? We all know how it makes or breaks fighting games in the current climate, see KoF 12.

Snare on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think a get to know your Tatsunoko section would be good, or maybe even just character bios in general. Probably like... 4-5 sentences max per character, well-known or not.

I mean, I'm excited as hell to get to play as Tekkaman Blade, Karas, and Casshan, but those are the only 3 Tatsunoko series I recognize (and I only recognize Tekkaman Blade because of the SRW Let's Play! that's going on).

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If Phoenix Wright comes out as DLC, somebody PM me, because that's the day I buy the game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That DLC news sounds interesting. I imagine any decent vs game with DLC characters would be a goldmine for Capcom. Still, maybe they're just trying to place the blame of no Phoenix Wright on Nintendo since they've been receiving so much heat for it 8-)

Got a question for anyone who owns the game. Is the original music for Capcom characters in it (Like Ryu/Chun-Li's theme)? Do you buy them through the store or something?

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    I'll be getting this game this week. Look forward to playing and discussing this game!
    yeah you do that.
    I'm looking forward to kicking ass and taking names.

delphinus on
    edited January 2010
    I have talked to a few people who are getting this just for the Capcom side and plan on ignoring the Tatsunoko characters alltogether. I may not know a bunch of them, but I'll be trying them out.

Yatterman and Takka Blade both look pretty awesome. I grew up watching G-Force so I'll be trying out all of those characters. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Restart wrote: »
    That DLC news sounds interesting. I imagine any decent vs game with DLC characters would be a goldmine for Capcom. Still, maybe they're just trying to place the blame of no Phoenix Wright on Nintendo since they've been receiving so much heat for it 8-)

Got a question for anyone who owns the game. Is the original music for Capcom characters in it (Like Ryu/Chun-Li's theme)? Do you buy them through the store or something?

When you start off this is the only song available. The rest you have to buy

You want to what?

Algertman on
    edited January 2010
    Any word on online?

I've been getting...not good reports.

Dragkonias on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I was going to, but then I realized that it was a) going to take up a lot of space, b) take a lot of time, and c) get largely ignored :( .
    If enough people would like me to do a "Getting to Know Your Tatsunoko" section then I'll edit my first post after the OP to do so.
    This video is a good intro. Just two guys going over some (all? Haven't played the gam eyet) of the series and characters featured in the game.

Glal on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    At first I rolled my eyes at this. Jesus... another Capcom Vs game? Why are these characters so angry...?

Then I learned Frank West was in it, and I was like :o

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the best part of this game is that it's not a fucking street fighter fest.
    If they do decide to put out more characters as DLC, I hope they delve into some other games that aren't SF.

blaze_zero on
    edited January 2010
    I want Sylvia from Viewtiful Joe 2.

Or Amaterasu! Celestial Brush attacks would be pretty awesome.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What is Tatsunoko? A miserable pile of secrets!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited January 2010
    If for whatever reason they can do dlc for this game, then they had better give me Speed Racer, or maybe someone from the Macross series.

I would love to play a Robotech character.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!