As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Women, basketball, hos and radio hosts

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    And the guy he was interviewing, Bernard McGuirk, said, "Some hardcore hos", to which Imus responded with his 'nappy-headed' thing, and yet, only Imus is taking heat. Interesting. Because I see as much misogyny in McGuirk's statement but apparently it's not a problem so long as you don't use a slang term associated with racism against blacks.

McGuirk wasn't just "the guy he was interviewing," he's a producer on the show. He's apparently a regular, practically part of the cast. At which point it would make sense that Imus would catch more of the heat, because he's the frontman of the whole circus.

Basically, Imus is the only one taking heat because nobody knows who the fuck McGuirk is.

mcdermott on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To the student at Rutgers: it would be easy to say everyone is blowing it out of proportion, but when the women's team is on the news saying they are physically and mentally drained. I would imagine that losing the championship would have slightly more to do with it then Imus.

To be honest, i haven't heard more then anything then the 5 second snippit of actual Imus comment. Was the comment made right after some "Those BLACK rutgers women" or was it made after "That Rutger's women's team" ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Half those girls were 18 years old.

If I have a daughter some day and she is an accomplished athlete I don't want some jackass making misogenistic/racial remarks about her for a national audience while she is just a freshman in college.

I really enjoy Imus, although I don't listen to him regularly - but what he said was really really beyond the acceptable limits. No amount of pushing blame onto the media or Al Sharpton changes the content of what he said. Public attention is what makes Imus a very rich man. You can't complain about it when it suddenly hurts his job prospects and cash flow instead of boosting them.

Shinto on
  • DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    But I'm sure an old radio dinosaur like Imus is a much better target for dumb comments made, one of many that can also be found on popular rap albums.

Comments can vary in offensiveness based on who says them and in what context. A young black rapper talking about random "nappy headed hos" is totally different than an old white guy calling specific black women "nappy headed hos."

I hereby declare that anyone non-white says "peanut" to a white guy is a racist and should lose their job. But if a white guy says peanut it is ok.

Draygo on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To the student at Rutgers: it would be easy to say everyone is blowing it out of proportion, but when the women's team is on the news saying they are physically and mentally drained. I would imagine that losing the championship would have slightly more to do with it then Imus.

So what? They don't have the mental fortitude to cope with somebody who I guarentee they've never heard of throwing a one-liner insult at them? If somebody called me a 'honky' or something, even if I was in an emotionally vulnerable state, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be scarred for life. It's the sort of thing you (I'd) laugh at for being so baroque.

Ein on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is how Al Shaprton has turned racism into a goddamned joke in this country.

You know why people don't take racism seriously anymore? It's crap like this.

nexuscrawler on
    edited April 2007

So what? They don't have the mental fortitude to cope with somebody who I guarentee they've never heard of throwing a one-liner insult at them? If somebody called me a 'honky' or something, even if I was in an emotionally vulnerable state, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be scarred for life. It's the sort of thing you (I'd) laugh at for being so baroque.

You're kind of a useless fuckwit aren't you.

Shinto on
  • drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm curious how all this would have turned out if instead of an old white guy talking, an old black guy was talking on the radio... word for word, the same thing.

It wouldn't have made the news right? He probably would have gotten a few laughs and definitly wouldn't lose his job. How can we be beaten repeatedly with the "treat eachother equal" ideal when it isn't even upheld by the people preaching it? Maybe the problem with racism in this country is that it is leaned too heavily upon as a crutch.

drinkinstout on
    edited April 2007
    This is how Al Shaprton has turned racism into a goddamned joke in this country.

Personally, I have no problem with establishing a social taboo against guys on the radio calling 18 year old women rough looking whores.

Shinto on
    edited April 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

Right back at ya, buddy!

Perhaps you'd like to say something more useful.

Ein on
    edited April 2007

Right back at ya, buddy!

Perhaps you'd like to say something more useful.

Not really shithead. I think it's a service to mark jackasses like you.

Shinto on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    Don Imus has referred to Gwen Ifill as a "cleaning lady," called Amelie Mauresmo "a big old lesbo," called Howard Kurtz a "beanie-wearing little Jewboy," said that "the gorilla special effects in Instinct" reminded him of "the starting line-up of the Knicks," called the Williams sisters "two booma-chucka, big-butted women" while his partner called Venus an "animal" and said that they would more likely be featured in National Geographic than in Playboy (and his said his comments weren't racist, "just zoological."), called an Indian men's doubles team "Gunga Din and Sambo," Contessa Brewer, a female newsreader, left the show because she couldn't handle his abuse, and Stern has said that loved to go around the NBC studio and calling black people the n-word.

