As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GTA 4 NEW Game Informer preview -- choose your own adventure!

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Axen wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm more curious to see what they have planned for multiplayer. My guess would be some type of death-match, team death-match, and some kind of objective based team play.

Stealing cars, the better the car (including less damage) the more cash/points you get?

Like some kind of "Gone in 60 Seconds" game mode?

I was actually going to say exactly that.

Fencingsax on
  • BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm more curious to see what they have planned for multiplayer. My guess would be some type of death-match, team death-match, and some kind of objective based team play.

Stealing cars, the better the car (including less damage) the more cash/points you get?

If they just give us some good free-roaming co-op, ala Crackdown, I'll be happy.

Blakout on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

That makes at least three of us.

SithDrummer on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I loved the eating/gym stuff, because I loved being able to have 2 saves, one for ultra-fit, muscles upon muscles cj, and one for ultra-fat out of shape cj. It's hilarious watching the cutscenes between some tough gangster and fat albert.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is there any free program out there that I can record gameplay on my PC for more than the paltry 30 seconds that trial FRAPS provides?

DarkPrimus on
    edited April 2007
    Okay, check it out. Helicopter flips in VC.

DarkPrimus on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Front flip? Righteous. I should find the trilogy for Xbox...

Anyway, I wonder if by "People getting arrested," they mean "people" as in players, or "people" as in random NPCs who commit crimes. I'll be looking for this issue of the mag shortly.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • PolishElvisPolishElvis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like the idea of criminals other than yourself getting arrested. I would be cool to be walking down a street a see a police drug raid or something. Maybe you could plant evidence to get NPCs caught.

On the police issue, they need a postive IQ adjustment. They just stand in the middle of the street like cannon fodder. The only thing that's challngeing is thier sheer numbers. And don't have SWAT teams fast roping fom helos right in front of me. Also, give SWAT MP5's and such as almost no police department in the US uses the Uzi anymore. Agree on the no planes, and no helicopters is not a problem as most criminals in reality don't know how to fly them, and it seems the deveopers are shooting for a more realistic GTA.

PolishElvis on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm a little confused on why only the 360 would get downloadable content, yes Live is 10 time better than the playstation store, but won't Home be out by the time this releases? Its not like the system can't go online.

LockeCole on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hope the people being more realistic doesn't make me stop going on crazy sprees out of guilt.

I've always though part of the success of GTA is that it's just unrealistic enough that doing reprehensible things doesn't matter at all.

ben0207 on
  • ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I loved the eating/gym stuff, because I loved being able to have 2 saves, one for ultra-fit, muscles upon muscles cj, and one for ultra-fat out of shape cj. It's hilarious watching the cutscenes between some tough gangster and Anthony Anderson.

ihd on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, Ive been sent from overwhelmingly excited to 'meh' from this preview. The countryside was overwhelmingly my favourite bit of San Andreas and I certainly didnt expect Rockstar to deliver us a backstep in terms of enviroment variety. Where will I drive my dirtbikes? Where will we have good races? New York certainly isnt set up for that sort of thing, its nothing but blocks and intersections.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    I'm a little confused on why only the 360 would get downloadable content, yes Live is 10 time better than the playstation store, but won't Home be out by the time this releases? Its not like the system can't go online.

Because Microsoft handed them fucktons of money and announced the exclusive DLC almost a year ago at E3.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    LockeCole wrote: »

Because Microsoft handed them fucktons of money and announced the exclusive DLC almost a year ago at E3.

I heard somewhere that they'd both get downloadable stuff, but it would be different for each system. So both would have "exclusive" DLC. But that might have been unfounded rumor.

Daedalus on
  • IncendiusIncendius Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No planes? Thank God, I suck horribly at any form of piloting - flying missions can hold me up for weeks at a time, I'm just that bad.

Incendius on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Personally I like the sounds of this. It sounds like GTA3, with better graphics, a more realistic city and motorbikes.

Which makes me a happy boy, I despised GTA:SA (it tried to be too many things and failed at each, in my opinion) and Vice City never grasped me (very poor and boring level layout).

Multiplayer also wets my pants.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited April 2007
    ihd wrote: »
    I loved the eating/gym stuff, because I loved being able to have 2 saves, one for ultra-fit, muscles upon muscles cj, and one for ultra-fat out of shape cj. It's hilarious watching the cutscenes between some tough gangster and Al Roker.

