As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] New OP - Twice the Size, Half the Content

• Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Is there a torchlight update?

the view update news isn't saying anything but Its downloading a large amount.

Yes. It's a pretty big (in terms of file size) update. The release notes have been pasted in the TL thread.

But I'm a nice guy so here they are:

Torchlight 1.15

* Five new challenge room maps obtainable as rewards for completing various quests from Vasman in Torchlight.
    * New challenges await in the Tomb of the Awakened, Estherian Ruins, Dwarven Fortress, Molten Prison, and Black Palace.
    * Challenge rooms offer players more of an interactive experience, and require some thought to successfully navigate - complete them and reap the rewards!

Content Fixes

* Root Golem Fire Breath now deals damage
    * Ember Bolt had a bad value in higher levels
    * Zealot lightning bolt now does damage
    * Gem effects accumulating when recovering from socketed items
    * Sushi Helm Recipe fix
    * Added Blind Effect for modders
    * New Unittype of Bossmap for modders
    * Multiple spelling fixes
    * Fixed a few spots where floor tiles where missing or had the wrong collision set
    * Fixed various locations where monsters were getting stuck in some levels
    * Limited Multi-language support added for modders ( tool coming )
    * PERCENT_BLEND effect no longer sets the target - for modders
    * Scale effect can now be permanent - for modders Code Fixes
    * Option in Settings file to turn off steam cloud added
    * Settings broke into 2 files. LocalSettings and settings
    * Fixed rare teleport crash
    * Fix for input latency on low FPS for skills; hotbar skills and items
    * Alric Achievement now works on steam
    * Fixed XP not being removed correct after death
    * Passive skills now adhere to equipment requirements
    * Fixed rare case when triggers wouldn't fire correctly
    * Texture overrides fixed in paper doll view
    * Fixed issue with some looping skills

Michael H on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Michael H wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Is there a torchlight update?

the view update news isn't saying anything but Its downloading a large amount.

Yes. It's a pretty big update. The release notes have been pasted in the TL thread.

yeah I forgot there was a Torchlight thread until just after I made that post, came back to edit and boom you already replied. Thanks

Buttcleft on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    Anyone know what that 'stalker ownership check' thing that appeared in my tools menu is?

I didn't notice it yesterday.. pretty sure it's a new addition.

I replied to someone about it yesterday. I tried to run it, but it didn't work. Must be something maybe with Call of Pripyat?

Hawk on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone know what that 'stalker ownership check' thing that appeared in my tools menu is?

As long as Stalker is working unchallenged, I wouldn't worry about it.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Vegan wrote: »

As long as Stalker is working unchallenged, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's software that got copied to my hard drive without explanation or announcement. Asking why is reasonable. ;)

xzzy on
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So this is pretty crazy. If you preorder Metro 2033, a post apocalyptic FPS that looks pretty sweet, you get Red Faction Guerrilla, which is also 50 Euros over here, for free.

peterdevore on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So this is pretty crazy. If you preorder Metro 2033, a post apocalyptic FPS that looks pretty sweet, you get Red Faction Guerrilla, which is also 50 Euros over here, for free.

Ouch. Red Faction: Guerrila is only $20 USD ($15 euros). I've yet to read any previews on Metro 2033 but the pictures make it look really unflattering.

Sanders on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sanders wrote: »

Ouch. Red Faction: Guerrila is only $20 USD ($15 euros). I've yet to read any previews on Metro 2033 but the pictures make it look really unflattering.

I'm waiting for a little more information. What I've read and the trailers piqued my interest.

Antithesis on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Oh that is nuts and I'm actually really interested in Metro 2033.

Now if there was some kind of discount...

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    krylon666 wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    Wow, my computer is dying....Dead Space and Crysis crash like crazy, so i decided to do some diagnostics, 2 of my 4 1gb ram sticks fail nearly 100% in memtest (never seen that before) and one of my cpu cores fails Prime95 within minutes. On top of that my vidcard's fan sounds like it's eating a bearing under full load. I've been building computers for over a decade and never seen so much go wrong at once.

I blame Deadspace, it all started when I installed it!! o_O

Shortly after installing that Fallout inspired MMO, my entire computer went down. I replaced the vid card, but it still would only load video intermittently, ended up replacing the mobo, but it still takes waaay to long to post, so I feel your pain. There is some sort of funky gremlin in my machine.

Fallout inspired MMO?

I'm guessing this: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=106950

Yep, that's the one, they had a 10 day free trial over xmas, and after installation my machine went schizo.

I wouldn't doubt it. The game is as buggy as shit. Did you remove the game and see if everything works?

urahonky on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Wow, my computer is dying....Dead Space and Crysis crash like crazy, so i decided to do some diagnostics, 2 of my 4 1gb ram sticks fail nearly 100% in memtest (never seen that before) and one of my cpu cores fails Prime95 within minutes. On top of that my vidcard's fan sounds like it's eating a bearing under full load. I've been building computers for over a decade and never seen so much go wrong at once.

