As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting a PS3; need purchasing advice

Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook!Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
Alright, it's tax refund season and I want to buy a PS3 to keep my 360 company. Looking through the ads, I've seen the slim PS3 for the new price and some used older models at Gamestop ($229 for a 40gig, $249 for an 80gig non-BC and $279 for an 80gig BC). While a new slim one would be dandy, I have to take both the cost of the system and the games I'd like to purchase along with it into account (cheaper system = more games I can buy etc etc).

Here's my questions: is the slim version worth forking over the extra cash compared to the refurbished ones? Are any of the older models superior/inferior to the other older models? Finally, what games would you recommend the most (already beaten Infamous and MGS4 on a friend's system)?

ygPIJ.gif
Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
Johnny Chopsocky on

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Older models are likely more prone to failure, but PS3's are pretty much bullet proof as far as failure rates go. There's no reason to not get a slim though if you aren't going for backwards compatibility unles yu really want to save money.

-Loki- on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The only real reason to want an older model over the slim is the varying degrees of backwards compatibility that available.

Personally, I'm not a fan of buying used hardware unless the hardware isn't available new. (I.E. Discontinued)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It depends on how much you want PS2 backwards compatibility. They use quite a bit more power, run hotter and thus, sound like jets when the fans kick in. Plus, since they run hotter, they're more susceptible to YLOD's (though they're still not that common). I love my BC PS3, though I was having second thoughts when my PS3 was fucking up from March-June last year.

If you're not getting a BC PS3 though, just go for the Slim. It's smaller, quieter, cooler (as in cold, not 'kewl') and uses less power than the old PS3's.

All PS3's are BC with PS1 games by the way, in case you didn't know that.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    and PS3's are region free with PS3 games (sorry, not PSOne region-free, I tried it and it didn't work)

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I missed the game suggestion part. Time to repost my list of awesome.

Accessories you'll need:
    • A cheap HDMI cable - I'm guessing you already know how much of a ripoff most HDMI cables are, so this is self explanatory.
    • Bluetooth headset - Most random ones should work fine, though the official one is meant to be of good quality.
    • PS2-PS3 Memory Card Converter - Useful for transfering both PS1 and PS2 saves.

As for exclusive PS3 games, here are the ones I'd highly recommend:
    • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    • inFamous
    • Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    • Ratchet & Clank: Crack in Time
    • Demon's Souls
    • Valkyria Chronicles
    • LittleBigPlanet
    • God of War Collection - It's relatively cheap and both games look FAR better than the PS2 versions.
    • White Knight Chronicles - Check my WKC thread for details.
    • Metal Gear Solid 4 - I can only really recommend it if you've followed the series' storyline. It's very continuity heavy.
    • Killzone 2 - Looks amazing and has a unique feel.

And coming real soon (as in before the end of March):
    • Yakuza 3 - Sequel to one of the best PS2 games around. There's a Yakuza 1+2 recap if you haven't played those two before. GET IT!
    • Final Fantasy XIII - On the 360 as well but really, if you own both systems there's no reason to get the 3/4-disc, compressed audio version.
    • God of War 3
    • Heavy Rain

Oh yeah and the PSN:
    • Flower
    • Super Stardust HD
    • Rachet & Clank: Quest for Booty
    • Shatter
    • Critter Crunch
    • PixelJunk Monsters
    • PixelJunk Eden
    • PixelJunk Shooter
    • Comet Crash
    • Everyday Shooter
    • Noby Noby Boy
    • Crash Commando

As for Blu-Rays, make sure you pick up The Dark Knight. This is the BD I pull out every time I want to convert friends and family and it has a huge success rate. The IMAX scenes look wonderful.

Unco-ordinated on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've had my PS3 for four years, quite often made stupid errors with it like leaving a DVD paused and gone off to work so its been running for eight hours solid, and i've never had any significant problems with it.

the only small problem I've had is that sometimes I'll hit the disc eject button (though its more a sensor area, not an actual button), the drive will spin but it won't eject the disc, or it will eject it a small distance but not far enough out to actually grab it. Pressing eject a few more times gets it out, though.

So, while I normally recommend against used hardware, the PS3 is one of the more reliable examples of console hardware and you shouldn't have any problems. As long as you grab one from somewhere that offers at least a small warranty on used gear (6month-1year) you should be fine.