SithDrummer on
  • kevindenoyettekevindenoyette Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It might be worth comparing the GTA IV trailer to the old GTA III teaser from E3 in 2001. You can pretty much recognise it's the same city, and it's hard not to get excited about the game when you compare both. The GTA III teaser contains gameplay footage and not any prerendered stuff, but still, the GTA IV trailer looks so immersive that it certainly has me anticipating this game.

GTAIV trailer = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M80K51DosFo

GTA III teaser = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OCE7XSiiEk&mode=related&search=

kevindenoyette on
    titshop2qn.jpg
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It might be worth comparing the GTA IV trailer to the old GTA III teaser from E3 in 2001. You can pretty much recognise it's the same city, and it's hard not to get excited about the game when you compare both. The GTA III teaser contains gameplay footage and not any prerendered stuff, but still, the GTA IV trailer looks so immersive that it certainly has me anticipating this game.

GTA III teaser = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OCE7XSiiEk&mode=related&search=

Oh wow, they even had a slight Koyaanisqatsi feel to it. This really is like typifying that "the game they wanted to make" industry cliche, eh?

Recoil42 on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

The GTA4 trailer looks so good I could get lost in that alone. I just hope its as immersive as they say and that entering the house mission isn't some one off. I can't wait and considering I work at a gamestore I'll get it like a day early too! Woo hoo!

DarkWarrior on
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    As far as this being "Game of the Year"

As credited by who?
    At least 1 urban youth magazine will call this game game of the year. But you can't really compare the groups of people who like the various games since they over lap etc. Mass Effect would have to do something very unbelevable to get the kind of attention that GTA and Halo from the media etc.

graizur on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    graizur wrote: »
    As far as this being "Game of the Year"

As credited by who?
    At least 1 urban youth magazine will call this game game of the year. But you can't really compare the groups of people who like the various games since they over lap etc. Mass Effect would have to do something very unbelevable to get the kind of attention that GTA and Halo from the media etc.

If you're referring to my post from two days ago, GOTY as credited by me.

bruin on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm willing to forgive them for removing planes, if we see some real interactivity with the environment. If I can chase a guy down an alley, follow him up a fire escape, jump across a rooftop, run downstairs through an apartment building, across a street (with the appropriate chaos that running across a New York street would cause), and into a deli, I'll be impressed.

Okay, might be a bit much. But I'm tired of the only alternatives to "road" and "grass" being an incline textured to look like stairs and the very, very occasional interior.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Interiors are one of my biggest hopes for this game.

I want GTA to reach a point where I could see a house and think "I'll ransack that" and actually do it. Or carry out non-scripted assassinations (arrange a mission by phone to kill person x at y address at z time, without that interior being created especially for the mission). Breaking in, stealing something and leaving a "goodbye present" for the cops that show up would be really neat.

Basically Oblivion-esque in-building assassination and theft.

Suriko on
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Suriko wrote: »

I want GTA to reach a point where I could see a house and think "I'll ransack that" and actually do it. Or carry out non-scripted assassinations (arrange a mission by phone to kill person x at y address at z time, without that interior being created especially for the mission). Breaking in, stealing something and leaving a "goodbye present" for the cops that show up would be really neat.

According to Game Informer's preview, GTA will exist entirely without load times, including any indoor environments in the game. That's at least a start to reaching something like you've described.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    davidbarry wrote: »

According to Game Informer's preview, GTA will exist entirely without load times, including any indoor environments in the game. That's at least a start to reaching something like you've described.

That's why it's one of my hopes for the game. It's a fairly major feature so if there weren't any kind of mention of something related to it I wouldn't even bother hoping for it.

Suriko on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anyone know when the magazine will be in stores?

bruin on
  • Linoleum CaesarLinoleum Caesar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Darkfish wrote: »
    No planes! No Jetpacks! I can't say i'm not annoyed by that, I loved the oddness that SA had. It seems like their just aiming for a super-realistic game now, not that it won't be fantastic in every way.

I rather like the idea of a more realistic game (as long as the characteristic GTA-humour is still there of course). Though I would like to see slightly sillier retro standalone expansions (like SA, VC and the London expansions for the first game) as well.

Linoleum Caesar on
    edited April 2007

On a similar note, I want to steal a police car from the station, get it rigged with a bomb, arm it and leave it parked where I found it, and have someone actually get in and blow up. That was a problem with GTAIII - you could get a bomb in any car you wanted, but it didn't matter because no one else would take it after you parked it somewhere.

