As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] New OP - Twice the Size, Half the Content

1565758596062»

• nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Wasn't aware that the DRM had been removed from the Steam version - is still listed as a 5 machine limit in the Steam store. Strange - I thought it would be a selling point!

Yeah they're really missing out on the "people with 6 computers but who also can't break the DRM when they need to" demographic.

Right, because those are the only people who could possibly be inconvenienced by a 5-install maximum. I haven't reinstalled windows on this machine five times in the three years I've owned it; that would be ludicrous and entirely outside of the norm for a Windows box. And don't even talk about breaking DRM on this forum, I think it might be illegal in the backwards country where this website is hosted.

A real pity, because I actually enjoyed what little Farcry 2 I played despite what the critics say about it. It's fairly disturbing though, frankly. It's basically a civil war simulator, with the player taking on the role of a mercenary who intentionally exacerbates the civil war for profit.

But you get to set brushfires that are animated really beautifully, so I guess it's a wash overall.

What the heck is up with this 6pm-9pm PST downtime going on right now? I know Steam's a global service, and there are places for which this is a perfectly convenient time, but the west coast of the US must account for a lot of Steam's user base, and 6-9 (or 7-10, 8-11) is pretty much primetime for US online gaming.

nescientist on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, that Metro2033 info is rapidly skyrocketing the game towards "hot shit" for me. It's not looking like Fallout 3 where people bitch about the end of the world and then don't do anything about it;
    I'm not really sure we played the same Fallout 3, or at least the same main plot about saving the world.

You're just cleaning up some water, hardly saving the world stuff. That's actually one of the reasons I liked FO2, there was actually some sense that people weren't just content to sit in squalor and shoot each other for scraps

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Right, because those are the only people who could possibly be inconvenienced by a 5-install maximum. I haven't reinstalled windows on this machine five times in the three years I've owned it; that would be ludicrous and entirely outside of the norm for a Windows box.

I agree. Wait, or were you being sarcastic?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Man, that Metro2033 info is rapidly skyrocketing the game towards "hot shit" for me. It's not looking like Fallout 3 where people bitch about the end of the world and then don't do anything about it;
    I'm not really sure we played the same Fallout 3, or at least the same main plot about saving the world.

You're just cleaning up some water, hardly saving the world stuff. That's actually one of the reasons I liked FO2, there was actually some sense that people weren't just content to sit in squalor and shoot each other for scraps

What? This post doesn't make any sense. I think you underestimate the value of clean water and are looking at fo2 with rose tinted glasses.

PracticalProblemSolver on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Last time I played Fallout 3 I remember constantly coming across people who were dying due to the constant exposure to irradiated water. Clean water is a big deal.

BloodySloth on
    edited February 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    Right, because those are the only people who could possibly be inconvenienced by a 5-install maximum. I haven't reinstalled windows on this machine five times in the three years I've owned it; that would be ludicrous and entirely outside of the norm for a Windows box.

I agree. Wait, or were you being sarcastic?

I was being sarcastic. I'm not even sure how to approach a debate with someone who honestly believes that selling a license for five installations as if it were a fully functional game (and marketing, boxing, and pricing such a license as a full game) is a reasonable means of doing business.

The "physical object" metaphor for IP may well not be the system that persists into the future, and there's nothing inherently wrong with games being sold with terms other than "we own the original, but this copy is yours to use forever." I don't even think there's anything necessarily wrong with DRM, unless it renders me unable to play a game I paid for (startlingly common). But there is no equivalence between "you can install this five times" and "this is your copy of the game, now keep your cd-key a secret you dumbass." To sell a license like the former next to a license like the latter and claim you are providing the same product is fraudulent, whether the letter of the law says so or not.

nescientist on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shouldn't it be, like, working now? I want to shoot mans.

BloodySloth on
    edited February 2010
    Shouldn't it be, like, working now? I want to shoot mans.

Srs, I grabbed a coffee on the way home at 5:30pm, hoping to convert that buzz into UAVs, Predators, and Air Drops. I've been intermittently twitching and cursing Steam maintenance ever since.

nescientist on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    God dammit

Who had the bright idea to do downtime from 6 PM to 9 PM

I think Valve are trying to stress test their forum server's ability to handle sheer raging torrents of QQ

Robman on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So they're almost an hour late. Anyone surprised?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What are you guys waiting on? I read previous pages and didn't see it anywhere.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Scheduled Maintenance Downtime Underway
    February 18, 2010, 6:00 pm - Valve - General Announcement

The schedule maintenance for Steam is now underway and will last three hours at most ending at 9:00 PM Pacific time.

Some Steam services are now offline during this time including the Steam Community, in-game matchmaking or lobbies, downloading games from Steam content servers, and making purchases from the Steam store. Games that do not rely on Steam matchmaking services should remain playable.

