As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How often do you bathe?

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    I would assume your underwear is covering your crotch. o_O

You should try Googling "How often should I wash my jeans". You'll be surprised.

EDIT: With the caveat that I wear fairly expensive jeans and you're REALLY not supposed to wash those on a frequent basis.

Yes, my underwear is covering my crotch. Next in line is my jeans.

Take a clean pair of jeans, wear them for a day, then take a long, deep sniff of the crotch. Smell that? So can other people.

I don't know what's wrong with your balls, but you should have that looked at. Because the crotch of my jeans certainly doesn't smell bad after a day of wear. I also shower twice a day, so YMMV.

I think his balls have a case of moisture secretion syndrome. It's a terrible thing where the membrane of your skin secrets a salt-rich liquid in hopes of keeping itself cool. Unfortunately, this unfortunate reaction was developed before pants were around, and such moisture can be absorbed through layers of cloth quite easily, even in small quantities. In most humans, this is normal.

However, this moisture often smells unpleasant, and while you may not have this moisture as much as others, the vast majority of humans sweat a fair amount daily, regardless of their environment. What I am trying to say is that your pants do, in fact, smell smell like balls, you silly goose. Maybe less than his do each day, but the smell is there and grows. You may be blessed with less body secretion than most people, however. If so, hats off to you.

Or, in this instance, pants off.

Enc on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You should try Googling "How often should I wash my jeans". You'll be surprised.

EDIT: With the caveat that I wear fairly expensive jeans and you're REALLY not supposed to wash those on a frequent basis.

Take a clean pair of jeans, wear them for a day, then take a long, deep sniff of the crotch. Smell that? So can other people.

I don't know what's wrong with your balls, but you should have that looked at. Because the crotch of my jeans certainly doesn't smell bad after a day of wear. I also shower twice a day, so YMMV.
    Yeah... this. I'm a girl, so YMMV that way, but vaginas are still very interesting places that can acquire their own set of unique... smells, if you're not hygienic. If your crotch stench is seriously soaking through a fresh set of underwear in a day, such that people actually NOTICE said stench, you are probably doing something wrong with your crotchal maintenance.

I shower once a day, on very rare occasions (such as when I wake up 10 minutes before I have to be at work), I will skip a shower, and I don't have problems. I always change my underwear once a day, no matter what. And I wash my jeans maybe once a week.

edit: Just saw Enc's post. So maybe that's it. Or maybe you just have cheap underwear! In any case I just smelled the crotch of my jeans (yep, shut my office door and did the no pants dance for a minute) and they don't smell bad, in fact they still smell like detergent. I think I washed them last Monday... maybe.

Spacemilk on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    2-3 times I can wear a pair of jeans before they start to smell. Although, they wear down REALLY fast this way.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    2-3 times I can wear a pair of jeans before they start to smell. Although, they wear down REALLY fast this way.

They wear down a lot faster through constantly washing them and throwing them in the dryer.

P.S. ALWAYS hang dry your jeans.

Esh on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This forum is not a dumping ground. I am dismayed to see that this thread is still here. This is disgusting. Push it off on G&T or SE++ already.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For everyone in here who doesn't bathe every day, wear a fresh shirt every day, or wear fresh pants every 2-3 days, could you please do the rest of us a favor and never mention your real hobbies to anyone ever again?

Just tell people you're really into football and hangin' out at the beach, please.

Thanatos on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    For everyone in here who doesn't bathe every day, wear a fresh shirt every day, or wear fresh pants every 2-3 days, could you please do the rest of us a favor and never mention your real hobbies to anyone ever again?

Just tell people you're really into football and hangin' out at the beach, please.
    Seconded. Some posts on this thread are playing a little too close to the negative stereotypes of gamers.

What's the big deal about showering at least once a day? A quick shower takes five minutes.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A good shower takes at least ten. Are you just ducking under the water or what? Do you not scrub.

Also Thanatos, I would appreciate if a man of your stature did the same.

Leitner on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    A good shower takes at least ten. Are you just ducking under the water or what? Do you not scrub.

Don't worry, the people who don't shower insure that that's the case.

