As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ratchet & Clank] Thread - Megecorp has your interests at heart.

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    So can someone help me, is there a way to get subs in-game outside movies because I cannot tell a fucking thing any of the robots or pretty much anyone but Ratchet is saying.

DarkWarrior on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm enjoying this enough so far, but I hate all the stupid time puzzles

All they do is slow down the pace of an otherwise awesome fast-paced action game

It's telling that the part I enjoyed the most so far was when I was Ratchet sans Clank

tl;dr Clank can go die in a fire

EDIT: This is not limited to A Crack in Time, the Clank sections are always always always the worst part of the series. I have not played Secret Agent Clank but I can imagine the feeling of playing it is like being stabbed in the gut repeatedly

UnbreakableVow on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hah, I like the time puzzles. I wish there were a few more of the globe ones though.

My favorite part of the game is the Agorian Battleplex. Some of those challenges are downright fiendish.

zilo on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Arena sections are always great though.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    edited January 2010
    I do love that they made space travel not-shitty this time!

UnbreakableVow on
    edited January 2010
    By the way, does this game seem oddly pixelated to anyone else? I don't think it's a problem with my TV, but everyone's talking about how great this game looks graphically when Tools of Destruction/Quest for Booty look a lot smoother.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    By the way, does this game seem oddly pixelated to anyone else? I don't think it's a problem with my TV, but everyone's talking about how great this game looks graphically when Tools of Destruction/Quest for Booty look a lot smoother.

No, there's this weird boxy pattern you can see which I can't remember the actual term for. And there's aliasing out the wazoo too, especially noticable because of all the straight long lines.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Post processing effects that happen at a bit of a distance seem to be done at half resolution (so, explosions, etc) and get pixelly. I imagine this is why CiT is their last 60fps game, too much effort and quality sacrificed.
    Oddly enough I have Dragon Age on the PC doing the same thing.

I don't really notice aliasing though.

Glal on
    edited January 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Post processing effects that happen at a bit of a distance seem to be done at half resolution (so, explosions, etc) and get pixelly. I imagine this is why CiT is their last 60fps game, too much effort and quality sacrificed.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about

It looks really poor when doing those moon side missions and I'm blowing stuff up

I don't know, I just preferred the look overall of ToD

UnbreakableVow on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

No, there's this weird boxy pattern you can see which I can't remember the actual term for. And there's aliasing out the wazoo too, especially noticable because of all the straight long lines.

Yeah, Insomniac's engine has never really been that great looking but it's really showing its age now. I seriously can't believe Giant Bomb nominated it for best graphics of the year over Killzone 2.

Anyway, I thought the Crank puzzles were great but the problem with them is that they really mess with the pacing.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait, so if Ratchet and Clank are separated for this game, at least for a part of it, does that mean that Ratchet doesn't have a helicopter on his back to hover?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited January 2010
    Not at the start. Part of the way through you get jet boots, which also allow you to semi-hover.

Glal on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So is quest for Booty worth buying, or not?

SilkyNumNuts on
    edited January 2010
    If you liked ToD, yes. It's shorter, but cheaper for it. Well, it used to be, both it and ToD go for about the same price around here these days.

Glal on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really, really want to get into these games. I've played the demos for both ToD and CiT, and they're a blast, but oh god the backlog I'm under already. I'm hoping I'll be able to wear it down enough so that I can finally buy them sometime this year.

Artereis on
    edited January 2010
    Keep in mind the games aren't that long. If you ignore challenge mode (ie, second replay at a harder difficulty that unlocks even more weapon stages and gives you a bolt multiplier for killing enemies without getting hit) you can finish any of the games over a weekend, they're not games you need to invest weeks into completing.

Glal on
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, that kinda sucked. Just finished Challenge Mode on Hard. I bumped up the difficulty right after I took control of Clank hoping it would give me the trophies for both Challenge and Hard and then my shiny shiny Platinum but no luck. I guess I need to start completely fresh save on hard. Balls.

Jayricho on
    edited January 2010
    That's a little upsetting, but I guess it makes sense. Challenge Mode gives you a hand in terms of bolts, but the trophies only make sense on a vanilla run through.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You have to bump up the difficulty shortly before switching over to challenge mode and it'll register as it being on hard and work for the trophy. This game is all kinds of great fun. I have heavily enjoyed all of my playthroughs.

TheGerbil on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you've beaten the game and haven't collected all the Zoni and finished the extra super final bonus boss fight, you really should. The reward is well worth it.
    <3 the Insomniac Museum. It's laid out like their offices in Burbank!

zilo on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just "completed" this the other day, need to go back and finish all the planets and the arena battles. Loved the game, but I actually enjoyed Tools of Destruction more, I think it had the better weapons. I loved the little green slime dudes.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    If you've beaten the game and haven't collected all the Zoni and finished the extra super final bonus boss fight, you really should. The reward is well worth it.
    <3 the Insomniac Museum. It's laid out like their offices in Burbank!