I'd recommend not forking out the extra cash for the 80gb HDD unless you intend to hook the PS3 up to Sony's Playstation Network and be downloading game demos and game Downloadable Content all the time. a 40GB hard drive is more than sufficient for those purposes and you'll save yourself a lot of cash.

As for games, I'd definitely recommend Assassins' Creed II and Grand Theft Auto IV if you haven't played them on another platform. Most games are pretty much released for both PS3 and Xbox360 at the same time, so any games you've been thinking of getting for the 360, just get them for PS3 instead and you should be pretty happy. There aren't all that many platform exclusive games.

Dhalphir on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'd recommend not forking out the extra cash for the 80gb HDD unless you intend to hook the PS3 up to Sony's Playstation Network and be downloading game demos and game Downloadable Content all the time. a 40GB hard drive is more than sufficient for those purposes and you'll save yourself a lot of cash.

There's definitely going to be stuff on PSN you want. There's a lot of good stuff on there. But I'd recommend this as well - mainly because for the price difference you could probably grab any old 2.5" SATA 320gb HDD and put it in hassle free. You'll definitely want more than 40gb.

-Loki- on
    edited February 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    As for games, I'd definitely recommend Assassins' Creed II and Grand Theft Auto IV if you haven't played them on another platform. Most games are pretty much released for both PS3 and Xbox360 at the same time, so any games you've been thinking of getting for the 360, just get them for PS3 instead and you should be pretty happy. There aren't all that many platform exclusive games.

o_O That's some unbelievably bad logic there. Why exactly would he be happy if he's just playing games he could already play on his 360? According to your advice, he may as well've not even bought a PS3. Besides, there's plenty of PS3 exclusives.

Oh and the HDD space is a moot point. PS3 HDD's (2.5" SATA) are cheap as hell, I've got a 320GB HDD in mine.

Unco-ordinated on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As previously stated, a BC PS3 is only worth purchasing if you plan to use it. I still play more PS2 games than PS3 games (I'm having to force myself to finish Uncharted 2, which is kind of a bitter pill), so it's an obvious purchase for me.

Apparently, earlier PS3s are more vulnerable to blu-ray drive failures and 'YLOD'--that might effect your choice, but I think they're fairly rare.

I personally stick to PS3 exclusives, is multiplatform games tend to be better on the Xbox 360 (at least in my opinion), as well as a personal preference of controllers. And don't worry about HDD, it's very hard to run out.

Synthesis on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Duck edit - Puttin this in a spoiler because you are a silly goose
    GET VALKYRIA CHRONICLES

RIGHT NOW

DO NOT WAIT

BY THE TIME YOU FINISH READING THIS SENTENCE YOU SHOULD BE IN THE CAR ON YOUR WAY TO YOUR GAME STORE OF PREFERENCE TO BUY VALKYRIA CHRONICLES

Rent on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So what I'm getting from this thread is "lean towards the slim, but the PS3 is sturdy and the used one should last". Also, apparently I'm supposed to buy Valkyria Chronicles (which I just might because it's $20 brand new @ Gamestop). I'm not too clear on that one, though. Too much subtlety from Rent.

The God Of War games are a given. GoW 3 is the primary reason that I'm getting a PS3 right now.

One additional question: on the slim and older models, does the PS3 HDMI cord have a separate audio-out cord or is it all in one? I ask this because the PS3 is going to be plugged into my computer monitor and I'd like to run the audio through my computer speakers and not my monitor.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's all in one.

And seriously buy Demon's Souls.

As for VC you should probably check out the demo, and keep in mind that inbetween every mission you're gonna have like 15 minutes worth of anime to watch at least.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So what I'm getting from this thread is "lean towards the slim, but the PS3 is sturdy and the used one should last". Also, apparently I'm supposed to buy Valkyria Chronicles (which I just might because it's $20 brand new @ Gamestop). I'm not too clear on that one, though. Too much subtlety from Rent.

The God Of War games are a given. GoW 3 is the primary reason that I'm getting a PS3 right now.

One additional question: on the slim and older models, does the PS3 HDMI cord have a separate audio-out cord or is it all in one? I ask this because the PS3 is going to be plugged into my computer monitor and I'd like to run the audio through my computer speakers and not my monitor.