Thanatos on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

I love my showers- I take two a day. And they tend to be on the longer side, especially in the evenings.

I'm just saying that it takes little time and effort to shower. I don't see any good reason for people not to shower at least once a day, unless you happen to live somewhere without running water or whatever.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower once a day. The closest I come to taking a bath is using a hot spring here, which is glorious.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    I shower once a day. The closest I come to taking a bath is using a hot spring here, which is glorious.
    Man, I have not taken a bath in about a decade, and I only took one then because I was so ill with a stomach bug that I could barely stand up.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »
    I dislike baths.

Has anyone else been unable to take a bath in....about eight years? Maybe more? Only showers?

It's not so much that I dislike baths as that I spent seven years having nothing but. When we finally had a shower installed, I enjoyed it thoroughly and felt that the concept of a bath equated to me stewing in my own dirty juices, leaving me not so much 'clean' as 'roasted'.

I need to install a shower in the new property as soon as possible.

And fuck, I need to stop posting drunk. It's too much effort to focus on the tiny, tiny letters.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I showered twice a day when I lived in a tropical climate. Now I live somewhere very cold, so I probably average around 0.7 showers a day.

Crimson King on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    I use whichever one is more .. usable.

Baths if the shower head is not available or has shit pressure (like my previous apartment), showers if the shower head is good or the tub is too small to actually use for baths (like my new apartment).

Also baths if in a house/building where it's like SURPRISE IT'S COLD WATER BITCH

FyreWulff on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Corlis wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Man, I have not taken a bath in about a decade, and I only took one then because I was so ill with a stomach bug that I could barely stand up.

Well, like I said, it's the closest thing to a bath I've done, since technically you bathe first, then soak in the baths, but dear God does it feel awesome! Especially outside ones when it's really cold, so you're hauling ass to get into the warm water and you don't get over heated because it's chilly outside and just feels great.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Erry day, always. If I didn't I would have workout funk.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »

Yeah... this. I'm a girl, so YMMV that way, but vaginas are still very interesting places that can acquire their own set of unique... smells, if you're not hygienic. If your crotch stench is seriously soaking through a fresh set of underwear in a day, such that people actually NOTICE said stench, you are probably doing something wrong with your crotchal maintenance.

I shower once a day, on very rare occasions (such as when I wake up 10 minutes before I have to be at work), I will skip a shower, and I don't have problems. I always change my underwear once a day, no matter what. And I wash my jeans maybe once a week.

edit: Just saw Enc's post. So maybe that's it. Or maybe you just have cheap underwear! In any case I just smelled the crotch of my jeans (yep, shut my office door and did the no pants dance for a minute) and they don't smell bad, in fact they still smell like detergent. I think I washed them last Monday... maybe.

I dunno about some of you guys. Are you actually moving about during the day? Do you raise a sweat at any time? Do you leave the house at all? Just sitting on the couch all day will result in less sweating obviously, but still...

As I've said before, I shower at least twice a day, soap, scrub, rinse dealio, I use anti-perspirant, I know I smell good (especially after a shave in the morning with a teensy dash of eau de toilette), and at the end of the day, the 'sensitive' areas of my clothes are a teensy bit whiffy.

Ain't gonna be wearing that again without washing it, no sir.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I try and shower every day (assuming I don't come back from my classes, fall asleep, and wonder what the hell happened between the time I left class and when I woke up).

Then again, I live in Georgia. Even in the winter, I spend a lot of time wrapped in multiple layers of clothing in stuff, poorly-ventilated rooms packed with other people.

I also make it a point to always shower (and shave) before a social event, even if it means sitting down in my shower and nodding off a couple times.

*snip*

Yeah, apparently, clothing is fucking cheap as hell in Australia, because it certainly isn't where I live (and things tend to be fairly inexpensive). I don't own a single pair of jeans, not just because I don't like the way they feel personally, but because they cost 2 to 3 times as much as a pair of khaki pants (I own a lot of khakis). "Cheap" Khakis go for about $19.99 US, and those are Wal-Mart brand. Thankfully, I own a lot of clothing because that's all my parents ever give me whenever I see them. I don't buy $2 T-shirts because, frankly, I don't wear $2 T-shirts (except to sleep in, perhaps). I have four or 5 collar shirts that I rotate through, and other shirts are emergencies.