Shortly after installing that Fallout inspired MMO, my entire computer went down. I replaced the vid card, but it still would only load video intermittently, ended up replacing the mobo, but it still takes waaay to long to post, so I feel your pain. There is some sort of funky gremlin in my machine.

Fallout inspired MMO?

Yep, that's the one, they had a 10 day free trial over xmas, and after installation my machine went schizo.

I wouldn't doubt it. The game is as buggy as shit. Did you remove the game and see if everything works?

I couldn't, whatever happened got deep into the motherboard, the computer wouldn't post, it would start, run the gpu fan up to full speed and then do nothing, I was getting no graphic output so I couldn't even see if it was loading windows or not. The craziest thing is that I have an older computer with a 6800gt agp card, and when I pulled it out as a temp replacement, THAT card was doing the same thing.

Dark_Side on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

Fallout inspired MMO?

I couldn't, whatever happened got deep into the motherboard, the computer wouldn't post, it would start, run the gpu fan up to full speed and then do nothing, I was getting no graphic output so I couldn't even see if it was loading windows or not. The craziest thing is that I have an older computer with a 6800gt agp card, and when I pulled it out as a temp replacement, THAT card was doing the same thing.

Had exactly the same issue - motherboard was barely a year old, too! Whilst other things might be the cause, it can indeed be spontaneous motherboard failure. Happened to me when I'd come back from a 2-week holiday.

If it's in-warranty, then you're fully justified in returning to retailer/manufacturer. If not, at least they're not too pricey!

Bioptic on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just bought Freedom Force and the expansion for like 7 dollars on Steam. All I have to say is...

Holy crap how was I unaware of this game until now!!?!? I just played through the tutorial / Minute Man's first mission. This game is amazing. I like how the communist in the first scene had a red star on his hat.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just bought Freedom Force and the expansion for like 7 dollars on Steam. All I have to say is...

Holy crap how was I unaware of this game until now!!?!? I just played through the tutorial / Minute Man's first mission. This game is amazing. I like how the communist in the first scene had a red star on his hat.

It gets better :D.

Hensler on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The expansion is a full sequel, actually.

august on
    edited February 2010
    Weeekend Deal - Both Farcry games are 50% off. I almost bought Far Cry 2 a couple week ago... now I'm glad I waited.

Hensler on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Weeekend Deal - Both Farcry games are 50% off. I almost bought Far Cry 2 a couple week ago... now I'm glad I waited.

I bought Far Cry a couple of weeks ago.

It was pretty fun for a while, but whoever decided that a checkpoint save system coupled with
    enemies who can one hit kill me with a jump attack from twenty feet away

deserves to get the shit kicked out of them.

To be fair I was sort of warned by another forumer, so I guess I am passing that warning on to you.

SmokeStacks on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I love how brutal this game can be. I went to attack a container that said "full of gases or liquids" thinking to myself that maybe a powerup would be in there. It explodes and sends Minute Man flying about 50 meters, instant death.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I also just went ahead and got Far Cry 2 and Torchlight. I just got a new machine built with a raedon 5870 in it and was looking for something cheap thats pretty and will actually make this card do something besides chew up World of Warcraft (The fan doesnt even turn on for WoW). The card came with DiRT2 which seems kinda fun, but controlling a rally car with a keyboard is almost impossible. Anyhow, yeah 10 dollars seems like a good deal for Far Cry 2 either way, I had it in my hand at best buy about an hour ago and it was 20 dollars and I thought "I think ill look at steam first".....something in my gaming life goes well for a change.

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aw. I'm not sure my pc will actually run Far Cry 2.
    This makes me sad.

Rizzi on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ah geez, a lot of these normal Steam sales now leave me thinking "It was cheaper during the holiday sale."

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am now considering the purchase of Far Cry 2. I've heard mixed reactions to it, though...

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    When it comes to Far Cry 2, it's a mixed bag. The fire mechanics are cool, but would be better if it spread further.

Buddy system is lame, story is lame. Everyone wants to kill you, all the time forever. You have malaria. Lame.

I like it, though.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    FC2 is DX10 and it looks amazingly awesome.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    yeah if nothing else FC2 is a pretty good way to benchmark your system

Dehumanized on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    All right, a good look at Metro 2033 just popped up.

Antithesis on
    edited February 2010
    Was considering Far Cry 2 (another one that's actually cheaper retail than in the sale!), but then remembered the hard 5-installs/hardware activation limit. It's not even a 'regenerating' one like Dark Athena was relaxed to - that's 5 installs ever, including OS changes, formatting, changing hardware components and the like. I know a big fuss was made at the time of release, but I honestly thought they'd pull a Bioshock and strip it out after a while!

Oh, and Metro 2033's looked good ever since since the early looks of it a while back - a really solid scripted shooter in a really interesting environment. I wouldn't be suprised if 50%+ of the stuff worth playing on the PC in the next few years doesn't come from Russia/Eastern Europe. Over the past couple of years I've already enjoyed Stalker, The Witcher, Men of War, King's Bounty, Painkiller, Serious Sam, and of course GOG.com. They've always had this sense of vitality and joy to them so lacking in many other releases.