But let's be careful before we label him as a misogynist or a racist just because he called a team full of black girls "nappy headed hoes."

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Thank you for the honorable public service of disagreeing with my opinion without any real basis or explaination.

We've actually discussed this in the class I'm in at the moment and a majority of the students in this auditorium with me feel similarly. I can't say that speaks for Rutgers on the whole, but I'd say there's more important things to be worrying about than hurt feelings.

Ein on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Personally, I have no problem with establishing a social taboo against guys on the radio calling 18 year old women rough looking whores.

Yes but wouldn't it be better to actually deal with real discrimination instead fo some stupid fuckwit on the radio? Guys like sharpton make issues out of stuff like this so many times that now when you say "racism" people thing it's piddly crap like this you're talking about. Thus they think it's kind of a joke instead of a real social issue. I'm sorry I feel bad for the girls. It was a mean-spirited insult and Imus is getting wha he deserves.

However wouldn't it be better to talk about the underlying social issues around racism than knee jerk reactionism?

nexuscrawler on
  • Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Next time Chris Rock makes Whitey jokes I'll be sure to call the rainbow coalition since they do not want racism for anybody under any circumstance. They will protest for me. Am i rite?

Manning'sEquation on
    edited April 2007

I don't give a shit who the fuck he is, he shouldn't get paid for saying that shit on television. Fuck, he shouldn't say it even he wasn't getting paid. I never listened to him, and probably wouldn't have even if he wasn't a bigot, but it's unfuckingacceptable that he should be able to say this without consequences.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    Don Imus has referred to Gwen Ifill as a "cleaning lady," called Amelie Mauresmo "a big old lesbo," called Howard Kurtz a "beanie-wearing little Jewboy," said that "the gorilla special effects in Instinct" reminded him of "the starting line-up of the Knicks," called the Williams sisters "two booma-chucka, big-butted women" while his partner called Venus an "animal" and said that they would more likely be featured in National Geographic than in Playboy (and his said his comments weren't racist, "just zoological."), called an Indian men's doubles team "Gunga Din and Sambo," Contessa Brewer, a female newsreader, left the show because she couldn't handle his abuse, and Stern has said that loved to go around the NBC studio and calling black people the n-word.

But let's be careful before we label him as a misogynist or a racist just because he called a team full of black girls "nappy headed hoes."

Never heard that before of Imus, since I never lsiten to him.. but.. where was all the outgrage at those times? Does it only count for black people? Sharpton got on his ass pretty quick i bet.

What is so outrageous about the rutger's team that caused this level of outrage? I liken the black community to christian fundamentalists at this point, since most of those complaining never even heard his show, nor will they. They are just blanket copying the outgrage that the community leaders tell them to have., just like the janet jackson incident..

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Next time Chris Rock makes Whitey jokes I'll be sure to call the rainbow coalition since they do not want racism for anybody under any circumstance. They will protest for me. Am i rite?

entirely different.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tenor and context. I don't recall any incidence of Chris Rock ever targeting a specific group of amateur white athletes for ridicule based on their race alone. When he does, though, yeah you might have a point.

The Green Eyed Monster on
    edited April 2007

Never heard that before of Imus, since I never lsiten to him.. but.. where was all the outgrage at those times? Does it only count for black people? Sharpton got on his ass pretty quick i bet.

What is so outrageous about the rutger's team that caused this level of outrage? I liken the black community to christian fundamentalists at this point, since most of those complaining never even heard his show, nor will they. They are just blanket copying the outgrage that the community leaders tell them to have., just like the janet jackson incident..

he has gotten in trouble before. And it's a damn shame there wasn't as big an outrage... maybe he could have been fired by now if there were a Jewish version of Al Sharpton. Someone to call him the fuck out.

Variable on
    edited April 2007

Never heard that before of Imus, since I never lsiten to him.. but.. where was all the outgrage at those times? Does it only count for black people?