Granted, I have my own washing machine now, and a dryer, so the expense of washing is very low. When I was living in dorms, the machines available were goddamn rip-offs, since washing more than two pairs of shirts and two pairs of pants at any given time meant two cycles of washing and two cycles of drying. Then they decided it'd be fun to double the price, one day, out of the blue. I'm thankful I never have to return to that time.

Check the SE++ fashion thread, there are people buying Levis premium range jeans at $35 instead of $168.
    Also, you guys have Target, right? That's where I get nice black cotton dress pants for $10 on sale.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • brorsteinbrorstein Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Now I live somewhere very cold, so I probably average around 0.7 showers a day.

This is my estimate too. I live in a temperate place now (came from northern MN), showers probably go up to every day in the summertime (or after a workout), but right now I have no problems not looking/smelling like a transient w/ just every other day. That's usually augmented with a privates scrub-down on the off days. Me, my brother, my dad, and I think many males up my paternal family are notoriously unstinky - even after vigorous activity. As in, there have been family conversations about this phenomenon at gatherings w/ significant others. We pretty much perspire like 10 year old girls.

brorstein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, a day of moderate activity and my jeans are washing fresh.

Then again I am a slim bloke in a mild country.

Leitner on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dunno about some of you guys. Are you actually moving about during the day? Do you raise a sweat at any time? Do you leave the house at all? Just sitting on the couch all day will result in less sweating obviously, but still...

I imagine many people here are like myself and work desk jobs where not a lot of moving is involved. So really spending 8 hours in your cubicle in your work pants doesn't get them that dirty, especially if your office is cool.

My office was freezing today. If I hadn't worked out after work and then worn my work clothes home I would have had no problem with wearing them another day before declaring them dirty. There's pretty much no chance that in my freezing office I was sweating anywhere or in enough of a quantity that my underwear and bra couldn't soak it up for me.

Asiina on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower and wash my hair every morning, I just don't feel right otherwise.

Depending how sweaty I get throughout the day I also shower in the evening sometimes.

Pants I'm on about a 3-4 day changeover point, with the biggest determinant being if they feel right. Never had a problem with smells.

electricitylikesme on
  • DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ITT we quantify our daily showering.

Mine happens to be 0.8 showers per day.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In Washington and Nor Cal I didn't always shower every day since it just wasn't necessary. Definitely necessary here in Hawaii though.

Same with wearing clothes more than once. Unless I do somewhat rigorous work in them, they're still just as clean. The only parts that smell are the arm pits of my under shirt and the boxers which get tossed regardless, so there's not much point in also tossing the rest of my uniform.

Quid on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My showering habits are directly related to whether I'm going out, whether that's for work, or to visit someone, or whatever. If I'm going to be around other people, I shower beforehand that day. If not, maybe I'll put it off until the next morning if I'm not feeling gross.

Ultimately that leads to once a day maybe skipping one on the weekend, but it's not really something I have a routine for so much as I think it should be done.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think I take showers in the cold as much as I do in the humid summers here. The reason being that my feet get really cold over the course of the day either from sweating in my socks or what have you. So sometimes I take a shower before I go to bed to "thaw" them out. Also keeps my feet warm at night since they're not trying to warm up from such a thoroughly cold state.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wienke wrote: »
    I think I take showers in the cold as much as I do in the humid summers here. The reason being that my feet get really cold over the course of the day either from sweating in my socks or what have you. So sometimes I take a shower before I go to bed to "thaw" them out. Also keeps my feet warm at night since they're not trying to warm up from such a thoroughly cold state.

I've done that, too. Some days taking a shower is the only way I can get warm. haha

I typically shower twice a day during the week: in the morning, and after I work out in the afternoon. On the weekends, just in the morning because I don't work out. I wash my hair every time because it gets weird and slightly greasy overnight, and it gets gross during workout.

