As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Captain forever!

MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17NebraskaRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the wild world of captain forever! where you can be a captain..... FOREVER!

Start.png

You are the captain of the s.s. Nemesis! this ship is IMMORTAL! when its core is threatened, the ship's temporal shield will break, causing a massive explosion and sending it back in time!

Unfortunately this explosion tends to attract.... Unwanted attention. pirates and the law will descend upon you, shooting first and asking questions later!

As you progress in fights and collect bits, you may notice a color change, this means they are stronger! green is weakest, whereas white or tye-dye is strongest!

for instance, a white bolt will tear through green blocks without hesitation, whereas a default bolt (from your heart shaped core) will take AGES to bore through white blocks.

Here's the ship i made, just before tye-dye law enforcers tore me to shreds!!

so.... Defend yourself! click and drag parts to create your own ship!

The cross bars are lasers - more color means more damage and range!
The U shaped things are boosters - more color means more thrust!
Experiment with your own creations.

Ship.png

Fly ships like this!
http://www.captainforever.com/captainforever.php?cfe=nqlbqrnagorxa23dqw1kt2p5xhn55dolspxnofe1wlfn2pcuhn2xtrhfqxcrfi4yxftg11emt50ufm3dxcojqpwjjaqp0ylbr5pthspva2o10wlf2n15zgbv5a3lg1wnotp0x5m2f14rlucsq5h3iwcof3sx0ibf1eagbfwbtht

Enjoy being a captain forever! play a clean start HERE

P.s. i forgot to mention, that you can export your doomed ship and let others play it! post the image of the ship you made and the link like the one above!

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
Mighty on

• Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game is pretty sick, must admit.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah... i found that a pretty rude strategy is to create a pincer like ship, find a weak side to your enemy and hold them in the pincer while you fire like a madman.

They cant fight back much and you can drill into their tasty core.

And when they DO die, you can drive off with the bits to escape the others.

Mighty on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's a really nice core mechanic here, but they need to have a bit more to do.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    There's a really nice core mechanic here, but they need to have a bit more to do.

There's a much more fleshed out version available that costs money. I think it's called Captain Successor.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I need more time to build a perfect ship made from the bits I collect! People are always shooting apart my symmetry.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kryoptickryoptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This sort of reminds me of Subspace/Continuum with ship building. I can imagine a similar game built around the buildable ship idea. It's fun. Except that Subspace was populated with an inordinate number of elitist assholes.

kryoptic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    A Bear wrote: »
    I need more time to build a perfect ship made from the bits I collect! People are always shooting apart my symmetry.

You can drag parts away with you, or you can click them and pull them along whilst you escape.

I made my ship look the way it did so i could abscond with bits of my opponents

there are also times when you kill ships when it says "you got time to build"

Mighty on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The guys on the RebelFM podcast were really talking this game up a few months back. I briefly tried playing it, but couldn't figure out if there was a way to increase the screen size. I might have been on a work computer, though.

SteevL on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love this game, for some reason it isn't blocked at work, and while I do work, I also have LOTS of downtime, this should remedy that heh

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    why arent you guys posting your dead ship links!?

That was 1/2 the reason i made this thread

Mighty on
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can never get my ship strong enough to hold out against anything stronger than blue. Even using your ship, which is way better than anything i've made, i its still really hard to take on white or the rainbow guys. Although i did once manage to kill a rainbow guy and steal abunch of his guns. Man those things tear through everything.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hot dang this game is awesome. I got my guns shot off so for a time I was just flying around other ships, getting them to fight each other and scavenging them when they blew up. Being able to disable an enemy's thrusters/weapons and use them for cover is great. I made a big cattle catcher type thing so I could scoop up the parts from other ships and fly away, attaching them once I found a safe spot. Here's what my ship looks like right now.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    After playing it through a few times, I really think broad sides are the best bet.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is my favorite so far. It was just about to take out a blue ship when another blue with 8 front guns warped in and obliterated it.
    http://www.captainforever.com/captainforever.php?cfe=nqlbqdnagfixbtrdqw10n2pjdhnegnuhwtxa2iqpw5zaas1xlbrg23lsiwnrvqcxaubqpd2gbfsbtht

Madpoet on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I got one, I got one!
    igotone.jpg

The white ships are a trap. I managed to make:
    This
    and 2 seconds later it was:
    This

Madpoet on
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It might just be me, but if I start my ship with different designs it seems to bring different difficulties. Once I decided to place my engines at the side for better turn at first but I got yellow level ships attacking as opposed to single gun green ones.

Anyone else had something similar?

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I haven't played the game in some time, but here's what I quit with once nothing was able to beat me anymore:

Alien Battlecruiser Mk. II

Don't.. uh.. don't fire while turning really fast.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Don't.. uh.. don't fire while turning really fast.

Don't fire while turning at all, really. It is quite impressive, though. Madpoet's orange ship is actually really nicely built. miscellaneousinsanity's ship needs more boosters on the front to help with the turning. I only started this a few minutes ago, but I think my beginner-level design is decent enough: Captain N00b

I had another green laser on the front for surgically taking out cores once I exposed them with my broadsides, but a yellow ship showed up and tagged me with a burst of three lasers, and I had to scavenge to rebuild my previous design and was short one weapon.

thepizzaelemental on
    MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My favorite part of the game is the lasers providing the soundtrack when you hold the fire button down.

Has anyone else chipped in for Captain Successor? I'm torn... it has a lot of cool options, but I find it a lot harder to keep my parts alive and near impossible to make a ship I like. It also seems to have a lot of really killer enemies.

Madpoet on