As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GTA 4 NEW Game Informer preview -- choose your own adventure!

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To be fair, even the San Andreas map was pretty small for planes.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    KNYTE wrote: »
    No planes

so saaaad D:

Also no mention of Coney Island?

I like how they took the realism angle to justify them not being included.

I think they were being honest - they can't put mountains or anything around the playable area to limit flight access, so they would have to use invisibile walls, not to mention all the extra stuff they would have to render in the distance.

Zek on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

Pfft, the hell it was. A plane was a saviour in getting you across the map fast.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No planes

so saaaad D:

Perhaps you missed the opening video, which had a roller coaster as one of the first attractions?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Pfft, the hell it was. A plane was a saviour in getting you across the map fast.

Helicopters were more than fast enough, and the player was likely to actually land them as opposed to just flying a plane over one's destination, jumping out (leaving the plane unmanned), and using a parachute.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Helicopters were more than fast enough, and the player was likely to actually land them as opposed to just flying a plane over one's destination, jumping out (leaving the plane unmanned), and using a parachute.

To be fair, my usual method of parking in San Andreas is to leap and roll out of the car leaving it to crash into whatever's ahead.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

To be fair, my usual method of parking in San Andreas is to leap and roll out of the car leaving it to crash into whatever's ahead.

That's the only way to be sure...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    No planes

so saaaad D:

Perhaps you missed the opening video, which had a roller coaster as one of the first attractions?

I mean they didn't mention it in the article.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I loved using that to fly over the military base, jump out, use the parachute, land near the tanks, grab a tank, and then get the hell out of there. I know I probably could have just got a military uniform to get a tank without being shot at, but it wouldn't be as fun.

Couscous on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The best parts of any Grand Theft Auto game are the cheats. Don't wallow in dispair at the lack of planes, you can fly cars around!

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    What I really wonder is if there are no planes because:

a) its set in a fictional NYC.
    b) It is one city and doesn't "fit", or
    c) they couldn't get it to work right when viewed from above, ala Saints Row/Oblivion.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

c) they couldn't get it to work right when viewed from above, ala Saints Row/Oblivion.

I can promise you that's almost exactly it. Putting planes in a fictional NYC would make a shit storm that even rockstar would be fearful of.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    devolve wrote: »

I can promise you that's almost exactly it. Putting planes in a fictional NYC would make a shit storm that even rockstar would be fearful of.

See I never get that. Its not like they banned airports in NYC or airplanes because it might upset people. If someone gets in a plane in a game and decides to fly it into where ground zero would be...well thats there problem and its isolated to them in their bedroom or whatever. Though I guess you could always argue that terrorists are now stockpiling PS3's and GTA4s to learn NYC layout.

I dunno. Just seems like an over-sensitive reaction to a situation. I really don't buy the "It doesn't fit" stuff. Not just with planes but other things mentioned.

Oh and apparently you can alter your appearance ala CJ. Don't think that was mentioned in the initial post.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh and apparently you can alter your appearance ala CJ. Don't think that was mentioned in the initial post.

If that means customizing your character's build at the start of the game, cool. Buying different clothes, cool.

I just hope they're not talking about doing reps in a gym again.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is the first GTA game since Vice City to actually raise an eyebrow for me. My interest is piqued.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »

If that means customizing your character's build at the start of the game, cool. Buying different clothes, cool.

I just hope they're not talking about doing reps in a gym again.

Reps in a gym are fine. I've got no problem with a stupid repetitive microgame to build a character's stats.

Now, having to remember to go to restaurants and eat so as to keep that muscle? That was awful. I mean, do we have to remember when to shit, too?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, no DLC for the PS3? Fuck that noise.

Dirty on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Landing on the Las Venturas strip in the P-51 was awesome. Of course, if you ever looked behind you at low altitude, you'd smack headlong into the back of whatever vehicle mysteriously manifested in front of you out of thin air. :x

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No complaints here. I fucking hated planes in SA.

Probably because I played SA on PC.

