As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade is a contender for Best Webcomic of the Decade

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I voted for Girl Genius, because it is the best webcomic. It has great artwork, great coloring and a great ongoing storyline. Its a bitch to get into after around 8-9 years of ongoing story, but its one epic story.

Penny Arcade is one of the few webcomics that matches it in artwork, buuuut the fact is Penny Arcade reads more like an illustrated blogpost then a webcomic. Too often the jokes make no sense unless you have read Tycho or Gabe's posts. Wich means that it sorta fails as a pure webcomic if not as entertainment.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MSPA is not on the list. It's not only the best webomic, but the best anything on the internet.
    Except for you fine folks/silly geese, of course. <3

Therefore, I voted for LICD, because seriously what a shit list, I'm going to vote for the worst thing on it.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What is the comic with Musashi and the boat oar? I would vote for that or Peachi comics or Beartato : (

Frosteey on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Doesn't have: MSPA, Nedroid, Qwantz/Dinosaur Comics, Achewood, Dr. Mcninja and most importantly Jerkcity. Awful, awful list.

L|ama on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    think xkcd is the best because of its innovation: roll-over text to provide a second punchline to each strip, online forums for fans to discuss the strip or whatever else, and perhaps most of all, the real world meet-ups between fans. I am simply unaware of a single comic EVER that has inspired so many Live Action events (comic BOOKS sure, but a daily or weekly strip? No way.) Personally, I prefer continuing storyline strips (Girls With Sling Shots, Questionable Content, Legend of Bill.) But xkcd uses the internet to actually transform the way readers experience the comic: it's not just a funny or edgy strip scanned and posted. xkcd has really created something different, which is why I rank it "The Best" of the past decade.

(On a personal note: Michael, what are the chances of getting an interview with Randall? I have SUCH a nerd crush on him.)

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm voting for PA because this place is my home while I'm also at home, but I have to comment on the fact that PBF is the funniest comic I've ever read.

voting hard for PA though on every computer I see til the poll ends. I saw Gabe's tweet to wang the poll haha but I didn't actually click his link.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I voted PA.

Whattaya gonna do?

Be pissed at you for not voting for pbf

What the fuck Quid, I thought we were cool man :?

20080416.gif
    I actually like PBF. I just like PA better. Also I like that particular comic too, though the series is meh.

yes, that is a hilarious dig at PBF which I find funny while also believing PBF to be brilliant.

Variable on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Achewood all the way.

Achewood isn't even an alternative.

Fuck. Everything.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Achewood all the way.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Variable on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow, Devil's Panties is on the list. I like that comic, but best ever? Glad to see Hark a Vagrant, Girl Genius, and Order of the Stick. Saddened by no Achewood, MSPA, Dinosaur Comics, A Lesson is Learned but the damage is irreversible. Maddened by User Friendly and Least I could Do.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2010
    That's one goosey list. No Achewood, no vote.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Girl Genius for me, though it was a tough choice

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hoz wrote: »
    Perry Bible Fellowship should win.

geckahn on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Eh. OOTS got my vote.
    But the community is better on PA.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Perry Bible Fellowship is the winner, and it is our duty to make all others believe this.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    geckahn wrote: »

This, I agree with

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    MegaforceMegaforce __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Heh, the good thing about this list is there are some comics I hadn't seen yet.

Megaforce on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That is a pretty sad list, but major congrats to Kate Beaton for being recognised for Hark a Vagrant. Who thought a relatively obscure comic largely about Canadian history would get noticed by the WP?

While I love Nedroid, it's only been around a few years hasn't it? Besides PA the only really decade-long (or near decade-long) comics are Achewood and Dinosaur Comics and neither are up there. PBF was good and all, but it's gone now, let it go. And did it really have that long a run (I can't recall, to tell the truth)?

So it's a silly list made by silly geese. I don't care so long as, shudder, xkcd doesn't win. Maybe I'll vote PA, or just toss a vote towards Hark a Vagrant.