Haven't done that yet, cause I'm missing a few Zoni, but I have no idea where. And if I find a planet with say, 1/2 Zonis found, it's ALOT of space to cover to find one fucking guy. I went looking for about 20mins, then said fuck this and popped God of War I/II in.

Eventually I want to go back and revisit the Challenge Mode.

DrunkMc on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Treasure mapper should cause that stuff to show up on your map. Hit select when your on the planet.

TheGerbil on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just finished ToD and I loved it so much. These were my favourite games on the PS2, but I hadn't played one in a while and I had forgotten how great they are. I think this may be one of my favourite series ever.

As much as I want to dive into Quest for Booty I'm finishing up AC2 first. But I have a question - if I were to buy a disc version of Quest for Booty on eBay, would it work on a North American console? I'm not sure how the PS3's region locking works. I know it's about half the price on PSN, but I would really like a disc version.

elevature on
    edited January 2010
    I think the PS3 is region free, no?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited January 2010
    elevature wrote: »
    I just finished ToD and I loved it so much. These were my favourite games on the PS2, but I hadn't played one in a while and I had forgotten how great they are. I think this may be one of my favourite series ever.

As much as I want to dive into Quest for Booty I'm finishing up AC2 first. But I have a question - if I were to buy a disc version of Quest for Booty on eBay, would it work on a North American console? I'm not sure how the PS3's region locking works. I know it's about half the price on PSN, but I would really like a disc version.

The PS3 is region free so it should be fine. It may not like NTSC SDTV's though, since most are not compatible with PAL signals but if you've got a HDTV, it should be fine.

You won't be able to import your PAL Quest for Booty save over to a US Crack in Time though, so you might just want to skip the reward (a pirate hat) or just download a US QfB save off GameFAQs.

Unco-ordinated on
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think it was mentioned in this thread but in CiT you'll unlock another skin if you pause the game then press Up, Right, Down, Left, Triangle, Square, X, Circle, R3.

Vray on
    edited January 2010
    So is the pirate dancing minigame a SixAxis thing? I turned motion controls off after the second "Clank wings" section in ToD. I can only imagine the dancing is also SixAxis controlled.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So is the pirate dancing minigame a SixAxis thing? I turned motion controls off after the second "Clank wings" section in ToD. I can only imagine the dancing is also SixAxis controlled.

The only SixAxis part of the dancing mini-game is when you "shake your booty".

Vray on
    edited January 2010
    Ah. I knew flicking the analog stick back and forth felt weird.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Treasure mapper should cause that stuff to show up on your map. Hit select when your on the planet.

What's this now? I did not know they showed up on your map! Nifty, now I will go hunt down the rest of the Zoni! (After God of War of course)

DrunkMc on
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alright (thread necromancy), so now that I have finished AC2, I think it is time to bust out this game. So, for Trophy maximization, the consensus is I should play through the first time on Hard, and then play Challenge Mode after that?

RandomHajile on
  • Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alright (thread necromancy), so now that I have finished AC2, I think it is time to bust out this game. So, for Trophy maximization, the consensus is I should play through the first time on Hard, and then play Challenge Mode after that?

Yes. I played it on Normal once, and the only trophies that I'm missing are for beating Hard mode and Challenge mode.

Junior Yank on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the PS3 is region free, no?

You sir are correct.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited February 2010

Yep, you should be able to get all the other trophies in those two playthroughs as well.

Unco-ordinated on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Talking about trophies, how do you get the "what goes up" skill point in the great clock?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    the faqs say to keep a crate suspended in the air for 3 seconds for that skill point, so i would assume you timebomb a tall stack of crates and then break the bottom one out from under them?

Ah_Pook on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Glal wrote: »

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about

It looks really poor when doing those moon side missions and I'm blowing stuff up

I don't know, I just preferred the look overall of ToD

I haven't noticed any of this stuff. In fact, I definitely would have to agree with Giant Bomb putting it up for best graphics, had it not been for Uncharted 2.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    might just be me, but CIT really failed to live up to my (admittedly very high) expectations. it was still a very fun game, but probably my least favorite of the series that ive played (2, 3, ToD, CiT). mainly because it was extremely short, and the space stuff was super tedious. everything seemed like it had been done better in previous versions. the time puzzles were neat though. and even though its my least favorite so far, i still had a good time playing it and dont regret buying it you know. just left me underwhelmed after getting the platinum.

Ah_Pook on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, I think I've got a bug with the battleplex. it wouldn't let me into the silver cup before, and won't let me actually do the events, though I can look at them.

I'mpretty near the end, I think, I'm pretty definite it's not to do with where I am in the game. Anybody encountered this? I know it's a longshot, but is there a fix? I want the guns!

SilkyNumNuts on