When I was a teenager, I had a problem with my hair getting greasy. I tried that "space out your washes to every other day because washing every day actually makes it greasy" thing. Um no. Spacing out hair washes just made it even greasier than it was. Of course, I do live in south Louisiana, but still. Everyone's hair is different. You've got to try different shampoos, etc., and figure out what works best for you.

N1tSt4lker on
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    please, please, please shower every day.

Ketherial on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not directed at anyone in particular, but what a society of OCD hypochondriacs we live in. I'm sorry if you reek after 1 day, but don't assume the rest of us do too. If I didn't have greasy hair, I'd only shower every 2 or 3 days, and I don't smell by that point unless I don't wear deodorant. My wife only showers every other day most of the time, and she doesn't reek either. And no, it's not just because I'm used to her scent - I know what a nasty smelling human smells like. We tell each other when we smell bad.

I didn't know what a can of worms I was opening when I started this thread O_o

Dude, deodorant is for covering up any stank that results from normal daily activities or general sweatiness, not stank you've already got.

Damn.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I, uh, I don't wash my hair any more.

I soap the hell out of my body, and I take care to rinse my hair thoroughly, but... I don't wash it any more. I stopped over Christmas break. I endured an awful week of greasiness, but now it's just really soft and smooth and extremely manageable.

>.>

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I soap the hell out of my body, and I take care to rinse my hair thoroughly, but... I don't wash it any more. I stopped over Christmas break. I endured an awful week of greasiness, but now it's just really soft and smooth and extremely manageable.

>.>

I've heard people advocating this stance. It must work for some people because the first person who told me showed me her hair and it was fine, but I don't buy that it would work for me.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wash my hair maybe once a week

nexuscrawler on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh yeah hair. When mine was long I'd wash it every two to three days. Any more and it dried out, any less and it got greasy. Not terribly greasy, but enough to show.

Now, maybe twice a week depending on dandruff.

Quid on
    edited January 2010

>.>

I've heard people advocating this stance. It must work for some people because the first person who told me showed me her hair and it was fine, but I don't buy that it would work for me.

Well again, there was an initial INCREDIBLY greasy stage that lasted for about a week. If I hadn't been on break I never would have gone through with it.

Glad I did though.

I think that once summer and daily sweating becomes a factor I may have to reassess this method.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I used to shower everyday. Spent 3 years in Alaska, now I shower around once every 3rd day.

Lilnoobs on
  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

>.>

Well again, there was an initial INCREDIBLY greasy stage that lasted for about a week. If I hadn't been on break I never would have gone through with it.

Glad I did though.

I think that once summer and daily sweating becomes a factor I may have to reassess this method.
    I'm sort of skeptical of this, as I can't think of a convincing mechanism of action. Why would the daily oil production drop after a week without washing? I don't think your scalp is equipped to detect the greasiness of your hair and modulate its oil output accordingly. Are you sure you didn't just change your standards of greasiness over that week?

CycloneRanger on
    edited January 2010

>.>

Glad I did though.

I'm sort of skeptical of this, as I can't think of a convincing mechanism of action. Why would the daily oil production drop after a week without washing? I don't think your scalp is equipped to detect the greasiness of your hair and modulate its oil output accordingly. Are you sure you didn't just change your standards of greasiness over that week?

Positive. It actually happened again for a couple of days recently as well. It was literally so greasy (both times) that I had difficulty running my fingers through my hair, and water had difficulty penetrating to my scalp. Now it's just silky. The second time, I'm pretty sure, was because I only (initially) had four towels at college initially, and didn't wash the one I used to dry my hair with for about four days. (When I washed my hair with soap regularly, this was not a problem). Since then, I have stolen about ten towels and use a different one every two days, and my hair is back to the non-super-greasy-yet-unsoaped ideal.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    How long is your hair, Loren?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited January 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    How long is your hair, Loren?

I can juuust see my bangs if I pull them down in front of my eyes. I'll see about maybe taking a picture tomorrow. I could definitely use a haircut, but I want to grow my hair out a bit, and I wear a hat almost all the time given that it's winter up here.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg