As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The NOVEMBER PICK-UP THREAD of only one month left 'till Egg Nog Latte season.

maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what?New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
[Thread Logo to Come]

In a thread idea shamelessly stolen primarily from NeoGAF, here's Penny-Arcade's official Pick-Up Thread, the first in a series.

This is the thread where you post what you've picked up recently. Show your gaming/geek cred & pride here.

Over on the GAF they had out bans for posting stock images, and I don't have the power, so all I can do is ask nicely:

Post ACTUAL pictures you've taken yourself! No one cares to see pictures they can find on google images....

In addition, DO NOT CRITICIZE other people's pick ups. This is a friendly thread. No need for insults!

So have fun. Go!

FU7kFbw.png
Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
maximumzero on

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just picked up a 250 GB PS3 yesterday, if that counts.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I picked up Atelier Annie yesterday. This actually meant driving out to the UPS depot in the middle of the suburban wasteland north of Toronto because stupid Amazon.ca decided to suddenly start shipping with UPS instead of Canada Post, and UPS can't deliver to my apartment complex because the buzzers don't work, and they don't understand the concept of, "I live on the ground floor with an outside entrance. The number is on my door. Can you knock on it, perhaps?" Grrrr.

But ANYWAY, I have Atelier Annie. It is so very Japanese. It is so very Japanese that they subbed it instead of dubbing it, and it is aggressively cute. Part of me wants to say "aww" and part of me wants to go find some moose jerkey and wrap it in a Canadian flag as penance.

I can already tell it's going to be addictive.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am going to buy nothing, because I have sold my soul to the devil that is the Backlog thread.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    if i have the cash left after buying my pax hotel rooms, i am gonna get AVP day one. also i really wanted to get darksiders but meh, not a big deal if i don't

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In a few days I'm getting Darksiders and Saboteur off Goozex.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Some things I've gotten lately:
    photo2yf.jpg

photojl.jpg

photo3df.jpg

I got the cards for free today, hah. They're awful.

Already had a copy of P3, and P3F, but.. how could I say no to a complete third copy for 14 bucks?

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »

I got the cards for free today, hah. They're awful.

Already had a copy of P3, and P3F, but.. how could I say no to a complete third copy for 14 bucks?

Thank you for being the first person to actually post pictures. :P

I bought a set of the Mario Galaxy Cards from that same company just for the hell of it.

Yeah they're pretty stupid. But I got a neat set of Bookmarks now. :P

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    tokyo zombie is a good movie

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just picked up Tatsunoko vs Capcom....and that's all I can afford this month.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Good thread idea

Will post a pic when I get home

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Great idea :D
    Well shit, if you made this the January thread, I would have shown my 60gb PS3!
    EDIT: Ah you know what, I'll show it anyway!

DSCF2653.jpg
    DSCF2658.jpg
    DSCF2659.jpg
    DSCF2660.jpg
    DSCF2661.jpg
    DSCF2662.jpg

The PS3 came with all that stuff, didn't get it seperately.
    Got Psychonauts today, but no pic.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    Great idea :D
    Well shit, if you made this the January thread, I would have shown my 60gb PS3!
    EDIT: Ah you know what, I'll show it anyway!
    DSCF2653.jpg
    DSCF2658.jpg
    DSCF2659.jpg
    DSCF2660.jpg
    DSCF2661.jpg
    DSCF2662.jpg
    The PS3 came with all that stuff, didn't get it seperately.
    Got Psychonauts today, but no pic.

Feel free to post all your January shit. I just figured it wasn't worth it to make a thread for a month that has less than a week left.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Feel free to post all your January shit. I just figured it wasn't worth it to make a thread for a month that has less than a week left.
    In a thread idea shamelessly stolen primarily from NeoGAF,

Well, shucks, they always do the NPD's a month behind, why not do it with the Pick-Up thread? :P

Aside from also grabbing Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, I also got the Classic Linker N64. I've posted my impressions on it in this thread. Long story short, if you use the Virtual Console or own a Game Boy Player, this is pretty much a must-have.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is technically December stuff but I only got around to playing them in January.
    crysissteam.jpg

Did I do it right?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »
    photo2yf.jpg

photojl.jpg

photo3df.jpg

:^:

I approve of tokyo zombie.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    January shit: A couple are older (obviously) but I obtained all these in January
    RandomPics006.jpg?t=1264655048

I'm happy I decided to pick up GTAIV for 360 despite completing it on PS3 at launch. After giving it about a year and a half to breathe, the hooks are in again deep. Once I'm done with the zerg rush that begin with ME2 and ends with FFXIII/God of War III, I intend to go back and get the DLC that I missed out on.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Okay okay, so this was technically a December Pick-Up. I threw this neat little Metal Sonic figure into my cart when I ordered some Saints figures and Halo figures for my sister and her husband (respectively). I need to find a place to put him.

pickup2k.jpg

And he has good taste in games. (Which was also a December pick-up. Zelda, not the DS. :P)

pickupi.jpg

I was going to get the Scott Pilgrim series in one shot from Amazon after so many people pestered me to read it on multiple message boards, but I decided to pick 'em up one at a time from Borders since they have what's almost a weekly 33% coupon these days, which brings the Borders price to what I would pay from Amazon anyway. I've only read the first book so far. It's not terrible but I'm not terribly impressed yet either.

pickup3.jpg

I picked these three up from Telltale when they had their after-Christmas 25% off sale. Never played Sam & Max and I've always wanted to, so here goes.

sammaxr.jpg

Oh and I bought three new pairs of shoes on Saturday.

pickup4.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    In a thread idea shamelessly stolen primarily from NeoGAF,

Well, shucks, they always do the NPD's a month behind, why not do it with the Pick-Up thread? :P

Aside from also grabbing Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, I also got the Classic Linker N64. I've posted my impressions on it in this thread. Long story short, if you use the Virtual Console or own a Game Boy Player, this is pretty much a must-have.

