As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PowerPC Mac for a Silly Goose who won't stop fucking up his machine

PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
This man will remain nameless, but let's just say that he's a Silly Goose and unfortunately I'm pretty much stuck with him and his incredible ability to cock up every machine he touches.

Not going to bother with the list of what I've already tried, but the long and the veiny of it is that I'm now considering getting him away from x86 entirely and on to a PowerPC-based Mac. Security through obsolence, in a manner of speaking. Any of the "Click here for 1000 free cursors!" spyware will promptly throw a lovely Your Macintosh doesn't know how to run this application error when he downloads it. I could try a regular Intel Mac, but he doesn't want to spend that kind of money and for some reason doesn't like the Mac Mini. (In case you're wondering, yes, he does like to make things difficult sometimes.)

So. I want something that will be able to handle standard web surfing, office work, some photo editing, Facebook, the occasional Flash webpage (no HD video or anything though.) I don't really know my PPC Macs too well, so what's the minimum I should be looking at here? There's a fair number of first-gen MDD Macs (Dual G4/867) that pop up on eBay and local places, and from what I've read if I stuff it to the gills with RAM it'll run Tiger or even Leopard pretty well. If I'm patient I could probably score an early G5 tower which has the advantage of being faster and it looking like more like a Mac Pro so he can think he's got some Real Hot Shit under his desk.

Thoughts, pointers, models I should run screaming away from? I know the liquid-cooled G5s had a history of pissing coolant everywhere but that's the high-end machines (G5 Quad) only.

tl;dr what's the cheapest PowerPC Mac that'll do well with office/photo/Facebook/Flash, after a RAM upgrade?

Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
PeregrineFalcon on

• SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    powerPC sucks ass. I'm not even talking about it being outdated.

Even back then the performance was unreliable.

a powerbook G4 runs between 200 to 400 depending on your bidding luck.

They are walking deadbooks though. They WILL fuck up. Sooner than later. You're buying the equivalent of one of those $500 disposable cars. You get a cheap car but it's soon just going to be a bunch of worthless parts.

Just get an entry level macbook, it's worth it for the warranty alone, as well as the whole not wanting to punch your computer in the face thing.

P.S- PowerPC sucks. Ass.

Sam on
  • FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    powerPC sucks ass. I'm not even talking about it being outdated.

Even back then the performance was unreliable.

a powerbook G4 runs between 200 to 400 depending on your bidding luck.

They are walking deadbooks though. They WILL fuck up. Sooner than later. You're buying the equivalent of one of those $500 disposable cars. You get a cheap car but it's soon just going to be a bunch of worthless parts.

Just get an entry level macbook, it's worth it for the warranty alone, as well as the whole not wanting to punch your computer in the face thing.

P.S- PowerPC sucks. Ass.

Shut your dirty bitch ass mouth. I've got a early slot load G3 iMac (400mhz of fury whoo) from 1999, a beige g3 I never use anymore, and one of the last G4 Powermacs that's online 24/7 as a home server and also my mothers computer. NOTHING has broken. Ever. Sorry you suck.

A PPC G4 above 1.25GHZ will be plenty of speed for someone who isn't going to use it for the latest games. It can't decode 1080p Video, but really, that's the only thing it can't do.

I suggest looking for a dual 1.42 GHz Powermac G4 and slapping a shit ton of ram in it. G5s are priced INSANE for some reason.

Falken on
  • desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've been a mac user since before multifinder, and repair them for a living. Unless you have a very specific reason to need PPC, like a turnkey solution, or Digital Audio Workstation soft you can't afford to upgrade- don't do it.
    There's all kinds of annoying niggles for pretty much all of the models. Flash on PPC is dog-ass slow. You're going to pay more for less. Even the first gen Core-equipped machines will destroy all but the best from the PPC era.
    My suggestion would be to get a used Core Solo Mini and strap it to the back of an LCD. He won't see it, so what difference does it make.

If you absolutely are set on it, go find a Quicksilver DP. They're probably the best price/performance ratio of PPC machines.

desdinova on
    wat
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The problem with PPC is that it's dead. As in, no longer supported. He won't be able to get software updates. for hardly anything. Snow Leopard doesn't support Power PC. You'll get left behind eventually.

That said, my PowerPC 1.67 G4 Powerbook was doing just fine, if a little slow, for the tasks you mentioned above. Got a new MBP for Christmas, and there's no comparison. The MBP Screams.

So I would recommend looking for an earlier intel Mac.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Linux, baby.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpelunkerSpelunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Linux, baby.

You really think the individual described above would be unable to screw up a linux box?

Spelunker on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Through the way described, yes. You can lock down everything else tight. It's a free alternative to try before, y'know, buying a different computer.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    just make a linux box that resets itself after every reboot safe for a small user directory, with just the buttons "make picture" "make email" "surf web" linking to gimp, thunderbird and firefox

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you're going to go linux, go with netbook remix. Even if you're going to put it on a desktop, it presents itself more like an "appliance" than anything else.

desdinova on
    wat
  • RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    just make a linux box that resets itself after every reboot safe for a small user directory, with just the buttons "make picture" "make email" "surf web" linking to gimp, thunderbird and firefox

That is a fantastic suggestion

You just solved my grandparents comp idea..

Ryna on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Or some Linux distro in kiosk-mode.

Impersonator on
  • lijrobertlijrobert Registered User new member
    My early PowerMac G5 1.6GHz runs every web thing I have thrown at it (Haven't done any real stress tests though) and I think would work great for "Silly Goose"

• FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    Shame it doesn't run "read the date posted".

How did you even find this thread?