Don't take my word for this because I don't own a PS3, but you might be able to feed video through the HDMI cable into your TV, and then use the standard AV Multi-Out for audio to your computer speakers.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Demon's Souls is the best game on the system.
    Also consider getting Siren: Blood Curse if you're at all into horror gaming, since few other people around these parts ever remember to recommend it.

Xagarath on
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, my fiancee just picked up Siren: Blood Curse and has apparently been loving it. Looked pretty freaky what little of it I've seen her play.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

Ehhhhhhhhhhh

Ehhhhhhhhh

I'll have to spend a lot more time with it before I can definitely say this is wrong, but I've been enjoying the Uncharted games quite a bit more

It's just so frustrating sometimes

joshofalltrades on
  • datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's all in one.

As for VC you should probably check out the demo, and keep in mind that inbetween every mission you're gonna have like 15 minutes worth of anime to watch at least.

I wish there was a super lime color to make lime even more lime. Because Demon's Souls kicks ass. Seriously. Hardest but most rewarding game I've played in a long time.

datac0re on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Valkyria Chronicles
    I don't insist you buy the game, but you are doing yourself a terrible disservice if you don't try the demo. The demo gives a (very) light taste of the general rules of gameplay, but there ends up being a lot more to it than that. If the demo's gameplay + an above-par but very-Japanese story don't sell you? Well, thanks for tryin' the demo. :^:

Siren: Blood Curse.
    siren-1.jpg
    This is, I think, one of the most under-appreciated games on the system. It's not as good looking as most other exclusives, but that doesn't make me love it any less. My amateur review is linked above - but if you check out Metacritic you'll find it's the most acclaimed survival horror tittle on the current gen. I know that only has it in competition with Silent Hill: Homecoming and (eugh) Alone In The Dark - which isn't a huge mark in its favor - but it's still worth a look.

There is a demo - but the demo sucks at illustrating what makes the game great.

Demon's Souls.
    Some sites had the balls to give Demon's Souls their GotY nod for 2009, and I can't say I disagree with them. In all measurable criteria (save originality), Uncharted 2 is the best game of 2009 - but Demon's Souls is absolutely exceptional in some immeasurable ways. Let's just say if you miss the thrill games could give when we were kids, Demon's Souls is the game for you.

No demo.

inFamous.
    ...which you said you already beat at a friend's place. But y'know what? I don't care. Disregarding the open-world-ness, disregarding the karma system, the elegant solutions to the problems of other third-person shoooters and the whole superhero thing, inFamous is the most intensely pleasurable platformer I've played in years. Granted, it took me like, five playthroughs to realize how much I love it - but you may discover your feelings for the game exceed "like" as well.

Give it a shot, if you find it on the cheap one day.

Ratchet & Clank Future - Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty and A Crack In Time.
    Tools of Destruction was actually the very first game I picked up for my PS3. I think the reason these games are flying (a little) under the radar these days is because they're such a known quantity. Whenever a core Ratchet & Clank title comes out (whether back on the PS2 or now the PS3), it will be one of the better games released that year, and - along with the core gameplay and general design - that never changes. They're awesome, but we're used to it. There's a demo for Tools of Destruction and two demos for A Crack In Time.

Heavenly Sword
    The gameplay is merely okay, but Heavenly Sword's presentation is still boggling, even three years later. I found myself a copy for $30 and feel it was a steal.

There's a demo.

Uncharted and, of course, Uncharted 2
    I probably don't have to tell you about these games. If you know enough about gaming to come to Penny Arcade, you know what Uncharted is.

There are demos, but to be honest I hated the demo for the original. It wasn't until - after the limitless recommendations around here - I rented the game that I decided I liked it, and after beating it on Crushing difficulty I had to admit it's a masterpiece.

Resistance 1 and 2.
    ...can be found pretty cheap these days. I'm not about to tell you they're the best of the best, but they do plug in to that mid-90s gamer hunger that Doom pounded into me: Here are some monsters. Shoot them with your gun.

Killzone 2.
    Is also getting cheaper. It's still absolutely gorgeous, and (unlike some) I love the immersion and the way the controls feel. It's definitely an acquired taste, though. There's a demo.

