As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My friend might have a neurological quirk

AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Basically, he can't close his left eye without closing the right one as well. He can close his right eye alone just fine.

His brother has the reverse of this, where he can't close his right eye without closing his left one. In addition, his brother is left-handed. Different dominant brain hemisphere, different eye. And it looks like it's genetic. Does anyone have any idea what it is though?

delicious.
AyeJaye on

• TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't close just my left eye either and I'm left handed but I suppose that its different wiring genetically.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can wink with both eyes, but I can only raise my left eyebrow (the Spock expression). A friend of mine can only wink with one eye, but can raise both eyebrows.

I think all of that stuff is just slightly different wiring.

admanb on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure on the basis for it but it's not hazardous to one's health

not all people can naturally do all bodily movements

however I believe it is possible to TRAIN yourself to be able to do it

if you really don't like being unable to do it, practice, and you'll eventually be able to

Raneados on
  • AyeJayeAyeJaye Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nah it's not a problem I just wanted to find out what might be responsible for it.

AyeJaye on
    delicious.
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Used to not be able to

and then I tried and tried and then I could

The Black Hunter on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There are lots of similar quirks. Many are genetic; some can probably be overcome with training. I can raise my right eyebrow without raising the left one, but not the other way around. I've tried and tried, but all that happens is that I start feeling vaguely nauseous. Apparently a friend of mine did teach himself to move both eyebrows independently, though, so I dunno.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    i found it very natural to raise my left eyebrow alone, but i couldn't do my right

eventually I found, after many months/years of occasionally trying, that I could move both

however I cannot flare my nostrils or move my ears

Raneados on