As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Goddamn J.D. Salinger is dead, dead as hell.

• TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sheri wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I, too, enjoy hamlet

toooo bad the english teacher I had at the time ended up being a pedophile! He was my favorite english teacher. You know, until the whole "I sleep with my students" thing came out

Yeah that is kind of a bummer

Hamlet saved Shakespeare for me, pretty much

Even though my prof for Hamlet was also a d-bag, but with less kid-fucking

Are you saying Hamlet is his only redeeming work?

No

I am saying that up until that point, I was one of those 'goddamnit we have to read this shit every year I don't understand half of it and no one likes plays wtf' students

Then I read Hamlet

And I was like, 'Holy shit this is awesome!'

And then I re-read a bunch of stuff I'd read as a snot-nosed brat, and I liked it!

Oh, okay. Cool.

That was The Tempest, for me. Ironic, really.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    it's me

im the rye

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kazhiim, you're just a big phony.

DarkPrimus on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    he wrote lots of other major works

he's pretty majorly celebrated for his short stories

This is news. Based on my (apparently poor) education, I had reached the conclusion that Catcher was his primary, and only major, work.

Maybe I'll hunt them down. Unfortunately I don't think there's a library within 20-some miles that would even have a chance of having them.

EDIT: Christ trying to post with anything approaching speed is nigh impossible when your computer decides that it wants to be refreshed a very very large number of times just to reach the next page. Let alone actually post something.

MechMantis on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MechMantis wrote: »

This is news. Based on my (apparently poor) education, I had reached the conclusion that Catcher was his primary, and only major, work.

Maybe I'll hunt them down. Unfortunately I don't think there's a library within 20-some miles that would even have a chance of having them.

So basically what you're saying is that there's not a library within 20-some miles.

Agent Cooper on
    edited January 2010

So basically what you're saying is that there's not a library within 20-some miles.

Pretty much.

Sucks living in a place that cut out almost every library to save money, huh?

MechMantis on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Catcher in the Rye was terrible. I did not like reading 276 pages of pure whining and moaning and bitching, where one thing would happen in a single sentence and then there'd be two full pages of whining about that thing.

That is not a good read. If I want to read whining I have plenty of resources available online.

i thought literally the exact same thing when i read it at nineteen. six years later i gave it another try and now he's one of my favorite writers and i've read everything he's written.

what i mean is this- it's worth another try a few years later. it's a short book. it won't take long.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Pretty much.

Sucks living in a place that cut out almost every library to save money, huh?

http://www.freeweb.hu/tchl/salinger/ here you go

satansfingers on
    edited January 2010
    It also didn't help that bad shit was going down as I was reading Catcher. And that I read it just after All Quiet on the Western Front and so Holden's life seemed not that shitty in comparison.

We'll see at some point in the future though.

EDIT: That is a pretty awesome site. Thanks!
    No I'm not doing this just to save face. I was honestly not all that aware that he was a short story writer (I was, but I didn't realize it was his primary field), and so never paid his short stories much mind.

MechMantis on
  • Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holden's life seemed not that shitty in comparison.

That's the point.

There are other characters in the book than Holden, you know. Like Phoebe.

Agent Cooper on
    edited January 2010
    Holden's life seemed not that shitty in comparison.

That's the point.

There are other characters in the book than Holden, you know. Like Phoebe.

I do realize that is the point.

But it had been driven in within the first 10 pages. It got repetitive. Which is what bothered me.

MechMantis on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did someone just compare Catcher in the Rye to Twilight

stupid

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Angsty teenagers are annoying! Therefore, Catcher in the Rye is an awful book. Only faggots ever get depressed or gain anything by reading about it.

Your shitty opinions anger me.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've only read catcher in the rye, but I adored the character's rhythm, and also thought it was a pretty good take on a precocious and troubled kid coming to terms with himself.

I knew he had done some short stories but this is somehow the first time I've heard of Franny and Zoey. I'll have to look it up.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    personally, i only read books where the characters start out as flawless individuals and get better from there

if by the closing scene they haven't ascended to actual godhood i feel kind of ripped off

redhead on
    edited January 2010
    redhead wrote: »
    personally, i only books where the characters start out as flawless individuals and get better from there

if by the closing scene they haven't ascended to actual godhood i feel kind of ripped off

Ayn_Rand1.jpg

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    ...yes because an angsty teenager who does nearly nothing but... angst(?) is the only flawed character in the world ever period.