EDIT: just noticed the honourable mentions near the top. Cat and Girl at least gets a mention, but still no Achewood or Dinosaur Comics.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    was get your war on on there? Sure it was topical and therefore ages faster than an open jar of mayonnaise but it was still innovative and funny.

Sam on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No Goats, and no Bobbins/ScaryGoRound. This poll is worthless.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PBF is pretty great, and probably the best on a "chances of great laughs per comic" scale. Penny-Arcade is the big dog though, with the strongest voice, over a decade of consistent updates, many classics, a convention that grew into one of the top gamer conventions in the USA, it's own charity, the ability to wang sites.

Achewood, Dinosaur Comics, and Nedroid deserve a spot on the list. XKCD does not deserve to win.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    While I love Nedroid, it's only been around a few years hasn't it? Besides PA the only really decade-long (or near decade-long) comics are Achewood and Dinosaur Comics and neither are up there. PBF was good and all, but it's gone now, let it go. And did it really have that long a run (I can't recall, to tell the truth)?

PvP has been going on actually longer than PA by about 6 months and is on the list. The first PA was done on the 18th of November, 1998 and the first PvP was done on the 4th of May, 1998

PBF did not have a long run, only a few years. Not sure about the rest, but they didn't strike me as "X of the decade" as much as i enjoy some of them.

Edit: What is so bad about XKCD. I agree its not the webcomic of the decade, but its constantly entertaining.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SanderJK wrote: »
    XKCD does not deserve to win.
    Yet, it's in second place.

Everyone vote for this Least I Could Do nonsense. Lesser of two evils, etc.

Least I Could Do is the greater evil by far. BY FAR.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    no get your war on and no toothpaste for dinner.

Sarah Palin is right. the silly geese in washington are truly out of touch with the common sense family values main street geese.

Sam on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Get your war on was never really an online comic, it was originally done for publication in indie newspapers. The online archives were an afterthought.

No clue about toothpaste for dinner.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Achewood. Fuck these guys.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Voted for Girl Genius - it's funny, has a long and well thought out storyline, and never suffers from schedule slip. And of course, great art.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My New Filing Technique is Unstoppable is way better than Get Your War On anyway.

It's also kind of funny to me to see how many people like Girl Genius in here, while it gets such hatred in the se webcomics thread.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Neli wrote: »

This, I agree with

Just going to quote this again

No web comic has had the wit and genius of PBF in a while

Also while xkcd has some good jokes here and there, it is the laziest and creepiest self-insertion comic ever

I would also bet that Least I Could Do is only winning because its vote mining its community. That comic boils down to *something that happened to me recently haha I should draw that* or *couple panels talking, last panel witty comment*

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Neli wrote: »

This, I agree with

Just going to quote this again

No web comic has had the wit and genius of PBF in a while

Also while xkcd has some good jokes here and there, it is the laziest and creepiest self-insertion comic ever

I voted for PBF

Arch on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Least I could do is probably in the lead because the authors put a link to the poll in both LICD and LFG. Thats how I found out about this poll(I like LFG okay). It will probably even out as other Webcomics do the same.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Least I could do is probably in the lead because the authors put a link to the poll in both LICD and LFG. Thats how I found out about this poll(I like LFG okay). It will probably even out as other Webcomics do the same.

But both of those may actually be contenders for the WORST webcomic of the decade

Arch on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why isn't CAD on that list?
    Relax i'm joking

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As much as I enjoy Penny-arcade's comic, my vote had to go to the Perry Bible Fellowship.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    how in the fuck is achewood not on this list

Snork on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Also while xkcd has some good jokes here and there, it is the laziest and creepiest self-insertion comic ever.
    I may just appropriate this as my own reason for disliking xkcd.

Also, this sums it well too:

flimsywhimsy.jpg

Still not as unpleasant as LICD. Then again, in the choice between Super-slick mega-stud straight out of an Askmen "advice" column or self-insert self-aware self-self nerd worrying about the friend zone, my selection would be the flamethrower used on own face.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So Wondermark only got a an honourable mention. Screw that list.

Koolaidguy on