As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect 1&2 - Ahhhhhh yes, the "REAPERS".

BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
Masseffectlogo.png

Wiki wrote:
Mass Effect is an award-winning, bestselling series of science fiction RPG third person shooters developed by the Canadian company BioWare and released on the Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows. The first game takes place in the year 2183, with the player assuming the role of an elite human soldier named Commander Shepard, set out to explore the Galaxy on a starship, the SSV Normandy. The Xbox 360 edition was released worldwide in November 2007 published by Microsoft Game Studios. The Windows edition was released on May 28, 2008, published by Electronic Arts. The first downloadable content package, Bring Down the Sky, was released on March 10, 2008 (with a PC version released on July 29, 2008) The second downloadable content package, Pinnacle Station, was released on August 25, 2009 for the PC and Xbox 360.

Essentially everything you need to know about the first Mass Effect game is located here.

Alternately, you can trawl through the old OP.

If you've got Steam issues with the first game, a good place to look for information is by clicking on this sentence.

urlrt.jpg

Release Date:

It's already been released for the Xbox 360 and the TurboGrafx 16. Why haven't you bought it already?
What is wrong with you?

Screenshots:

infiltrator01o.jpg infiltrator02o.jpg screenshot053od.jpg screenshot054o.jpg screenshot056o.jpg screenshot058o.jpg m9201o.jpg m9202o.jpg screenshot040oc.jpg

Videos/Media:

Most can be found here.

Interviews and other videos can be found here.

Additional Info:

If you really NEED to contact Commander Shepard, we have his facebook.

masseffectbook.jpg masseffectbook2.jpg masseffectbook3.jpg

ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS REGARDING MASS EFFECT 2 ARE LOCATED HERE, COURTESY OF GIANTBOMB.
THE PAGE DETAILS THE ENTIRE GAME, SO SPOILERS ARE ABOUND. BE WARNED.

Mass Effect Soundtrack music can be pretty much found on YouTube, but you should buy it to get the full effect of the lossless bitrate.

Mass Effect 1 save compendium for those of you that want to import characters in but have lost your own/haven't played the game due to being a heretic.

FIX FOR FREEZING ON THE LOADING SCREEN
Courtesy of pcultimate from the Bioware forums for creating the dummy load.blk files and mtvnot from Piratebay for figuring out the fucked up .blk files that don't play correctly for whatever reason:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1KHDBLIL

Get those files.

Replace the following files ONLY, NOT ALL OF THEM, or you won't be able to move forward with the game past the IFF sequence of events. Only the files below are broken, the rest you should be able to watch.

load_f01
load_f02c
load_f02d
load_f03
load_f03b
load_f05
load_f06
load_f08
load_f08b
load_f08c
load_f08d
load_f09
load_f09b
load_f09c
load_f09d
load_f15
load_f80_ESN
load_f80_INT

If you're getting in-game freezing every few seconds, do the following:

Go to the folder where you installed the game.

Go to Binaries and make a shortcut of MassEffect2.exe.

Now open properties on this shortcut and add the line -nomoviestartup.

It should look like this "...Binaries\MassEffect2.exe" -nomoviestartup.

Start the game. It should work lag free now.

BlackDove on

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Insanity would be a pain in the ass without incendiary shells.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just got done with Okeere on Insane.

Didn't even have to use the Cain since I started playing.

BlackDove on
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BlackDove, you're working too hard.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How big is the jump in diff from Hardcore to Insanity anyway?

Dragkonias on
  • PerytonPeryton Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game should have one achievement worth 1000 points, and it should just be, "Headbutt a Krogan".

I can't think of any more amazing video game moment ever.

Peryton on
    edited February 2010

AUUURRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*keels over*

BlackDove on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Peryton wrote: »
    This game should have one achievement worth 1000 points, and it should just be, "Headbutt a Krogan".

Charging a Krogan as he charged me and winning was also every awesome.

Dragkonias on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I like that one side mission where you ninja kick one of those dog aliens in the face.

aBlank on
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Halfway through my second play thru - this may be the best game ever.

Also Miranda got a big fat aaaaaaaaasssssssssssssss.

Teth on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »

*keels over*

*Taps Codec*

Naomi, BlackDove just died too! What the hell is going on here?!

Dunxco on
    edited February 2010
    Dunxco wrote: »

*keels over*

*Taps Codec*

Naomi, BlackDove just died too! What the hell is going on here?!

A HEARTATTACK!

In other news: I didn't know that my partymembers' powers had infinite reach and didn't need line of sight to hit my enemies. All they need is for ME to have line of sight, and to click on the power.

Weird, but on Insanity, I'll take it.

BlackDove on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Who're you partying up with the most on your Insanity runthrough anyway?

Dunxco on
    edited February 2010
    So I've done a few Loyalty missions.

Zaeed
    I liked that this one gave me a choice to make. I decided to save the workers, and was then completely fooled when it told me to 'catch Vido before he escapes!' Zaeed's reaction was completely believable and it was a fun mission to run.
    I know that Zaeed isn't as 'complete' a character as the others, but I still really like him. Like I said in the last thread, I just love his stories about Jesse.