For that matter, where've all the weird Gallic games gone? Where's our Heart of Darknesses, our Little Big Adventures, our Beyond Good and Evil sequel?

Bioptic on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You'll only install Far Cry 2 once.

Ever.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I installed it twice. Mainly because I reinstalled Windows 7 before finishing it. I'd say it's worth ten dollars, though.

Fats on
    edited February 2010
    That last patch took out the DRM for Far Cry 2. You can install it as much as you want now.

Hensler on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Was considering Far Cry 2 (another one that's actually cheaper retail than in the sale!), but then remembered the hard 5-installs/hardware activation limit. It's not even a 'regenerating' one like Dark Athena was relaxed to - that's 5 installs ever, including OS changes, formatting, changing hardware components and the like. I know a big fuss was made at the time of release, but I honestly thought they'd pull a Bioshock and strip it out after a while!

Oh, and Metro 2033's looked good ever since since the early looks of it a while back - a really solid scripted shooter in a really interesting environment. I wouldn't be suprised if 50%+ of the stuff worth playing on the PC in the next few years doesn't come from Russia/Eastern Europe. Over the past couple of years I've already enjoyed Stalker, The Witcher, Men of War, King's Bounty, Painkiller, Serious Sam, and of course GOG.com. They've always had this sense of vitality and joy to them so lacking in many other releases.

For that matter, where've all the weird Gallic games gone? Where's our Heart of Darknesses, our Little Big Adventures, our Beyond Good and Evil sequel?

I don't know if joy is the right word. Wonder, maybe?

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Pfffft, the Zone is the most joyful place on earth.

If you happen to be a bloodsucker, of course.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Pfffft, the Zone is the most joyful place on earth.

If you happen to be a bloodsucker, of course.

It does definitely seem like a lot of the great PC titles are coming out of Eastern Europe and Russia these days. Well, it's tough to call them great I guess, but there's some crazy potential on display at any rate, and the modding scene over there is huge, hell the modders are really what made Stalker the game it has become.

We've still got Valve, but a lot of the other big developers are moving towards consoles, and I can't totally blame them.

Dark_Side on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I love how brutal this game can be. I went to attack a container that said "full of gases or liquids" thinking to myself that maybe a powerup would be in there. It explodes and sends Minute Man flying about 50 meters, instant death.

Sounds like a good thing to throw at dudes, though.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010

The joy comes from King's Bounty and killing ancient vampire lords with crown-wearing snakes, Beholders from D&D, Catholic priests, some really old bears and an impossibly cute baby dragon. And then your sword rebels against you because you haven't been killing enough dragons with it lately, so you have to go inside it and fight some ancient ice titans to restore loyalty. In a world that makes World of Warcraft's palette look muted. It's not all bleak decaying cityscapes!

Wasn't aware that the DRM had been removed from the Steam version - is still listed as a 5 machine limit in the Steam store. Strange - I thought it would be a selling point!

Bioptic on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wasn't aware that the DRM had been removed from the Steam version - is still listed as a 5 machine limit in the Steam store. Strange - I thought it would be a selling point!

Yeah they're really missing out on the "people with 6 computers but who also can't break the DRM when they need to" demographic.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there a way to put the steam client into offline mode without having to use the client?
    My internet got capped, and seems to refuse to load the client on 64kbps.

Rizzi on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The joy comes from King's Bounty and killing ancient vampire lords with crown-wearing snakes, Beholders from D&D, Catholic priests, some really old bears and an impossibly cute baby dragon. And then your sword rebels against you because you haven't been killing enough dragons with it lately, so you have to go inside it and fight some ancient ice titans to restore loyalty. In a world that makes World of Warcraft's palette look muted. It's not all bleak decaying cityscapes!

This is why I eagerly await the next game by Katauri Interactive. I played Armored Princess for over 50 hours and loved every minute of it.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For what it's worth, just traveling in general completely ruined FC2 for me. Enemy outposts on roads constantly regenerate and there is lots of driving around. I think I got something like four missions into the game before I got completely fed up with trucks full of enemies perfectly navigating the terrain while shooting up my vehicle, my vehicle breaking down, having to get out and kill all the enemies, having to fix my car, and then going through the same bullshit process again at the next outpost. Same process when you come back from a mission.

The STALKER games have had plenty of bugs and I can easily tolerate those to enjoy the game underneath. Far Cry 2 had gameplay elements so terrible I've never regretted not finishing the mess. The real shame is that it isn't mod-friendly; if it had been designed with mods in mind, people could have taken a game with a lot of wasted potential and made something really, really great.

EDIT: Man, that Metro2033 info is rapidly skyrocketing the game towards "hot shit" for me. It's not looking like Fallout 3 where people bitch about the end of the world and then don't do anything about it; these folks have nothing and they have to send out people to find what they need to keep what little they have.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, that Metro2033 info is rapidly skyrocketing the game towards "hot shit" for me. It's not looking like Fallout 3 where people bitch about the end of the world and then don't do anything about it;
    I'm not really sure we played the same Fallout 3, or at least the same main plot about saving the world.

TychoCelchuuu on
This discussion has been closed.