I wonder whatever happened to this thing:
    retro_adapter.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's generally agreed upon that for an introduction to a series, book 1 of Scott Pilgrim is very poor.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Good pickup with Scott Pilgrim

They get much better after the first book (though I liked it)

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In December I got The Infernal City (the Elder Scrolls book) but I haven't even opened it yet. I feel ashamed.

Sorry I don't have a camera, but the pic would be kinda bland anyway.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Picked up Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds Tag Force 4, God of War: Chains of Olympus, and three books: The Hobbit, The Graveyard Book and Lirael. Sorry I don't have a picture, my camera's not working.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't remember if I got the Zelda posters in December or not but I wanted to throw 'em up here anyway.

zelda2.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What's a good place to buy frames? They are often more expensive than the posters themselves.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2010
    I just buy 'em from Wal-Mart. Usually around $11-ish.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Okay, so here's some stuff I picked up today.

DSC00124.jpg

Personally, I think the onion is a nice touch. That's what I get for taking a picture while we're making lunch.

I also got this. I actually got it in January, but we're posting things we got in January so this fits. Also, I bought the frame for it today.

DSC00123.jpg

You can't see it, but it's actually 3D and looks fucking awesome. I also fucked up the corners of the frame a bit because the poster is a weird size so I had to buy a larger one and cut it down to size.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    max! Glad to see you revived; you always liven up the place. :P

Here's what I bought in not-quite-February:

goglnk.png

Interestingly, SirUltimos, I also picked up Abbey Road and the White Album recently. It turns out that Beatles Rock Band is a great primer to the Beatles and, hey, I like them!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Abbey Road is the only one of the remasters I've yet to own. Next time I see it in a store I'm going to grab it and then I'll have every single one.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Abbey Road is the only remaster I own so far. I really need to get on the others. Hell yes for Help! and Better Off Ted, SirUltimos. Fine choices.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    January.jpg

The back logs grows exponentially it seems.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's a lot of RPGs. You're gonna be busy for quite a while.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    That's a lot of RPGs. You're gonna be busy for quite a while.

I already am, you don't even want to know how large this collection actually is in its entirety.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's finally here!

Delivered not ten minutes ago via UPS:

boxsmall.jpg

Here's the tin case and Cerberus pack:

unpacksmall.jpg

The inside of the case:

discssmall.jpg

The LCE stuff:

lcestuffsmall.jpg

Oh shit yes people. It's on.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, I had a magical trip to GameStop today. After taking a look around at pretty much everything I couldn't afford at the moment, I spot something in the tiny rack that PS2 games still get. It's twenty dollars. So I say to myself, "Y'know what? I can swing it. And this is probably going to be my only chance to pick this up."
    kingabaddon.jpg

Yeah. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. New. Twenty Dollars.

So, I take my game to the counter, talk to the guy working there; he's pretty cool. He's been in the store every time I go there, it seems, so I'm alright with him. He rings me up, and then goes into the back. I figure he's checking on something for a customer he's on the phone with. I was wrong. He emerges with an odd packaging and I watched as he reached in, took the disk and manual, placed it in the case, and put the case into the packaging. I was then presented with this.
    (Sorry for the flash. It didn't want to turn off.)

boxset.jpg

The pre-order package! All this time and they still had one! Their last one, even. At least, that's what he told me. I'm inclined to believe him.

Twenty Dollars and tax spent. It was a good day.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I can imagine why they still had one

I've never even heard of it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    So, I had a magical trip to GameStop today. After taking a look around at pretty much everything I couldn't afford at the moment, I spot something in the tiny rack that PS2 games still get. It's twenty dollars. So I say to myself, "Y'know what? I can swing it. And this is probably going to be my only chance to pick this up."
    kingabaddon.jpg

Yeah. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon. New. Twenty Dollars.

So, I take my game to the counter, talk to the guy working there; he's pretty cool. He's been in the store every time I go there, it seems, so I'm alright with him. He rings me up, and then goes into the back. I figure he's checking on something for a customer he's on the phone with. I was wrong. He emerges with an odd packaging and I watched as he reached in, took the disk and manual, placed it in the case, and put the case into the packaging. I was then presented with this.

boxset.jpg

The pre-order package! All this time and they still had one! Their last one, even. At least, that's what he told me. I'm inclined to believe him.

That's what i'd call blind luck.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    kingabaddon.jpg

boxset.jpg

To be fair there was a stack of five of these at my local Gamestop on the counter on Saturday. They must have been trying to get rid of 'em.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    kingabaddon.jpg

boxset.jpg

To be fair there was a stack of five of these at my local Gamestop on the counter on Saturday. They must have been trying to get rid of 'em.

It's understandable. It's a game with practically no name recognition except for a niche audience, and it's a rather large package. I have to figure out where I'm going to put it.

To be honest, I only know a little about the series, but I know well enough to know that if I ever want to play it in the future, I wasn't getting another shot like that.

I'm happy because it's rare and it was cheap and it's driving one of my friends crazy knowing that I have it.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    kingabaddon.jpg

boxset.jpg

It's understandable. It's a game with practically no name recognition except for a niche audience, and it's a rather large package. I have to figure out where I'm going to put it.

To be honest, I only know a little about the series, but I know well enough to know that if I ever want to play it in the future, I wasn't getting another shot like that.

I'm happy because it's rare and it was cheap and it's driving one of my friends crazy knowing that I have it.

At $20, I would have bought one if I owned a PS2, just for the hell of it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's one hell of a deal you got there.

SirUltimos on
This discussion has been closed.