Jacob
    Some people have complained, but I thought this quest was good. I especially liked that Jacob realized how badly things had gone and it was Shepard who was trying to rationalize what was happening. There was no big conflict for Jake at the end, either - he knew what needed to be done and didn't try to get his old man off the hook.

Miranda
    This one was a lot of fun. I especially liked the Renegade interrupt at the beginning. Shepard breaking that guy's neck was cool, but it was Miranda gunning down the other guy that was especially great. The confrontation with Niket was also good, and taking out that Eclipse bitch was extra satisfying.

Samara
    I really liked this one. No combat, just straight-up playing a part. I was fun walking around in what I knew might be dangerous place without my gear. Also, dancing with Waera yielded one of my favourite lines yet: "Hey, I'm going to dance next to you. If you want to think we're dancing together, go ahead." Such smarm!
    The confrontation between Samara and Morinth was also sufficiently cool, though I thought it wierd that I could just grab one of them. It would have been better if they'd responded by tossing Shepard across the room, and during that moment of distraction, the other strikes. But whatever; it was still a cool scene and one I enjoyed. I also managed to avoid the sound glitch that many people have reported, so go me?

Also just finished the second 'story' mission and I still have Thane and Tali to recruit.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I tried to do Insanity right off of my Normal playthrough on my Adept. Couldn't get past Freedom's Progress.

Might give it another shot with my Sentinel, the Invisibility Armor probably helps

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited February 2010
    So...has anyone played Engineer?

I hear a lot about Soldier, Vanguard, Infiltrator, and Adept...but not much as far as Sentinel or Engi goes.

Dragkonias on
    edited February 2010
    In other news: I didn't know that my partymembers' powers had infinite reach and didn't need line of sight to hit my enemies. All they need is for ME to have line of sight, and to click on the power.

Weird, but on Insanity, I'll take it.
    I've noticed this, too. I'm only playing on Vet, but even so it's been really handy, especially when dealing with Scions or Praetorians.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    edited February 2010

It depends on what you are and what you do.

I'm an Adept, a biotic. Means aside from the SMG I have no true way to deal damage to shields. So what I did right now for the O'keere mission was bring my good buddy Garrus and Miranda, both of who have Overload, which on normal enemies take out shields in one shot, and on the Centurions and such in two shots (there being both of them, ho ho ho, Centurion/Legionnaire be fucked).

Once the enemy is down to armor, that's where I come in with my Warp, and my Viper Sniper rifle, the armor is gone within seconds.

And once "Health" is reached, it's over, my biotics make everything dance through the air, everything dies by simply clipping off the screen, I don't even have to kill stuff.

What they said is true - bring a team that covers your weaknesses and there will be no problems. I'm a biotic, I have my weaknesses, party members compensate. I died maybe five times since I started playing, now I'm locked to go to Horizon.

Feels good man.

BlackDove on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

I use Miranda as my constant companion and usually Legion/Tali/Samara. Depending on my mood.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was reading an FAQ and apparently on Zaeed's loyalty mission, picking the Renegade option gives you a 6th rank damage upgrade for the Assault Rifle.

Min/Max is gonna take priority over morality, I think.

Delta Assault on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    aBlank wrote: »

I like that one side mission where you ninja kick one of those dog aliens in the face.

The best thing about that is that Shephard pulls out his shotgun and then PUTS IT BACK and just kicks the Varren in the face.

So good.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The best thing about that is that Shephard pulls out his shotgun and then PUTS IT BACK and just kicks the Varren in the face.

So good.

Paragon Shepherd clearly feels bad about taking the Varren on in an unfair fight. There are rules, you know.

Solar on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jacob's loyalty quest blew my fucking skull open. I'm like 80/20 Renegade, and even I thought what he did was stone cold.

It's probably not the best of the loyalty missions, but 1) it's still damn good, and 2) there's an extremely long list of excellent loyalty missions. I didn't feel let down in that regard.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Every loyalty mission is good. The best is Tali's though.

Solar on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Klyka wrote: »

So good.

Ugh, that feels like a Wolverine moment. Ya know, how in every X-Men animated series, Wolverine'll snikt out his claws... only to end up kicking a guy, or throwing them into a wall, knocking them unconscious?

Delta Assault on
    edited February 2010
    I was reading an FAQ and apparently on Zaeed's loyalty mission, picking the Renegade option gives you a 6th rank damage upgrade for the Assault Rifle.

Min/Max is gonna take priority over morality, I think.

A noble endeavor and a very sound decision considering that if you spec the Paragon/Renegade power for your class, you can max it out while being at about 50%-75% without.

And my character (Paragon) maxed the bar quite a bit before the ending.

BlackDove on
    edited February 2010
    One thing I really don't get: People who go Renegade but don't help out wounded people.