Little Big Planet.
    Some aren't interested, some (like me) don't mind the game, and some folks - my older brother, for example - are perfectly happy playing LBP and nothing but LBP's limitless online component day after day after day. I'm not kidding - he spent about a year playing nothing but LBP, only wriggling free of its adorable kung-fu grip when he finally decided to try the copy of Uncharted 2 I gave him for Christmas.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited February 2010
    Also consider getting Siren: Blood Curse if you're at all into horror gaming, since few other people around these parts ever remember to recommend it.

:^:

We don't always agree, but when we do, we really do.

Chance on
    edited February 2010

Ehhhhhhhhhhh

Ehhhhhhhhh

I'll have to spend a lot more time with it before I can definitely say this is wrong, but I've been enjoying the Uncharted games quite a bit more

It's just so frustrating sometimes

The game being frustrating is just it's way of telling you to man up and bring your A game.

I've spent more time in Demon's Souls than any other PS3 game. Such a badass game.

This pretty much explains it all, really.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    This pretty much explains it all, really.

Yep - the greater the glory.

Chance on
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Valkyria Chronicles
    White Knight Chronicles (just noticed both use 'Chronicles in their titles)
    Demon's Souls
    Uncharted series
    Ratchet & Clank series
    God of War series
    Lair (its ok but its like $15 new)

I bought a PS3 this past Xmas, and the biggest thing you'll notice is mass repetition of games--there are some spectacular titles for PS3-only, but a majority are cross-platform. Don't get the mindset of thinking you're opening yourself to a whole new world--its got lots of cool stuff, but if you still plan on primarily playing your 360, you'll notice tons of similarities.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I haven't seen MAG name-dropped yet, so I'm gonna recommend it. Strong squad-based multiplayer shooter.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited February 2010
    Chance wrote: »

Killzone 2.
    Is also getting cheaper. It's still absolutely gorgeous, and (unlike some) I love the immersion and the way the controls feel. It's definitely an acquired taste, though. There's a demo.

Agreed.
    Surprised how much I'm enjoying this one, especially given my general antipathy towards console FPSs.
    Chance wrote: »
    . I know that only has it in competition with Silent Hill: Homecoming and (eugh) Alone In The Dark - which isn't a huge mark in its favor - but it's still worth a look.
    There's Silent Hill: SM, Cursed Mountain and The Grudge as well, though I'm really not sure the last counts as competition for anything

Xagarath on
    edited February 2010

Don't take my word for this because I don't own a PS3, but you might be able to feed video through the HDMI cable into your TV, and then use the standard AV Multi-Out for audio to your computer speakers.

They patched it in a while ago. You can output video via HDMI and separately output Audio via DVI.

-Loki- on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've never ever heard Demon's Souls described as fun. Always "punishing, but rewarding".

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've never ever heard Demon's Souls described as fun. Always "punishing, but rewarding".

Pretty much this

And since my LP, very few people tell me to "man up and bring my A game"

joshofalltrades on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought Demon's Souls was fun. Hell, I let my friend try out my copy on Friday and he beat the first level in a single sitting, with about six deaths in total, and he's a master at MegaMan.
    Why is it that whenever Demon's Souls even gets so much as mentioned, it turns into the difficulty debate? Cos I've had a worse time with Devil May Cry than Demon's Souls.

Mortal Sky on
    edited February 2010
    There are dozens and dozens of harder games. I've never understood the complaint.

For instance, right now I'm finding the original Fatal Frame harder, simply because it lets you put yourself in a position you cannot recover from in the long run, which DS never does.

Xagarath on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There are dozens and dozens of harder games. I've never understood the complaint.

For instance, right now I'm finding the original Fatal Frame harder, simply because it lets you put yourself in a position you cannot recover from in the long run, which DS never does.

That seems like it's hard by poor game design, rather than hard in a fair and rewarding way, which is why DS gets a lot of love.

And whenever I play DS, I'm always tense and terrified. It always leaves me exhausted, but it's worth it.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    LittleBigPlanet.

Little. Big. Planet.

Speed Racer on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Demon's Souls is awesome, it's no more difficult than a number of other games, it's just the BACK TO THE START attitude that earns it it's reputation.

Also, with regard to which PS3 to get, it doesn't matter to most people but if you have any intention of installing Linux on it (and yes, with all the drivers, using a thumb drive for a swap file etc it does perform really quite well) then you need to go for a fat. Slim doesn't have the Other OS option.