This is sound logic.

Or it could be that the way he was written rubbed me the wrong way. There are ways to show angst without having pages upon pages about how so many things are phony, even when said things were mentioned in passing.

MechMantis on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ahahaha well played on the Ayn, Umaro.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
    edited January 2010
    I suppose the best part is that I didn't actually know what Ayn Rand looked like before I saw that picture.

I just saw this post about ascendency and godhood and following it there's this woman, this... grotesque woman, and I could only think of the one author it could be.

And it was.

Ayn Rand.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    again

catcher in the rye is linkin park in book form

i cannot finish it because of CRAAWWWLING INNNNN MY SKIINNNN

Raneados on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    again

you are pretty smart here is 10,000 dollars i wish to subscribe to your newsletter
    give me infinity subscriptions

Kusuguttai on
    edited January 2010
    I have never read Catcher in the Rye. Nobody ever recommended it to me, nobody ranted about it over lunch, nobody was openly reading it in the halls.

I only ever really heard about it here on the fucking internet when people were all "fucking little cunt needed to get knocked about!" or "pah, the book was such tripe."

And I was like "my god, I have never before encountered a people so ready to give so much of a shit about something so insubstantial."

So I never ended up reading it, as it wasn't on any of my class lists.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
    edited January 2010
    I have never read Catcher in the Rye. Nobody ever recommended it to me, nobody ranted about it over lunch, nobody was openly reading it in the halls.

I only ever really heard about it here on the fucking internet when people were all "fucking little cunt needed to get knocked about!" or "pah, the book was such tripe."

And I was like "my god, I have never before encountered a people so ready to give so much of a shit about something so insubstantial."

So I never ended up reading it, as it wasn't on any of my class lists.

same here bro

you know whats a good book
    to kill a mockingbird

anyone who disagrees is a racist

Kusuguttai on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    again

I READ 10 PAGES OF CATCHER IN THE RYE, TAKE MY OPINION SERIOUSLY,

teefs i am comparing what is arguably a literary masterpiece to a song by and even the entire band of linkin park

I am pretty sure I'm not looking for "oh yes you are so right here is a medal and a grant and my daughter's vagina" on this one

u mad

Raneados on
    edited January 2010
    again

I READ 10 PAGES OF CATCHER IN THE RYE, TAKE MY OPINION SERIOUSLY,

teefs i am comparing what is arguably a literary masterpiece to a song by and even the entire band of linkin park

I am pretty sure I'm not looking for "oh yes you are so right here is a medal and a grant and my daughter's vagina" on this one

u mad

i need my infinity subscriptions tomorrow

Kusuguttai on
    edited January 2010
    I also think i never got into catcher in the rye because I never had that stage in my life

I never had a "fuck this shit everyone sucks but me" stage

I last tried to read it about 3 years ago, but if I still have my copy I shall gladly give it another chance

Raneados on
    edited January 2010
    i mean teefs you keep quipping about people being mad on the internet or whatever and you just FREAKED because a guy from the internet didn't like the same book you like

I mean geez, dude

get some sleep or something before you cut your wrists

Raneados on
    edited January 2010

[Deleted User] on
    edited January 2010
    i mean teefs you keep quipping about people being mad on the internet or whatever and you just FREAKED because a guy from the internet didn't like the same book you like

I mean geez, dude

get some sleep or something before you cut your wrists

are you mad
    i am genuinely concerned

Kusuguttai on
    edited January 2010
    you've already posted it 2 or 3 times already, so its obvious you're looking for somebody to rub you off for it :)

twice

and i posted it twice because the subject came up twice

smiley face

Raneados on
    edited January 2010
    everybody mad!

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
    edited January 2010
    it's a madoff!

bernie wins

Raneados on
    edited January 2010
    raneados stop posting ur opinions plz kthx hth tbqh bbq nambla peta spca mspa rofl imho imdb jk lol :-D

Kusuguttai on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BlackDove on
    edited January 2010
    i love nambla so much

Raneados on
    edited January 2010

[Deleted User] on
    edited January 2010
    The best thing to come out of NAMBLA existing is this song right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Q2z0wm8Jo

Volucrisus Aedrius on
    edited January 2010
    have the onion ever had a sub-par article or piece?

if so i've never seen it

Raneados on
    edited January 2010
    i love nambla so much

lord i was born a namblin' man
    tryin' to love a boy doin the best i can

Kusuguttai on