I mean,you are alread yin a conversation with them. Those people are bleeding out right in front of you.
    What is the reason for letting them die? You gain nothing from letting them die,so why do it?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • StuartenhaffenStuartenhaffen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

That bit would have been cool if it weren't for the fact that my game bugged and the Krogan was invisible. Shepard head butting thin air just didn't seem as bad ass.

Stuartenhaffen on
    edited February 2010

That bit would have been cool if it weren't for the fact that my game bugged and the Krogan was invisible. Shepard head butting thin air just didn't seem as bad ass.

You should send an email to Bioware asking for a full refund of the game.

Because you were ROBBED of the experience.

I'll represent you in the court of law for this justice to be done.

BlackDove on
  • stratslingerstratslinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Quick question on armors:

Do the DLC armors (Blood Dragon and Terminus, specifically) also get the benefits of all the armor upgrades you research or find, or do those only apply to the default armor?

It took a bit to get used to the Blood Dragon armor (looks... odd in a sci fi setting), and I like the idea at least of the couple bonuses it confers, but it just occurred to me that maybe I'm missing out on the benefits of some of my upgrades.

stratslinger on
    edited February 2010

He wasn't invisible.

You headbutted him out of existence.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So ending stuff:
    So if you choose a poor match for the job, they die?
    So Jack does shit at leading people? Jacob being a tech guy or biotic guy would suck?
    Just wondering.
    I sent Tali to lead people back to the Normandy. She made it just fine. What would be a bad choice? Someone not loyal?
    Also, where is my hover tank DLC?!? Bioware!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I beat the game last night. It was pretty intense in spots but the team made it out with no casualties. I decided to blow up the base mainly because I wanted to see the Illusive Man squirm and partially because I got a "What man was not meant to know," vibe from the whole place. I spoke with Leigon afterwards and was suprised to hear what "he" felt about the decision.

I played an engineer that I beat the first game with. I didn't get into AI Hacking but I enjoyed using my Combat Drone as a distraction.

Jay Foxfire on
    Mailman12089.jpg
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

So good.

Ugh, that feels like a Wolverine moment. Ya know, how in every X-Men animated series, Wolverine'll snikt out his claws... only to end up kicking a guy, or throwing them into a wall, knocking them unconscious?

Except Wolverine didn't cruelly execute a half dozen space dog before hand, now did he?

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyway.

Biggest ommision by far
    What's with the lack of gay options bioware? Seriously better sort this out for three.

I mean maybe it was just me, but after Garruses loyalty mission, when he's telling you how he blows off steam, I got hella overtones. Is the scene the same with female Shep?

Leitner on
  • SickwithJusticeSickwithJustice Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    So ending stuff:
    So Jack does shit at leading people? Jacob being a tech guy or biotic guy would suck?
    Just wondering.
    I sent Tali to lead people back to the Normandy. She made it just fine. What would be a bad choice? Someone not loyal?

You get the idea. People who are hybrids or whose character doesn't fit the role given are bad choices.

So Jack sucks at leading firing squads, Garrus or Miranda are better.

Jacob is only half the biotic that Jack or Samara are, so he's still a bad choice for the barrier.

As far as whose a bad choice for the escort, maybe it has something to do with upgrades and loyalty? I used Grunt and expected him to fail but he didn't, and Tali is an even weirder choice. Anybody use Jack for that? Seems like she would suck at escorting people

SickwithJustice on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fuck, I am so close to the end. Must... stay out of... this... god... damned... thread!

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited February 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    So ending stuff:
    Just wondering.

You get the idea. People who are hybrids or whose character doesn't fit the role given are bad choices.

So Jack sucks at leading firing squads, Garrus or Miranda are better.

Jacob is only half the biotic that Jack or Samara are, so he's still a bad choice for the barrier.

As far as whose a bad choice for the escort, maybe it has something to do with upgrades and loyalty? I used Grunt and expected him to fail but he didn't, and Tali is an even weirder choice. Anybody use Jack for that? Seems like she would suck at escorting people
    In my mind,
    Tali seemed perfect since she had covert action experience. She knew how to sneak and be quiet. Honestly, since we are on a Collector space station, no matter how awesome you are, if you stay in one place too long, you will fall. I figured a nimble, quick, clever infiltrator/tech expert type would do well.

Sorry about unclosed spoiler earlier. I really, really hope I didn't spoil anything. Although the details were shallow and it was merely mechanics of the ending. Still, oops.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One thing I really don't get: People who go Renegade but don't help out wounded people.

I mean,you are alread yin a conversation with them. Those people are bleeding out right in front of you.
    What is the reason for letting them die? You gain nothing from letting them die,so why do it?

I dunno, but I got an extra 2,000 credits off the sick Batarian while going to pick up Mordin by letting him die.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    (Jack/Miranda)
    How much paragon/renegade do I need to properly defuse their argument? I didn't have enough the first time I played and you need it pretty much max to stop Miranda from being a bitch, so...

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited February 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    (Jack/Miranda)
    How much paragon/renegade do I need to properly defuse their argument? I didn't have enough the first time I played and you need it pretty much max to stop Miranda from being a bitch, so...

What happens if you fail?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.