:edit: Damn it Speed, everytime someone mentions LBP I have to go download the newest add-ons and make a level. You've just destroyed my free time tomorrow night.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited February 2010
    LittleBigPlanet.

Little. Big. Planet.

Man, my save for this died when I upgraded my HDD. I lost everything, and though I love the game, it's a trudge going back to go through everything again. Maybe when I finish up a couple of other games I'll go and do it again. And I just bought an 8" sackboy to sit on my desk...

But yeah, buy LittleBigPlanet. It's all kinds of fun.

-Loki- on
    edited February 2010
    It's all in one.

As for VC you should probably check out the demo, and keep in mind that inbetween every mission you're gonna have like 15 minutes worth of poorly written anime to watch at least.

Slightly modified, but yes, check out the demo before buying VC. It is not a game for everyone (if you don't like the turn-based strategy, for example, you probably won't like it).

Of course, there's a chance you might love the game, so do check out the demo nonetheless. I did so, found I didn't like it, but you may be different.

Synthesis on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Demon's Souls is awesome, it's no more difficult than a number of other games, it's just the BACK TO THE START attitude that earns it it's reputation.

Also, with regard to which PS3 to get, it doesn't matter to most people but if you have any intention of installing Linux on it (and yes, with all the drivers, using a thumb drive for a swap file etc it does perform really quite well) then you need to go for a fat. Slim doesn't have the Other OS option.

:edit: Damn it Speed, everytime someone mentions LBP I have to go download the newest add-ons and make a level. You've just destroyed my free time tomorrow night.

Destroyed? I enlightened you, and drew you back to the One True Path.

Speed Racer on
  • sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If it were me just now buying a PS3, I would get a 120Gb Slim. If you feel you need more space than that (not sure why), then it is way more cost effective to buy a 250Gb from Newegg (I got one for $45) as opposed to spending an extra $100 on a system that already had that size HD. I hear the failure rates of the Slims are lower, but then again, they havent been out that long so who knows. I have an 80Gb PS3. It recently broke and I had to send it in for repair. Its been like 3 weeks and I still dont have it back (although UPS says I should have it this week). From what I have read the PS3 failure rate is WAY lower than 360, but any gadget is going to have an issue at some point in time. My NES is still hangin in there like a champ though!

sushiboy on
    Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
    AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
    PM me if you add any of my codes
  • sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    obviously you need to preorder Final Fantasy 13.

i am pretty partial to the Ninja Gaiden Sigma games as well.

sushiboy on
    Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
    AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
    PM me if you add any of my codes
    edited February 2010
    sushiboy wrote: »
    obviously you need to preorder Final Fantasy 13.

i am pretty partial to the Ninja Gaiden Sigma games as well.

Even though I own both of them, and I'm a gushing NG fanboy, I'd be reluctant to recommend them to OP if he already owns an Xbox 360.

Mostly because both Sigma games are hilariously dumbed down remakes. Why, I have no idea, but they are. Sigma 2 is particularly bad in this regard (they took out ranged charged attacks, individual saves, the grading system, meaningful upgrading, 90% of the gore, and basically everything that remotely resembled a puzzle).

Might be wiser to just get NG: Black (backwards compatible) and Ninja Gaiden II if you want to play the sequel.

Synthesis on
    edited February 2010
    If the OP is really hurting for an action/brawler type game exclusive to the PS3, there's always God of War Collection. They're still awesome games, and with the third one coming up, it's a pretty good time to get acquainted with the series.

-Loki- on
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    sushiboy wrote: »
    If it were me just now buying a PS3, I would get a 120Gb Slim. If you feel you need more space than that (not sure why), then it is way more cost effective to buy a 250Gb from Newegg (I got one for $45) as opposed to spending an extra $100 on a system that already had that size HD. I hear the failure rates of the Slims are lower, but then again, they havent been out that long so who knows. I have an 80Gb PS3. It recently broke and I had to send it in for repair. Its been like 3 weeks and I still dont have it back (although UPS says I should have it this week). From what I have read the PS3 failure rate is WAY lower than 360, but any gadget is going to have an issue at some point in time. My NES is still hangin in there like a champ though!
    Only $50 more, but you have a good point.

corky842 on