As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Book thread: Distractions welcome

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've been reading Ilium by Dan Simmons and good lord it's some of the best science fiction I've ever read. Is everything by Simmons this good?.

My brother loves his stuff. He wrote a few science fiction books, a few really gritty noir books, and has apparently written some other stuff.

DouglasDanger on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've been reading Ilium by Dan Simmons and good lord it's some of the best science fiction I've ever read. Is everything by Simmons this good?.

My brother loves his stuff. He wrote a few science fiction books, a few really gritty noir books, and has apparently written some other stuff.

My only problem with Simmons is that I never really like his sequels. Illium is awesome, and Hyperion is wonderful, but then I didn't like either Olympos or Fall of Hyperion. It just feels like his stories lose their tightness after the first book.

But other people really like all his stuff.

Langly on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Huff puff puff

my Dan Simmons radar went off and I got here as fast as I could.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Butler wrote: »
    Just started on "Guns, Germs and Steel". I've been meaning to read this for years. Best part is, it's required reading for the class I'm doing on plant breeding, so it counts as homework. 8-)

It's pretty interesting stuff, the way it all comes together

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Huff puff puff

my Dan Simmons radar went off and I got here as fast as I could.
    You're actually the reason I picked up Hyperion and Ilium. A bit disappointing to hear that the sequels may not be as enjoyable though.

Cilla Black on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    that's my opinion - bale loves them! So maybe you will too!

Langly on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I loved them. The third was more of a pleasant buzz than a rip-roaring drunk like the other three, but still enjoyable. I can't really get people not liking the second one. He delivers on the first one's cliffhanger ending and retroactively weaves a new (and compelling) character back into the first one. No small feat given how dense and intricate it is.

Other than the Hyperion books, I've read The Terror by Simmons. It was pretty damn fantastic. I've got Carrion Comfort queued up next and hopes are running high.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm on a William Gibson kick lately, he's pretty rad.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My brother got me three pulp sci fi novels from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, like, the ones that were $1 a piece. They were all real fast reads, one better than the other two by a long shot, but now I'm on a weird old school sci fi kick with no real knowledge of where to go next.

I've already read Bester, and I really like the whole 50s view of the future style novels.

Wombat!! on
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Heinlein's not really pulp, but his stuff definitely has an older feel so you might want to try something of his.

Ol' Sparky on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    nobody expects the heinlein inquisition

his chief weapon is rampant sexual deviancy

and misogyny

his chief weapons

no wait let's start again

Quoth on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not quite pulp but Brave New World counts as old school sci-fi in my book and doubles as one of my favorite novels, you could check that out if you haven't.

Peen on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    heinlein is alright

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Heinlein was crazier then a sumbitch

I read the two Dirk Gentley books the past few days

God bless you, Douglas Adams

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited February 2010
    i have one of the dirk gently books in my truck. need to read it.

man, i am going to see about testing out of english tomorrow!

i'm pretty fucking stoked.

Dead Legend on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's probably a cinch

I accidentally read The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul before Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency and it didn't end up making a difference

He is one of my favorite PI's

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited February 2010
    the way they word the requirements make it seem like it's a difficult essay to test out of the class

for the course i'm trying to test out of it says i gotta solve a specific problem in literary analysis.

i've done far better on all my in-class essays than i have done on any of my take-home ones, so i suspect that this will play to my strengths better.

Dead Legend on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    nobody expects the heinlein inquisition

his chief weapon is rampant sexual deviancy

and misogyny

his chief weapons

no wait let's start again

:^:

Centipede Damascus on
    edited February 2010
    i was telling my husband about how philip k dick is also a misogynist and his response was

"well his name isn't philip k pussy"

Quoth on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not quite pulp but Brave New World counts as old school sci-fi in my book and doubles as one of my favorite novels, you could check that out if you haven't.

Oh, I've read it all right. It was real good! Imma head to the library in a titch, see if they have any Heinlein

Wombat!! on
    edited February 2010
    i was telling my husband about how philip k dick is also a misogynist and his response was

your husband is a badass

Dead Legend on
    edited February 2010
    Brave New World is an absolute must-read for everyone, but I can't honestly say I'll ever want to read it again. But I said the same thing about 1984 a decade ago and that's been whispering at me for a re-read for a while now.

Cilla Black on
    edited February 2010

your husband is a badass

That may be the best possible response that he could have given. Bravo sir.

Peen on
    edited February 2010
    Brave New World is good if you read it on your own.