News updates and any further information will be posted in this space.

We will work to make this downtime as short as possible. Thank you for your patience!
    Linky: http://store.steampowered.com/news/

Undead Scottsman on
    edited February 2010
    Oooh, my misunderstanding. I thought there was something specific that was to occur after the downtime. Thank you for filling me it.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • PracticalProblemSolverPracticalProblemSolver Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oooh, my misunderstanding. I thought there was something specific that was to occur after the downtime. Thank you for filling me it.

The specific thing being me playing video games :P

PracticalProblemSolver on
    edited February 2010
    I hear ya!

Unrelated, is it likely that Bioshock 2 will be available for pre-load this weekend? I hate waiting around on release dates, waiting to play the game I rightfully own.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hear ya!

Unrelated, is it likely that Bioshock 2 will be available for pre-load this weekend? I hate waiting around on release dates, waiting to play the game I rightfully leased.

Fixed that for you.

Steam needs to start having more 2 dollar or cheaper sales, because fuck I need to save some money.

Buttcleft on
    edited February 2010
    Indeed. Didn't really help, of course, but true anyhow.

Right, as well, regarding $2 sales. Although they do tend to make me spend more that I otherwise would, as I end up buying any $2 sale game regardless of any previous interest in the game.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I configured my joystick (Sidewinder Precision Pro) so that I can actually fly the heli, except that the axis used for yaw (stick twist) is inverted in the game--left yaws right, vice versa--and there doesn't seem to be a way to fix it. Anyone have a clue?

edit: well, looks like this is a common issue and no one has an idea. beta beta olol

edit2: hahah wrong fucking thread i'm sillier than the silliest goose

Zxerol on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

...You really don't think creating the largest known body of clean water in the world, not to mention saving the technology to repeat it, is a major step towards saving the world in FO?

If clean water weren't insanely important, you wouldn't see people dying from drinking too much polluted water outside the cities, and people wouldn't be sacraficing themselves to transport water across the wastes.

Morkath on
    edited February 2010
    Morkath wrote: »

...You really don't think creating the largest known body of clean water in the world, not to mention saving the technology to repeat it, is a major step towards saving the world in FO?

If clean water weren't insanely important, you wouldn't see people dying from drinking too much polluted water outside the cities, and people wouldn't be sacraficing themselves to transport water across the wastes.

With how you can't seem to go anywhere without tripping over another (empty) vault, water chips seem to work fine for places like vault city. And the NCR seemed to be doing a good job at expanding without that either despite being in a freaking desert. But anyway, this is off topic.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My biggest problem with Fallout 3 was that Liam Neeson was utterly wasted and felt like a bit character in a game he was ostensibly starring in. The whole dad thing had about as much emotional impact as a brick.

subedii on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anybody played Combat Wings: Battle of Britain?

I've been in the mood for a flight sim and I like WWII combat more (oh shit there he is shoot shoot shoot ahhh I got him he's smoking but oh shit he's banking I gotta pull oh fuck fuck I'm stalling gotta pull out aaaaahhhhh oh shit whoo ok I'm good level flight not going to crash... oh shit where did that other plane go?) as opposed to modern day air combat (bogey six miles away, lock on, fire missile, hit).

Also, we're gonna need a new thread soon.

SmokeStacks on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    My biggest problem with Fallout 3 was that Liam Neeson was utterly wasted and felt like a bit character in a game he was ostensibly starring in. The whole dad thing had about as much emotional impact as a brick.

Yes, hiring famous actors to do voice acting and then wasting them is something Bethesda has turned into an art form.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    Say I only felt like spending $10 this weekend. Which is a better deal, Far Cry 2 from steam or Majesty 1 and 2 from impulse?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Say I only felt like spending $10 this weekend. Which is a better deal, Far Cry 2 from steam or Majesty 1 and 2 from impulse?

They're all pretty sub-par games, with Majesty 1 being the best of the lot. That said, the fact that it's not on Steam knocks it down. I don't know about you, but I don't feel like keeping track of games across a half dozen systems (D2D, GOG, Steam, Impulse, etc). Steam is the biggest and, imo, the best - and I figure it's best just to stick with that.

TekDragon on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »

They're all pretty sub-par games, with Majesty 1 being the best of the lot. That said, the fact that it's not on Steam knocks it down. I don't know about you, but I don't feel like keeping track of games across a half dozen systems (D2D, GOG, Steam, Impulse, etc). Steam is the biggest and, imo, the best - and I figure it's best just to stick with that.

I sorely regret every single game I bought on GG or GoG, because Steam is so much better. whenever a sale for older games pop up i have to look at all those other sites again to check if I already own the damn thing. and also patching. And also getting the older lighter games on my new netbook is so much easier with steam. Ugh.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.