It was about black people before. Did you even read my post. This time it was just a lucky coincidence, and I'm glad he's getting shit for it. Do you think he shouldn't get shit for it, and why not?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited April 2007

I don't give a shit who the fuck he is, he shouldn't get paid for saying that shit on television. Fuck, he shouldn't say it even he wasn't getting paid. I never listened to him, and probably wouldn't have even if he wasn't a bigot, but it's unfuckingacceptable that he should be able to say this without consequences.

A local radio station changed formats literally overnight, and they just happen to have their studios about 1 block from my workplace. Some of the comments on that station are just as 'offensive' as what is said by Imus. Judging by the promotional posters around the station, and by comments overheard on air, 'nappy headed ho's' are minor words. Should I mention that this station changed from a 'alternative' rock station to a black rap / R&B station? Should we cancel the protests?

I *do* think Imus was retarded for saying such things.. but.. can you honestly look me in the eye and complain about his comments when the exact same words are used to describe women by the black community themselves.

It might be a disconnect from the older, wiser members vs the new generation, but if a word is verboten, then its right out for everyone. Racisim is not whites vs blacks, it goes both ways.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    edited April 2007

A local radio station changed formats literally overnight, and they just happen to have their studios about 1 block from my workplace. Some of the comments on that station are just as 'offensive' as what is said by Imus. Judging by the promotional posters around the station, and by comments overheard on air, 'nappy headed ho's' are minor words. Should I mention that this station changed from a 'alternative' rock station to a black rap / R&B station? Should we cancel the protests?

I *do* think Imus was retarded for saying such things.. but.. can you honestly look me in the eye and complain about his comments when the exact same words are used to describe women by the black community themselves.

It might be a disconnect from the older, wiser members vs the new generation, but if a word is verboten, then its right out for everyone. Racisim is not whites vs blacks, it goes both ways.

using the word 'ho' and calling a specific group of people 'hos' is entirely different.

Variable on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    using the word 'ho' and calling a specific group of people 'hos' is entirely different.
    And fuck what you heard, speaker and context do make a difference.

edited April 2007

Yes but wouldn't it be better to actually deal with real discrimination instead fo some stupid fuckwit on the radio? Guys like sharpton make issues out of stuff like this so many times that now when you say "racism" people thing it's piddly crap like this you're talking about. Thus they think it's kind of a joke instead of a real social issue. I'm sorry I feel bad for the girls. It was a mean-spirited insult and Imus is getting wha he deserves.

However wouldn't it be better to talk about the underlying social issues around racism than knee jerk reactionism?

There's plenty of oxygen in the world, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Shinto on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As for saying that Al Sharpton is actually encouraging racism, I wouldn't be suprised if that was his intention. African Americans have a social power, and as a result can do things that other people cannot. If racism was truly aboloished, that social power wouldn't really exist.

piL on
  • LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    Ok, I'm pleading ignorance.

Nappy has always meant "dirty, unwashed" and "ho" has always been a shortened/slang form of "whore" to me.

Is there some racist conotation that I've missed in my cultural education?

Yes. My hair gets natuarally nappy if its long enough, especially right after a shower. Most black peoples hair is like this. It's widely regarded as a bad thing(by many blacks) because back in the day, slave owners put it into their minds that it was- because blacks were supposedly inferior. So now nappy hair is a bad thing even though its natural and can look good.

So yeah, you claiming that it has always ment dirty and unwashed is kinda fucked up.

Where did you learn this word and who told you it meant what you thought it meant?

LRG on
    edited April 2007
    piL wrote: »
    As for saying that Al Sharpton is actually encouraging racism, I wouldn't be suprised if that was his intention. African Americans have a social power, and as a result can do things that other people cannot. If racism was truly aboloished, that social power wouldn't really exist.
    That's some of the dumbest shit I've read in my life.

edited April 2007
    celery77 wrote: »

You're right, noone capitalizes on the power of appearing disenfranchised.

piL on
    edited April 2007

You're right -- black people benefit from racism.

How did I not see it before?

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LRG wrote: »

Nappy has always meant "dirty, unwashed" and "ho" has always been a shortened/slang form of "whore" to me.

Yes. My hair gets natuarally nappy if its long enough, especially right after a shower. Most black peoples hair is like this. It's widely regarded as a bad thing(by many blacks) because back in the day, slave owners put it into their minds that it was- because blacks were supposedly inferior. So now nappy hair is a bad thing even though its natural and can look good.