SithDrummer on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

On a similar note, I want to steal a police car from the station, get it rigged with a bomb, arm it and leave it parked where I found it, and have someone actually get in and blow up. That was a problem with GTAIII - you could get a bomb in any car you wanted, but it didn't matter because no one else would take it after you parked it somewhere.

To expand on this thought a bit, can you imagine driving around the city then some punk runs up and jacks your ride and speeds away.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

To expand on this thought a bit, can you imagine driving around the city then some punk runs up and jacks your ride and speeds away.

I recall this (getting car jacked) happening in previous GTAs... specifically GTA3. (Especially if you're just idling in your car)

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited April 2007
    Zetx wrote: »

I recall this (getting car jacked) happening in previous GTAs... specifically GTA3. (Especially if you're just idling in your car)

Maybe. The only time I ever really seen it was when I'd hit somebody with my car then stopped for whatever reason. The person I hit would normally run up to my car, pull me out, then drive off.

Axen on
    edited April 2007
    I remember idling in my car waiting on the first mission on the second island (can't remember names right now >_>) at the Red Light District and some guy pulls me out of my car and speeds away. I wasn't paying attention at all until it actually happened so I couldn't really react to it.

I shrugged it off and grabbed another car. :P

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited April 2007
    I remember idling in my car waiting on the first mission on the second island (can't remember names right now >_>) at the Red Light District and some guy pulls me out of my car and speeds away. I wasn't paying attention at all until it actually happened so I couldn't really react to it.

Hm, I stand corrected then.

Okay how 'bout this. Your idling at a stop light or what have you and this guy jumps into the passenger seat of your car. He points a gun at your head and tells you to drive. What follows is a timed race to a marked destination if you fail the guy with the gun kills ya or maybe you just have to lose the cops. I don't know. Just throwing ideas out there.

Heh, not sure why I am even brainstorming. Oh well.

Axen on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, when's a PC version expected?

LaCabra on
    edited April 2007

Hm, I stand corrected then.

Okay how 'bout this. Your idling at a stop light or what have you and this guy jumps into the passenger seat of your car. He points a gun at your head and tells you to drive. What follows is a timed race to a marked destination if you fail the guy with the gun kills ya or maybe you just have to lose the cops. I don't know. Just throwing ideas out there.

Heh, not sure why I am even brainstorming. Oh well.

How 'bout a mini-game involving weaving through traffic/maintaining control of the wheel while trying to get the other guy out of your car :lol:

What I always found funny is that just about everyone left their car doors unlocked. Sometimes, if the cars are parked, they might be locked, and sometimes just the driver's side.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    LaCabra wrote: »
    So, when's a PC version expected?

A year and a half after the console version, if San Andreas is any indicator.
    mother-fucking never if Hot Coffee is any indicator.

Daedalus on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007

I talked about this in an earlier thread. I had an idea where you'd follow various career paths such as Hitman, raising skills like in SA but these skills you could only gain on this particular path such as an incredibly high stealth rating. So if you were tasked with killing the over-zealous chief of Police, you could actually follow his pattern over the course or a day. See him go home and waltz in there, murdering him and his wife in his sleep. Or take his car from his home or the station, rig it, bring it back and kaboom. Hell, kill him, stick him in the trunk and drive it over a cliff. Or put him in the drivers seat and fill it with booze. Though that'd be getting very detailed. Though it'd lead to Fahrenheit (The first level since the rest didn't apply it at all) levels of repercussions. Do it in their sleep and leave the wife safe, ok you;'re not as much of a butcher but she will also go out and lead a campaign to find his killers. Kill them both and you might scare other officers off at the fear of losing their families. On the other hand, make it look like a drunken accidental death and it'll just be wrote off. Though there may be a suspicious cop here or there who pushes it further.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2007
    I was walking down the street in VC yesterday and saw somebody steal a car from an old lady. And I definitely remember getting jacked in GTA3. So it happens.

DarkPrimus on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know what I would want to see? More realistic animations and actions from the police and pedestrians. One example being how they act when shot...if I shoot a cop in hand, he should drop his weapon or when I kneecap a pedestrian, he should drop down on the ground and start screaming instead of running away like olympic level sprinter like in SA.

DarkCrawler on