If you have to read it in class you might stab your fellow classmates.

Dead Legend on
    edited February 2010
    i have good husband

he make the funny

Quoth on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so, I was in my library and saw a book called "Little Brother". The side had a generic picture of teens in action poses in front of an X filled with zeros and ones. I thought, "Oh, cute. An Orwellian pun, hahaha." I removed it from the shelf to see the description on the back of the book, and I froze when I saw the cover. Neil Gaiman, of all people, said it was the book he'd recommend over any other book the year it was published, 2008. I then turned it over, stunned, and instead of a short synopsis I saw a list of quotes from various people talking about how good it was, including another Gaiman quote, and a quote from Brian K Vaughan.

Has anyone else read it, I'm tempted to read it

Antimatter on
    edited February 2010
    one time i read a book that my friend said she loved as a kid and it was pretty terrible

and then i noticed that the recommendation on the cover was by terry goodkind

Quoth on
    edited February 2010
    I remember loving Madeleine L'engle as a kid. Wonder if she's held up.

Cilla Black on
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I remember enjoying random Battletech and Dragonlance novels.

Dead Legend on
    edited February 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    so, I was in my library and saw a book called "Little Brother". The side had a generic picture of teens in action poses in front of an X filled with zeros and ones. I thought, "Oh, cute. An Orwellian pun, hahaha." I removed it from the shelf to see the description on the back of the book, and I froze when I saw the cover. Neil Gaiman, of all people, said it was the book he'd recommend over any other book the year it was published, 2008. I then turned it over, stunned, and instead of a short synopsis I saw a list of quotes from various people talking about how good it was, including another Gaiman quote, and a quote from Brian K Vaughan.

This is one of the 5 most recommended/loved teen books of that year. I mean people were raving about it like they were about The Hunger Games. Read it, its vision of the near future is mildly uncanny.

Peen on
    edited February 2010
    my local elementary school gifted class reads A Wrinkle In Time

4th grade i believe

so someone still thinks it's pretty swell

Quoth on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

This is one of the 5 most recommended/loved teen books of that year. I mean people were raving about it like they were about The Hunger Games. Read it, its vision of the near future is mildly uncanny.

OK then, right after I finish Cosmos

Antimatter on
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    my local elementary school gifted class reads A Wrinkle In Time

4th grade i believe

so someone still thinks it's pretty swell
    I loved that series soooooooooooooo much when I was a kid!

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    edited February 2010
    A Wrinkle In Time was the best one overall, but the one that takes place before the Great Flood was probably my favorite as a kid. Many Waters is the title according to wikipedia. Angels walking the earth and such and generally being just as corrupt as the people they consorted with.

Cilla Black on
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh god I loved it so much!

Little Brother is great. I read it, despite being "too old," and loved it -- Cory Doctorow is my hero & he's doing the right thing. The book even teaches you internet security 101.

I'll argue Heinlein was good before he got old. I like him when he's talking about spaceships and rugged individualism.

I don't like him much when he talks about sex. It's icky, the way the whole early sixties was icky, the way Brigitte Bardot movies were icky -- the "sexual revolution" as a smorgasbord of creamy thighflesh, set to a Herb Alpert soundtrack. I say "Feh," but then again straight girls don't get much out of an assortment of delightfully available redheads, blondes, and brunettes.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
    edited February 2010
    I love the Wrinkle in Time books

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    I should read them again though, I haven't since I was like 10 or 11.

also t Cilla, aside from one storyline that I did not like the direction it took, I think Olympos is a perfect followup to Ilium. Fall of Hyperion is kind of a different thing, Hyperion is so good on so many levels that it's pretty much impossible to really follow up on. I mean as far as resolution to the story goes, Fall of Hyperion works just fine in that regard (and I like the two Endymion books as well). But really nothing can match what Simmons achieves in Hyperion, it is a fucking masterpiece of narrative and writing and I say that with no hyperbole intended.

It's hard to explain if you have not read it, but yeah don't go into Fall of Hyperion expecting Hyperion redux, that's the key.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was too young when I read those books. All I remember is the word tesseract and that the girl wore a blazer.

Tam on
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I fucking loved The Mad Scientists' Club books when I was a kid. god bless whoever put those books on my third grade classroom shelf about thirty years before I came along and read them

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    wrinkle in time is hella christian allegory

allegory might not be the word i want but i dont care man i am blazin with the white album bros

Kusuguttai on
This discussion has been closed.