Ok, so it's an adjective to describe hair. Thanks for that gem.
    So yeah, you claiming that it has always ment dirty and unwashed is kinda fucked up.

What part about "to me" do you not understand? I never claimed that it always meant that.
    Where did you learn this word and who told you it meant what you thought it meant?

rofl. I guess I learned it where people learn everything else?

(tv!)

Sorry?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited April 2007

Appearing? Explain yourself.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited April 2007

You're right -- black people benefit from racism.

How did I not see it before?

As opposed to all black people being magically linked via telepathic faeries that says that each one is in it for the betterment of his race and each is truly wounded when someone says something cold? I forgot about that exclusive "nobility-gene" found only in people of African descent.

I say Al Sharpton could be a hatemonger because he and other people do benefit from racism. And some people do benefit from it. I may also benefit from Ebola if a rich aunt dies and I get all her shit, but that doesn't mean Ebola is a good thing.

piL on
    edited April 2007

Well, they're not disenfranchised, but I used the wrong word too. I just meant being badoff because of race, but disenfrachisment is strictly limited to suffrage. In America only convicts and minors are disenfranchised (and the unnaturalized). But I don't think Al Sharpton is bad off because of racism. I don't think that he's personally offended because of some radio douche's sniping bigotry.

piL on
  • LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LRG wrote: »

Ok, so it's an adjective to describe hair. Thanks for that gem.

What part about "to me" do you not understand? I never claimed that it always meant that.

rofl. I guess I learned it where people learn everything else?

(tv!)

Sorry?

You claimed ignorance, I didn't take it as an insult at all, no need to apologize. But in your ignorance, you kinda have been perpetuating some lowlevel racist shit

but whatever.

LRG on
    edited April 2007

Well, they're not disenfranchised, but I used the wrong word too. I just meant being badoff because of race, but disenfrachisment is strictly limited to suffrage. In America only convicts and minors are disenfranchised (and the unnaturalized). But I don't think Al Sharpton is bad off because of racism. I don't think that he's personally offended because of some radio douche's sniping bigotry.

I don't know the fuck you're talking about, so I'm just going to cut to what I thought you were saying (and probably did say). Are you saying racism benefits minorities (african americans in this case)?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    All I want to know is why I'm supposed to give a flying shit about what some old, dried up douchebag has to say about a group of some of the manliest women in the country when we finally know who Anna Nicole Smith's baby's daddy is.

Come on people.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited April 2007

I don't know the fuck you're talking about, so I'm just going to cut to what I thought you were saying (and probably did say). Are you saying racism benefits minorities (african americans in this case)?

It benefits specific ones. Wealthy or famous minority members that don't have to worry about predjudice in job markets, ghettoed neighborhoods with inferior schools, etc. Those people are also the people that are in the public eye, and so when people complain about them going about it the wrong way

Examples:
    I don't hate Sharpton, he is just an attention whore looking to ge as much media exposure as possible.
    Nova_C wrote: »
    And Sharpton can kiss my ass. His kind of grandstanding and overreacting only encourages racism.

I was saying that there is that racism has it's double edges (even if for most people it's sharper for one side) and that white people aren't the only people that wield it. Wealthy/famous members of minorites do as well.

piL on
    edited April 2007
    As opposed to all black people being magically linked via telepathic faeries that says that each one is in it for the betterment of his race and each is truly wounded when someone says something cold? I forgot about that exclusive "nobility-gene" found only in people of African descent.
    I have no idea what this means or how it relates to my post whatsoever.
    piL wrote:
    I say Al Sharpton could be a hatemonger because he and other people do benefit from racism. And some people do benefit from it. I may also benefit from Ebola if a rich aunt dies and I get all her shit, but that doesn't mean Ebola is a good thing.
    You're right, some people do benefit from racism. Generally we refer to those people as "white people."

• wookieeArmourwookieeArmour Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well for one, none of those girls have ever heard or listened to Imus. I've never listened to Imus.

Why are they so worried about his stupid off handed comments? They aren't, they just know it's good media exposure. I'm sure they've been called worse by their own friends, white or black.....so don't give me the babe in the woods routine where they have virgin ears. They are being used by sharpton and his people to push sharptons agenda.......whatever it is.

It doesn't have anything to do with advancing race relations though, or any christian values.

wookieeArmour on