AHH! on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Can't wait to drive this GTA's version of the Banshee, the most awesomeness car there is.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Landing on the Las Venturas strip in the P-51 was awesome. Of course, if you ever looked behind you at low altitude, you'd smack headlong into the back of whatever vehicle mysteriously manifested in front of you out of thin air. :x

You must have been playing the PS2 version, right? I hear a lot of people mention that bug but I never run into it on the PC version.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    What are you guys going on about? I just pumped CJ up to the max one day in the gym, and went from there. Never had to feed him except when I wanted to heal myself desperatly, and he was fine. As long as you run at least a little bit you shouldn't have had any real problem.

core tactic on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What are you guys going on about? I just pumped CJ up to the max one day in the gym, and went from there. Never had to feed him except when I wanted to heal myself desperatly, and he was fine. As long as you run at least a little bit you shouldn't have had any real problem.

Some people wound up in situations where they were out in the middle of nowhere and the only vehicle they could find was a bicycle. By the time they made it back to civilization, they had burned through a good chunk of the muscle they built up.

I'd rather see something like choosing between a ratio of stamina/muscle/whatever than bars you have to max out or keep from dropping myself. For that to be balanced though, melee combat would need to be more useful.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited April 2007

You have to eat only ONCE an hour and SAVING resets that clock. So these people were generally people who for some reason were not saving at least once an hour at one of the dozens of save points and then bizatching about it.

So yeah. Nuts to them.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll be happy as long as I can drive a farm combine through Times Square wearing cowboy boots and a hockey mask.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    I'll be happy as long as I can drive a farm combine through Times Square wearing nothing but a smile.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited April 2007

You must have been playing the PS2 version, right? I hear a lot of people mention that bug but I never run into it on the PC version.
    You mean how things would "ghost" into place in front of you much closer than in GTAIII or Vice City? I don't know how it was on the PS2 version, but that was definitely a "feature" of the PC version.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I've got a copy from the first days it was out and never seen any major glitches like this at all.

core tactic on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I never really had a problem with the eating thing. After getting muscle maxed, I just made sure to eat whenever my fat was almost all gone. I'd always fill it to almost a quarter and then forgot about it until the stat thing popped up showing I had no fat.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    GOTY unless Halo 3 or Mass Effect is.

No planes kind of sucks, but is understandable since it's set in one city.

well.. not to mention it's set in a city with some horrible history with airplanes.
    its a smart move on their part.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Can't wait to drive this GTA's version of the Banshee, the most awesomeness car there is.

Man, did anyone else have a really hard time using the e-brake on that car for right-angle turns?

Anytime I touched that thing, it was like HELLOOOO 180.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Woodroez wrote: »

Man, did anyone else have a really hard time using the e-brake on that car for right-angle turns?

Yeah, fishtail city. I preferred the Sentinel in 3, Comet in VC and Bullet in SA.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You mean how things would "ghost" into place in front of you much closer than in GTAIII or Vice City? I don't know how it was on the PS2 version, but that was definitely a "feature" of the PC version.
    I should also note that this was the v2.0 post-Hot Coffee version as well.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    DarkfishDarkfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No planes! No Jetpacks! I can't say i'm not annoyed by that, I loved the oddness that SA had. It seems like their just aiming for a super-realistic game now, not that it won't be fantastic in every way.

Darkfish on
    hyrulesig1ui.png
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Hahaha, that's why I love it! Getting chased by cops? WHAM complete 180!

Or in a race where you need to do a tight hook? BAM complete 180!

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm more curious to see what they have planned for multiplayer. My guess would be some type of death-match, team death-match, and some kind of objective based team play.

Axen on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    bruin wrote: »
    GOTY unless Halo 3 or Mass Effect is.

No planes kind of sucks, but is understandable since it's set in one city.

well.. not to mention it's set in a city with some horrible history with airplanes.
    its a smart move on their part.

Yeah, in a way I'm glad they left out airplanes in this outing. I think the controversy would have just been too much.

Food on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Hahaha, that's why I love it! Getting chased by cops? WHAM complete 180!

Or in a race where you need to do a tight hook? BAM complete 180!

I personally like the car you have to do the last driving school mission in.

Need a quick 90 degree turn? 360. Need to switch lanes? 360! Need to do a 360? 1080!

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    I'm more curious to see what they have planned for multiplayer. My guess would be some type of death-match, team death-match, and some kind of objective based team play.

Stealing cars, the better the car (including less damage) the more cash/points you get?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

Stealing cars, the better the car (including less damage) the more cash/points you get?

Like some kind of "Gone in 60 Seconds" game mode?

Axen on